Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

your description of steel ball run is very rude to johnny

Yeah well, Johnny is kind of lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

I'm actually impressed that no one has "accidentally" revealed the second time stop in the anime thread. One thing is ZA WARUDO, everyone and his dog knows that because of the meme, but Star Platinum being able to stop time seems to have gone mostly unspoiled.

I actually think it's kind of interesting in hindsight, most stands have an ability on top of being able to attack. Arguably not Silver Chariot.

Silver Chariot has the auxiliary abilities of sword-shooting and armor removal, but those are technically in keeping with his general stabbiness.

Hermit Purple can obviously be used as entangling vines, but also has the ability to divine things.
Hierophant Green can Emerald Splash at things, but can also possess things.
Avdol has all sorts of utility fire-powers, and can, of course, still punch and kick at things.
The Fool's sand can shapeshift into things.

Jotaro can...???

Jotaro (and arguably polnareff) is the only one who doesn't really have an ability before Star Platinum's timestop is revealed. He can punch and kick really well, but that's a matter of degree in comparison to the others, not really a specific ability.

edit: I mean, yeah, Jotaro's baseline capability with the stand is really high. He's got ridiculous eyesight and other senses with it too, but it's not an 'ability'

Exercu fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 11, 2015

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Kunster posted:

Or it could be that the time stop is merely a super slowing downs of time, so he'd be normally throwing a knife on "time stop time", and then when time goes back to normal, you have the knife thrown at a higher speed since he threw the knife "normally" on time stop.

Definitely not true. Kakyoin makes it very clear that no time at all passed between the different parts of his barrier breaking. Not even a micro second.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Honestly I think the best parts of Stardust Crusaders (except for the D'arby fight, Ice and Dio) are the parts where they're not busy being stand users out to fight other evil stand users, but are just sort of encountering weird regional things and shooting the poo poo. Jotaro's (off-screen) cigarette trick, Joseph vehemently disagreeing with the concept of hot cola, Kakyoin never removing his school uniform, even when sunbathing, Kakyoin and Polnareff bonding over hand signals and so on.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I still have no idea how this works and it's still the funniest thing. :allears:

Well he's a student, you know.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

But yeah, that's why I don't really get most of the complaints about "filler" in Jojo's, because what Jojo's gets me that most other manga series don't give me is:

Creative battles (A lot has already been said about these, but the use of powers in Jojo's is generally an order of magnitude more interesting than other manga)

Downtime.

Like, in a lot of other series you might want to know what the gently caress goes on with the characters when there's no huge existential threat looming over them. How do these super-powered individuals interact with regular society? It's why "Goku and Piccolo learn to drive" is so inherently hilarious. Or why pretty much all of One-Punch Man is hilarious, because Saitama cares more about special sale day than about super dangerous monsters.

This is also why part 4 and 7 are the best parts, because a fair lot of the time they are not in "impending battle" mode, which leaves time for them to just hang around and make stupid puns or cheat at gambling, or punch a plate of spaghetti.

Similarly we get things in part 3 where Polnareff being a travelling french bum gets his luggage mistaken for trash, or Kakyoin eating cherries weird, or Jotaro, Polnareff and Joseph, in their attempt to find a stand user, just beat the poo poo out of some random people at a restaurant.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah.

I never liked the interpretation that they knew because it's way funnier to think the crusaders just get up to dumb stuff whenever they have a free moment.

Man, it's explicit.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 15, 2015

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Please do not hotlink images.

Fixed. I knew there was something I was forgetting.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

minoru suzuki posted:

this has nothing to do with anything but if part iv gets animated by david, would Psycho Killer not be the perfect ED for the kira half of the series?

No. At least not if they're trying to do the same as they did in part 3

(part 3 takes place in 87, Last Train Home is from 87, Walk Like An Egyptian from 86, but was at the top of the billboard charts in 87)

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

minoru suzuki posted:

i think you're overthinking that correlation since yes was around a couple years after 1887

I doubt it's an accident that the two ending songs for part 3 are respectively the highest one on the billboard chart for 87 and a song from 87.

