Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

:o :0 :O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Lotish posted:

all white people look alike

agreed

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

Personally, I think it looks fine. Not good but not to a point where I would call it bad.

it looks barely better than skyrim did in 2011

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Anime Curator posted:

I'm okay with that. Skyrim looked/s amazing.

skyrim with mods can look pretty as heck. but vanilla skyrim is pretty eh by todays standards atleast.

in a world where the witcher 3 exists and looks super good and is open world, a game released later this year/next year and looks like slightly better skyrim will just look super bad in comparison.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Were titties bigger in the '50s, and related, does radiation make titties bigger?

snakes now have titties

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

im being down on the game now but its not going to stop me from buying it day one and playing it because im a big loving idiot.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah FO3 starts in 2077 while NV starts in 2081

I imagine FO4 begins in like 2088 and hopefully FNV2 is like 2092

Its kind of surprising that in the Pitt that Pittsburgh didn't really get nuked to oblivion considering it strategic industrial value.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

mackintosh posted:

Fallout 3 wasn't initially a Steam title. A lot of people bought it retail and via GFWL.

i bought fo3 when it came out on steam. still used gfwl tho.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

This game is gonna suck but I'm still gonna buy it, all the DLC, and then spend 300+ hours on it because I am a pathetic and depraved human being.

same

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Justin Godscock posted:

This is actually a lot more civil than when Fallout 3 was announced and everyone was bitching about "IT'S OBLIVION WITH GUNS AND YOU CAN'T KILL CHILDREN!".

gently caress the goons from 07-09 that Helldump purged.

idgi this is just skyrim with guns though????

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Bethesda will do to New Vegas exactly what they did to Fallout 1 and 2: Remove anything that doesn't belong in a modern Fallout game.

like good story telling?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

[Intelligence] So you're saying Bethesda doesn't have good writers?

I'm looking for my Good Writer. Middle-aged guy. Maybe you've seen him?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Whatever you define as 'Good Story Telling', it sure as hell didn't make New Vegas better than 3. Sympathetic but mundane good guys (NCR), unsympathetically evil guys (Cesar) fighting over a low-scale/low-impact thing (Hoover Dam). Yawn.

Compare to walking behind a giant gunmetal Optimus Prime, shouting anti-communist slogans, throwing nukes like a football, against remnants of the US Government, in order to purify the water for the entire east coast of the setting. loving awesome.

i dont know man, seeing a bomber fly in and do a bombing run on the legion was alot cooler than slowly walking behind a invincible robot repeating the same 4 lines over and over. and then dying because your super mutant decides that "ITS YOUR DESTINY TO DIE!"

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Dr. Carwash posted:

DLC changed it so you could just ask the mutant to go in and flip the lever.

and then ron perlman calls you a coward

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

also the ending for fo3 broke literally 6 times for me when i first played through it. i had to restart the whole liberty prime section 6 loving times because for some reason he decided to wander into the ocean, or fall into the earth, or just plain stop in the streets and never loving move while yelling about commies. gently caress liberty prime.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Not sure what system to pick fallout 4 up for if i get it. PC or ps4. pc has mods and my computer can run it, but it will probaly be buggy as poo poo, and i hate tinkering around in mod menues and game crashs. So maybe ps4. Idk.

dont buy a bethesda gamebyro game on a sony console. dont buy a bethesda gamebyro game on a sony console

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

oh boy

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

FYI there is nothing new about this at all. Many cross platform titles have been pricing PC $10 lower than consoles for years.

look at the release date ;)

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Eonwe posted:

i think every non stupid country does DD/MM/YYYY

im more pointing out that websites are saying its being released on October 23, not commenting on how other countries organize their dates.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

New Vegas goes even farther; hard light holograms and it had the world five seconds from post-scarcity before it exploded, among other things.

the world was almost past post scarcity since fo2, where you can find a note mentioning how fusion power was found just a year or so before the great war, but not soon enough for oil to still not be super important in manufactoring/fuel production.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

^^^^ fo2 gives you a pretty good idea of how it happened. the world found what was most likely the last oil batch in the ocean between china and alaska, and a big rush to be the first nation to build an oil well began. china was set up to finish first, when an "accident" happened to their well, letting the u.s finish theirs first. china accused the u.s of sabotaging their well(which probably happened!) and invaded alaska. the u.s beat them back, and invaded china, basically curb stomping them because of the oil they got from the well letting them actually use armor and the like. once they got close to taking chinas capital, thats when nukes probably starting flying.

MisterBibs posted:

^ Eh I've never been a fan of the mastermindy "We intentionally caused the Great War" theories. It's much more human if you have these two big monolithic groups that in trying to create a peace for themselves, wound up causing the largest war/extinction event in history.

With regards to the post-scarcity chat, I always mentally rationalized the Think Tank/Chits-To-Stuff technology as being worked on before/during the Great War in fringe locations that weathered the disaster more. That stuff came about after the Great War wiped everyone else out but didn't wipe them out.

