Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Please please please let Chaos be true random

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Tried .chaos in preparation/desperate hoping for true random..

quote:

[09:57] <CarbyBot> Wind Job: Thief
No.

quote:

[09:57] <CarbyBot> Water Job: Geomancer
NO!

quote:

[09:58] <CarbyBot> Fire Job: Samurai
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

quote:

[09:58] <CarbyBot> Earth Job: Chemist
Oh. Well, okay then.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Fungah! posted:

samurai is hilariously good and arguably the best heavy armor user in a game where heavy armor is powrful, hth
Eh. Samurai's far from being hilariously good - it won't make a bad party better and it won't make a good party worse. Its toolkit is anemic - Shirahadori is mediocre since an ability slot is usually more valuable than a 25% evasion check, Zeninage is highly situational due to its formula and any party that has to rely on it is in abysmal shape already, and Iainuki is a decent instant kill effect for a skill 800+ AP deep into a subpar physical attacker. Crits are nice, but so unreliable as to barely count as a perk.

Heavy Armor is nice. Offensive power is better. It's no Geomancer or Dragoon, but it's still a third-rate class.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Can Of Worms posted:

Samurais have innate Shirahadori. Give your Samurai an Elven Mantle, a Shield and a Main Gauche and they're kind of insane on the dodging front. They're also the only job that can equip Katanas, and at least two of them are good; Wind Slash can proc... Wind Slash :v: and Masamune is kind of insane (guaranteed first action in battle and unlimited casts of Haste.) Like every other heavy armour job they also have a high vitality score, which means more HP. People underestimate how valuable HP is considering NED has a "You must have this much HP to win" move. Samurais aren't Bards or Chemists but they're only one tier down from the jobs that steamroll the game.
Wind Slash is about as reliable as crits, which is to say it's nice when it works but won't be there when you need it the majority of the time. Masamune is great, and one of the best sealed weapons, but that's really the only attractive and semi-unique feature Samurai gets. I tend to value offense a lot more highly when it comes to party composition, since defensive parties that aren't backed by Chemists or White Mages are really just flirting with the RNG on difficult fights and hoping things line up in their favor. More HP is good, but the threshold for NED is pretty low if you can get your hands on any source of Shell - and if your party has no source of Shell and you're relying on a Samurai for offense, you're going to be grinding for Zeninage anyway.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Can Of Worms posted:

Yes, because your team either has a White Mage, Blue Mage or Chemist. All 3 of which help you steamroll the game. (Okay, most of the game for White Mage.)

Edit: Technically Beastmasters and rod users have access to Shell, but Beastmasters have the task of capturing a Crystelle and every rod using job (minus Red Mage, rip Red Mage) is good.
When we're down to quibbling over whether Samurai is good because it can survive Neo Exdeath at a slightly lower level than other jobs (that aren't Knight/Monk/Berserker or with access to Shell.. that's not a long list).. I think we're past the point of being able to consider it a 'just below gamebreaking' class.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Fungah! posted:

you're really undervaluing zeninage, it's an excellent way to tear through some of the nastiest bosses in the game (including neo) and iainuki is IMO the best non-magical trash-sweeper in the game. the masamune's also arguably the second best weapon in the non-GBA game, acting first and being able to grant haste on demand is huge. you're right, shirahadori's not great as an equipped ability but having one party member that's basically invulnerable to physical damage (SH+elf cape+shield+heavy armor) is pretty choice, and if it weren't for the insane endgame swords katanas would pretty much be swords: the better version. they've also got a buynch of party synergy: zeninage benefits heavily from level boosts on bard or chemist or blue magic like off-guard, 2hing a katana is nasty as heck if you get knight and they're a great chassis for pretty much any other skill
I value Zeninage extra low because I almost never have the level to make it worth my time on targets of substance - if I'm leaning on it for Neo Exdeath I'm probably already looking at an unpleasant grind to survive Almagest anyway outside of Bard+Samurai edge cases. Iainuki, too, is a good trash sweeper.. at the rear end end of a long, 800+ AP grind.

Like, if you routinely kill everything you encounter and do a lot of backtracking or grinding during your runs, then Samurai is probably more valuable to you. I've always found Samurai to be lagging way behind my pace unless I go out of my way for it and most useful as a first strike+haste casting bot at the end of the line, which makes it feel a lot more like dead weight than a useful and contributing party member.