(this is also why the ending theme for part 4 should be Smash Mouth - All Star)

For a second half ending, joke guess is "Hands" by Jewel

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

As someone who knows almost nothing about Akagi, I'm guessing this match up is still going to this day?

Yes.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i mentioned it in the anime thread, but 'the hand' is a pun off of the the name of a band actually called 'the band' using the fact that the symbols to represent h and b look kinda similar or something. so it's probably fine, yeah.

In Japanese the (written) syllables ha-hi-hu-he-ho can be changed into ba-bi-bu-be-bo by adding a dakuten, which is basically two small marks. Kind of looks like a quotation mark! So the English word "hand" written in katakana is:

ハンド
ha-n-do

"Band", however, is

バンド
ba-n-do.

So yeah, "ha" and "ba" are very very similar.

note that I am still in my introductory Japanese learning, but I'm pretty sure this is right

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't think he does yet, but he's definitely gonna pick up on it either the first time he hears "TOKI WO TOMARE" or sees the knife thing when it's not in the OP.

"Toki yo Tomare", damnit :|.

Just a minor pet peeve.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Serperoth posted:

I did some looking into that a while ago and I think that it's "TOKI YO! TOMARE!", as in "Time! Stop!", commanding time to stop, rather than "time" (literally "clock") being the object (as would be denoted by the "wo").

And yeah R/L is weird in Japanese, since they don't have a 'dedicated' L sound, they just use the R phonemes. From context we can be sure it's "THE WORLD" rather than "THE WALDO". Not that it's a reference which would surprise me, considering it's JoJo.

Tomaru (imperative with the -e ending) is intransitive. It's not like English where "stop" pulls double duty with "The car stopped" and "I stopped the car". TomEru, with an e, is the transitive version.

So tomaru/tomare can't take objects at all.

Yo is a vocative marker, so sort of marks that he's specifically addressing the element preceding it.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

alcharagia posted:

what the gently caress

i have literally seen people consider D'arby the gambler to be kind of garbage and Alessi to be great

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm glad they didn't drag the fight on like some dbz poo poo. who would want that

agreed. the entire point of the fight is jotaro scrambling to outwit dio. jotaro hits dio, what, four times or so before super saiyan dio. (punch rushes count as one time) everything else in the fight is about jotaro outwitting dio, the most careful vampire in egypt, so he can land those punches

1. when they're punchrushing each other, jotaro scratches dio's face
2. post-magnet trick.
3. heart-stopping action
4. man-hole cover

did i forget one?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

ZWZ posted:

I always thought that he freaks out because he thinks that Jotaro has the same stand as Dio and that Jotaro is just loving with him when he asks him to explain what the world does. They establish earlier that hes really focusing to see if star platinum does anything to cheat and from Darby's perspective he either moves too fast too see or he stops time. Since the Darby's were probably close with Dio and not vampires its not crazy to think that Dio told them what the world does or at least showed it to them once like the Hol Horse scene.

My analysis of the situation is similar.

Consider this for a moment: You are a very good gambler, and you're cheating your balls off. But Jotaro inexplicably chooses not to look at his cards. This is weird in the first place, but okay, sure, maybe he just doesn't know how to play. Then he keeps raising, even betting his mother's life. Is he that certain that his cards are good? And apparently he is fast enough to grab a drink or light a smoke before you can tell. Is he fast enough to exchange the cards? Is that why he's so confident in them? And then he raises to the point where you winning would be a resounding victory for Dio as all the Joestars are eliminated...but if you lose, you die. (well, you give up the secret of Dio's stand, but no way he doesn't track you down and murder you for that).

