Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kyrosiris posted:

Speaking of which, it's already updated on the help page:

Which leads even more credence to the idea that it's true random. Hell yes.

I keep thinking this is reroll, full random, each crystal. It's all I can think of that wouldn't leave you with 4 freelancers for a crystal or 3.

E: i guess it is pretty statistically unlikely to happen since the jobs are pretty front-loaded. Could just be full random and the outside chance of samurai/dancer/dragoon/chemist is just a risk worth taking.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kyrosiris posted:

Natural and Classic can leave you with some number of Freelancers, so I don't see why Chaos potentially doing so is a problem.

True. The difference is that if its true random you can literally have no jobs for up to 3 crystals. As I edited in above - unlikely, but possible. Just seems an odd concept but I'm going to run it regardless unless it looks anything like a natural run.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

YggiDee posted:

What, dare I ask, is the 'speed trap'?

Pits you can fall in to. They are the bane of the fast forwarding sprinting player's existence.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I would really hate getting to the fire crystal with only thief. And to earth with only thief/geo. Ugh.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kyrosiris posted:

Well, your "don't have it yet" classes are effectively Freelancers.

I don't get this. I'm talking about 4 thieves up until the fire crystal, then 2/2 or 3/1 thf/geo until the earth crystal. Is that not how this works?

I get that, say, if you had red Mage instead of thief you'd just be freelancers until the water crystal. Is it cribbing the natural slant of you only ever use one of each class without the "and they can only ever be that class" part? Meaning:
thf/free/free/free
then
thf/geo/free/free
then your final group

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh wait, I'm sorry, I misread. If your Wind job is Thief, then yeah, you run four Thieves to Water. Then, if your Water job was, say, Chemist, you'd have any combination of Thieves and Freelancers (standing in as Chemists). If your Fire is also an Earth job (let's say Samurai), you'd have at minimum one Thief and two Freelancers until Earth.

Ok, gotcha. That's weird, but I like it.

E: I just never assumed that the order the classes were given would be relevant.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 19, 2015

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
My favorite was my 4th. Knight, Red Mage, Ranger and Samurai.
Team :black101::black101::black101::black101:

It was my highest level one I'm sure as it was just faster to kill random encounters than to run from them. Charging up the chicken knife was kind of annoying.

E: yes, i was 53 when I beat shinryuu.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 20, 2015

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

dis astranagant posted:

FFT doesn't have the kind of progression you'd want for a fiesta, plus several classes don't even have weapons til late chapter 2 or early chapter 3. You'd also have to cheat in access to classes or commit to possibly a lot of grinding before you even start.

And that alone would trivialize a good chunk of the game too since you'd outlived quite a bit of content. Plus any low-tier classes would probably be half mastered by the time you unlocked some of the later ones (black Mage vs. samurai or ninja, for instance).

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

LaserShark posted:

I tried this the last two years, and always stop playing at the same point: in world 3, after getting the first three weapons. I keep getting confused as to what I should do next. Depending on my party, three weapons may be all I need; should I go try to pick up the rest anyway? Is there a certain order I have to visit the dungeons? Or should I just storm the void?

Anyone have any suggestions? I want to break this quitting streak.

In a lot of teams you can definitely go straight to the void. If you have black or white Mage, do the fork tower. If you have time Mage and need it to make up for low damage - go do the underground dungeon after the fork tower. Leviathan is powerful but completely unnecessary. Even defender isn't really necessary when you can have Excalibur. And the wonder rod is mostly good for berserking shinryuu. It can get you a couple free casts of spells at random point as well if you have an especially gimpy party.

Basically the easiest thing to do - if you don't know - is ask once you get there. Or, hell, once you get your final job unlocked. There are lots of us here that can tell you what you'll need and what you can easily skip. It just gets easier as you learn the game and all the things you can break along the way.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kyrosiris posted:

I really considered making the thread title "Even Berserkers Won't Do Natural Runs" but I swerved at the last minute. :v:

And I am saddened by your decision.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Yes. Fiesta will open on the 15th or so.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Can someone clarify how exactly the RoM patches work? I'm probably going to install a GBA emulator on my phone for this and would like to actually play with the patched up versions if they're needed for #chaos mode to work.

Just a note - I very much doubt RK will come up with a mode where it is necessary to run a patch without somehow linking to said patch. Not saying you shouldn't just that it shouldn't be "necessary."

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kyrosiris posted:

Honestly, aside from Dragondarch they all are.

Hell, I'd be okay with DD having a run for redemption, even, but given that he had issues killing the superbosses with Blue/White/???/Chemist last year, I don't really expect that to happen. :v:

Ok despite all the stories I've read so far regarding stupid things the runners did, THIS is pretty bad.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Augus posted:

EDIT: Okay, seeing the overwhelming opinion against natural run, I guess you guys know more about the game balance than I do. Didn't realize reregistering was a thing either

So, I'll give my version which should be a little shorter. If you're looking to simply make the game more difficult then roll natural. Just realize that it's not the same as starting new run of an action game on hard. It's a JRPG and the answer to any problem can pretty much always be "go grind more levels." And when you remove options via natural, that ends up being the only answer more often. I think pretty much everyone here is about the challenge of speed running with only 4 randomly chosen jobs. Good teams just mean you get to show off.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Saigyouji posted:

He can run out of MP... except he has 32768, so have fun with that.

