Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are there any specific examples highlighting why the part 8 translation is apparently bad?

The first volume or so's worth of chapters by Project Bite Me looks like it was "translated" by someone who banged his head on a thesaurus as a child, and also doesn't actually know Japanese.

Uznare posted:

Please do not mention those garbage rear end scans ever again. They are awful and should never be read even if the translation is better.

I disagree. The new translation is good and you should tell your friends and relatives about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Aurain posted:

Jotaro doesn't master Star Platinum until he's out of his coma. It loses all of its durability, changes appearance but gets a flat 5 second time stop. It's technically a different stand though if you want to nit pick it.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I still don't understand this.

"Durability" confuses a lot of people because it's a very ambiguous translation of 持続力, but I personally feel it would be more appropriate to call it something like "continuation" (the Jojo Project scans used this), or "duration". It states how long a stand or certain effects of a stand can remain active, so Durability A on original Star Platinum is a measure of how long Jotaro can keep Star Platinum out and punching stuff, while Durability E on Star Platinum - The World is a measure of how long Jotaro can use its effect to stop time (not very long).

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Aurora posted:

So, more accurately, that endpage is describing Star Platinum's "The World" ability, rather than describing the stand as a whole, leading to everyone becoming super confused about Star Platinum post Starudust Crusaders. Cool.

Yes, depending on how Araki is feeling at the time, a stand's durability can apply to either the stand as a whole or to just its "special effects". It's very confusing.
e: It's obviously not describing just the "The World" ability since the time stop itself obviously doesn't have any power or precision to speak of.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Aurora posted:

Also The World itself doesn't have an E for durability so I really don't think that it matches up with the idea that it's describing Star Platinum post Part 4 as a whole.

DIO could stop time for a lot longer than Jotaro could, and it's implied that if he managed to heal further, he'd eventually figure out how to stop time pretty much forever. Also, power seems to describe the physical strength a stand has rather than its ability to break stuff, hence why The Hand and Cream are rated as having B-level power despite theoretically being able to annihilate anything within their range. "Allowing the user to do a lot of poo poo" alone wouldn't warrant rank-A power and precision. I mean, indiscriminately stopping time for everything around you is the opposite of precise.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Aurora posted:

So you're saying that being able to stop time and throw a knife like Dio did to Joseph isn't powerful or precise? Okay...?

I mean you can kill literally anybody if you're not loving around. That's powerful.

That's exactly what I'm saying. The stats are saying that Star Platinum is powerful enough to bend the iron bars of a jail cell and precise enough to conduct brain surgery with mechanical precision, neither of which you can do with just time stop and not the physical capabilities of the stand itself. Now stop being dense.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Kabanaw posted:

'
I just checked again and it's at least how The Invincible Trio translated it :shrug:

The original Japanese is スタープラチナ ザ・ワールド, which is just "Star Platinum The World." At any rate, the idea that the stats page describes only the ability to stop time doesn't jive with the fact that the same stats page also describes Star Platinum The World as "An ability that that destroys objects with extreme precision. Its effective range falls within 2 meters"

On another note, I have a few questions any posters here who speak Italian or have friends, moms, or friends' moms who speak Italian. Soon the new Part 5 translation will be getting to the train fight (which really one of the best fights, by the way), in which the newly-introduced character Pesci constantly calls Prosciutto his aniki. While that's a complicated word to translate into English, it would also sound pretty silly to just keep it in Japanese and have an Italian mafia guy keep calling another dude Aniki, so I'd be grateful if I could get any answers to the following:

-Aniki literally means "older brother", but it can also be used to refer to a big brother figure who isn't necessarily biologically related to you, but is still so rad that you wish you could be like them. For instance, the three prime anikis of Jojo are Keicho, Hermes, and, of course, Prosciutto. Would it be appropriate to translate it as fratello?
-Assuming it is appropriate, Pesci refers to Prosciutto variously as "my aniki Prosciutto", "Prosciutto-aniki", and "Aniki". Is it okay to use phrases like "my fratello", "fratello Prosciutto", and to use "Fratello" as a term of address in place of someone's name, or does that sound weird and dumb?

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

Anybody know what font the people used for the old battle tendency scans is?

One of them is Wild Words, the rest I don't recognize.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Aurain posted:

Nah, he's called Kujo Josefumi. Someone in here said it's probable that it won't be romanised to Joseph though, so who knows what, if anyhing, he'll be called when translated.