D'arby was a very careful player. He never played a game he wasn't absolutely certain to win, even if he had to cheat to make that so. Jotaro created a reasonable expectation of foul play in D'arby's mind, and risking his life by calling a bet that Jotaro was so confident about, and where Jotaro could potentially have changed the cards without him seeing it? The objectively correct move by D'arby was to call it. D'arby was aware of that too. But losing would betray Dio, and we all know how the loyalty of Dio's minions can get a little fanatic.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

This is what I'd want to do, but I don't know how well it'd work out since there is already a breath meter in the game and idk how well it'd work to have to juggle ripple breathing and actual "need this to not suffocate" breathing

I wonder, not knowing the game at all, could you expand the breath meter a lot for ripple warriors including their breath regen and then have spells cast from breath?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

hoobajoo posted:

It's part making foreign words fit a language's phonetics, part archaic names for places, and part hearing about a country second hand before actually visiting it. "Japan" is I think the Cantonese pronunciation of the kanji that are used for it, so Marco Polo reported back about it, and now all of Europe calls it that.

Nah, Polo got it as Cipangu. It's better, it's portuguese traders getting the name Jepang from Malay who got the name from some Chinese dialect and now everything is all goofy.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Kira Yoshikage is smart, but not nearly as smart as he thinks he is.

Agreed. A lot of Kira's inner monologue revolves around him being smart enough etc. to be number one in school, but deliberately not doing so and getting third places instead. But whenever we see him actually getting into a battle with the duwang gang, they pretty much always outwit him in one way or the other and pretty much whenever someone proves that he's not as smart as he thinks he is, he loses it.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Daxing Dan posted:

And also, this week's mistranslation highlight:

In the old translation, this map of Venice, Italy was incorrectly labeled with several landmarks from Vienna, Austria.

I think the best thing is that they didn't try translating them at all, they just guessed using wikipedia. They still didn't get within 600 kilometers of the right ones. "Some inaccuracies" indeed

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

why do you think Dio decided to reject his humanity? he knew what happens to aged Brandos

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

giorino doesnt count because of the jojo curse of being fine as hell

Well considering that Dio is Jojo from the neck and down, perhaps the real issue is that if you're in the Jojo family line, but not named Jojo, you become ugly as gently caress. (Haruno Shiobana knew that and hurried to change his name to Giorno Giovanna)

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

what did you just say about known perfect angel holly kujo

Holly Kujo, born Joestar

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Merry christmas JoJobuddys who read the manga and are therefore cooler people than the rest of the jojo people on this forum I hope you got some cool poo poo today and have a GREAT DAY(s) that is all

merry christmas from the city of Duwang. (Spending my Christmas in Japan, specifically around Sendai at the mo)

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

The entire point is that someone who was certainly not expected to help babby josuke did so even though he was injured from fighting, and Josuke found that super worthy of emulating.

This leads Josuke to be inarguably the kindest JoJo (yes, including Jonathan).

If the one who rescued babby josuke was actually josuke himself, that undercuts basically everything about josukes character. He's a good person because he would save his own life? Uh, okay, so would basically everyone.

This is also the root of his stand ability. Josuke saves others with no regard for his own safety, and brawls a lot. Like the delinquent.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Anecdotal evidence on part popularity. In a nice little store in Akiba I found one Cream, one Josuke, one stone mask, one Avdol, one part 5 spoiler, one purple haze, one gold experience, one Tonio, one oingo boingo, one jotaro and two kosaku kiras.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Phone posting here, but basically my "issue" with parts 1-3 is that they're fundamentally about absurd caricatures fighting against enemies that are generally more humanoid obstacles than they are people. Like the most fleshed out villain in part 3 is basically hol horse. Dio is an absurd caricature like the heroes.

In part 4 we get a fleshing out on both sides. Josuke is more human than any previous JoJo, but someone like, say, Tamami feels more like a person than N'doul. And them being people, if really weird people, rather than obstacles shaped like people means that the relation between the characters can and does change over time.

Even the heel face turns in part 3 were not explained through who they were as people, but through them being freed from mind control.

I still like parts 1 to 3, but there's no doubt that araki has somewhat of a breakthrough when he lets the JoBros fight people with stands rather than stands with people.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I imagine it's the difference between Anasui not wanting to sexually assault Jolyne and Joshuu being thirsty to the point of being willing to sexually assault the woman claiming to be his own mother, so one comes off as much grosser than the other.

