Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Archimago posted:

I have this with completionist autism on sidequests. But I did not save Saskia (she's alive but still mind controlled or whatever), I saved Triss. But I did get the dagger with the Iroveth mini quest after the fact (which means potentially can be saved later and the city doesn't turn into a blood bath and you get to kill all the Nilfgaardians). I can upload it if that's close enough.

Trying to decide if I want this or my own - better to kill Henselt and leave Roche to be a fugitive, or break the mind control on Saskia? Hard question and I feel like I (appropriately) have no clue how it will affect things in TW3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Drifter posted:

I mean, isn't it purely preference? For me, I'll always like it better on kb/m.

What a strange question.

Some games have a clear winner. For this game that's an arcade stick and two racing wheels.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

those screenshots look awesome but this one confused me:

(will spoiler if random images count as spoilers? dunno)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Drifter posted:

That's one of the older witchers in Geralt's Wolf Clan.

ahh cool - I totally forget about the intro to the first game if he was there. Witcher 1 was so long ago...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Kiggles posted:

Good news! The game looks nearly identical at Low quality as it does at Ultra, despite radical difference in framerate!
I'm on an OC 7850. I'll be doing the same. Just set texture quality to high and forget about it.

He might have meant a core i7-860, not a gpu. That's what I have, with a 770 graphics card, hope the game looks okay.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

this is why you shouldn't have closed the old thread, old OP

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm going to play the video game, the witcher 3, when it comes out.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

net cafe scandal posted:

Looks like the game unlocked early for me... but I'm sorry to say, the graphical downgrade really is loving atrocious. This is not a joke - the game is visually indistinguishable from 1996's The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall.

no doubt the game world is smaller than daggerfall's as well

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Are people making fake posts to poo poo on the thread in response to the sincere posts made to poo poo on the thread

jokes, they're called jokes, people are making jokes on the comedy forum that make light of the very serious issue of the 70s-era ascii graphics

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Drifter posted:

jokes, but for retards. Constant repetitive identical retard jokes.

We may as well just be quoting the 'orange you glad I didn't say banana' knock knock joke for 30 pages.

As opposed to informative discussion about the game that's not out? This thread will have content in about 3 hours but I'm not sure what you expected when you clicked on it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Kimmalah posted:

I love Elder Scrolls but I still have such a hard time getting into it because it really hasn't aged well (mechanics-wise anyway, plot and setting is still great).

Yeah it's like, the series has had systemic issues forever and they're just...not ever addressed because they sell enough regardless. What I wouldn't give for dark souls engine morrowind.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

morrowind came out in 2002. It's contemporaries looked like this:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Spikeguy posted:

Is that supposed to be better or worse?

I left no judgement on purpose and took another game with good graphics from that time - just providing a basis for comparison. You can decide which it is.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Quicksaves did overwrite each other in witcher 2 (autosaves didn't, they do now). It actually really sucks and lets you trap yourself if you don't manually save. A circular buffer of ~50 quicksaves is like the best way to do it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

I enjoyed playing the guy in Vizima castle with his ridiculous nilfgaarde deck of 10 power assholes versus my bunch of garbage temerian 1 power fucktards. Just gotta find and buy less terrible cards than the starter ones I think.

Yeah I think you can quibble with little things about the graphics but in motion the effect is pretty incredible. I've been particularly impressed with the wind effects, pretty handily the best I've ever seen.

I totally beat that dude by using weather on his cards and using power-boosting cards myself. Go starting deck!

If it's the one I'm thinking of I had a level 10(!) drowner camping it and I just gave up until later. Short of arduously kiting it onto shore I don't think there's much you can do.

This is really stupid but as a 4th level autist I had to get the treasure. It took a bunch of tries to get away safely for a reward of...a pair of pants. I couldn't fight them or get them on shore at all, just had to swim past them and back.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Megasabin posted:

Are the dialogue choices you get with the axii delusion skill tree actually meaningful or get you special items/rewards? Or is it basically just opportunities to avoid fights?