My guess is that his name's gonna be romanized to Josefumi Kūjō/Kujo/Kuujou, since that's what his name is.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Best Girl posted:

Josefumi sounds a bit similar to Joseph which I think is Josefu in Japanese. I wonder if that means anything.

Not sure if this has been pointed out before but one thing to note about Josefumi's name is it's actually a fusion of 3 JoJos. His Kūjō is identical to Jōtarō's last name, the "Josefu" in his name is phonetically identical to Joseph, and the Jo in Josefumi is written with the same kanji as the Jō in part 4's Jōsuke

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Forktoss posted:

Hello JoJo thread, I just finished the anime a couple weeks ago and now I can't get enough of these big burly men punching and posing. I dipped my toes into Steel Ball Run a bit when the show was still going since that seemed like a fresh break and I didn't want to spoil the ending of Part 3 by going straight to 4, but when the anime ended I put that on halt and read all of Part 4 in two days or something because it was absolutely brilliant.

Now that I'm (steel) balls deep I suppose I might as well keep going straight onto 5 and on until I'm all caught up. I'd just like some clarification on which translation of Vento Aureo to read (and I'm sorry to bring this up again, but I read through the thread and am still a bit confused) - is the JoJo Project one the best one? I grabbed a PDF batch from somewhere to read on my phone and the translation quality has seemed alright to me so far, but I'm only about two volumes in. I think I'm going to go ahead with Part 5 regardless, but I'd just like some clarification on which scans to avoid and which to get.

Jojo Project are the good scans up until the point where they died. I can't make any objective claims about Jojo's Colored Project translations which come after that but some people don't like their typesetting or the colored scans in general. At any rate, they're less than 1/3 of the way through part 5 so far and then from that point on the only available translations are the old scans (unless you are multilingual) and those have the same problem as Invincible Trio except worse in that the translator isn't actually literate in Japanese and makes poo poo up constantly. As a result, pretty much nobody who read Part 5 in English likes or even understands what happened in it.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Aurain posted:

Their typesetting around the end of last/turn of the year has taken a turn for the worse, with them abusing gradient fills and specific fonts for characters. Giorno always speaks in some weird serif font and often has a black and gold gradient behind it.

What the gently caress, I never realized it had gotten that bad. I'll tell them to rein it in.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Deltasquid posted:

I wished all his jokes got some sort of explanation at the end of the chapter because either they're forced and weird or totally lost in translation. The one Diego makes sounds like it would've been amazing in a terrible way judging by the translator's note, but some are just left as this weird nonsensical translation and I always wonder what the Japanese pun was.

I vaguely recall this part making no sense at all in the translation, but Diego's jokes were actually a pair of really bad puns that go something like this in the original script:

Q: A pack of cougars and a pack of snakes were blocking the way. Which one do you think let me through?
A: It was the snakes moved out of the way for me. Hahahaha, get it?*
P.S. Oh, and then later, the cougars attacked us because they thought we were tasty.**

*TL Note: "A venomous snake" is dokuhebi in Japanese, while "A snake that moves out of the way" is "michi o doku hebi." Hilarious, right?
**TL Note: "Tasty" and "horse" are also sorta like homophones in Japanese.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Deltasquid posted:

It's Gyro's jokes that confuse me. Diego's one is the example I used of translator's notes explaining it well. Might be why I like Diego so much, his bad puns are right up my alley.

In Gyro's joke where he goes "let me through", he flashes 4-2-0 with his hands as he talks. This is because 4-2-0 can be read as "shi-tsu-rei", which is "excuse me" in Japanese. I don't think any of the others are supposed to be puns or anything, Gyro just has a weird sense of humor.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

He might just sincerely be an idiot. And for the record, PBM's Japanese seems to be just as lovely as their English, given that their staff will stubbornly defend their frequent translation errors when you point them out. I'd suggest tracking down Hobo-1's translations of the early chapters if you can. If I remember correctly, they aren't absolute garbage.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

ascalapha odorata posted:

It's Okuyasu's return. I'm just curious about a couple things, one thing in particular seems to mean two different things to me. The other differences don't actually change the meaning, it's just interpretation I imagine.

http://bato.to/read/_/248744/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-4-diamond-is-unbreakable_v46-47_ch428-439_by_tmnbe-scans/80
http://bato.to/read/_/262998/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-4-diamond-is-unbreakable_v46_ch435_by_the-invincible-trio/8

Okuyasu saying "Check it!" and "Gotcha!" with the former being something I like cuz he's said it a couple times before but the latter most likely being the more accurate representation given what's happening there. I guess I just prefer 'Check it!' for no valid reason but I'm 99.99% sure you'll say that it's supposed to be gotcha and clarity should win the day there.