I'm pretty sure someone spoke about this in regards to Omniscient (bad idea - items cause him to cast reset) - but I believe max mp values are still set on enemies with mp higher than that max (I want to say it's 9999, more than a player can get). So the point being, there is a logic check for healing/restoring mp where you can't go over the maximum value, which will automatically set the current value to the maximum. In this case causing mp loss of around 22,000.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kyrosiris posted:

That is correct. Not that I'd advocate trying to drain W2 Exdeath of his MP unless you have Bard (and thus everyone can use !Hide), but yeah, it's an interesting thing to be aware of.

^ I meant to mention this. Very true. Especially using Lancet.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kyrosiris posted:

I think we're out of FF games for him to hate-play?

Think he means lowered? Because the goal is still there on the site widget. But yes I don't expect any promises if we beat the goal this year.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Dr Pepper posted:

Well now I have to give it a try.

I'll do a standard run, and Job Fair in a Bard or Chemist if I don't get one.

Edit: Also Job Fairing away Monk because seriously.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, I'd need Knight or White Mage too.

What level(s) do you think would be feasible for you? I'm trying to think of a good way to incentivize this further with adding my own donation/pledge.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Asiina posted:

$X - highest level

Sure, I'll do this (what I assume you intended).

$(99-x)

-$10 for each job fair just to force him to try harder job comps in the name of charity.

Actually, tell you what - I'll double down on that. I'll donate a matching percentage next year to the berserker fund, reduced by the number of job fairs.

0 - 100%
1 - 75%
2 - 50%
3 - 25%
4 - 0

But no pressure!

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Dr Pepper posted:

I think that in a Low Level Fiesta, the lowest I could get is a party average of 7 9 10 sheesh that's twice what a normal LL playthrough would have..

I've registered a Team750 run, because let's face it I'm going to get a lot more out of the Mage classes for a LL4JF.

Yeah I thought you'd be doing a normal run so I guessed level 10 or so with at least 1 job fair, pretty decent likelihood for 2, which would be $69 this year and 3 and a half berserkers next year.

750 definitely seems like lower odds for rerolls, though. I foresee blue mage/summoner/bard/chemist.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

LaserShark posted:

Someone on the Subreddit posted a newbie FAQ that includes the above. Pretty sure that the bolded part is incorrect, yah? The mix doesn't matter as long as there's one of each? I don't visit Reddit myself and don't feel like signing up just for this.

You are correct. Once you get Red Mage in his scenario you can have any mix 3 Red Mage's and 1 Knight if you so desire.

E: ^^ PM sent

Ugato fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 18, 2015

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
So, the run begins in about 16 hours? Is there anyone in particular that stands out as the person to watch this year?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Is there any guess as to how long it's going to take for the run? I didn't realize they'd already accomplished that fast of runs. I'm going to be sad if my only night a week to actually sleep prevents me from seeing this completely. :(

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Wow I'm an idiot. I was thinking this entire time the run started at midnight eastern. Not in 30 minutes from now.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
https://goo.gl/photos/A5HRe3cb1u4MxYmH6

First run down. Just waiting for processing to start number 2. And I'm sorry but I will always have Butz in my heart.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

CapitalistPig posted:

I'm seeing everyone saying bard is good but I'm having some troubles as mine is somewhat useless, I'm in the Ronkan ruins right now my team is Zerk/RedMage/Zerk/Bard

The Zerks are strong enough for now and hit hard with their death sickles, My RM has pretty much been acting as a white mage for the most part keeping me alive I have romeo's ballad, alluring air, and mighty march and have played all world 1 Pianos.

Any suggestions on my bard pulling a little more weight?

They don't do a lot other than give equip harps for you right now. The biggest things they can do are swift song and hero's rime, which you get in the latter half of world 2 (at the earliest) and world 3, respectively. Requiem is amazing versus undead (also world 2). Other than that, for random encounters just spam Romeo's ballad to keep most enemies from ever getting a turn.

If you want to brute force your way through a lot of fights, get a bunch of rods and put your bard on boss healing duty with !red until you get hero's rime. Have the red mage crack rods over faces while the zerkers do their thing.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 23, 2015

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

LordHippoman posted:

Any tips for Garula with only thieves? I have all my party members equipped with Mythril Knives and the best armor I could buy, but I just can't whittle his HP down in time before he starts Rush'ing me to death. I'm at Level 14, do I just need to grind for a while?

99 Potions, have everyone in the back row and only have one person attack. It will take forever but once he starts countering you, if you try to rush him down you will get annihilated. Basically the same strategy as white Mage but you don't get protect, cure, the flail or the heal staff. So much more of a pain.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
That... almost seems harder than NED as necrophobe kinda starts out in "panic mode" what with getting 4x end-game spell casts per turn and having five targets for the zerkers (one of which takes no damage). I look forward to hearing of his victory soon!

