Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

triss your bottom bitch, sometimes a player gotta go with loyalty son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Fwiw I like Yen more and I haven't read the books at all.

I feel like Triss and Geralt get all puppy dog eyed at each other for sure, but in terms of actual relationship Yen and Geralt are a bit better. Maybe it's just because of the dialogue choices I picked but I never really thought Yen was being unreasonably mad (she was butthurt for like 30 seconds and then got over it, what more do you want?) nor do I take her flirting slash bossiness as Geralt being henpecked or bitchiness or anything. They just seem comfortable enough to talk poo poo to each other and not have it be anything more than just playful banter, which makes sense since Yen mentioned they'd been doing their thing for like 15-20 years. They might as well be a married couple. Yeah she comes off as abrasive and a dick on the surface but she's definitely got her moments where she's just 'see I can be super reconciliatory I was just giving you poo poo lover :)'

Plus Yen's romance quests on Skellige are way more personal and meaningful vs Triss' 'damsel in distress and now I love you' routine.

Triss is like the waifu choice and Yen is the actual woman with personality choice.

I feel like a lot of people are overly sensitive to video game girls who don't just immediately jump on the player's dick. :shrug: I saw someone say Yen was being a bitch about some line and when I got to that line I laughed because it was obviously a playful joke at Geralt's expense (Trial of Grasses joke).

WoodrowSkillson posted:

triss your bottom bitch, sometimes a player gotta go with loyalty son

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Gotta say that I absolutely loved the look on Thaler's face when (Major quest spoilers) Geralt tells Dijkstra he won't let him kill them. I liked Dijkstra too, but not enough to let him kill three cool and good characters in one blow. :colbert:

i like him too, but i liked how it was totally in character and him and geralt kinda look at each other like "welp business is business"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Nasgate posted:

I don't understand people's troubles with starting gwent. I beat the Baron on my second try and he was the first person I played cards with after white orchard.

my only trouble starting gwent was making sure to tell the first dude who suggested it to gently caress off and then never playing it again

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Cole posted:

pretty funny that seemingly everyone in the Witcher universe plays pokemon.

"um excuse me i am Geralt of Rivia, can you point me in the direction of your local comic shop so that I can purchase some booster packs"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i am annoyed they could not just have also had a poker option and in the intro tavern you can say no to the pokemans and go sit in at a poker game

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Man I loved the Dandelion murder/mystery quest line. And it was cool that it culminated in a higher vampire fight. Is this the quest that I kept seeing referenced a few times in this thread where some of you were like "No, that guy you killed wasn't actually the murderer, it was the other guy!"? Cause if it was, I dunno it seemed pretty obvious to me that the coroner couldn't be trusted. Not to mention the clues that showed he just kind of vanished as he escaped (unless he STILL wasn't the murderer). I try to not get into fights if I can help it, and I'm glad I did cause I was able to mind control the one dude who was just a sick bastard who wanted to burn and hurt that one whore in the brothel into not doing anything.

I still murdered the church dude cause gently caress that guy

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

So if I enjoyed Skyrim/Oblivion and want something similar I should not get this game.

You will like this game if you like skyrim, however the combat is in general more difficult and more involved (until you outlevel things/are on death march) and it involves more dialogue and storytelling. Otherwise you get to explore an open world with caves and small dungeons (4/5 rooms really), get fancy new swords and armor, and do tons of sidequests.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

radiatinglines posted:

TES animation and movement philosophy: we can't animate the footwork for your character stepping back and to the left six inches, so we'll just make him slide magically on the ground which looks goofy but takes you where you want to go.

Witcher animation and movement philosophy: we can't animate the footwork for your character stepping back and to the left six inches, so we'll just give your character the turning radius of a guy on a unicycle and you'll have to make a few passes.

the movement is definitely one of the biggest strikes against the game, along with the inventory system being hot garbage.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Spiky Ooze posted:

To me it was the opposite. The Witcher is better at direct storytelling with cutscenes and whatnot, but exploration gameplay doesn't really have anything to it at all. Almost every marker on the map is just a monster, a bandit group, a chest of diagrams that take 2 minutes to deal with if that. (Granted it's entertaining in a collect them all way, to a point)

On Skyrim one marker could take you through a whole underground city with it's own story going on. To me that kind of thing still makes it the greatest RPG.