It seems like a lot of you are putting points in it. Is it worth it?

It's going to be pretty hard for anyone to be certain about what's worth it or not. I do know it is super annoying that there is an incentive to switch around your skills before every dialogue if you don't use axii in combat. Hopefully they make that part passive but I'm not holding my breath.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

I clicked on simulate witcher 2 save but didn't get any options, do they come up ingame or did something gently caress up?

Continue playing, it happens later.

PS Orv, put this in the OP

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Go to the question marks and sell any swords that aren't an upgrade to a blacksmith and any armor that isn't an upgrade to an armorsmith. Sometimes you'll hit the jackpot, even some of the dinky swords (the gnomish gwemyr or whatever comes to mind) will sell for several hundred gold. You'll also get a ton of formulae and other cool stuff in the process. Also once you get to Novigrad you can cash out your nilfgaardian and temerian currency for the actual currency, which amounted to a ~1700g payday for me. After doing this for a while I ended up with ~7k gold and the biggest issue became finding a vendor with enough money to sell additional crap to.

Yeah I think I should always be crafting/repairing/dismantling at the same shopkeeper to make sure to up his gold amount - it's no use all spread around. (It is cool that shopkeeper gold goes up when you buy services.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Jinnigan posted:

Okay, maybe I'm being a little paranoid here but when do you get asked the Witcher 2 choice questions? Is it before or after the Griffin quest in the first area?

First line of the OP. :)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Verranicus posted:

So how did you guys handle Keira? I sent her to Kaer Morhen and took the notes.

I did the same - I wanna get the band all together in one place to sweep the nation with groovy synth-tunes. What did you do with the ghost in the tower? I brought her bones out, does that have negative consequences on the area? Am I going to kill the ghost later?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Solartide posted:

I played the baron. And the innkeeper the baron mentioned.

I'm beginning to think that goons just suck at card games in general, nevermind Gwent.

Ok, the baron beat me the first time, but I won the second game. And the innkeeper and I drew 3 times before I took the fourth. Neither of them were totally OP. Sure, they had some impressive hero cards, but you can outplay them.

Give me the baron's deck against your starting deck and I'll win every time - it shits all over it. That took me a ton of tries. Somehow I beat the nilfgaard guy with multiple heroes in 2 tries though, so I dunno, I think the Baron's gameplan is more solid/consistent.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, I didn't trust the ghost either, and as the situation stood the plague was at the very least contained to the island. Bringing a plague wraith to the mainland sounded like a really, REALLY bad idea.

I didn't know it was a plague wraith, though I guess I could have figured it out based on the wizard working on disease stuff. I had explored the tower already so I think I missed a bunch of exposition with Keira on that. Hopefully plaguing the city doesn't happen in-game, I feel guilty.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Spikeguy posted:

Look at this monster. If you don't see it, I guess it's ok in your book. I bet you didn't even help that troll with his painting!

actually I just want their gwent cards :twisted:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I'm curious, has anyone here beaten it yet? It doesn't sound like most of you have even gotten to Novigrad.

Hah - I went to Novigrad first. It wasn't particularly....fruitful, but I wanted to see Triss.

Awesome game - y'all knocked it out of the park, now *unrolls scroll with list of demands*

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Anyone else bit by the disappearing alchemy formulas bug? A bunch of mine have disappeared. I finally got the last nekker heart and can't make enhanced white rafford's any more. Also no one sells them because something in game thinks you have them. I have enhanced northern wind bombs but I guess no formula for it, somehow. Comte, please fix. :)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I can't imagine any gwent deck being better than the north - I guess nilfgaard has higher numbers but fewer abilities. Low level things that need to be paired don't do it for me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Novigrad quest stuff: Do you never actually find Djikstra's treasure? That seems like a weird loose end. I'm still in "act 1" but yeah. I feel like it's super easy to miss Novigrad stuff because of all the unlabeled places and unmarked quests.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 27, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

