Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If JLU really goes whole hog with this idea of them pulling in heroes and villains from all the different multiverses it could be a really amazing comic. I want to see an issue where multiple versions of a single character all meet and have to work together or something.

Also I hope Earth 2 is good almost solely because I want to read about a Dick Grayson Batman again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It looks better than the DC house coloring style but that's true of pretty much every drawing. It's a decently stylized picture that wouldn't look out of place in a 90s book, perhaps from Joe Mad or Humberto Ramos. And I say that as somebody who actually liked those two back in the day.

The main thing that sticks out to me is the guns - one is drawn straight from the front and the other is drawn straight from the side. This suggests that the artist has zero confidence in his ability to draw guns with any kind of foreshortening or from any kind of angle. They make the picture look awkwardly posed - Jason is holding his arms at unnatural angles to ensure the guns are facing the viewer at the easiest-to-draw angle. That is some amateur hour DeviantArt poo poo.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Posture is certainly odd but isn't as unnatural as you think.

He doesn't seem to have any issue drawing guns from different angles anyways

And checking his gallery, it turns out he designed the character of Lady Spider for Spider-Verse

Yeah, I saw that picture of Jason jumping off the roof had a gun flying through the air at an extreme angle too. Still having some good perspective in other drawings does not make that one particular drawing any better.

edit: Steampunk is loving garbage

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's pretty obviously Batpleseed I think Capullo even namedropped that one

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm co admin of the RHATO (soon to get a name change) fanpage on Facebook

Beautiful

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The impression I got from the preview was that Midnighter is a crazy person. Is that accurate? That was my first exposure to the character. He kinda feels like a less-goonlord version of Judge Dredd.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That Batman suit. :allears: that's Dick in the suit right?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Buy The Black Mirror and Batwoman: Elegy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So wait Harley Quinn is too 'random' for you but killer mimes isn't? That's the most monkey penguin cheese spork thing in this entire relaunch.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hal Jordan Poses for Comic Book Cover

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

Looks like Hal forgot that he has a power ring on that cover.

Whenever you notice something like that, his ring has run out of power.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Man I hope Jim smears those little shits across the Goddamn city

Is THAT a thing an insane person might say? I feel like wishing Jason Todd would get beat up is a completely normal impulse.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

People asking what something is like on an internet forum? :argh:

Wow, I'm seriously out of touch with the comics. I like to try and keep up with whats going on but I haven't read comics in some years. Much has happened if what the Batman is, is now controlled by other people. Do all WE execs know Bruce is bats? Does Gorden know officially that Bruce is bats now? I think I preferred it in the mid 80's/90's with dark psycho Batman, Jason (when he was DEAD!), Tim, Dick and co. I think there have been quite a few reboots since then. The last reboot when I were reading them was Zero Hour, which wasn't a reboot really, and I started reading them just after Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Nobody knows who Batman is/was. This company has stepped in after his apparent death to fill the void since Gotham always needs a Batman and they tapped Gordon to do it. If you read the issue it goes into a series of recruits they have training and why they wanted Gordon who is pushing fifty instead of one of the super fit young dudes they've picked from the academy.

I don't even think most people aside from Bullock and probably the new commissioner Maggie Sawyer know that it's Gordon in the suit. Barbara obviously doesn't know.

Come to think of it, does Sarah Essen exist in the New 52?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

His old friend Dick Grayson might just stop in to wish him luck. Let's us wish him luck too!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Telling good stories while ignoring dumb lovely ones is Good Comics, I'm sorry all you care about is how things fit into the larger N52verse but the rest of us just want to read some good comics and don't give a gently caress about Tim or Jason's new awful backstories.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

My judgement of the Robins skills stems from what we've seen on both the sneak peek and this issue, and regular people can't simply jump from a crane without getting hurt.

Yes they can, it's a comic book.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm glad you're happy, Dark_Tzitzimine

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Anyways, Johns will write six one shots connecting with Darkseid War on October

No thank you, sir

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Superman murdering people and also claiming complete power is also not Superman. You seem to be saying "it would be awesome if Superman was God-Emperor of Earth but still maintained his sense of ethics and righteousness" but you're failing to realize that the thing that keeps Superman from becoming God-Emperor of Earth are the very same sense of ethics and righteousness.