Mega64 posted:

Only in FF5 can a job that's tankish, can deliver solid multi-target damage, and has a decent "instantly kill most enemies" move be considered mediocre.
basically this

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
There's also speed concerns for those looking to put down multiple runs in one Fiesta.

Level is probably the single most important variable in the game, certainly in the vast majority of formulas it shows up in - it's just that it's also easy to mitigate or outright circumvent the need for it.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

My grinding aversion is also why I don't care for Mix- grinding for Turtle Shells, Dragon Fangs, and Dark Matter (i.e., the ingredients used in all the best mixes) is a boring slog.
Hmm yes all the best mixes, nevermind the dirt cheap full heals, full revives, full restore, full ether, level boosting, element boosting, big three element absorption, poison immunity, death immunity, float, charm, 8x osmose, and haste+image+berserk.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Pretty much all the mixes that restore MP (and don't require you to be dead first) still require Elixirs or Ethers, which aren't cheap. You can boost 10 levels at a time, but remember that discussion in this thread about how levels are relatively unimportant? Yeah, raising 10 levels at a time is inefficient for almost all situations. Sure, you can mix death immunity and apply it to a character, but then the boss might not use the death move, or use it on the 3 unprotected characters... until you spend multiple turns applying it to additional characters... and now you've spent thousands of gil worth of Phoenix Downs and Holy Waters, and it's not so cheap anymore.

Maybe I always just get decent enough other units when I get a Chemist, but I almost never end up needing them. I'll throw up a few immunity mixes during bosses which never end up mattering before the boss dies. Or I'll boost levels a few times which adds maybe 500 damage over the course of a boss fight. Or I have my Chemist doubling his HP, applying haste to himself, and giving himself protect, and then the boss dies while my Chemist did nothing but play with himself. Ironically, some of the points where my Chemist is most useful is to apply Float to everyone to get over damage floors... which Geomancers handle innately.

Like I said, Chemists aren't bad, but a lot of their usefulness is so cumbersome in a 4-person party, or so gimmicky, that you basically need a completely useless team in order for them to shine. They can almost always get you to the finish line... eventually. They are basically great for weird runs like solo runs or level-1 teams, but in a more normal playthrough (even a FJF restricted one), they become much less useful. If you have even a modicum of damage output, status options, or healing/boosting from other sources, Chemists tend to be much less dominating.

People are free to love them, but for me they're not the "best job in the game" when measured from a team-based standpoint.
1) Why would you ever use an Elixir mix? All of their effects are either the exact same as Elixir or duplicated by cheaper mixes. Ethers are the most 'expensive' component, but they're also trivial to steal and cost a mere 1500gp to mix into full MP restore rather than drinking them one at a time.

2) All I'm getting from this is that you don't like Chemists because you have no idea how to use them properly and/or are overleveled for the bosses you're fighting.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
If you're killing significant bosses in 5 rounds, you've got a team that's already extremely powerful. Most teams aren't killing Archaevis or Atmos in 5 rounds, much less Shinryu or Neo Exdeath, especially when you get there early. Even then, Chemists are guaranteed insurance that your damage dealers can lay down maximum damage heedless of resources. Try blasting the entire game into oblivion with Summon without a source of MP restoration. You think Ethers are expensive when you're using a Chemist?

Chemists are mediocre at random encounters without a supporting ability, but the same could be said of fellow gamebreakers White Mage, Time Mage, and Bard. It's easy to get shortcuts through random encounters, it's not so simple to get shortcuts past the big roadblocks.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Exit doesn't count!

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

There's really no awful combination under the standard Fiesta rules. There are some that require a bit more patience or grinding than others, but that's really the worst you can say.
No, Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dragoon is absolutely genuinely awful. You clear the early game out, and then you're faced with the desolation of having no damage, no healing, and no realistic way to shore up either without an immense amount of grinding, which you will still suck at. No problem, you'll grind up all those levels, right? Well, you'll still mostly suck, but at least now you can maybe finish the game with Brawl autoattacks before you go insane. Subbing Dragoon for Samurai or Monk for Thief doesn't make it much less miserable, either, though it'll bring your completion speed down. Slightly.

Realistically, any game with unsupported Red Mage and Geomancer is going to be a slog.

