Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I can already see the ":qq: MAH FAMILY" stupid storyline from here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

< Rex :colbert:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Commissar Of Doom posted:

Rope Kid make a new fallout game plz

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I wonder how happy I will be skipping the first 2 months after release while the game is buggy as poo poo

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

T-72 posted:

The whole point of Fallout is campy 50s Americana in a post apocalyptic setting.

Have you played the first 2? Because this really only became the case in FO3

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

If I'm going to have to play a loving cryogenic MERICAN come back from before the bombs Im definitely going to be playing a flag wearing fatass neckbeard that kills anyone who tries to take mah guns or is Too Communist

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Sheen Sheen posted:

Nah, that was always the case.

What parts of FO1 and FO2, besides the intro songs, would you say are reminiscent of 1950's Americana? Because there's a whole lot more that aint.

Sheen Sheen posted:

Also, I'm sorry, but no one outside of Canada wants a Fallout game set there, not even the Fallout universe's annexed Canada can make Canada seem interesting. Have fun playing Fallout 4! :)

I can't say that I care where it's set

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

There's probably gonna be some huge reliance on Irish culture in this loving game, maybe a gang of leprechauns too

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

Might as well put this in here, Chris Avellone has left Obsidian to pursue new projects http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-09-chris-avellone-leaves-obsidian-entertainment

I wonder how this will affect Obsidian in the future if they ever do work on a new Fallout game.

less loving Lonesome Road type railroading

e: also less Dead Money which is too bad because DM is the best FNV DLC

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

so, fallout 3 dialogue then

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

did colin moriarty come on the same boat

no he came down from Boston, come on dude

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I wonder which color the filter on this one will be

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

None as they've clearly demonstrated and mentioned in interviews.

haha they specifically talked about the color filter (or lack of one) in an interview?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Anyone else run into a bug where all your ammo disappears?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Another bug I've run into:

planted a fuckload of Mutfruit at The Castle, which I now cannot select in workshop mode, and cannot assign settlers to either. Frustrating.

I was just thinking earlier that this Fallout is less buggy than the previous iterations but :lol: at that.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

size = number of placed objects.

the size bar isn't full yet, so I'm not sure how this helps me

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Is there anything craftable or buildable that really requires me to collect lots of ceramics? I mean I'm assuming it's good for some armors but there are just so many loving plates and coffee cups...

power-related stuff (poles/swtiches/etc)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Still dealing with the Mutfruit orchard I planted in The Castle not being interactable in workshop mode. Testing another such plantation at the nearby beach settlement, and that seems to be working - except for one plant; looks like it may be a bug that occurs if you plant them too close to eachother.

Is there any way in console for me to despawn particular objects?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Anyone else decide to horde all their power armor frames in one place where the Brotherhood couldn't get them? :tinfoil:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I built mine a 2 story metal shack at the RR to hide in

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

scavver 4 lyfe :colbert:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

sniping with .38 ammo (which I'm guessing you're still using at this point) isn't feasible. Get yourself a .308 pipe sniper stat

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

In unrelated news, I can't decide what to call this beauty. Not the best damage, but the amount of sustained fire I can throw at mid-range is fun as hell:

I'm leaning towards The Greater Good since using it is giving me flashbacks to playing Dawn Of War as the Tau.

Finding laser pistol and 10mm pistol versions of that was aaaaaawesome :getin:

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 20, 2015

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

so Home Plate can't be linked with a trade route?

Why the gently caress would I want to do anything there then?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Just wrapped up my first playthrough. Some random thoughts:

Bethesda still can't write very well but at least this is better than Skyrim

It is pathetically easy to level up, I think I was lvl 40 before the BoS showed up. No level cap was a surprise though, and I'm not certain it's a good one.

Ended up going with the railroad endgame though I can't say I liked any of the factions all that much. May just go minutemen next time.

(institute spoiler) stabbing Paul in the face was very cathartic after systematically undermining his organization a few times

Kind of wish the perks weren't so useless most of the time. Feels like you can get by very well with none of your SPECIAL stats over 4.

Went melee/sneak for this build and my god is it OP as gently caress.

Gonna miss my character though: badass takes no poo poo mom:

Courtenay Taylor really gave a drat good performance on a lot of the lines (minus the psycho lines unfortunately, Brian Delaney's loving KIIIILLL is just great)

gently caress. You. Kellogg. (I am gonna take a wear that sweet jacket though)

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 8, 2015

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

khy posted:

So for those who've completed FO4's main quest, would you say it's better or worse than FO3's epic struggle wherein everyone fights over who gets to be the person who actually turns on the purifier that every single faction wants to be turned on and is inexplicably fighting over who gets to press the buttons and do it.

sort of. It's difficult to gauge because while the factions will straight up tell you what they want done they don't really go into much depth as to why or how they're going to go about their goals. The writing is also frustratingly myopic sometimes in the sense that there ought to be a third solution to problems that are presented as binary, but the writers either couldn't or wouldn't accommodate it

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Further thoughts as they percolate:

I wish I could be a raider. I mean, I guess technically you can just go around killing people, but where's that sense of psycho community?

