Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey I just finished Part 7 and enjoyed the hell out of it. Tons of good fights (really liked Sugar Mountain, of all things), and the evolution of Johnny's powers was really cool. I was glad that they managed to explain Stephen Steel's loving child bride in a way that negated how goddamn gross I found it to be (though like three other characters are actually in love with Lucy and two of those try to rape her so welp).

Probably won't read Part 8 right away though (especially because I like reading JoJo parts all at once).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm pretty sure Viz is handling the dub (though correct me if I'm wrong) because they have this weird relationship with Toonami where they'll just give them shows like Hunter x Hunter or JoJo months before the same episodes come out physically. They're pulling from an LA talent pool, as do most dubs.

Now, Chris Sabat is Texas-based, as are most of the voice actors who work primarily for Funimation. It's not impossible that he could voice Okuyasu; he made a cameo in the Viz dub of One Punch Man to fulfill a joke about Piccolo. However, that was apparently a nightmare to coordinate. It's much simpler, apparently, to get LA talent for Funimation, considering that, say, Matt Mercer currently voices Hit in Dragon Ball Super.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh shiiiiiiit, Coda's back!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just hope they find something to do with Fugo. Like, at all.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It is kind of great how you go through part 6 thinking "oh hey, maybe no one will die this time" and then everyone loving dies.

I had Jotaro's death spoiled for me repeatedly, but in context it's actually pretty misleading because he dies at the same time as everyone else.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uhh, Mr. President is the Stand name, I think you mean Coco Jumbo

:goonsay:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I read SBR pretty recently but honestly most of that poo poo doesn't really rank compared to Westwood's toenail, which is one of the only moments of gore in this series that I still remember and shudder thinking about.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Did Diego ever do anything to Johnny outside of the race?

Also, it's been a while since I've read VA. How did Mista survive being shot in the head on the train? I remember that he did, I just don't remember how.

Number 5 stopped the bullet inside his head.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like that it's Number 5, too. That it's the cowardly one who ultimately saves Mista's life is pretty neat.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I also forgot that 5 is the one who helps Giorno fight Cioccolata after the other Pistols get incapacitated.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Think we'll see any of the other members of the gang next week? I don't expect the full scene, but a peek at them might be possible depending on how much is between Polpo eating the banana and the table scene, I forget.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

As the guy who actually made that comment, I said it was actually the best name change, it was definitely in reference to Flaccid Pancake, and I was only being about 20 percent ironic in that assessment.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There aren't any copyrighted characters in Bohemian Rhapsody, Araki's editors made him not use any. That's why Mickey never actually shows up.

e: I guess that only applies to characters who appear onscreen. "Spiderman" is also clearly a distinct character from "Spider-Man," let's be real

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like that its user went catatonic from the sheer shock that he could ever possibly have been defeated.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No you don't, no one cares

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, at one point Johnny says (or finds out, whatever) that he needs his corpse part to use Tusk, but then he gives them all away at the end of Sugar Mountain and he can still do it, so that's not the only (really hate this phrase) plot hole in Part 7. Just ignore it, it's fine.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shadow Sabbath is a pretty good name tbh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Nope, it ends with him and Bucciarati entering the room where the gang is.

Oh hey, I was right.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Expect My Mom posted:

How did they handle Gold Experience getting stabbed with the arrow? Saving the episode to watch with some friends later and wondering if I need to start preparing an explanation for that, I already had to field some Why Was Polpo His Own Bed, Why Did Polpo Eat His Fingers questions

He blocks the arrow with Gold Experience's hand and Giorno starts bleeding from it. He does it twice, no special explanation or anything.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

To me, the scene where Johnny and Gyro are attacking Valentine and their attacks keep getting redirected to other countries where people just keep dying for no reason completely unpreventably is one of the most horrifying moments of the series and really cements that Valentine's whole idea is toxic. gently caress that dude.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's no way we get through Baby Face with no censorship

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm thinking about the chunk taken out of Giorno's throat.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aww, they ended right when Moody Blues shows up, which means I'm not sure we'll get to see Sex Pistols even next week at our current rate.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Heavy Weather is undeniably the asspulliest asspull in the whole series (maybe excepting if something happens in Part 8 that I haven't read yet) and I can't wait for the reaction to the explanation for it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Expect My Mom posted:

Weather's true power being sealed away I feel is pretty well foreshadowded unless you just mean that being able to turn people into snails through intense subliminal messaging made manifest transmitted through rainbows is incredibly wild power to have

The second thing

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

And I'm saying even by those standards, Heavy Weather is loving gonzo bonkers loving bugnuts crazy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Expect My Mom posted:

jolyne getting punched so hard she starts turning inside out so she turns herself into a mobius strip ftw

This is one of my favorite things any JoJo ever does

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So I guess if we're not seeing the dance then there's no chance of Sex Pistols, darn.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's really weird that DiU would adapt like seven chapters in a single episode at its peak and we're back down to like three now.

Not really trying to complain, just wanna see the bullet gremlins.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Electric Phantasm posted:

I can't check the manga right now, but was the Soft Machine fight framed like this?

It looks like Bruno is fighting a fly. Which somehow would not be the most ridiculous fight in the series.

To an extent, yeah:

There's more panels like those but none of them place quite so much emphasis on the fly.

e: unless you meant the specific framing of that shot, in which case, no, Davidpro added that and I'm glad of it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Did Moody Blues get an english name change?

It'd be easier to list the Stands that won't be getting name changes.

e: if you're asking what it got changed to, it's Moody Jazz.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The dance owned

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Because the series explicitly says, "Giorno's powers will (probably) disappear when he dies" in this instance. After Baby Face most fights end with Giorno sticking objects into people's wounds to "fix" them, while Josuke just returns them to their prior state, at which point his power stops being active.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mista owns even if his bullets rarely work.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

please don't talk about my six perfect sons like that

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uh, Sports Maxx already has a Stand

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Johnny Joestar posted: