Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
My body is ready for 1 Monk 3 Berserkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

By the way, for any veterans playing the GBA version I am working on a patch to make the game more exciting! The fanart post has links to the most recent versions along with a changelog file with instructions on how to patch. (The dropbox links are the most recent version, I can't guarantee that Kyrosiris will keep the mirrors updated.) Here are some exciting reasons to try the patch out:

code:
* Gaia is no longer dependent on the user's level. Instead, it just picks one of the
  four available spells for the terrain equally at random, and in a nod to Final Fantasy III,
  there is a 2% chance that Shadowflare (the chemist mix) will be cast instead.
* Dragoons now innately have the Doublehanded skill and all the spears can be Doublehanded.
* Berserkers, due to the fact that they only attack, now have their other ability slots freed
  up like Mimes. You can equip up to 3 additional abilities on them!!!
* Red Mages can now learn two extra skills: Black4 and White4, giving them access to a few
  more useful tools. Their skill progression is now Red1 > Red2 > Red3 > Black4 > White4 > Dualcast.
  Black4 costs 150 AP, White4 costs 250 AP. As compensation, Dualcast costs only 400 AP.
* Fists can be Spellbladed. Yes, now you can have your monks literally punch with fists of fire!
* !Dance is affected differently by Dancer specific equipment:

o The Lamia's Tiara replaces Mystery Waltz with Sword Dance.
      o The Rainbow Dress replaces Jitterbug with Sword Dance.
      o The Red Slippers replaces Tempting Tango with Sword Dance.

That's right, Dancers can now guarantee Sword Dance by equipping a full wardrobe!
* Brave Blade's attack rating is updated from (150 - #escapes) to (#kills/4), capped at 200.
  Kills are only counted if you successfully win the fight.
* Whips now deal critical damage (2x base damage, enemy defense reduced to 0)
  when then enemy is asleep, paralyzed, slowed or stopped.
The patch is in progress so there will be more fun stuff added on in the future!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Eh. Samurai's far from being hilariously good - it won't make a bad party better and it won't make a good party worse. Its toolkit is anemic - Shirahadori is mediocre since an ability slot is usually more valuable than a 25% evasion check, Zeninage is highly situational due to its formula and any party that has to rely on it is in abysmal shape already, and Iainuki is a decent instant kill effect for a skill 800+ AP deep into a subpar physical attacker. Crits are nice, but so unreliable as to barely count as a perk.

Heavy Armor is nice. Offensive power is better. It's no Geomancer or Dragoon, but it's still a third-rate class.
Samurais have innate Shirahadori. Give your Samurai an Elven Mantle, a Shield and a Main Gauche and they're kind of insane on the dodging front. They're also the only job that can equip Katanas, and at least two of them are good; Wind Slash can proc... Wind Slash :v: and Masamune is kind of insane (guaranteed first action in battle and unlimited casts of Haste.) Like every other heavy armour job they also have a high vitality score, which means more HP. People underestimate how valuable HP is considering NED has a "You must have this much HP to win" move. Samurais aren't Bards or Chemists but they're only one tier down from the jobs that steamroll the game.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Chaotic Neutral posted:

but the threshold for NED is pretty low if you can get your hands on any source of Shell
Yes, because your team either has a White Mage, Blue Mage or Chemist. All 3 of which help you steamroll the game. (Okay, most of the game for White Mage.)

Edit: Technically Beastmasters and rod users have access to Shell, but Beastmasters have the task of capturing a Crystelle and every rod using job (minus Red Mage, rip Red Mage) is good.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 19, 2015

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

It's just hilarious that there are two ultimate weapons that boost the power of every element in the game EXCEPT for the one used by the penultimate summon. What were they even thinking?
Basically to save ROM space they put stat boosts and elemental boosts in the same byte so something had to give, it ended up being water :v:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

It's nothing mechanical-changing; pretty sure it's just aesthetic changes.
Now it unlocks all the jobs at the start of the game! :toot:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

I updated the balance patch after I noticed that I broke Mind Blast when I moved some things in the ROM; It would cause the player characters to enter an untargetable state (Hidden, but not hidden.) I took the oppurtunity to add a few things!

code:
* The Osafune casts Quick when used as an item, and breaks if you do this.
  (The Osafune is a Katana available at Surgate Castle in World 2.)
* The Magus Rod boosts the Water element.
* Berserkers are capable of using certain !Commands in battle if they have
  them equipped. The valid !Commands they can use are:

o !Focus
      o !Mug
      o !Jump
      o !Lance
      o !Aim
      o !Rapidfire
      o !Dance
      o !Mineuchi

Now they can use slightly more abilities!
* Carbuncle is guaranteed to drop a Reflect Ring.
* Monks now counter 90% of the time, up from 50%.
* Monks have a x1.5 damage multiplier at full health (This multiplier
  should be calculated before defense is subtracted.)
* Monks have innate Regen. (This was actually in the previous version,
  but I forgot document it...)
As usual, the patch can be found in the first post, or you can find a link in the changelog.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 25, 2015

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

I think patches that have mechanical changes (usually rebalances to make certain classes suck less) would not be considered in the spirit of the fiesta, no. On the other hand, it's a charity event people do for fun, so no one is going to stop you.
I hope gilgabot gets swamped with lots of ~*~fiesta~*~ victory shots this year.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

A Raving Loon submitted a ~*~FIESTA~*~ victory screen last year, so he should know.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

LaserShark posted:

Hm. I just tried a game with the Fiesta patch, starting from scratch, and the Wind Shrine still gave me the standard jobs. Is there a way to tell if I installed it correctly?
Did you download the patch off the dropbox link or Kyrosiris's site?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

LaserShark posted:

From the dropbox link.
That should be the most up to date one. If it's working, you should have gotten all the jobs at the start of the game (before even meeting Galuf.)

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

SubNat posted:

I don't suppose the GBA Sound patch + FFVA Balance Mod patch are compatible?
In theory they should be, but I've never done a full run with them together. Give it a whirl, if something breaks you can just continue the save with the regular version. Someone else tried combining them and I haven't heard any issues yet.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'm redy. I'd like to go with a Karnak Truther name but 10% of another berserker is what I'd rather have, for some hosed up reason.

What color should I make the background, anyway?
Nauseous green, obviously.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Just tuned in, everyone is in World 2 except for DD... who still hasn't picked up Dancer yet. :downs:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Got Monk/Berserker/Knight/Berserker, team powerhouse is ready to roll :toot:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Ilyich posted:

Jesus, Ninja scrolls are obscenely strong. :stare: They're so cheap too.
Wait till you give your Ninja !Summon 6 or something that passes a good magic score :getin:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Somehow managed to eke a win on Byblos with Monk/Monk/Knight/Berserker by having him never cast Protect. Didn't even need to dry his MP out. :toot:

Brannock posted:

Doing random battles with Ninja/Chemist/Chemist/Berserker is miserable so I've been !Smoking out of fights, but I'm going to have to eventually grind out the Wall Rings or Chemist ingredients.

Honestly I'd rather have a party that can trivialize random encounters but has challenges on bosses, than a party that trivializes bosses but gets smeared by random fuckoff enemies.
Don't grind out the rings/ingredients and you've got that party! :v:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Finally finished my first run! :toot: Team Monk/Zerk/Knight/Zerk was basically a nonstop murdertrain fueled by Hi-potions and Elixirs, and with my mod I was able to have my Zerks !Focus through most of the game. Faris was even able to hit the damage cap with the Rune Axe. :getin: Having a Brave Blade powered by kills instead of being weakened by running was also great. Now I'm going to do a 750 run because this Random Berserker Risk decided to be a no750 run.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Bufuman posted:

I was mostly unsure about it because I wasn't sure how the Necrophobe encounter would go without him, but I guess I'll find out when I get to him! Hey, empty treasure chest! :frogout:
You just need to chew through about 10k extra HP.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Bufuman posted:

White Mage / Summoner / Geomancer.