Only because it was created for a specific sidequest. Like how many truly large areas in skyrim are only there for the purpose of exploring? Most of the biggest and best ones are there for specific quest lines, and while you can certainly explore them beforehand, I feel like that's reaching a bit.

I will grant skyrim has way better dungeon crawling since that is virtually nonexistent in W3.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i actually really like how much more realistic the armor is in the Witcher then a lot of other games. It mostly looks like what it really would have looked like. The are no spikes or other random bits of metal that make no sense, and it uses gamebesons instead of leather (outside of boiling and hardening it into rawhide leather does almost nothing), and even shys away from "studded leather" armor for the most part.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Levantine posted:

I can't wear anything but Ursine armor anymore. Armored trenchcoat for my hardboiled medieval detective.

The ursine armor is loving awesome

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

Are there sick nasty sets of armor and weapons in this game? I haven't really played either of the previous witcher games but from what I understood witcher 1 had some gear, but not a lot, witcher 2 added a decent amount. Where does the third stand?

there are sets of witcher gear that offer the best bonuses and look awesome, as well as plenty of different kinds of other armor to wear if you would rather take a slight performance hit a look the way you want

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

Great, that's what I was hoping was happening.

Thanks for the advice re: jewlery and such, the "magic" classifier on them gave me pause.

For the books, I had heard that there was some book seller in Novigrad that would give full price for 'em? It's probably not worth waiting that long with all this poo poo? I tried to go there first instead of Velen but the game wouldn't even let me select the region.

In general, money is not a major issue after Velen. By the time you really need to be crafting stuff, you will have most of what you need and can afford whatever it costs to just buy the stuff from the smith. So cluttering your inventory with books and poo poo is not really worth it, just sell them for the 1-5 crowns to the next merchant you run across.

As for jewelry, maybe dismantle a few of them so you have some gold/gems in your inv, but after that just hock them, or sell the early ones for cash and dismantle ones later for mats.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Palpek posted:

Or better sell them to the book merchant on the main Novigrad square. Not the one with an actual building but a guy standing on the square. He's paying way better for books.

yes, but that means holding on to them until the next time you are in novigrad.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

how me a frog posted:

The real genius of this loving game is how it gets into your head.

These black ones are alright, maybe the north -could- do with a bit of order. Wait, Nilfgaard, what are you doing? Wait stop no! Oh GOD!

These loving black ones are no good I'ma back Radovid instead. Hey there Radovid, you reasonable fellow, watcha doing with that torch? O_O Maybe I'll go to Skellige.

Hello welcome to Skellige our favorite thing is murder. Well at least they're honest, huh?

I think I backed every single faction at some point and I have no clue which one is the least poo poo.

In the end I figure Nilfgaard is the least evil of the 2 major powers. Its an expansionist empire that starts wars of conquest, but Radovid pretty much did the same thing, and even Temeria was hardly a lovable entity. As things stand at the start of the game, Nilfgaard is the least evil, to me.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

moot the hopple posted:

Are other people finding blacksmiths in general really buggy? Most that I come across are noninteractive unless I meditate for an hour first, but for a couple smith that's not a guaranteed fix. Some smiths won't even appear in their designated spot during the day hours unless I rest.

only 2 bugged merchants i know are the smith in the square in novigrad who will not show up without meditating, and the herbalist in the velen refugee camp abandoned site. The herbalist works the first time, and then after that i can interact with him but never go to the store menu.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

I want to reiterate that getting drunk with your bros is the best scene in the game. Anyone who doesn't keep doing more and more ridiculous things is playing the game wrong.

its one of the best scenes in a game i can think of.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

OMG Ciri died ending the White Frost!:stonk: Pretty sure I did something wrong. What did I do? I tried to build up her confidence, but I wasn't able to convince her not to go. I'm also not 100% sure what happened. Did she save the Aen Elle world? I've heard other people talking about her surviving; can she stop the White Frost and live too?

