Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Once again us tit men are relegated to the back of the bus.

You had supremacy for the 20th and early 21st century. :dealwithit:

Two Finger posted:

on my 9th beer, probably have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Bruce Jenner is a pinup "girl" and ISIS has their own take on NPR.

We had a good run, c'mon end times. It is time. Time to shine.

I think that what gets lost in the discussion is the fact that a 65 year old choosing to go by "Caitlyn" is not the action of a mentally sound person.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
College performance art is the lowest form of art on the planet and I include mimes in that.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

But can it measure up to Ridley Scott's other recent efforts like Prometheus, Exodus, and Robin Hood?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mike-o posted:

I don't give a gently caress if someone wants to become a dude/chick. I just can't stand the special snowflake me me me I'm offended at everything attitude.

I don't give a gently caress if someone wants to become a dude/chick. I just can't stand it when the response to that is "THEY'RE NOT BECOMING ANYTHING THEY ALWAYS WERE SHITLORD"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Do I need to start asking first dates for their birth certificates? For gender reasons.

They're working on being able to change the gender listed on birth certificates. You'll never be safe unless you just accept that "unexpected package." Just like on a WESTPAC

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Can't knock up a chick who's already knocked up.

Plus you get to jizz on a small child.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Well you don't.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
So on topics that aren't related to giving some deployed Marine's kid a mushroom bruise in the soft spot...

Is it me or is Tanqueray marketed to black people? Like, I see Tanqueray billboards and it's always black people on them and the other day when I bought a handle (which I'm def. enjoying) the black clerk said "nice choice." So is it a specific marketing choice or do they do really localized marketing and I just have been living in majority black neighborhoods?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

holocaust bloopers posted:

I can answer this. First, what you're describing isn't marketing -- that's generally pitching a price or a deal. Tanqueray approached an ad agency asking for work to bolster sales/awareness/etc to a black demographic. The work then goes out out to a media agency who places it in specific areas, so yes, it is targeted by town, region, state, etc.

You very well may live in an area where there's a high population of black people, or simply just a region. It could also be a national campaign. The work also doubles for other audiences as well. I guarantee you there's a white person somewhere in the ad. Agencies will shoehorn a white guy in a black-targeted ad as a means to give white audiences "permission to buy."

That's a no poo poo real tactic. You'll very rarely see only one ethnic group in an ad, and only if the ad is extremely targeted towards that demographic.

I mean yeah, I have generally lived in majority black areas. I just haven't seen Tanqueray ads outside those areas so i wasn't sure what was going on.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Remember those dudes that got brown recluse bites in Iraq?

Imagine just scooping out grey dead flesh out of their legs/arms, a hole the size of your fist

still can't eat oatmeal to this day

Brown recluses aren't found in most of the U.S., they sure as poo poo aren't in Iraq. Dudes got bacterial infections or something.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

at the date posted:

This whole phenomenon of "accepting and loving yourself as you are" as an excuse to avoid change seems like a new thing. 10 or maybe 20 years ago, I can't imagine some dumb bitch saying things like this completely shamelessly:

1. goon: "Selling things is not an option because it pains me to give up possessions."

2. coworker: "Books are so boring!"

3. another really fat coworker: "I have such a sweet tooth, put a tub of chocolate ice cream in front of me and I'll eat the whole thing haha!"

4: same as #2: "I get soooooo drunk on the weekends but I drive anyway. I feel like if you're already a bad driver, being drunk will make you worse, but a good driver just becomes an OK driver."

I've heard all of these in the last week.

Convince 3. to go to parties with 2. and solve both problems at once, eventually.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

at the date posted:

dadmomchat

Older goon couple aspiring to parenthood with no savings asks BFC for financial advice. When told "you have to stop buying literally every piece of Star Wars merchandise in existence [not an exaggeration btw, this is the husband's stated goal]," futuremom says "that is not an option" like they were telling her to shoot her dog.

e: holy poo poo haha

I do not understand this thread. A couple is pulling in almost $100k a year, their house isn't extravagantly expensive, only one car, and they need financial advise for some reason?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

at the date posted:

The reason is that, at age 42, the husband is spending more of their income on toys, literal plastic toys for children, than any other category. And they eat out for every meal. To the point where absolutely nothing of an $8,000 paycheck is leftover each month. No retirement money, no savings of any kind except a nebulous and unspecified "trust" from the husband's parents.