There are all kinds of important ethical and philosophical reasons why you're wrong on this, but they would take ages and ages to explain. Please understand that when I say "suffice it to say, you'll grow out of it" I'm not trying to be a snarkily dismissive rear end in a top hat - almost everyone I know thought along similar lines at some point in their life and then realized they were wrong once they got a bit older and learned more poo poo via life experience. So instead of spending the next few hours explaining things like "if someone forces you to be good, then by taking away the choice they have essentially rendered 'being good' a valueless proposition" and suchlike, I'm just going to reassure you that in a few years you'll remember having written those last few posts and wince.

Yes, these are the posts she's going to wince about in a few years, and not the chaos magic stuff.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

MonsterEnvy posted:

I still kind of hate that Raven Outfit.

You should, it's still really awful

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BatGordon is fighting pretty much every DC superhero right now, isn't he.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm curious how the hell you're so 'infuriated' about the movie's handling of Robin when literally all we know is that the character exists and was killed by the Joker, which is pretty accurate to his origins. I guess traditionally, Joker doesn't spraypaint taunting messages on Robin's body? Is that what you're upset about?

Comic books are pretty malleable. I think you have to let go of how a character is "supposed" to be and let them change. Sometimes they change into something lovely you don't like, but this being comic books, they'll usually change back.

However I agree that writers should have stuck closer to Jason Todd's traditional characterization as a dead body, rotting in the ground.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Having it be Dick-the first and only Robin, apparently-as opposed to Jason means that the idea of Robin is flawed and that Bruce got him killed through recklessly bringing a kid with him to fight crime. When it's the second Robin that dies, Robin as a concept isn't disproven, it's just unlucky, and a third Robin forced his way into being partners with Bats and proving again that it could work, but I doubt they'll be doing that here.

Unless the Affleck directed movie is about Bruce meeting Tim. Then I will be loving ecstatic.

What makes you think this is Dick's costume? As hard as BvS is cribbing from Miller's DKR, I think it's a lot more likely that Jason got killed like usual and Bruce hasn't spoken to Dick in a while because of it.

Unless there's an interview or something that confirms that it's Dick, I haven't seen any such thing but I might be wrong. You're making a lot of assumptions based on literally three seconds of a dead Robin's costume.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's an Elseworlds, but they don't like to call them Elseworlds any more. Batman and Superman have already had Earth One graphic novels. Batman's was awful, I haven't read Superman.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Personally I hate the gadget fetishism and tactical 'realistic' attention paid to Batman. It's my least favorite part of the character and it's only gotten worse and worse as real life technology has evolved and comic book technology has had to make up some truly ridiculous poo poo to stay ahead. I don't mind it in small doses, like in Batman Begins when he's designing his batarangs and when Lucius is showing him the glider cape. That shows you just enough realistic technology to suspend your disbelief when he starts flying around. But like, the whole bit in Dark Knight where he reconstructs the bullet and takes a fingerprint off of it, that put me right to sleep. Earth One is really obsessed with this "real world" Batman to the extent that Bruce isn't actually good at anything. He's just a guy in decent enough shape with a bunch of expensive toys. Which, if that's an angle you want to see explored, cool, but it's not one I'm very interested in.

To a certain degree I want to see Batman as a random person in Gotham might see him. Very mysterious. He seemingly does the impossible. I don't need to know exactly how his grappling hook works. I need to see a spooky guy in a big swooshy cape seemingly fly off into the sky. It's enough for me to know that he has a grappling hook at all. My ideal Batman does his Batman thing through a blend of gadgets, ninja skills, theatrical misdirection and sleight of hand, that kind of stuff.

And this is a nitpicky pet peeve of mine but I hate when people draw actual eyes on Batman.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Fuckstick Electric posted:

Is there a reason for the obsession with Waller being overweight? Coming from someone on neither side of the fence it seems odd to pigeon-hole a character who, as I understand it, is almost sociopathic and pursuant to her ideologies which I'd assume also meant being as physically fit as possible. But then again I really don't have the history with the character so I'm genuinely curious.

