Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ThePutty posted:

can someone tell me what the point of the settlement customisation stuff is? is it just going to be a place where you can buy poo poo from vendors and absolutely nothing else happens of importance, or will it actually effect poo poo in the wasteland? it's kind of like yeah, that's cool and all but i really don't see a point in actually going to the effort of making a big clubhouse that raiders attack every 3 ingame days

It will probably a pointless minigame as strongholds usually are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Flaky posted:

Moira was loving great I don't see the problem

How to romance Moira. Please tell, how she become my girlfriend?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I want to play a character other than Witty Competent White Warrior so the lame generic protag voices interrupting me all the time is gonna be a real pain in the rear end

Really tired of being witty & competent. Why can't I play as the repulsive loser that I am?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's exactly what I thought. Hell, I'm thinking it right now.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My wife is dead, it's time to move on. Point me to the nearest ghoul prostitute, please.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I wrote all of Taylor Swift's songs. She just changes some of the words.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can't imagine playing any game on a console. I've never owned a console. I barely understand consoles as a concept.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Or that quest where they want you to become a cannibal.

Skyrim was so loving bad at this, just give me failstates for quests I don't want. If Todd Howard is reading this, I hope he's taking note.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can't believe that the voice actor in my game has a generic North American accent, Turd Howard has done it again.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

I liked the Legion. Mostly I enjoyed killing them.

The Legion...*pauses, leans forward* is actually really good.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Theta Zero posted:

Was there ever an RPG where the random populous initially look down on you early on and then treat you like the freakish muscular meat pile you are late game?

Skyrim mixes things up by having everyone treat you like poo poo even after you become the head of every major organisation that exists.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cameron posted:

Goons complaining or being skeptical about this game just solidifies that it's gonna be GOTY material and universally acclaimed

It's true that goons hate successful games. On the other hand, they also hate unsuccessful games. So I don't know about this.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

I'm just upset that Bethesda didn't consult the Games forum when they where designing this game. Rope Kid understood what a pillar of the community SA is and rightfully consulted us during the design process of New Vegas. We could have pointed out all of these problems much earlier.

I'm Todd Howard and I've taken note of the repeated demands for a jive-talking demigender protagonist.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've never read a Lovecraft story but I don't get the impression they're supposed to be funny

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I'd mostly like a lovecraft bit because:

1. Fallout is a great setting for it, you can have any amount of weird poo poo and it fits.
2. Fallout has gattling laser guns, so you can subvert the old trope of only being able to run away from the monsters.
3. It's an excuse to put really powerful enemies in that can challenge a guy in power armor with a minigun.
4. Lovecraft works well with a videogame format, because his stories are all about some weedy guy blundering into something that he doesn't understand and isn't explained, it is really well suited to showing not telling and you don't have to understand what's happening really. Just make a creepy and dangerous environment which fucks with you a bunch.
5. Excuse to have really cool setpieces and environments that are a break from the normal fallout fayre.

Seriously I want to shoot a mi-go in the dick, let me do that todd howard.

Being faced with an unspeakable, incomprehensible, dreamlike force of evil would be interesting for a video game, I just don't know if it really fits the Fallout universe, which is more about surviving in a harsh man-made post-apocalyptic.environment. Even for the most ridiculous, unrealistic things they try to come up with a sciency explanation like FEV.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hihohe posted:

I will react when this game comes out.

*throngs of reporters crowding around me, pushing microphones into my face to know my opinion of Fallout 4*

No comment.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fallout 2 is from motherfucking 1998. poo poo. I wasn't even retired yet back then.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Most people in the West had computers in 1998. Internet, yeah, that wasn't universal yet.

1998 actually is not all that long ago. It's the same year Baldur's Gate was released.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Populous: The Beginning was released in 1998. Game kicks rear end.

I think late nineties you're entering the modern age, with quite a lot of games that hold up decently even today.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I hope Deckard and Roy are some of the names Bethesda recorded for your robo-butler. Just for maximum originality.