Do you know how disgusted I'd be with myself if I had no retirement fund but at the same time I could feed, clothe, and house like an entire African village on what I spend on children's toys a month?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I feel like I should just find a good butcher and build a nice rapport. If that sort of thing still exists.

I worked for one in high school, was pretty awesome. He eventually retired and died and his apprentice opened a shop way in the sticks. :(

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ckwiesr posted:

The absolute worst is the ones who are the last of their friends to be single. Be weary goons.

It also sucks to be the last one without kids. It's like I'm feeling pressured to reproduce just so I fit in with my friends again.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

holocaust bloopers posted:

Not that Vasudus is wrong, but internship pay can vary. I've made anywhere from 10 bucks an hour to $250 a month plus show pay for internships at big name agencies or production companies.

My point being is any internship worth a poo poo, in my experience, pays. A paid internship means the work you're doing matters and the agency/company/firm has expectations of you. College credit is a given, too. The results show in your resume, and for hiring preferences down the road.

This is what I've seen doing advertising ones anyway. 10 an hour is standard.

This is true in a very real sense. People who did unpaid internships actually had less success finding work after graduation than people who did none.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

anyone got a recommendation for some good Adirondack-style chairs

new house has a massive front porch and i need to maximize my dad-lounging

Well if this is dad chat for dad lounging on your dad porch, it would definitely be most dad to make them yourself.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mike-o posted:

"Impurities"

I guess I'll add that to me "ignore this person" list with "toxins" and "chemicals"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Arishtat posted:

You ain't lying. When I got my fill of retardation it was possible to just leave post and be among normal people. Try that on a floating airfield in the middle of the Arabian Sea.

Like, you know it's not permanently there right? You couldn't just leave Kandahar or whatever and be among normal people while deployed either.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DownByTheWooter posted:

Don't act like y'all too good to put a towel down.

Thing about being married for a long time is that getting the towel, showering afterwards, washing the towel seems like too much effort so you just 69 and go to sleep.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DownByTheWooter posted:

Sup red wings bro

Menstrual cups are the best goddamn thing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

:mad: I was promised that "freebleeding" was a 4chan hoax like "bikini bridge"

e: nevermind, that image is the original that 4chan used to start the hoax

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Mister Roberts
Caine Mutiny

All you need to know about Naval officer life right there.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I read this pretty standard Duffelblog article
http://www.duffelblog.com/2015/06/dd214-cant-believe-douche-separate-three-ribbons/

quote:

A freshly-printed DD214 at Naval Base San Diego’s Personnel Support Department (PSD) is currently claiming to be “completely loving beside” itself, upon learning that the sailor it’s about to be signed by is going to leave active duty after having earned only three ribbons during his enlistment.

and then about died at the end

quote:

UPDATE: Since this story first appeared, the indignant DD214 has reportedly been begging to “just be set on loving fire” upon learning that Sandifur is actually receiving an early-out from his original enlistment end date, so as to use his Post-9/11 GI Bill to pursue an online poetry degree.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Booblord Zagats posted:

It was always going to be him or Mccain. And to be honest post 9-11 Mccain America could have been much, much worse

Not to get all D&D but how?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ded posted:

the only thing good about reddit is the homegroan in gonewild

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

my wife was running around on Thursday doing this. We had a ton of edges that need to get cut, so I grabbed a gas powered one.

Anyone know if the battery powered ones are ok? My mother was asking how much they were once I mentioned I bought one, but she'd do best with a non-gas powered one.

I've never used a battery powered one; I have a corded electric. Never going gas again. Getting those things started and keeping them running is no fun. Plus the weight, noise, and fumes.

And as far as power, there were times when I was using a gas one and still had to break out the

so yeah. No more two stroke BS.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i probably would've gone corded if the back of my yard wasn't 200 feet away from my back door

You need to trench and run conduit for some outlets then anyway for barbecues and so on.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

A mortar? Is there any firework that's LESS reliable?