The thing I'm most curious about is "hosed up, right" vs "it made me feel real alone."

Check it/Gotcha in the original Japanese script is ホレッ! which, as far as I know, is basically like something you grunt out while performing an action, so I think either line works here. I can't say I recall Okuyasu saying it incredibly often, but then again, I haven't really read Japanese JJBA in depth either.
hosed up, right/It made me feel real alone is とてもさびしい夢だったよ which has a literal meaning of something like "It was a dream that made me feel deep feelings of solitude." I'll let you decide which translation sounds better.
In some cases, there are major differences in dialogue because the Invincible Trio likes to play fast and loose with the script, which I suppose is a matter of personal translation philosophy. At the risk of sounding rude and arrogant, I think the other cases come from the fact that TIT just aren't that good at Japanese.

And for what it's worth, I think I'm a nitpicky rear end in a top hat too.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Some info about that scan from Steel Ball Jack
- It supposedly confirms that there may be more characters coming
- Doppio is playable separately from Diavolo
- Trish is voiced by Touyama Nao
- Story Mode has mini games.
- One of those mini games is poker vs Daniel J D'Arby.
- The other two are fighting Justice and collecting all of Harvest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkGnNvbJGsU

Unrelated, I just got this in the mail and I love it.

That scan doesn't say Doppio is playable separately. All it says is that Diavolo appears as Doppio during his entrance animation.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Who is working on the part 5 cleanup, and where can I find it?

All I can suggest is to follow the Vento Aureo page on batoto. I wouldn't know where to find actual downloads because I've never asked.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

In other news, a new chapter of Vento Aureo went up yesterday, so check it out here if you're into that.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

If you're not gonna translate stuff like "yare yare" or "muda" then why even add subs to it?
There's some questionable translations as well as phrasing that's not wrong but different from what most scans use (base world = fundamental world and Valentine's quote for instance) but nothing that affects it much. Maybe If I get the time I'll make some subs for some in game cutscenes. i will probably not have the time

That's what happens when you don't actually know Japanese and just let your Japanese/English dictionary do all the translating for you.

Shonengamez's translator always chooses weird phrasings. Like, he's obviously bilingual enough to translate but he's not a good translator because his English isn't always up to par, which I guess happens if you live in Japan* and speak Japanese primarily in your daily life.

* - Assumption

I don't think it's a coincidence that this guy's subs selectively ignore all grammar beyond what you see in your first 1-2 years of Japanese class. I'd be willing to bet my mom's soul that he doesn't speak Japanese on anywhere near a conversational level.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Personally, I'm hoping a proper translation will be done sometime before the Vento Aureo anime happens. On that matter, I hope everyone knows the re-translation project is still alive, and the end to the Grateful Dead fight which you can read here just came out a week or two ago. We've run into some delays, but we have translations up to the end of the White Album fight, and the next volume is already typeset and just waiting to be edited, lord knows how long that might take.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Personally, I think Baby Face is a decent fight. It never stood out to me before, but when I re-read it for the retranslation, I found out that it has a lot of things I like, including:
-Giorno turning a brooch into an eyeball and then stuffing it into his face.
-A piranha eating its way up a guy's arm and out his back
-Poop on the face.
-Giorno fusing a guy with a motorcycle and then making him explode.

Speaking of which, chapters 1 and 2 of Baby Face have just gone online here and here. I hope you guys enjoy it.
Preview:

Momomo posted:

I really want to see the new translation for that part. In the original he said it was because the water was already cold, and it would take longer to freeze... or something. I remember seeing a comparison that showed the dialogue for that section being nothing at all like the Japanese though, so I have to wonder if they didn't just make up that explaination.

The idea was that plunging into the canal would stall Ghiaccio long enough to allow Mista to swim to shore and escape. Water has a high specific heat and heat of fusion, which makes it relatively hard to cool or freeze. Giorno's plan does not work.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm...not really certain I understand. What are those things, and why would giorno think they would stop the guy who magically freezes stuff from magically freezing the water?

Specific heat is a measure of how much energy it takes to raise or lower the temperature of water, and heat of fusion is a measure of how much energy it takes to freeze or melt water. The fact that water takes so much energy to melt is the reason why you chill your drinks with ice cubes instead of keeping a handful of cold rocks in your freezer and reusing them between drinks. Giorno thinks this can at least keep Ghiaccio from freezing him and Mista instantly because people often accidentally assume stands have to work according to logic and the laws of physics (example: See the fight where Crusaders assumed Wheel of Fortune could not drive up cliffs and are surprised when it actually can).

Ed:

Brannock posted:

Freezing takes time and energy/effort. In Jojo, even for people with magical Stand powers, they generally hold fast to physics. It takes more effort for Magician's Red to melt steel than to burn wood. Things that have more whatever takes more time and/or effort to freeze. Salt water, in particular, takes more work to freeze than fresh water. If you live anywhere above the Mason/Dixon Line then you may have seen snow plows sprinkling salt on roads to help melt snow.

It was a fairly clever idea by Giorno, he just underestimated how powerful the Stand was.

I could check again but I don't think they mentioned saltwater at all in the original Japanese script. Was that some bullshit the Bad Translators pulled out of their asses again?

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 14, 2016

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Kakyoin insists there's no world inside the mirror, but there definitely is a world inside dreams, and it just so happens that everyone's dreams share the same world.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Nope and JoJolion's primary translator apparently said he's not interested in translating Rohan one shots for reasons I don't believe were expanded on (not that he has to, of course) so it's just a waiting game of if/when the more part-time JoJo translators decide to pick it up.I guess JJCA's crew are probably busy with Vento when their translators have time to do JoJo stuff.

Though I choose to believe "top kek!" is how Araki wrote it.

To tell the truth, translating is actually the easiest part of the scanlation process, so for a lot of the time I'm just sitting around and wondering when the rest of the guys will finish typesetting. I'm not going to make any rash promises, but if the existing translations are as bad as you suggest, then I could at least consider writing a translation of my own. I just find tracking down raws and typesetting to be a pain in the rear end.

I dislike Kakyoin. He's the Caesar of SDC.
I do like him when he's part of MILF jokes but only then.

Here's some maximum hype from the new JoJolion.
Spoilers so click at own cost.
http://i.imgur.com/WYisb0E.jpg
Scanlators got their copy in.

Did he just send loving Sheer Heart Attack into someone's bloodstream?

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 21, 2016

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

After opening the first page and seeing Rohan read the ingredients and expiry date of a chicken leg, I'm hooked. Thanks, and consider this to be on my list for now.

BaDandy posted:

EDIT: Anyways, I didn't see it on here yet, so here's up to Part 3 of Gold Experience Requiem. There's also this, which does a good job of demystifying Giorno's bad English translation and confirms for me that his little speeches are supposed to be similar to Jotaro's sick one liners, just...more "eloquent", I guess.

Oh man, I knew someone else was translating VA, but I hadn't read any of their stuff until very recently. I could write pages more if anyone really wanted to listen, but the short and sanitized version of my thoughts is, you should probably take anything they translate with a large grain of salt. And I'm not saying this just because I want them off my turf.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

BaDandy posted:

Yeah, I noticed there was a bit of a tone difference with some characters when I read the different versions of the first couple Baby Face chapters. Or maybe not tone, but word choice? Thanks for giving the heads up, though, what you're doing is God's gift.

GER and why it happens makes a ton of sense when you think about DIO's whole "muda muda" M.O. It isn't something he says for fun, but the short version is that Dio's main way of fighting you (if you aren't a Joestar) is to convince you to not fight him, like how it's useless to fight fate, which is what DIO represents.

GER is basically the logical conclusion of that and it's the number one indication that Giorno is DIO's son first, even if Giorno isn't fully aware of the extent of its power. With him, though, it's used more in a way that Jonathan or Jotaro would use it, while DIO would use it to throw his weight around. That's how I interpreted GER, anyway.

Plus King Crimson's tiny face goes flying off and it's really funny.

Amaryllis posted:

I am so hype for the new JJL!