On Monk/Thief: neither are terribly useful, but Thief is a far better chassis to bolt the many one-and-done abilities onto with 40 Agi (roughly 10% reduction in action delay vs Monk before equip weight) and innate Vigilance, on top of the ability to access !Mug for Chicken Knife shenanigans and !Flee for solving all unwanted random encounter problems forever. (Artful Dodger is only really useful for passing off to a Berserker if you get one, as it's roughly a 19% reduction in action delay before equip weight. Not as good as Equip Harps making the Rune Axe tick, but fairly strong for the ease of access.)

Compare to Monk's claims to fame in party synergy: trivializing the early-early game and passing off its 50 Str, which is only really relevant for gimmicks, desperation (which, to be fair, most Monk teams wind up having), or parties that include Thief/Dancer/Geomancer and don't have something better for them to be doing. (Sometimes Blue Mage, but realistically Blue Mage always has better things to do with its time.) As a chassis for other abilities, the only significant factor is having a boatload of HP, the usefulness of which is heavily compromised by the fact that it's a Monk and either you're leveling enough that your party has enough HP to meet the thresholds anyway or your Brawl attacks are doing utterly atrocious damage.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Eeepies posted:

What? If i had a Samurai on the team without enough offense, I'll just gil toss the bosses to victory. Sure I need money, but I find that you always have money to Gil Toss.
Can't effectively Gil Toss without levels, levels that will be miserable to grind. I mean, you'll have the money - you always have the money unless you're spamming it left right and center.. which you might be with a group that bad - but there are plenty of things that are annoyingly expensive or have the defense to frustrate attempts to Gil Toss them away.

Chaotic Neutral fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 22, 2015

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Reasons to go past the Pyramid:
* You have Black/White Mage or Mystic Knight (Flare/Holy, Fork Tower - if all you have is Black Mage, this is p. skippable)
* You have a Rod user, no other source of Shell, and expect to hit Exdeath underleveled (Wonder Wand, Fork Tower)
* You want to build the ridiculous Turtle Knight (Defender, Fork Tower)
* You have a Blue Mage and missed L3 Flare in Barrier Tower/Exdeath's Castle/Pyramid (L3 Flare, Executor, Island Shrine)
* You want more Mirage Vests because being invincible is in vogue. (Rare Steal, Oiseaurare, Island Shrine / Rare Drop, Tonberry, Istory Falls)
* You have a Time Mage and lack offensive power in the rest of your party (Meteor, Great Sea Trench)
* You have a Summoner, your party packs a lot of !Summon, and you have no good MP restoration (Phoenix, Phoenix Tower)
* You have sword users with good magic/magic-boosting support abilities and need all the extra firepower you can get (Rune Blade and Enhancer, Istory Falls)
* You have a Ranger and want to dunk on Neo Exdeath's Creature part (Artemis Bow, Istory Falls)
* You can't make use of the Rune Axe and are extremely angry about it (Titan's Axe, Istory Falls)
* You have entirely too many shield users (Aegis Shield, Istory Falls)
* You have a Chemist, a Summoner, and a burning need for gratuitous violence (Leviathan, Istory Falls)
* You have lots of !Black/!White/!Time/!Summon flying around and two just isn't enough. (Gold Hairpin - Rare Steal, Gogo, Sunken Tower)

Things that seem like reasons to go past the Pyramid but aren't:
* You have a Monk and the incorrect notion that boosting its attack without grinding will make it useful again (Kaiser Knuckles, Great Sea Trench)

Chaotic Neutral fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 24, 2015

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
I dunno - the bell is the only really useless sealed weapon, and sometimes even the situational uses of the others can justify going for a second tablet. Any group with a Ninja, for example, is probably going to want both Sasuke's and Assassin before even getting into the rest of their party, while something like White Mage/Berserker is 2 out of 3 already, and 7 of the 9 Fire/Earth jobs want their sealed weapon.

ultrafilter posted:

* You want to steal Mirage Vests from the enemies in the Island Shrine.
Ooh, good call. Adding that and stealing the third Gold Hairpin.