I've had a roman candle backfire into my eye, a ball canister tip over and start shooting at the audience, bottle rockets go any which way, but I've never had a mortar problem.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mike-o posted:

I'm alright, just can't loving believe someone I knew was diddling kids, and potentially his own kids.

Were they kid teenagers or like 17 teenagers?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dead Reckoning posted:

Jesus loving christ, dude. Time and place.

Oh right. Dad chat thread not drunk chat thread.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dead Reckoning posted:

Mike-o just found out that one of his Iraq buddies killed himself, possibly because he was molesting his own daughters, so "well, were they almost 18, or was it somehow even worse?" is not an appropriate question for any thread. There's being edgy, and then there's being just plain insensitive.

Yeah, sorry about that. I guess I was still giggling about Top Gun Pedo in my head and glossed over the "this was someone's iraq buddy" part.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

http://youtu.be/CA4yuz8qgj4

Yo for real if you ain't seen this poo poo your missing some :lol:

:captainpop:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DownByTheWooter posted:

Currently crashing through the khanacademy pre-calc. I recognize all of these things as things I have seen before, but don't remember how to do any of it. I'm supposed to start earning a science degree next month what the heck have I gotten myself into lmao?

My class schedule is Calc I, Gen Chem and Intro Geology. Honestly, I'm interested in these things and looking forward to being a full-time student, but that doesn't stop the fear and loathing from creeping in someone hold me please

Calc I is easy if you go to class and do the homework. Chemistry is as easy or hard as the instructor is competent or incompetent.
Geology is awesome and ask me if you have any questions (I have an MS).

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DownByTheWooter posted:

Awesome, thank you for the offer, I definitely will.

I'm a Geological Science major, debating whether to cross over to Civil Engineering (with Geology as a minor [or double-major, but I don't think I have enough VA funny munny for that]), but I have never studied any math or science on a college level. I feel old and retarded dealing with this stuff, but I imagine this is a pretty common anxiety for veteran/returning/non-traditional university students

If you can get through the first year of math/science fine, go for civil engineering. A lot of firms used to hire geologists and engineers on staff but after the recession a lot of those geologist jobs got cut and the engineers got dual duty because they come out of school with more certs and so forth.
From a purely intellectual standpoint the science degree is better - more exploration, more experimentation, more "why things are" rather than engineering tables and design books. From an enjoyment perspective, geology class fieldwork is way more fun than engineering labs - taking a case of beer to the desert for a weekend is considered classwork. However from an employment perspective the engineering degree is more useful. I wanted to get into environmental and/or geotechnical consulting but as I said, those fields dried up in the recession for geologists more than engineers. I ended up teaching which is good because I find it a lot more fun and fulfilling than sitting in an office filling out survey forms and legal poo poo but still.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Willy Pete posted:

It's been a while for me too, but I'd go with the Tippmann 98 too. It's cheap and reliable, kind of like the AK-47 of paintball guns.

One pump - just the Tippmann.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

I binge-watched the X-Files a few months ago, actually right before all this comeback talk started. It holds up better than you'd expect...aside from enormous cell phones and computer monitors for the first year or two there's really not much to pull you out of the storytelling. One weird thing was how many of the guest stars are now household names, but back then they were just taking whatever work they could get. Almost every episode had someone who was a nobody at the time but is now famous.

Plus, you know. Gillian Anderson. :allears:

It kind of craps out as the fifth season wears on. Not that there aren't even some good 6th season episodes but the "mythology" just gets retarded.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Millennium had some pretty good episodes among the "yet another serial killer who is boring as poo poo" ones. Also the one where they decided nobody was watching and weren't going to get renewed anyway so they shot a psychedelic freakout backed by Patti Smith's "Horses". All ten minutes of the song which is pretty avante garde as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

oh yeah the "gently caress everything" episodes are rad as gently caress

The Jose Chung sequel and demon coffee shop episodes were gold too. On par with Postmodern Prometheus for "gently caress everything, we just gonna have fun"

• Locked thread