If you're not uncomfortable talking about this on a more or less public forum, I'd be interested to read those "pages more." I had a look at those GER chapters and thought the phrasing was a little off in some panels--not translation-wise (because I can't judge against anything but the old crap scans and the French version which obviously takes some liberties for localization), but just as statements in what should be natural sounding English. I felt that way about some of the earlier stuff that person was posting, but tone is pretty hard to nail down and at least they're better than the old scans.

Anyway, Daxing Dan, you'd be my hero if you did take up those raws and give a proper translation! If I still had access to Photoshop I'd even offer to typeset it: I've done that kind of work before, and I've been holding off reading it till there's a version without meme garbage. But instead I'm just gonna wait for some kind person to come along and do it. e: gently caress it, if you're serious about translating it and can't find anyone else who's more qualified to do the cleanup/lettering, I'll do that part as a weekend[-ish] project. It actually looks pretty straightforward: not a lot of text outside speech balloons that would require a ton of cleaning. Honestly, half the reason why I hand-letter things of my own is that working with text in Manga Studio/CSP is a pain in the rear end.

Well, good news is someone from JJCA let me know he was more than happy to help with the typesetting. I've already written up a first-draft script and sent it in to him, so fingers crossed that we'll see results soon.

Now, I'd be happy to elaborate more on this translation talk, but I should mention that the views I express are solely my own, and I don't claim to speak for the JJCA team as a whole, or any of its members. Some of this may sound harsh, but I know from experience that sucking at translating is the first step to being kinda good at translating. If at some point in the future they get their act together, that's great news.

Anyway, as far as my assessment of DM's translation goes, I don't think their biggest issue is with tone or word choice, as you guys mentioned. But, English was always my worst subject, so maybe I'm not one to judge anyway. Rather, the issue to me seems to be that they have too much enthusiasm and not enough expertise. As such, their translation contains errors. Frequent errors, glaring errors, errors that betray a critical lack of understanding of the Japanese language, and errors that turn into significant rewrites of plot points. And all of this is done while they bill themselves as being "Better than the old translation." Well, to put it bluntly, that's true in the sense that I would rather eat a rat turd than a dog turd. But, given the option, I'd rather be eating no turds at all. Making matters worse, they have the production values to give off the outer appearance of a reputable, high-quality operation, and unless you actually know Japanese, you're gonna have a hard time figuring out that they're pulling their script out of their own rear end.

If we want to go through this point by point, we'll be here for a long time, so for now, I'll just offer a bit of analysis on some of my top picks. This might not make much sense if you never learned Japanese, so I'm sorry in advance if it goes over your heads.

Exhibit 1, from White Album, Part 4
DM Translation: If you use the same trick, you won't get through him again!
Mine: He won't be fooled twice by the same trick!
Japanese: やつには今との同じ手はもう通じません!(Yasu ni wa ima to no onaji te wa mou tsuujimasen!)
Commentary: This seems to be like someone is a bit too reliant on their dictionary. If you look up "tsuujimasen" in your Japanese-English dictionary, you'll find that two of its definitions would be the negative forms of "to pass" or "to go through". What your dictionary won't tell you is that it means that not in a literal, physical sense, but rather the figurative sense. You use the verb "tsuujimasen" in cases like "I tried to to discuss it with my boss, but he was so stubborn that I couldn't get through to him at all." "Tsuujimasen" can also mean "to be ineffective", which is the proper meaning here. I'm not going to deny that Rikaichan and the like are useful tools to have, but when you need to comprehend a word you don't know, you should really check with an actual Japanese dictionary. It really helps to read the definitions of words written in Japanese, and to see example sentences.

Exhibit 2, from White Album, Part 5
DM Translation: Those... 10 m-minutes would've been enough to hide it...
Mine: I had time... more than enough time to hide...
Japanese: 時間は・・・あった・・・ 身を隠す時間は十分にあった・・・ (Jikan wa... atta... Mi wo kakusu jikan wa juubun ni atta...)
Commentary: Here, they confuse "juubun" (sufficient) with "juppun" (ten minutes). Both are written with the same kanji (十分), but Jojo has furigana captioning so that's no excuse. Were they were in a rush and just skimmed over that line? Everyone makes little mistakes even when they know better, but when their mistakes are so frequent, I'm less willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. In context, "10 minutes" clearly doesn't make any sense anyway, since taking a bolt to the face put Ghiaccio out of action for maybe a few dozen seconds at most, not several minutes.

