Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Orv posted:

Alright But How Does It Look In Motion?

In a word? :dong:

I have been reading the pre-launch thread for a while and can confirm this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Archimago posted:

Hope it is of some use to people without save files but who made all the Right Choices. :smug:

How is saving someone with plot armor the right choice? When the Saskia DLC comes, you'll be sorry! ...:smith:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
No Witcher story is your name is Geralt, you are a superhuman, you kill monsters, your girlfriend is Triss, trolls are awesome, elves suck.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Demiurge4 posted:

Man Quen is such a loving crutch and everyone abuses the gently caress out of it. Quit using Quen you cowards! :argh:

uses quen to shield myself from your criticism

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Orv posted:

Some of the best faces and facial animation video games have ever seen.

E: Skip to 50 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnIxXtthiYw

He says "witcher's code" like it isn't something he's just making up as he goes along.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Was showing a friend an old trailer and noticed this - weather systems are cool

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I still don't care about Ciri and Yennefer but I assume I will once I also play the game The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
My reaction to this thread

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Basebf555 posted:

Ah, that makes sense. I'm going to be playing on PS4 and I forgot you all are on PC.

Solidarity (and 14 minute wait still) buddy.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Wow it is so pretty on my PS4. One thing no screenshot will ever show is all the stuff rippling around in the wind, or because of movement.
Some of these tutorial villagers are weird though. I met a kid that wouldn't stop yawning at me and I bumped into an old lady and she made some sort of low guttural fuckoff noise.
It's like a painting though. :allears: And they have done a lot to improve the facial animations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
My name is Geralt of Rivia, and not only am I the worst witcher in the world, but I may also be the worst horseback rider in the world.
But if you ignore my issues, my horse is a great witcher when he's not photobombing cutscenes by standing around not giving a poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQE79-VQu84

In all seriousness I think I may need to bump difficulty up to Death March because I haven't encountered anything I couldn't kill in one go yet.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Nien posted:

GOTY. Are there any haters?

I couldn't pet a cat I found at the inn one night. I'll wait and see if the dlc remedies this before making any drastic decisions. :colbert:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Only thing I wish (for PS4) is bigger text. To read the ability descriptions I have to walk over and squat next to the TV.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

EDIT: Herbs also respawn *really* fast so there's no reason to pick every flower.

Nice try.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Got my first crash on PS4. I was passing on my winning round of Gwent against the guy in the emperor's garden. :negative:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Geralt is the reincarnation of that horse from Shadow of the Colossus.

PirateBob posted:

Gwent: how do you stop passing? I've tried it a couple times and my opponent just keeps drawing cards until he can win. I only wanted to pass one turn, dammit.

You don't get to pass only one turn. You must be confident in your strategy before you elect to pass. :smug:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Got an adorable white horse that matches my hair. Thanks, random aggressive highwayman!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
^ He also refers to the subject of the story as "my dear friend Geralt".

Pylons posted:

It's the same dude according to IMDB. Maybe he's narrating the story as a super old elf now?

Dandelion is not an elf.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Someone was looking for inexpensive Emerald Dust right? Wraiths drop it, there's a few of them on the Hunt a Witch quest (main story).

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I should have told this stupid sorceress to leave when she got scared of the rats, she keeps knocking the boss out of Axii.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
e: Actually first first make sure you equip it from your inventory.

First open your radial menu with L1 and select the crossbow in the lower section. Then using it requires pressing R1, but I've never actually used it so I don't know exactly how you aim or w/e. I assume R1 enters aiming and releasing R1 shoots.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
How do I get under the tree on Whispering Hillock? Been running around the search area in SuperFOVMode for a while, see nothing.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
They make a strong effort to seamlessly introduce all the background story elements so you don't have to play the first two.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I finally did it. 11 hours in and I finally got my first sex scene. Witcher 1 and 2 started with sex scenes, CDProjekt is slipping. I also bumped into Letho.
Sounds like an interesting sex scene.

fivegears4reverse posted:

gently caress the North imo
Yep.

Also was Ciri ever mentioned in the first two games? I feel she is like The Key in Buffy. Hello sister daughter! :v:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Did you guys know that kings do the fightin' and peasants do the dyin'

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Deaderinred posted:

she got mentioned alot during flashbacks and stuff in witcher 2.

Are you confusing Ciri with Yennefer? I do not remember Ciri being mentioned at all.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
One of the story bosses has a ledge about four feet above its arena just to trim your health a bit more. However if you press your jump key while in the air, Geralt will roll when he lands and doesn't lose health, or as much health. I only know this because someone else said it here, if there was a tutorial I probably missed it while mashing X to go faster or w/e.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Deaderinred posted:

geralt mentions ciri left the world after teleporting yen and geralt to that sex tree magic place

Oh. She's so considerate...

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Harrow posted:

How are people liking Sign-heavy builds this time around? It appears that's what I've started to work towards, though I'm only level 4 so it's not like I've made any real commitments yet. I went heavy into Alchemy in The Witcher 2, but Signs seem more exciting this time around.