You babied her a bit too much and did not build up her confidence enough. I do not remember all of the checks, you need to let her confront phillipa alone, go break in to avellach's lab, go pay her respects to the man who helped her, and should refuse payment from the emperor if you took her there. There may be another im forgetting, and I do not know how many are needed to succeed.

Macaluso posted:

Did you completely finish the game yet? Up to the end credits? Do that

Also this

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

No I am not done with the epilogue. It's past my bedtime and I have work tomorrow. drat you work!

They managed to make a meeting with a swordsmith super duper sad. I was like "Geralt you already have too many swords. You don't need another sword!" Then I equipped it and I saw what it was and it was like "Oh nooo that's Ciri's sword. :smith: Why would you do that now you won't be able to fight monsters because every time your draw your silver sword you will break down crying! 'Come fuckin' get some drowners aww yeah :clint: *draws sword* :qq: Abloohoo drowners just bite my liver out right now it's not fair life's not faaair aaaaaaaa' like that."

dude you have 5 minutes left go do it, im not exaggerating, you just need to go to the inn in white orchard

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Attitude Indicator posted:

this has probably been asked before but, the millions of paper scraps and books and whatnot Geralt keeps collecting aren't necessary to keep after I read them, right? Like if I drop a note with a contract on it, the quest won't dissapear or anything as long as i've read it?

No need to keep it unless you really really want to reread them. Just sell them to the nearest general merchant

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

It's just the 'screenplay' of Witcher 3 that doesn't really grab me. Ok I found my girl, oh she's being all weird and we are going off to meet some other guy? Probably for some fetch kinda quest. Yep sure, this guy wants me to find someone/thing. Ok.. lets go meet that Bloody Baron.. oh. He wants me to fetch too..

No, it doesn't make sense and it's frustrating. As I said, it looks amazing and I've got a new rig so I'll keep going and perhaps it will reveal itself as the amazing flower of modern open RPG that some of the people here think it is.

It sounds like you are not a fan of the game, and are taking a really reductionist route to interpreting the quests and stuff, and that's cool, not everyone has to like it. The quests are definitely more on rails then in skyrim or fallout and your options to deal with them are more limited. Describing the bloody baron storyline as a fetch quest is really taking a surface level approach though.

The witcher senses are indeed highlighting stuff and pressing x, but you can be reductionist like that with nearly any game if you want to. What those scenes do for me is:

A - make me feel like fantasy medieval batman
B - flesh out the story even more then the initial notice and conversation, and give context to killing this monster.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Davoren posted:

Oh hey we're getting a Skellige armour set next, maybe it's time for me to find a carry weight mod.

more time listening to trolls talking and new heavy armor, im down to clown

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm not gonna comment on the elder scrolls comparison - I know a lot of people like those games and I did play morrowind for a long time, but I never really liked them and don't see myself ever playing one again.

tbh, witcher 3 really follows morrowind's lead in fleshing out minor questlines with extra content. Morrowind used extra dialogue options that would give a full reason for why you are in cave #244 against yet another ash vampire, but that backstory helped make you feel more involved. Witcher 3 has plenty of dialogue as well as the written notices and witcher sense commentary plus the bestiary/character tabs.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Palpek posted:

I think that the Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion was one of the best things Bethesda has ever done story-wise and gameplay-wise.

Thieves guild in skyrim is just as good.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Wiseblood posted:

I never took that path but it was stated earlier that one option was to take the botchling's blood to the pellar.

When you kill the botchling, you then take its blood to pellar. The pellar then uses the blood to summon the ghost of the miscarried baby during a ritual where you have to protect 3 stones from endlessly spawning wraiths while he communicates with the spirit. He then uses that info to send you on the track of the fisherman's hut

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 23, 2015

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Silentgoldfish posted:

Well poo poo. I've finished the game. Now I don't know what to do. Took me 102 hours - I don't think I've ever spent that much time playing one video game before.

I hope the dlc's are good.

Also, it's pretty drat polished, but so was the Witcher 2 and they released an enhanced edition of that, so maybe that'll happen before I play again.

BTW, and unspoilered because I wish I'd known this earlier: apparently if you want to have a romance you have to lock out the other person completely or it'll all fall apart.