By the way, I know the JJL translation includes an excess of "u"s in names, so with Joshuu's name, is it really just supposed to be Josh, or Joshu, or is the translator right for once and it is just Joshuu, or did they screw up and it's supposed to be Joshua?

The JJL translation is overly literal, but generally not incorrect. The extra "u"s in there are there in Japanese. We're just used to Kujo Jotaro rather than Kuujou Joutarou.

Japanese distinguishes long and short vowels (English doesn't, my mother tongue, Danish, does), so whenever you have the double u or the ou, that's essentially how Japanese shows long vowels. Because we're reading it in English, a language without long and short vowels, translators often don't mark long and short vowels. See also the Hyuuga clan in Naruto (sometimes transliterated as Hyuga for people who don't like long vowels).

There's only one way to say the vowels in Japanese, so knowing that, it's the same Jo as all the other Jo and shu like in the word shoot in English. It's probably the only name where the immediate apparent pronunciation in English is the wrong one.

Also this is not actually true (because of phonemic length in Japanese). It's the same Jo as some other Jos, but not Jonathan, Joseph, Giorno, Jolyne and Johnny. If you listen to how they say Joseph Joestar, you should be able to notice that the Jo in Joestar is longer. Same vowel quality, but different lengths.

The katakana for Joseph Joestar transliterate to
Jo-se-fu-Jō-su-tā

Exercu fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 10, 2017

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

the most entry level truth of jojo is realizing that joseph is kind of an rear end in a top hat, and many people fail that step spectacularly

also he's kind of boring and it doesn't help that part 2 is the Only Joseph Does Things Power Hour, which would be better if he happened to be more interesting (see: gappy in jojolion currently), but, he's not

Yeah, Joseph's first moment on screen is being good and heroic in the vein of George, so we get to think "Oh man, what a gentleman", until he flips his poo poo and destroys two policemen - who, granted, did deserve it, but the only reason why he thinks anything at all about this episode is because Erina is going to get mad at him for losing his temper. Unlike Jonathan who was motivated by wanting to be a good person, Joseph is only motivated here by not letting his grandma down (and he kind of does anyway). He then heroically fights an rear end in a top hat in a restaurant, which is good! He then fucks up a guy who just gave him bad news. With no regard for other people, he Tommy-guns Straits and the entire bar. He then tries to call Straits' "bluff" with the hostage, who gets a tooth ripped out for that...

That's basically the first two episodes of Battle Tendency. Joseph is our protagonist, and he's funny, but that shouldn't distract us from the fact that he's a jerk.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

yeah actually they will posted:

the reason prosciutto was using greatful dead indiscriminately on the express was because he knew it would affect women at a slower rate than men and that's why trish was relatively unaffected.

remember when rohan said heaven's door only worked on people who were "compatible" with his manga and then he used it on that chicken leg

chicken legs love manga tbh.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

I prefer Vento but it was announced as Golden Wind in Japan too so it's a conscious move away from Vento for the franchise it seems.

I mean, it's always been Ougon no Kaze - with Le Bizzarre Avventure di GioGio - Parte 5 - Vento Aureo written on it at times. But at least I'm not going to refer to the part as parte 5, or Jojo's bizarre adventure as Le Bizzarre Avventure di GioGio for the foreseeable future, so I don't really mind sticking to everything being translated.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

It makes more sense that Diavolo had his hatchet man deal with Sorbet and Gellato than him doing it himself. Because he almost certainly wouldn't have bothered with the weird return to sender thing and would've just left their bodies somewhere no one would ever find them.

Also because it's a direct reference to the Godfather novel where Don Corleone's enforcer, Luca Brasi, kidnaps two Capone men, stuffs towels in their mouths to gag them, then takes an axe and starts cutting one to pieces, starting at the feet and moving upwards until the guy dies. The other of the two dies from choking on the towel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

There's also this:

Kiddo was not just bleeding, he was drained