She was a short, chunky black single mother who had the clout to command a team of super-villains and out-maneuver Batman when he tried to shut her down. All these things made her incredibly unique and it was a fascinating character to unpack. I haven't read much of the character in n52 but I think I read she's not a single mother any more, so she's even less unique. You've got her pegged sort of wrong, I wouldn't say she's sociopathic. She's certainly driven. I doubt she considers herself a 'good' person, she does have ethics. She's just willing to sacrifice her own ethical code to do what she thinks is going to benefit her country more.

Also being fat wasn't a huge part of her character which was incredibly rare in comics. She was just fat, that's how she looked. They didn't feel the need to draw her scarfing Ho-Hos every issue. It's a refreshing take on the shadowy government operative cliche. In a world where even like Professor X is drawn with biceps and washboard abs it was nice to see a character drawn more like a real desk jockey.

e: AND she did all that without falling into the 'sassy thick black lady' cliche. Goddamn Ostrander was the man.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 30, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Read Ostrander's Suicide Squad, Dark_Tzitzimine

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Are you saying that because Waller was written badly in 52 (years after her defining stories in one of the best written comics in the history of DC) you needed a continuity reboot to enjoy the character? Like you go on and on about how Tynion was so awful at writing Jason but you are still reading the character by other writers. You're not waiting for another reboot to see if Jason is better handled this time.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Madkal posted:

Actually Todd was used quite effectively in Batman: Cult and Superman: For the Man who has everything.

Both of these are great stories but you'd lose nothing in either of them by making Robin Dick or Tim instead of Jason.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There were a few Batman stories from that era with some really intense, vibrant colors. I was really glad to see that kind of thing come back in Capullo's Zero Year. Just dope rear end splash pages soaking in bright blues and magentas.

e: if we're talking about weird disconnected stuff packaged in TPBs my favorite is this utterly out of nowhere Batman/Alan Scott team-up that's in the back of the Man Who Laughs TPB, which is a post-Year One retelling of Joker's first appearance from back in 1940 or whatever. It's by Brubaker too but it has not a single Goddamn thing to do with the main story.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 4, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The art would be pretty good if the costume designs weren't so completely poo poo. How the hell is Bruce OK with Jason running around with guns and trading on his status as a Bat-partner to get hired to shoot people? Or poo poo, since Bruce is dead, why hasn't literally any other Bat-family member showed up to shut this enterprise down?

So he's his own man now...but he's wearing a big red bat symbol and advertising himself as "Rent-a-Bat" and he's being paid to shoot people with guns. I think I've been turned around on this whole issue, Red Hood is actually still a supervillain and he's a pretty good one after all.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

You should catch up on Batman.

I know he's got a superpowered Siri chair now, is he seriously already back in Snyder's book too? Christ.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah, I remember the little sting at the end of BatGordon's first issue. Haven't read one since then, for no real reason. Honestly I half expected Snyder to bring Joker back first.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You only hate capitalism because you're a fascist who wants superman to rule the world with an iron fist and torture people you deem "evil" so shut the hell up, WickedHate

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Blam Blam Blam Wham Slam

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't even remember what thread we were having this conversation in but that is everything wrong with modern day sound effects right there.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Oh man that Detective (Ducktective) Comics cover is incredible. That's the best possible cartoon to reference!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I wasn't aware anybody actually bought variant covers, I thought we all just looked at them on the Internet and remarked about how cool/bad they were.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Senor Candle posted:

What the gently caress is this from?

adobe

e: apparently googling, it is a real thing? the incredibly lovely boxes and weird font looked super fake to me. well, whatever

VV That's just how Ramos drew man. They got worse, along with everything else, as Ramos slowly slid into self-parody.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Andreyko didn't say anything about it that I recall. He was too busy tearing down Kates life and getting her hypno-raped by a vampire.

I'm pretty sure Batman does call her Kate in the last Williams issue when they're fighting right at the end.

She is related to the Kanes, Bruces mother's family. I remember Alfred saying something about it in the early issues of her solo book. I don't know if they're explicitly cousins though.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 20, 2015

• Locked thread