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Classtoise posted:

Earth is Samurai, Chemist, Dancer, Dragoon.

So yeah you might not get any healing. Well, the aforementioned Elemental Ring + Elemental Bow might work? Can you Rapid Fire someone in the face to heal them?
Rapid Fire randomly hits enemies. There's not even a target option when you select it.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Got one Reflect Ring. Should I grind for 4?

Mountaineer posted:

I grinded 4 of them, and ended up not using any! I mainly wanted them for Omniscient but forgot to equip them, so I had to cast Berserk instead and beat him to death with my White Mage.
They're good for world 2 exdeath if you don't have spells that you want to target your party with and think you might have trouble burning him down in his double-action phase. He has a lot of spells to choose from for those actions, so it's not only preventing damage but also killing him faster.

Omnicscient is also a consideration if you don't want to go to the Phoenix tower and DO want (one or more of):
- More legendary weapons (why would you ever need that many)
- Holy
- Flare
- Meteor

e: I probably wouldn't get more than 2, then. Exdeath shouldn't be hard with that team and you have mages to kill omniscient. The reflect rings just make it much easier.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 24, 2015

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Just give it to someone using !black and you'll be fine in both fights.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Run 2 finally gives me my first fiesta chemist. It was kind of funny really

Crystal 1: Knight - "Neat. Solid base class. I hope I get something interesting to abuse along with it."
Crystal 2: Geomancer - :geno: "Oh. I see."
Crystal 3: Bard - "Well that should lock in a pretty easy win no matter what. Might take some grinding to get his his up I guess for NED"
Crystal 4: Chemist - :stare: "Well I guess that solved that, then, didn't it?"

Not the most optimal of teams I suppose but, really, how can you go wrong with two sing bots and two mix bots buffing up someone to be the avatar of death.

It'll probably be the geomancer. I've had that drat class so many times. It will be cathartic to 9999 wind slash NED to death.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 25, 2015

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Bufuman posted:

Victories have to be verified by RK, and he has to sleep sometime. It's been over an hour for me and I'm still not verified, so he's probably out. You might as well check back in the morning.

He's in Japan, so he's EST+15. So he was likely getting home from work/eating dinner as of this post. Just keep that in mind for expectations on reviewing victories. He's usually pretty good about logging victories if he's not sleeping or working.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

NGDBSS posted:

I know it's a bit late, but in my experience most of the bosses in this game can just be burned down with a sufficiently powerful alpha strike. Depending on which boss you're talking about*/your levels/your lineup, you may not actually be able to perform that alpha strike, but bosses like Catastrophe aren't actually terribly difficult if you can set up that alpha strike in the first place.

*Notably:
-Neo Exdeath has too much health and too many parts to do this.
-Omega has an attack script and counters that will destroy you if you try poking him incautiously, and his defenses are too high to deal damage in the first place without finding ways around them. (Rapid Fire, weaknesses, Sword Dance, etc.)
-Shinryu hits like a truck and has a bevy of status ailments to boot.

I can tell you from personal experience that Omega most certainly counters Rapid Fire. I tried several times and every single time the rapid fire went off I was blasted by 4 counters instantly. First time I engaged him I had an entire team with rapid fire queued to attack. The third rapid fire actually happened before everyone was obliterated.

U.S. GBA version.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Dr. Pepper, has the game eaten you? :ohdear:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

berenzen posted:

Time Mage/Red Mage/Ranger/Ranger

So... rapidfiring things to death basically? Any good synergies available this combo? I'm guessing it's gonna basically be doublecast Haste, and rapidfire.

With Dualcast you should be able to dump all your mp in a single "turn" (without anyone else acting) - chain Meteor/Quick. Repeat until out of mana. Your red Mage can shove elixirs in the time mage's mouth every turn.

Most likely though I'd just go with meteor/quick and meteor/meteor on your quick turn. They're really big mp hog spells.

Pretty sure I got that wrong with my brain working on 2 hours' sleep. The game should mostly bend over for you and if you want the minimal effort approach just quickleak the superbosses, as mentioned before. Double rapid fire alone should murder NED.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 29, 2015

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Koobes posted:

Does lv5 death ignore the heavy tag?

So much so that it can actually break the game.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Oh boy. Finally had time to finish my previous run and this is what I get.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Could be far worse. I'm going to see how well freelancing through W1 goes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Bufuman posted:

So, what are the limitations of Job Fairing? Do you have to JF for an earlier job before unlocking any later sets? In my case, I'm on a Random run and got Blue Mage and Berserker for my first two jobs. Could I go ahead and unlock the rest to see what jobs I got (to reduce the chance of repeats), then JF away Berserker, or do I have to JF Berserker before unlocking Fire?

You can 'cheat' the unlocks if you want just by tweeting gilgabot. And you can job fair anything at any point. The only limitation is in the design - you will only be able to JF a crystal's job to jobs from that crystal. So, even if you're doing a run that can give you a water job for fire, if you JF the job you were assigned for the fire crystal, you will have to pick a fire job to replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

:golfclap:

• Locked thread