I want them to pronounce my name with the proper Flemish accent, right down to the city. I'm sick of the rampant and problematic Americentrism in video games.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

How to romance Moira. I've try every dialog but no sex scene?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I am an expert in gunnery and I'm here to tell you that that is NOT a realistic gun. For starters, um, the trigger is all wrong. Wrong position. In real life you would get carpal tunnel syndrome after firing that 'gun' (and I use the term loosely) for a few hours. Also, the color. The color is...bad.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

But that also got me thinking, what if you didn't run to the Vault and get lowered to safety with your dead family? What if, instead, while you were busy running around collecting your kid you tripped and landed in the refrigerator you left wide open like a dick earlier that morning. You were then knocked out and frozen solid until the fridge's power source failed two centuries later. At some point during that time though an expedition sent out to look at conditions above came across you and dragged your sorry frozen rear end back for examination. I think Bethesda should go with that story.

A fridge is not the same as a freezer. Otherwise flawless plot hook, 9/10

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I want games to start including high detail feet and describing my partner's odors.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You can try to kill me, but I'll just lie on the floor unconscious for the duration of the fight. This is my strategy in real life as well.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Your quest is to find a husband, then when you find one the rest of the game takes place in your house, and your quests are "wash the floor" "cook food" etc.

The twist is, the game is actually much more fulfilling and satisfying than if you play an adventurer.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm on the Institute's side. Ain't no way I'm losing sleep over robot rights.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Making them humanlike is stupid, because then people might mistakenly think they have feelings, or deserve rights or respect.

Agreed - however, on the other hand, that also means you can have sex with them. It's a double-edged sword. I hope the game will explore this moral ambiguity.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ED-E is alright. But these C-3PO-looking motherfuckers? Bitch please.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Machines are not people and do not have free will. If this game doesn't let me side against the robots I'll be very mad.

I bet it's possible but it will be the evil choice because the Institute harvests baby souls to further their research or some poo poo.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fooz posted:

It's tough to rule out machines being capable of free will, especially in fiction. You can't really even prove that people do.

Did Asimov put you up to this? If I ever meet him in real life...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Robots are our friends who use lasers to subdue our enemies.

One day perhaps I could learn to respect a robot...maybe even love them. But today is not that day.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

frajaq posted:

Oh? That's nice to hear, I tried Wasteland 2 out but couldn't get past the first screens because it was obtuse and looked really boring/confusing, specially regarding skills

I tried playing Wasteland 2 and gave up when the character creation screen asked me to choose a million different stats for six characters. And with the preset characters as well, I had no idea what's important or how the skills work. It was just daunting.

I've been reading that the combat is slow and clunky as hell, so maybe I dodged a bullet.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

In Skyrim the guilds are meaningless in terms of playstyle. Any character can complete any guild questline and become its leader without much effort. Really, guilds seem like something that should be phased out in subsequent games.

The guilds are good, they just need to be written less retardedly. Looking at you, Thieves' Guild.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Filthy Casual posted:

The whole Gallus/Mercer/Karliah thing was hella dumb, but I hope a lot of other Thieves' Guild stuff remains/gets improved. The jobs were pretty fun, and the reward of being able to bribe your way out of getting caught murdering someone in a major city is cool. Also their training room actually had things that would increase a skill, instead of target dummies just for show.

What I disliked most of all besides the nonsensical plot was that they kept talking poo poo to my face even after I became Guild Master. The flavor lines in particular didn't seem to change at all, so they would still start insulting you as soon as you stepped into the room.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vengarr posted:

The reception among gamers for NV was far more positive than for Oblivion with Guns Fallout 3, and I just get the sense that it really irked them. I dunno.

If by gamers you mean goons. I don't think it's necessarily universally the case that people prefer New Vegas.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Maybe what separates me from Joe Average Fallout Player is that I haven't owned any X Boxes or Playstations since 2, and can only fathom playing these games on a PC, with WASD. I don't think that makes me a "sperg" though.

Oh yeah? Well, I haven't owned a console ever. So you're still not as cool as me.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hey, I'm happy for you if consuming gives meaning to your existence. *thoughtfully stares into the distance like some french intellectual human being*

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's really dumb and pointless but this is the site where other goons spent thousands of dollars on Star Citizen, so it kind of pales in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bholder posted:

there are two kinds of games: The beautiful, perfect, intelligent, rich, complex and rewarding Role Playing Games and the Mindless, cheap, shallow, shiny shooting games made for 14 year olds.

Agreed.

But if you're going to be an FPS, the shooting mechanics should be good and not poo poo.

• Locked thread