Chaotic Neutral fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 24, 2015

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Trasson posted:

iOS/Android has a lot more stuff changed, and if anyone has a list of the really Fiesta relevant stuff that would be nice.
From what I've read, the major stuff is:

* Gaia's check is no longer level-based, making Gaia one of the most ridiculous abilities in the game
* Mineuchi works as intended now (paralyze + half damage attack)
* Calm only works on magic beasts now (no more Omega)
* Kick ignores row
* Vampire fixed + misses on Heavy targets
* Bee Swarm (!Animals) poisons
* Power Drink fixed
* Many autohit abilities no longer autohit/ignore evade: most if not all % HP attacks, Death Potion, Dark Sigh, etc
* Twin Lance properly double attacks with (most?) attack abilities
* Defender no longer casts Protect
* Mirage Vest no longer refreshes
* Berserk is no longer entirely random (targets from front to back)

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

On the one hand I like keeping the details of Chaos in the dark, but on the other I'm afraid you'll end up with a lot of boring runs that are all Freelancers for most of the first world. And the rules might need some clarification.

Let's say you get your first job- Dancer. So you have to be all freelancers until you get to the water crystal, and tweet for your second job- Samurai. So now you're still all Freelancers until you get to the fire crystal. You tweet for your job- Ranger. Ok, are you allowed to have 4 rangers now? Or only two, with two freelancers stuck standing in for the Dancer/Samurai you don't have yet? So whatever the case, you fight your way to the earth crystal, and tweet for your last job- Monk. But since this is Chaos mode, is it OK to tweet for all 4 of your jobs right away? So theoretically after the wind crystal you can use Monks, even though they are technically your "earth" job?

Being able to tweet right away for all jobs, and use any jobs you have for all 4 characters (assuming you have at least one of each job you actually can access) seems better, but it's not clear.
Only Natural runs let you use Freelancer stand-ins and no runs let you preload your jobs, so logically you'd use all Freelancers until you get Ranger, at which point it's four Ranger time. The only reason I can really fathom for an exception in a hypothetical true-random Chaos would be to prevent Death by Four Berserker.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
elmagus #1, team y burns for life

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

nuru posted:

So, the best magic for a rune axe berserker :dance:?
Nope! No Oracle abilities bring across their Magic score. Oracle is utterly dead weight.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, and erosion will eventually make that hill flat, but a steam shovel is faster. !Mix just tends to be too slow and cumbersome to be worthwhile if you have other good skills, which are

Chemists have to take for-loving-ever to make themselves both strong enough to withstand attacks, and then slowly whittle down the enemy. Most other good commands can exploit and destroy bosses in a tenth of the time it takes chemists to get rolling (and other jobs only use MP, which is a commodity you never have to worry about replenishing). No, one other command may not have all the tools to totally wreck every boss, but a combination of a couple jobs usually can, and without taking 20 turns to do it.
Most other good commands can exploit and destroy a limited subset of bosses in a tenth of the time, and then meet their own walls in other places. Chemist isn't the god of making random encounters painless, but it single-handedly sets you up for kills on the entire game regardless of your party composition, and can enable even more gimmickry depending on that party composition. It's also incredibly light to learn in ABP and enables some of the lowest level clears you can get with a Fiesta team. You want to talk about time saving? It's not the twenty turns you spend prepping for a boss, it's the hundreds worth of grinding that you can entirely skip.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

I find myself doing more grinding (for materials) with Chemist than I do without a Chemist. That's one of the reasons the job does not thrill me. The only times I ever really "grind" in FFV fiestas:
1. Chemist materials
2. Stupid reflect rings
3. The Bal Castle statues if I have some really ABP-heavy jobs.

That's it. I usually run from any and all annoying encounters, so I tend to be very low-leveled at the end. Still, I usually work out a way to not have to grind levels to get past Almagest.
Then stop doing it.

Like, my hatred of grinding is well enough noted, and I find Bal so insufferable that I'd rather go through the rest the hard way than bore myself to death there. You can get by on 30-ish turtle shells and whatever dragon fangs and dark matters you scrape up through the game naturally, unless you're dedicated to the idea of fistfighting Shinryu at the end or have absolutely no firepower worth noting and need to use Succubus' Kiss as your primary offense.

And even then, all the Chemist materials are guaranteed drops off certain monsters, so..