Exhibit 3, from White Album, Part 1
DM Translation: They say things like The Merchant of Venice, To See Venice and Die...
Mine: There's The Merchant of Venice, and Death in Venice...
Japanese: 「ベニスの商人」とか「ベニスに死す」とかよォー (Benisu no Shounin toka Benisu ni Shisu toka yo...)
Commentary: Relevant: Google search results for "Benisu ni Shisu" What the gently caress is "To See Venice and Die"? When it's in a list next to "The Merchant of Venice", why wouldn't you assume it might also be the title of something?

Exhibit 4, from Gold Experience Requiem, Part 2 (1, 2)
My translation (1,2)
Commentary: If you compare the two you'll find there's a huge discrepancy, especially when GER starts talking. It's all so wrong that it almost makes me question whether they actually had a translator working off the original script. It's almost as if they had no knowledge of Japanese grammar, and just threw the keywords into a machine translator and guessed how to arrange the output. Here, GER's spiel is butchered into something about how nobody can twist fate to change absolute truth or some garbage, when that is actually almost the exact opposite of what's going on.
As the actual script goes, Diavolo's predictions always show a perfectly accurate, truthful depiction of the future. He sees himself killing Giorno with KC, so Giorno is fated to die by Diavolo's hand, guaranteed. This is the "truth" that GER mentions, and he tells Diavolo that he will never be able to reach this "truth" and let it play out. So, in fact, it is Giorno himself who manages to violate fate and basically retcon his own death. Don't even get me started on how they turned "I shall not even give you the time to regret your own death" into "Once you're dead, you won't be able to regret your actions!"

I hope I'm not coming off as territorial grouch (but after writing so much on the subject, maybe that's wishful thinking). I mean, I'd be thrilled if I woke up tomorrow and five dozen groups all released excellent scanlations of Vento Aureo overnight, since that's great for the people who have been waiting years to read a proper translation of VA, and it's also great for me because I don't need to work anymore. But, for now, this is not one of those groups. In closing, I take bootleg comics translations extremely seriously.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Amaryllis posted:

I don't want this earlier post to get lost in the middle of update chat, so:

Fantastic! Was it Bracketier? I know he posted something a while ago about looking into getting someone to produce a better translation. You guys (and the rest of the team) did such good work on the coloured version of Part 4.

Jeez, okay, those translations sound pretty rough. Some of them, like the missed literary reference, are just little blips--I mean, not that it isn't a problem, but I'm sure most people will just skim over that kind of thing and assume they hadn't heard of whatever the reference is. But some of the errors in GER's speeches seem like they're just going to leave people still confused about what King Crimson and/or Gold Experience Requiem does. And looking at those examples especially, it also sounds like the tone/word choice stuff is partly coming out of the awkward translation decisions. (By the way, the examples did make sense to me, a non-Japanese-speaker.)

Yeah, that would be him. He dropped me a line when he heard I wanted to do a translation of the Rohan oneshot, so we decided to work together.

Anyway, back to the translations thing, I'll admit you're right that some of them are little issues. One or two isolated cases won't make or break a translation. But, perhaps the most telling error may be the one I kinda glossed over in last example, the one where Diavolo goes, "I won't even allow you the time to lament your own death." You can see they have they key words down, like death and regret/lament, and the "once you're dead" part is very similar to "time" in Japanese. The odd thing is that the grammar of the sentence isn't even particularly difficult. Adjectival phrases and giving/receiving verbs aren't uncommon by any stretch of the imagination, and they're taught in like the second year of Japanese classes. The fact that it completely flew past the translators shows that they don't really have the foundations of Japanese down, which is quite concerning. If you can't read the original text like a natural, that makes it harder to write a natural-sounding script, and that confusion is going to trickle down to the reader. So, you may be right that those phrasing problems come back to a common source.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

I remember almost nothing about Vento Aureo, actually.