What's odd is that I like the idea that poo poo was getting worse before the Great War lit up, I'm also open to the idea posited in that casting sheet: that there was a bit of a Golden Age where poo poo was on the uptick before things crashed hard. Not sure how I can mentally reconcile that (maybe most American citizens didn't realize how hot things were becoming?), but there you go.

things were still pretty lovely for pre-war americans at the time, but it was still marginally better than the rest of the world. most cars and the like probably didn't run on fission cells, just some very expensive outliers like the highwayman, and the u.s was basically a fascist state before the end of the world actually happened, what with them corralling dissenters into big mt and the like. also cant forget that they forcefully annexed canada, and the intro movie literally showing soldiers killing tied up pows.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 4, 2015

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

That's what I'm saying. The literature tells us how lovely things were getting in the macro scale, but I'm curious if that shittiness is going to be depicted in the micro before-our-hero-is-frozen bits. I think it'd be powerful if that little bit of time (assuming the theories are true) didn't look at all lovely.

it would be pretty disappointing if they try to portray pre-war life as completely idyllic. if they made it off and uncomfortable, like people trying to act like everythings perfect while national guard and the like wandered the streets would be p. cool imo.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Why? Bit of a digression from the topic, but we've already seen Everything Is Horrible dystopias and Everyone Is Too Scared To Admit It's Horrible dystopias. Painting them as more idyllic would be more interesting: Why does almost everyone in the Fallout universe, from Vault Dwellers to Hardened Wastelanders, venerate Pre-War society? Because despite all the historical records painting poo poo as really horrible, it was actually pretty nice. It'd be the most dangerous dystopia: one that makes you want to be in it.

yeah, compared to the wasteland, a fascist state that atleast has running water and power would seem idyllic in comparison. but it was still a fascist state where dissenters and chinese citizens were sent to camps where they were experimented on. where soldiers killing bound pow's were venerated on tv. if they make it totally idyllic and everyone happy that would be a huge departure from what we know. also most wastelanders most likely don't know poo poo about the history of the u.s leading to the great war, what with school systems teaching pre-war history probably isn't a high priority when they could learn more practical things(and that most history books still around were probably written by a fascist state). vaulters were probably educated believing everything was peachy keen in the good 'ol u.s of a, what with the education system being made by vault-tec.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i hated exploring the dc ruins. oh boy more invisible walls better go back into the lovely subways.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Sharzak posted:

new vegas was better written and fo3 was more fun
there, everybody's happy

but what if... new vegas was better written and more fun to play???????

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i hope dt makes a comeback.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

khy posted:

Does New Vegas ever have anything on par with the Dunwich Building in FO3? God that was good.

the vaults are pretty good in that regard

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

its been a while since ive played fo3 but the only song i remember from it are the one about the congo and the one about a dude who liked to gently caress. of course the only songs i remember from nv are johnny guitar, big iron and lonestar.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Sankis posted:

Wasn't there some bad blood between Obsidian and Bethesda in regard to payment following the release of New Vegas? Unless I'm completely wrong (and I hope I am) I can't imagine Obsidian signing up for that again.

i remember reading something saying that obsidian and bethesda parted on good terms. i honestly wouldn't be too shocked if a spin off game gets announced a year after fo4 is released.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

it wasnt royalties it was a cash bonus. still sucks but gently caress guys.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

im not a fan of the assault rifle design also.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

^^^lol at someone preferring the % chance speech checks. "uh oh looks like i failed on a 75% chance better reload." or lets be honest "30% chance of passing speech check, time to cheese the game over and over."

Cojawfee posted:

Did Fallout 3 have a guaranteed pass if you were above the skill level for the skill check? I don't think I ever passed one of those because I was stupid with how I used my skills.

for some of them, but i think the skill check for president eden or that colonel had like a 60% chance to succeed at max speech.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 9, 2015

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Nevets posted:

Is there any Fallout lore about what happened to Europe? I have to imagine that either the Fallout version of the EU picks a side and gets flattened, or individual countries pick sides and flatten each other, or Europe stays out of it and when things turn to poo poo everywhere else Africa and/or Russia invade to try and get some of that sweet, sweet socialized healthcare. Then Europe has to resort to a scorched earth policy of pulling back from threatened areas and nuking them to stem the tide of invadigrants.

europe and the middle east nuked each other into nuclear shitholes before the great war happened.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

New Leaf posted:

How did the dude in Megaton still have a British accent if there was no more Britain?

same way how tenpenny sailed across the sea i guess?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Bholder posted:

He already made his own "Fallout" game that nobody liked

?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's not, as was said when FO3 came out it wasn't a Steam game. So it could have a zillion times more people playing it, they wouldn't show up on a list.

e: That being said, I'd bet on NV having a stronger presence over time. There's just no way to reliably test it.

fo3 had gfwl but you could buy it day one from steam. i bet the majority of people buying it on pc was from steam. i have no idea where this idea that fo3 wasn't a steam game came from.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

have we seen a shotgun yet?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

but seriously, has there been a picture of a shotgun yet? i wanna know if its a cool sawn off or what.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

frajaq posted:

I think I saw one used to shot a raider in the face, gonna look at the trailers again. Think it was your standard double barrel shotgun

e: here

aw yea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Bholder posted:

A single wooden door between a bunch of ruined buildings there aren't even any people nearby but you can hear them in the background

2 entrances with walls and small farms with guards around them, truly the hardest to spot area of the game.

• Locked thread