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Sure, you don't need to grind more than a couple items if you just go ahead and assume you're not really going to use your Chemist for anything but fighting Omega for the whole game, in which case they're an extremely mediocre class (like, Red Mage without the ability to break rods). Otherwise you're gonna be grinding. And despite what people claim in this thread, you are absolutely not rolling in gil for the vast majority of the game. Hell, most people have to grind money to afford the stuff they want from Mirage Village at the end of the game. So chances are your chemist isn't running around with a ton of phoenix downs or ethers either. When you limit them to potions and maidens kisses and such, they're much less versatile and powerful.
You've posted this before, and it was just as untrue then as it is now. The Chemist will, in the long run, save you money by maximizing the effect of every single consumable you have to use. You don't have to worry about chaining Phoenix Downs when your Phoenix Downs full heal for the cost of a single Potion. You don't have to choose between pouring multiple Ethers or an Elixir down the throat of your Summoner or backtracking to the nearest save point when you can refill that MP with your choice of several different options - including for absolutely free if you've mastered Chemist and are on such a budget that killing them in a random and using !Revive is worthwhile. (Then you can use that MP bar to farm way more money in one-button encounter sweeps than it cost.) Your Esuna costs a massive 90 gil. Christ, even your Hi-Potions heal for double with no prep or special ability necessary. People with unsupported Red Mage draws would be lining up to spend gil on the kinds of effects Chemists can drop without their rare drop materials.

quote:

Boy, people take the suggestion that !Mix and chemists aren't perfect in every way very seriously. Chemists are an extremely powerful and versatile job, but that statement does have a big asterisk by it. There's nothing wrong with that! Every job in the game is great*. That's what makes it so much fun to play around with, as opposed to having The One True Job, and all the rest.
Because you have this compulsion to keep coming back and reaching for increasingly desperate ways to express your dislike for Chemist. Dude, if you think it's boring, fine! You're not alone in that - I'm not a huge fan of getting it in my Fiesta draws either, since it makes the rest of the game essentially a foregone conclusion. It's your insistence on inventing contrived conditions to try and justify why Chemist isn't as good as people say it is that's loving exhausting.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Did nobody tell Dragondarch that was a stupid plan at the time?
Kyro did.

For his trouble, he got banned from DD's twitch chat. :v:

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Trasson posted:

Thief is worst, then comes Monk. I mean, that's mostly just preference, but I'd certainly rather have HP+30% or Barehanded on my Berserkers over Artful Dodger, since one of those is replicated by the best accessory in the game. Either's bottom tier as hell, though.
Huh? Haste is applied after the 'speed factor' is calculated, the relative contribution of Agility doesn't change with it.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Trasson posted:

Berserker with Haste and Berserker with Thief Agility plus Haste is near enough to be indistinguishable, and is only worth an ability slot when there's literally no other option.

EDIT: Like, okay, let's talk actual game here. You're not going to master Thief in World 1, no question. In World 3 post airship, you've got Running Shoes. So, for the stretch of Gilgamesh -> Melusine, that's the only time it'd make a difference. Honestly, mastering Thief then is still pretty early, but it's not out of the question if you got money for four Flame Rings and/or Angel Rings. Gilgamesh is pretty weak, Tyrannosaur meets Phoenix Down, Dragon Pod meets instant death, Enkidu meets instant death and White Wind is the real enemy there, not Gilgamesh. Atomos is likely to die before you care about how fast turns are going. Honestly, going in with three Berserkers and the Thief dead will probably work just fine if you get good axe damage rolls. Seal Guardians meet instant death, Castle Gilgamesh's biggest problem is him dying before you can steal from him. Castle Exdeath meets Reflect Rings because three Berserkers can do 16000 damage to him pretty quick. Antlion is a joke, and Melusine's gimmick is outright laughed at by Berserkers no matter the speed. Finally, you get the airship and auto-Haste and it doesn't matter.

Artful Dodger on a Berserker's pretty lame.
~20-25% is pretty far from indistinguishable. Besides, 1) they're not actually competing for a slot and 2) you're not going to have HP+30% any sooner than Artful Dodger. Barehanded is a massive 8 Str - that's not even going to reliably give you +1 M until around the time those skills are coming online!

KataraniSword posted:

I can confirm, at least, that Artful Dodger does very, very little to help Berserker's horrendous speed; Haste works as expected, but even a Hasted Berserker with Artful Dodger will only attack three times to any other class's unhasted two.
You're right, it doesn't help the Berserker's horrendous speed - it outright replaces it with the best speed in the game. It is a night and day difference - it's just less visually noticeable than a magic command boosting your Rune Axe into the stratosphere.