I actually felt the exact same way until I started re-reading it for the new translation. But now, everything about Part 5 is great. Maybe people underestimate how much the current bad translation butchers things, but Part 5 is actually full of cool, badass, and memorable moments. Giorno gets the worst of it, since he's supposed to be this guy who can give a dramatic speech and kick rear end at the same time, but the western community seems to remember him mostly as the guy who magically knows the solution to everything, or the guy who takes a backseat to every other member of the Gang Stars.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

BaDandy posted:

I mean, so far, as the story progressed, Giorno noticing tiny little details and being able to deduce what was going on, or at least come to a logical conclusion, felt like it was supposed to be a source of group tension at first? Like in Soft Machine, when Abbacchio's incredulous about Giorno trying to figure things out and Buccellati's being like "shut the gently caress up and let him talk" probably made suspicion worse. Like, why is Buccellati so invested and trusting of this new guy, right? The turning point for Abbaccio is the Illuso fight, where Giorno slaps together a vaccine based on a guess, then from Grateful Dead onward people start seeing him as this canary in the coal mine because he notices things first, he never really "shuts off" (he wakes up from a nap and less than a minute later he's noticing things that are off at the beginning of Grateful Dead), and it doesn't hurt that he's incredibly well read. Giorno looks mildly uncomfortable and Fugo's immediately like "WHAT'S WRONG GIORNO, WHAT DO YOUR ELF EYES SEE" and I feel like this is supposed to be the buildup for everyone gaining trust in him as the leader. And it isn't as if other Joestars haven't done that kind of thinking and problem solving before (Joseph and Jotaro are pretty good examples) so I really don't get where the "he magically knows everything" complaint comes from because sssoooo did other Joestars? The building block of the entire series is using your intelligence and improvisation to defeat your enemies? I don't see any real difference except that Giorno might be more well read/academic about it, but Joseph was referencing The Art of War and poo poo, so :colbert:

I suppose in the bad translations, Giorno did come across more like a plot device than as the protagonist of the story. I hope people will rethink their position after reading the new translation, because Giorno gets a lot of time to shine in the two upcoming battles. He is definitely a cool dude.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

The new translation of Rohan Episode 7 has gone online. Cheers, mates.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

I really don't see what you're getting at. Mista's Stand is called Sex Pistols for a reason, and physically, it doesn't have the strength to do anything other than kick bullets around. Take the gun out of the equation and all they can really do is talk and look at things.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

I've been re-reading Vento Aureo, and I just realized something crazy. The entirety of Part 5, 17 volumes from start to finish, takes place over the course of just four days. Like, holy poo poo, the Gang Stars are fighting off 4-5 stands a day. Mista gets shot six times in one day, but after a few hours, there's no longer any visible consequences whatsoever, and that's before Giorno even levels up his Gold Experience.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

I guess it's just that every other part spanned at least a month, so there's implied downtime between fights, and I got to pretend that's long enough for Polnareff to heal from getting torn apart by Ebony Devil, and so on. That's what made it so jarring that there explicitly isn't any such downtime in Vento Aureo.

If we're listing our favorite small moments from Vento Aureo, I'd like to submit this page where Purple Haze punches Illuso in the face and it just falls off like a cheap mask. It's like Araki decided to take the level of violence that was previously limited only to final boss fights, and apply that to every single fight in Part 5. Such is the gang star life.

P.S. I quite liked the ending of Vento Aureo, but it really falls flat in the bad translations, as much as I hate having to say that about Part 5.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 17, 2016

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Moltrey posted:

Is there any easy way to download the good Part 5 translations past Volume 2? I swear they were up to The Sick rear end Train Fight and I had them downloaded at some point, but now seems like they've been obliterated from the internet, unless I'm just super stupid. I know Batoto has them, but I have no idea if you can download from Batoto super easily.

I don't think this is a :files: question, but again I could be real dumb so I'm sorry.

Everything before somewhere around the second half of Grateful Dead was typeset and edited back before I decided to get more involved in the process, and they're really quite bad in various ways, so we were fixing them up before the downloadable release, at my insistence. We were on track to be finished by now, but The Curse of Vento Aureo struck, and our editor's computer got cooked in a power surge or something. As far as I know, the hard drive hasn't been ruined just yet, but it's still up in the air right now. Anyway, sorry, but I'll try to remember to post the links here when it's finally done.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Regarding the Vento Aureo spoiler/plot hole, the answer is never explicitly stated, and there are multiple interpretations, so feel free to pick your favorite:

-Giorno isn't ready to awaken Gold Experience Requiem yet
At this point, Giorno only barely knows how to use his stand. Just as the stand arrow only awakens stands in those who are worthy, it only awakens requiems in stands that are worthy of it. It is only after the events of Part 5 that Giorno achieves enough mastery of the stand to the point that he can use a Requiem.