Where can I get some saddlebags? I've started selling alchemy supplies because I'm not carrying anything but the swords and armor on my back but my weight is still at like 59/60.

there should only be two swords in your inventory :colbert:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

There is, the ones I have equipped. My armor/weapon box is a wasteland. I don't even have a shirt on right now because I sold my old one to have enough money to craft a new one, but the new one is too high level for me to wear. :smith:

You must have found some crazy heavy armor or something - that's nuts. Find the culprit. You can do horse races for saddlebags if you want or buy them places (not that I remember where, sorry)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Solartide posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought I was the only one spending 10 minutes trying to jump out of there.

I got out, learn to jump scrub :smug:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nakar posted:

Is fistfighting always the same as killing outside the actual fistfighting quests? I ran into some guys I thought were assholes but not worth killing and I punched them all out because they were weak and lovely, but the combat log says they died. Jeez Geralt, show a little self-restraint.

I like how you get into fistfights where you die if you lose, but still aren't willing to pull out your sword or use magic on them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

So I did the possession quest in Skellige:
So uhh, I threw the baby in the oven, because I felt it was going to be some sort of trick as the game described, and I wouldn't actually be doing something bad. They reveal the jarl's son to still be alive, but they never show the guy taking anything out of the oven. I guess the implication is somehow it was unharmed? To me it seemed like, in game logic, you didn't ACTUALLY do something bad, because uhh, that was some other baby you roasted? I don't get how the baby lived.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Begemot posted:

There is a hole in the wall behind the oven. The advisor guy was hiding back there and rescued the baby immediately. You not knowing that is the only reason it works.

It'd be funny if you could witcher sense examine the hole and then the trick doesn't work.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

There's a trait called "Rage Management" that allows me to substitute Adrenaline Points for Stamina when casting Signs. Is it good?

It's okay - it's bad for signs where you need stamina to keep them up(like alt igni) since obviously if you're using adrenaline, you don't have as much and there's an opportunity cost to draining it anyway that makes it not worth it. It is still in my list but I'm going to take it out soon - my increased stamina regeneration has kind of made it feel obsolete. Maybe it would be better again if you took the one that made casting signs give you adrenaline or any sort of increased adrenaline gain.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I thought it was 10% each slot, not 5%, but it's definitely questionable since you are sacrificing a 10% sign intensity increase for your mutagen as well, so it's only a net 10% (assuming the 20% people are right).

Who sells the griffin upgrade maps? I have been to every shop and only found one of them. I have a feeling it might be a trapped person but I haven't any idea which.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Levantine posted:

I'll have to test it when I get home. I tried before work this morning on a human and it just triggers a normal Axii. If it's just me, I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong; I'll have to mess with it.

After they get regular axii'd, do you keep holding down the button?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Azazell0 posted:

Honestly, I cheated and looked online where I had to go to start the questline. The game tells me the places from there on out.

Yeah that's certainly my backup solution, was hoping to get nice quest markers though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Solartide posted:

Anyway, back to the main game, Gwent.

Anyone come up with cards? I was thinking of printing out some cards to draft, anyone have a set converted already or will I need to invest some time in a photo editing software?

I think you will spend more time making cards than the lifespan that the game stays fun for - it's extremely simple to "solve" and I can't imagine drafting fixes to any serious degree.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Does higher burning chance affect anything if you're already at 100%, like burning higher level enemies? I know I'm probably not going to get a definitive answer here but I may as well ask. I don't have the skill because I'm already at 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Xavier434 posted:

That...sounds OP as hell. Is there a catch? Does this make the game boring?

there is a large opportunity cost in that you could have spend all that stamina and time hitting monsters with igni and your sword instead

like, you're low on health, you get smacked around some, maybe regain some health, maybe take more on the last hit than you got back, you're in roughly the same spot with the monsters having the same amount of health - compare that to just using igni instead

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 27, 2015