I'm sad because I don't have enough slots for all the thingies I picked, so I am trying to invest in one thing as much as possible before picking another. My stuff right now is like:

-Magic: Axii +3 (for maximum mind melting in dialogues, though I haven't noticed any special options yet)
-Misc: Adrenaline increases Sign damage
-Misc: Signs can be cast with adrenaline
-Misc: Signs generate adrenaline
-Combat: Adrenaline loss from getting hit is lower...iirc I'm only leveling this one so I can get to the last box on that branch which is like "use adrenaline to become God of Signs" or something

I'll probably stick with Axii and Yrden since I barely used them in the other games and I felt guilt. Igni seems nice too though.
Quen is being ignored because I am strong-willed. :colbert:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I'm playing on the PS4 version and I can't seem to be able to skip anything. I'm punching Square like crazy. What gives?

Pressing the skip button only skips portions of a cutscene, I guess because it's loading stuff in the background or something. There was a boss where I had to press it like 5 times to get to the end and the individual sections would freeze up if I went too fast.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Alighieri posted:

Played for about 5 hours so far over the last two days. The game looks better to me then the 2013 video. Have all settings maxed and hair turned on, looks absolutely gorgeous. The different color pallet alone makes it much better then what was shown previously. If I had to stare at grey constantly I would gouge my eyes out.

Yeah two of my favorite things in this game is the unabashed use of color and also the sound environment holy gently caress

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Geralt is not actually from Germany or Poland or English (US) or English (UK).

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dydMsR0IBZI

Ow! :spooky:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Psiharis posted:

I loved Geralt's Cinderella aside. "Well the monster ate everything except one shoe so..." "Shut up Geralt, I'm trying to get my fantasy princess on!"

I did a cursory googling to see if I could pull up anything on Godlings, but didn't have much luck there. Is there a more common English name for whatever that thing was? It's familiar enough to pique my curiosity but after a while, all those old folklore creatures feel that way.

The bestiary has an entry on it, it is a friendly spirit that is attracted to joy and thus usually only reveals itself to children. It does favors in exchange for respect and old tools, but if an area becomes too populous or if people forget their old accords with it, it will leave. The bestiary entry says they are frequently mistaken for lutins. It is under the bestiary category "relicts", which also has the entry for the Crones. I would say it is a kind of creature that predates most other things in the world like elves and such, but for a real-life basis I would say a brownie or fairy.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Ice Fist posted:

Spoilers for a side quest:

I just finished A Tower full of Mice. Inside the tower there is a locked door. Has anyone found the key? I scoured the entire loving island and didn't find it.

There's another quest set there later. Try progressing and coming back then.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

pissdude posted:

Just did the cave quest in Velen with Keira, fought a Wild Hunt warrior and that golem. This game is really fun

That Wild Hunt guy...he never walked out toward me and Keira would push him up against a wall, and then it was very hard for me to attack him because he'd just squat there in a blocking stance in which my sword did almost no damage. I ended up having to do the fight by casting my Lv1 Igni over and over again.

Also there's 2 golems to fight in that cave!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Manatee Cannon posted:

She deals damage. You could just stay behind the golem and hit it from behind forever while it tries to kill her, it seemed like it took more damage from there and when it covers itself it doesn't block its back.

The golem never stopped trying to attack me when I was in close enough a range to hit it, even if I approached it from behind. What difficulty are you playing on?

^Also re: Yrden it stomps the golem too, and even if that was the only enemy it was in the game for...I accept.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Ciaphas posted:

About an hour in to the game. Having not playing Witcher 1 or 2, should I know what the hell the Wild Hunt is, or who Yennefer and Trish actually are?

Also how much time passed between the prologue and the present, I always mess up dates :(

Triss is your girlfriend. Yennefer is your girlfriend from before you lost your memory. The Wild Hunt is your girlfriend that you broke up with because she keeps kidnapping people, including your other girlfriends.
I guess read the character entries in the glossary?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Brackhar posted:

So I'm playing on the hardest difficulty, but I'm finding I'm running into a lot of trouble even when fighting a group of drowners at the beginning of the game. Everything seems 4 or so levels higher than me, and they hurt a ton! Any advice for playing on this difficult?

I find strong attack works better on them than fast attack. Do 2 strong attacks, then re-position. Don't get baited into chasing after them while they hop backwards because they are just going to punish you.

Oh also if you have to fight more than one just give up all hope and turn off the game. You can probably pull them one at a time though if their patrol paths are on your side. Might be able to use crossbow too.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Weasling Weasel posted:

I'm playing an alchemy build, which is pretty annoying because I can't find any oils or potion diagrams anywhere. I've just started the Novigrad quest chain at around level 12, so I thought I'd have more than the ones I have. I picked up Enhanced Swallow so would have thought I should have most of the basic level oils/potions by now. Is there someone in particular that sells them, or is it just time to go around hunting the '?'s

The game has respec potions so imo you should work on stuff you have and then later when you have alchemy you can do alchemy. I think Keira sells one of the potions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Is there a trick to this werewolf in Wild at Heart or do I just need to get a better sword?