Chaotic Neutral fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 6, 2015

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
So if you care about that kind of thing, THE RUN participant HappySquid89 is scheduled to run FFV any% for Scrubathon III today at 4:30pm EST. Here's the rest of the schedule.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
That team should be enough to kill everything in there, though Neo Shinryu will require a good chunk of leveling and luck.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

InfernoBlade posted:

Consider the tree well-watered. Oh and I'm going to get my employer to match that.

:sbahj:

This year is gonna have an especially fruitful harvest, ain't it?

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Ugato posted:

So, the run begins in about 16 hours? Is there anyone in particular that stands out as the person to watch this year?
Watch them all, since there's going to be a multistream on RPG Limit Break, but here's a rundown:

* HappySquid89 is the fastest of the four in any% at 4:05:16, roughly 9 minutes behind the WR. He's also been dueling for the glitchless Lufia II WR and practicing a lot with..
* Elmagus, who's roughly six minutes slower in any%. He has held some drat impressive times in the Lufia 2 Ancient Cave as well, which has some similarity to the Fiesta in terms of the lateral thinking you'll need to adapt to what an RNG decides you get. He's also one of the chillest streamers of the lot, in my opinion, second only to..
* Puwexil, who's roughly six minutes slower than that in any%. Puwexil is a vast font of Final Fantasy (and Chrono Trigger) knowledge, and currently holds the WR in FF6 any% glitchless. He's also got experience with Fiesta rules and The Run, having decisively won last year's Run against..
* Dragondarch, who is a bit of a speedrun dilettante. He holds a bunch of SDA records for games of varying amounts of quality, including the segmented Lufia II record. He's not terribly popular around these parts after his abysmal Run last year and his behavior during it, and by all accounts his strategy for this year seems no less bizarre, so he may be the optimal schadenfreude option.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Man, that UI really is just atrocious. RPG Maker has a better UI than that at this point.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Thief/Berserker until Ronka is loving suffering.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

I know your pain, though I've got Monk (and two Berserkers) but Soul Cannon is going to be a nightmare. Probably gonna have to grind out that 200k gil for four Angel Rings.
That's what I'm doing right now, though I think I can get away with only one or two.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Chaotic Neutral posted:

That's what I'm doing right now, though I think I can get away with only one or two.
Wound up needing L24 for the M11 on Berserker Galuf, an Angel Ring on him, and some decent luck with launcher targeting and accuracy, but made it.

God that sucked

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
And then Gilgabot springs a Delayed Berserker Trap on me. Thief/Berserker/Dragoon/Berserker. :smith:

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

This shitbag stabbed the Grand Cross part to death solely so everyone else could get killed by a random panic Meteo and he could look like the cool lone survivor saving the day.

But he's not cool.

He's a dick.

Now Lenna the Dragonslayer, she's cool.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Note to self: trying to fight Forza and Magissa with White Mages at level 5 is stupid. Doable, but stupid.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Maleketh posted:

Keep Silence up on Magissa to keep her from casting, and make sure you're got the flail from the Ship Graveyard. I actually didn't find it too tedious. Then again I think I was twice your level, which may have helped. :v:
Yeah, the level difference is pretty significant. High flail rolls were like.. mid-40s on Magissa and rarely 30+ on Forza. She actually wound up running out of MP. :v:

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
4x White Mage to Crescent is proving almost as crushingly tedious as Thief/Berserker til Ronka. At least in this case I don't have to steal Hi-Potions, but god drat everything takes FOREVER

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

What would theoretically be the hardest run/conditions to do with do repeating final classes?
I'm having trouble parsing this question. Do you mean with fire/earth giving the same job, or just having two of the same job in general, or..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

Missed my typo. I meant to say, the hardest possible run/conditions with 4 unique, different classes. They could be from any crystal.
Thief/Dragoon/Dancer/Red Mage, in that order.

You know it's a bad party when getting Monk would be an improvement.

Unfortunately, it's not Chaos legal - Red Mage would be shuffled forward. Thief/Geomancer/Dragoon/Dancer, however, is. It's a little better since Geo can help a lot on randoms, but until then..

• Locked thread