-Black Sabbath doesn't have a true arrow
You can see the arrow in its mouth is a bit less intricate than the one Polnareff carries. Perhaps Black Sabbath from the lighter only carries a copy of the arrow in Polpo's possession, or perhaps Polpo's arrow itself is a fake that doesn't have the ability to create requiem stands.

-Polpo's arrow is already a part of Black Sabbath
Once the arrow is removed from a stand, it returns to its non-requiem self. Since the arrow is already a part of Black Sabbath, Gold Experience can't absorb it to become GE Requiem.

-Araki forgot

Dragonatrix posted:

I think that the arrow that Polnareff had was a special arrow that was (one of?) the only one capable of making Requiem stands making it a weird niche case, rather than "any arrow can do this?" I think that what should have happened there is Gold Experience should've gained a new skill from Black Sabbath because that's what happened to Kira with a normal arrow at the end of Diamond is Unbreakable.

E; But even then, I'd be willing to give that a pass because even without any new tricks, Gold Experience is ridiculously powerful and didn't need any upgrades at that point to begin with.

If anything, the story seems to imply that any stand arrow can create requiems. Maybe Buccellati isn't an authoritative expert on the arrow, but he goes "Someone would have discovered the secret of the arrow[s] sooner or later" and Polnareff never corrects him on that.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Stallion Cabana posted:

I had figured it was simpler then that;

both Requiems we see are holding the arrow. When Kira's Stand is pierced, he gains new powers, which in Giorno's case may have resulted in his eventual change in powers or loss of his Reflection Ability. However, both Gold Experience Requiem and Silver Chariot Requiem are holding or a part of the arrow. The reason Gold Experience Requiem didn't emerge when stabbed is because he was just stabbed with it, instead of 'merging' with it. We never see Gold Experience after the Arrow falls out of his head, so it's entirely possible he actually transformed back.

Killer Queen is never hit with the arrow, only Kira is. Requiem stands are stated to have "dominion over souls" too, which doesn't exactly line up with Bite the Dust's power either.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 27, 2016

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Vento Aureo Chapter 504: Baby Face Part 5 just went online the other day, so check it out if you feel like it.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Apparently, in an interview for the guidebook for the Vento Aureo PS2 game, Araki says that Fugo's stand was the hardest for him to write about. I don't own that so I can't check for myself, though.
As for the reasons for Fugo leaving, I believe the most in-depth explanation Araki's written about would be the afterword of Volume 39 of the 2005 Shueisha Bunko edition. Thankfully, I found the text online, so here's a quick and messy translation:

In Parte 5, Vento Aureo, there was a segment that I was forced to cut. Or, rather, it was an episode that I was unable to draw. It was a plot point where either Mista, Narancia, Fugo, or Abbacchio would turn out to be a spy for The Boss, and they would betray Giorno and Buccellati. I tried to write the story thinking that Fugo would be the traitor, but I was completely unable to do so. It felt like the gloomy mood I was in at the time was turning my story gloomy too, and reluctance started to sprout up within me. And, when I thought about how Buccellati would react, I just felt so, so terrible for him. I was unable to comprehend the idea of being betrayed by a trusted ally, and it made me physically ill. You could tell off for not having courage as an author, but I just couldn't bring myself to draw it! And, it Giorno probably would have ended up shouldering the responsibility by executing Fugo. I thought that the young boys and girls reading my comic wouldn't take it well. So, Fugo parted with the team during the scene at the docks on San Giorgio Maggiore. I made him disappear. (Afterwards, in the novelization of Vento Aureo, I worked with the authors to write a side-story where Fugo secretly helps out from within the gang.) Finally, as the author, allow me to say one thing to the characters. "I'm truly thankful to you all. You are the golden wind that blows in hard times."

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 9, 2016

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Vento Aureo - Baby Face Part 6 just came out earlier today.
Yes, it's a piranha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

So, JJCA recently released three new chapters of Vento Aureo.

This time on Jojo:
Giorno pulls a classic prank

Buccellati reads a newspaper article about Mista and jumps immediately to some conclusions

Ghiaccio is angry about words

In the original script, Ghiaccio rants about a Japanese figure of speech which has the literal meaning of "digging up roots and leaves." So, if you were wondering what the afterword of Purple Haze Feedback was all about, there's your answer.