I've got a guilty pleasure in building houses in the sims games, so I liked settlement building, but man building walls for those stupid settlers is a waste of time and resources when they can't be assed to defend themselves if I don't show up to do it for them. What the gently caress's the point of building turrets if they don't do the exact same job when I'm not there as when I stare at them ripping the raiders to shreds?

stealing power armor frames from raiders is funny as hell

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Everyone's favorite home base? Mine's still the giant multi-story metal shed I built on top of the red rocket - no settlers allowed!

also am I the only one who down a mirelurk cake and some radx and took a suit of power armor into the crater left by the institute to see if anything was left?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

(institute spoilers) Father's motivations seem increasingly questionable as I think more about how the game progressed up to the point that you meet him. Perhaps it was intentional but he comes across as significantly broken, less human than the synths. He wants you to take over, but also he didn't seem all that interested in you until recently (perhaps explained by his dying), but not interested enough to actually go and get you or even do anything to ensure your survival, given that he wasn't at all sure you would make it.

A very disjointed and badly written character.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

He says that a baby would be the easiest to work with since they can raise them in the Institute and not have to readjust them from pre-war life. Makes sense. What doesn't make sense is why they shoot your spouse instead of just saying "hey lets go to a completely safe place where your son can be raised in total safety". There's zero reason for Kellog to shoot them other than ~drama~.

better kill almost everyone else in the other pods here too, just to be safe (Not Kellogg's fault I guess since it was just his orders)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

khy posted:

So why can't I play New Vegas as a guy who wants to leave Benny alone? Why do I HAVE to find some guy that shot me? I mean, if he wants the chip that badly, let him have it. It was only worth 250 caps to deliver the drat thing. The guy already shot me in the head once, why the hell do I HAVE to chase him down? Why can't I tell him "Just take the chip, I don't care. Here, a package from NCR Outpost bravo. Sign for it and I'm gone."

I'm fairly certain that with the NCR storyline you don't ever have to even talk to Benny, nevermind track him down

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

NV: Oh poo poo, dude, you almost got murdered. You need to get to New Vegas RIGHT now to find that guy, he has a chip or something! GO!

FO4: They just murdered my wife/husband and took my son. Oh well, [roleplay]I regretted having a kid anyway and felt trapped in that marriage. Oh wow, a wasteland, now i can be the biggest sociopath I ever wanted. Perhaps I'll go look for my son anyway[/roleplay].

Wow, look how I totally turned that around. If you just use your imagination to change the story a bit, you can be whatever the gently caress you want and not poo poo up a thread for pages and pages whining about backstory.

None of the available dialogue (you know, the things your character has to say to others) really allows for this interpretation. Unless you just kill everyone you meet rather than talking to them and somehow ignore how you've interacted with your spouse prior to the apocalypse.

Of course I now start my new playthroughs from the save-game I left right before leaving the vault so I can ignore all the start-up nonsense (same for FO3, gently caress childhood time w/ daddy issues), but man I would like if you could actually go join a raider gang or some such.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Really though I think the substantive difference between motivations for main characters between New Vegas and FO4 is that in the former you can get that <plot device> out of the way pretty much immediately and then go on and do whatever you want. In FO4 it is quite literally the entirety of the main plot for about 90% of that particular plot thread, by which point you have also likely seen a fair amount of the rest of the game world with that <plot device> as your continuing underlying motivation - whether you want to ignore it OOC or not.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is this a complaint from a generation that only played minecraft before? How freeform are you expecting games to even be?

Personally I'd be just chuffed if facial hair and scars were generated in-game without my having to magically apply them at the barber shop/surgeon

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

you have the breadth of incriminating information when you arrive at the institute and your character doesn't even call out their lovely kid out on it nor can they tell a bunch of people that should know like piper and nick

What bothered me the most about meeting your son is how limp-wristed your admonishments of his behavior, few that they are, can be. The organization you are running is engaging in: contract killings, slavery, the systemic undermining of any attempts at self-organization by the land above-ground, and completely pointless involuntary human experimentation, so you can, what, grow more food paste and build bigger reactors and a larger servant caste?

and the best your character has to say to them beyond ':qq: You're Lying!' is a later line up on the roof of the CIT ruins about how everything in the world is science to him :effort: yeah that's going to really sway the career myopic undeground institute raised scientist.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Fereydun posted:

that's why you hang out with boone instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QziZ4LjJalk

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Thumbs down you son of a bitch

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, to me he's just "sad man in the funny hat who walks around Sanctuary".

There's a ghoul lady in my Sanctuary who was wearing cage armor and a yellow rain hat when she showed up, I gave her a job as my weapons merchant and I like her more than I could ever like Preston. She has way more personality to me than Preston, despite the fact that her personality is just "generic ghoul settler lady".

kill her and make Preston wear her clothes

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

yeah but the Brotherhood totally kills Synths/Ghouls/Super Mutants on sight

*does nothing when the PC shows up with Strong, Nick, or Hancock*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Valentin posted:

So is there ever any reason to take light/ultralight over pocketed/deep-pocketed? I haven't checked them for every piece of armor but it seems like the +5/10 in capacity you get from the pockets are almost always greater than whatever you lose in weight from making the pieces lighter.

Also, do the lights on the laser sniper barrel actually mean anything?

extra AP and maybe it affects stealth?

• Locked thread