I romanced Triss and finished her plotline before I ever went to Skellige, shagged Yen once but broke things off in The Last Wish, and wound up with Geralt alone at the end of the game. Speaking of endings, if you don't take Ciri to see her father but otherwise do everything right, is that the one where she becomes a witcher? I kind of found the ending cards a bit abrupt, but that's probably because I've played the other two games multiple times each and would like a more Return of the King ending that never ends... but that's probably a bit selfish. The denoument in White Orchid was really nice though.

i romanced triss, and then banged yen once and then never did her other quests. i got the good ending.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Silentgoldfish posted:

Well, that's annoying.

If you successfully romance Triss is there any special dialogue when you meet up again at Kaer Morhan or for the rest of the game or is it business as usual until the end?

almost nothing, you get a scene in novigrad where triss talks about her future plans during the tidying up loose ends portion after kaer morhan but that is it. they clearly intend yen to be the canon choice. the ending scenario is nice though with geralt getting to take it easy and take contracts for fun while triss pays the bills

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

CJacobs posted:

That whole quest chain will sour you quite a bit on Yen most likely, and for good reason. She's kind of a dick. Her personal quest chain afterward shines a better light on her.

she is an angry mother whose child is in danger, she is also a sorceress who gives no fucks

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

"That's private. That's very private" is probably my favourite line in the entire game for just how sheepish Geralt sounds.

you smell wonderful at this funeral

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The trolls were probably the biggest surprise in this game, and the most pleasant. Any of you who kill any of the talking trolls are monsters worse then anything in this game.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Scandalous posted:

I don't think so, and the correct way to do Morkvarg is to lift the curse then stab dat fucker

Agreed

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Did the end credits show what happened to them? In the ending where Radovid takes over, it shows that Zoltan gets burned alive while Dandelion and Priscilla have to watch in horror. I imagine things turn out quite a bit better for them in your ending.

that ending alone should make anyone reconsider letting radovid live. zoltan is the bro to end all bros

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

They already said that Geralt is being retired as the main character

A game about Ciri would be cool. Another Witcher game would be cool.

I'd be happy with a new witcher protagonist and all new characters and settings. There are plenty of references to other witcher schools and whatnot so its not like they are married to the northern kingdoms. Might be cool to see some more environments then Fantasy Poland. Some deserts, maybe a jungle, carribean islands a la asscreed black flag, that kinda stuff.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

gwent is real dumb and its really annoying getting gwent quests that just take up space in your quest log

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

Gwent is really loving awesome... until you get to the point in the game where every game is just "play all your spies, decoys and medics so you have a bajillion cards in your hand and win with ten thousand points." Early on though you actually have to strategize and get a little lucky in some cases. In any case it's a million times better than "WHY THE gently caress DID ALL MY DICE JUST ROLL OFF THE BOARD I BARELY TOUCHED THE CONTROLS gently caress THIS GAME FOREVER" dice poker from the second game.

I look forward to there being some more DLC cards/card types to add some diversity to the "All spies all the time" endgame.

they could have just done like, poker, or really anything that's not medieval pokemons

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

When Ciri tries to heal that unicorn and Falka or whatever tries to take over, she's like "nah I'm good" and forswears magic for good and all, which apparently removed her ability to cast any magic of any sort

It's the kind of thing they could totally retcon (so she could do Witcher signs) or decide to cure her of (so she could do real magic) if they felt like bringing Ciri back in any potential future Witcher game

He poker in red dead at least played kinda like poker and i bet druk poker with eskel and lambert would have been funny as poo poo

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

New look for Ciri coming at some point:

apparently everyone associated with geralt did not learn from his pitchfork incident.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Palpek posted:

Seriously, a chain-mail belly shirt? It's not as weak as Yen's and Triss's DLCs but honestly just looks functionally dumb in a game where all Geralt's outfits are on the realistic side.

to be fair, eskel and lambert have the exact same problem going on, as well as the wolf armor. it seems to be some weird stylistic choice that witchers feel the single most exposed and vulnerable part of their body needs to be left open to attack, and its obvious why she also only has a belly shirt on under it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Xarn posted:

And that is why the griffin school and griffin armor is better. (Also OP signs)

bear armor for live