Anyway, final job is... Chemist? Awesome.
We're Fiesta twins! :toot:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Singing the speed song is probably more useful than Hero's Rime since it'll give you more actions. Maybe consider gimping your berserkers so that you can max the speed song and then pump Hero's Rime? Two people are more than enough to chump NED with maxed song buffs. You can also Hide to dodge any attack you know is coming.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Finished my 750 run! :toot: Obviously did both superbosses,although I only used !Mix to berserk Omega. !White trivializes nearly any form of damage, I could damage race almost every boss just by applying the protective buffs and with Summoner on the team the Void was cruise control (except for Halicarnassus, who has a specific unblockable counter to !Summon...) Going to do a regular run next, and hopefully get a balanced set of jobs (physically/magically speaking, that is.) The only jobs I haven't gotten yet are Mystic Knight and Ranger, so hopefully Gilgabot is nice and gives those!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Time or Blue are fun jobs to mess around with. Blue has more versatility in damage, support and healing, but you have to deal with the spell collectathon aspect. Time has a lot of effects to mess with and gives you a strong buff early, but it's not a great primary source of damage.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

The doc has all the info you need to patch ROMs! At least, the dropbox link does.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

I need to update the Fiesta patch to have an immediate visible change on the title screen (and give NED a sombrero.) Maybe change Bartz's default name to Fiesta too???

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Doom Goon posted:

Do you know if the Balance Mod enables !Check/!View on bosses? I'm loving my Blue Mage run but it's the stupidest thing.
It doesn't and I didn't know that was a thing!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Run number 3 done! :toot: Went for the brave blade again, but this time I sorely regretted it since my dancer wasn't able to pump out much damage without using a equip weapon skill; If I picked up the chicken knife I could have given him equip shields and help his survivability. Highlights: Running out of phoenix downs in the Void, to the point where I finished Necrophobe with none left in inventory (and forcing me to buy some more outside the void), and taking on NED at a low level and gambling on an Aegis block on Almagest and raw damage rushing to kill it before it got a second one off.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Tried another regular run hoping for an interesting combo, instead I get... Monk/Summoner/Geomancer/Chemist, which is my 750 run except with monk subbing in for White. drat you, Gilgabot! :argh:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Run number 4 done! :toot: Unfortunately this was basically my 750 run with Monk instead of White Mage, which tore a new one into the game. I finished with my lowest level yet, blazing through World 2 and 3 with impunity. I was actually running out of funds and entered the Void with 2 Hermes Sandals, ignoring every chest in World 3 that didn't have sweet, sweet cash. Monk synergizing extremely well with Chemist also meant I only picked up the Chicken Knife for its !Flee proc, since my Chemist and Monk could do way more damage with Barehanded and Hero Cocktails. This team was perfect too, since Summoner let me tank Omega and Shinryu with Golems and let me get through Monk's World 1 troubles and Geomancer meant I didn't have to worry about Exdeath's lava tiles.

I'm going to try one more normal run and hope I get Mystic Knight or Ranger (which I still haven't gotten yet), and hopefully I won't get repeat combinations either. :argh:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Cure Beasts in Moore have them as rare drops according to the algorithms guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Last fiesta for the year! :toot: Despite the lineup, this was actually a regular run. I was hoping for a Mystic Knight or Ranger, since I've never gotten one for a Fiesta yet but this combo was pretty solid otherwise, if not one-dimensional. Almost had NED down on my first try, but I triggered the danger phase and had my Samurai survive with single digit HP. If I was faster I could have popped off an elixir before the sap effect kicked in :negative:

In the end, since I was playing with my mod I used 10 Osafunes to cram a bunch of Fuma Shurikens down Almagest's throat and then Zeninage'd the rest. An okay run, just needed to grind a bit for some Death Sickles, some gold for Zeninage and AP for a dual-wielding artful dodging Berserker. A walk through Phoenix Tower with a Thief solved the last two problems :v:

• Locked thread