Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
My opinion on DLCs:

the almost required:

- Sword of Islam
- Old Gods
- Legacy of Rome
- Way of Life

the cool:

- Republic
- Charlemagne
- Sons of Abraham

the useless:

- Rajas of India
- Sunset Invasion (its pretty fun, though)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eric the Mauve posted:

Custom titles are the only significant thing Charlemagne adds. (there's also viceroyalties, which some people like but I don't; an earlier start date that IMO sucks; and a bunch of scripted Charlemagne events :toot:)

You must have The Old Gods, Legacy of Rome and Way of Life. Everything else is "if this looks interesting to you." (You need The Republic to play republics, you need Sword of Islam to play Muslims, you need Sons of Abraham to play Jews. These DLCs add nothing significant to the game besides unlocking new playables.)

Rajas of India wouldn't be worthwhile if Paradox paid you :10bux: to install it.

Sons of Abraham also adds a bunch of events and decisions that makes the game more fun for christians and muslims. And playing muslims is a blast, so I will always count SoI among the required DLCs.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

chippocrates posted:

I'm guessing it's because (from what I've seen of LPs) Indian rulers don't differ from Catholic feudal rulers as much as muslims/republics/pagans do. India doesn't interact with the original game world that much in my experience - the only thing I've seen is Hinduism spread into the Steppes/Persia in an Old Gods Byzantine start where I smashed the Caliphate with holy wars (and therefore tanking Sunni MA).

Is like playing a lesser version of christianism with additional limitations (the caste system) shoehorned in. India games are always slow as gently caress and nothing interesting happens.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Oh boy Im getting really hyped about this expansion.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is basically the most you can do 95% of the time. Battles in CKII generally boil down to "more mans = win", with maybe terrain factors giving one side an edge if they're closely matched. You have very little control over your levy composition, especially when you call up vassal levies (which will be the bulk of your army in any large realm), so you can't really do much in the way of fine-tuning your army aside from assigning commanders with high martial skill.

The battles themselves are kind of complex but you don't really have any control over how they actually play out - tactics can potentially make a huge difference but in practice tend to cancel themselves out unless you specifically stack an army with retinues and a commander to take advantage of a particular cultural tactic. If you're interested you can read the wiki page on tactics, but honestly that information is far from necessary to do well in the game. At most what you can take away from it is that you really want to avoid using commanders with martial below 7, and traits like lisp, stutter, and craven are also bad (all stuff you could probably have guessed yourself anyway).

Ive been playing this game for hundreds of hours and Ive never cared about fine tuning my armies. I will usually merge it all in 2/3 big stacks and just put good commanders on each of then, never even looking at their composition. And 90% of the times, more men = victory anyway.

My most elaborate war strategy is to leave a smaller stack in a province with one or two bigger stacks in adjacent provinces. The AI is dumb and will strike at the smaller stack with all they got, and then I send the bigger ones in and win. It always works.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 17, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I wonder if it will be possible to play as a Raiding Adventurer? Sounds like a very awesome way to start a game.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Fuligin posted:

I assume it will be possible using the console, the same way you can turn yourself into a rebel or adventurer already, but I doubt very much it'll be possible to start landless normally.

Well, I hope they do.

How cool it would be to be able to start as the chief of nomad landless band of warriors and work your way up to huge empire blob?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Clanpot Shake posted:

I've gotten this event too and want to know the odds on your steward being wrong about the architect (going either way). I think I've gotten a castle from a guy my steward said was a conman, but I'm not 100% sure.

Never happened to me. What oftenhappens is that you get a 100g refund after the castle is built.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Groogy posted:

Actually we have a beta who can manage to conquer the entire world in like a couple of years. 3-8 years or something depending on the Rng.

I would like to see a video of this, please

Ive done "almost world conquer" (almost because when you are stronger then everybody by a large margin it becomes too boring and I drop) several times, but never in less then 200-300 years (never used "NK mode" either).

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Hm, I wonder what happens after someone is banished. If the leader who banished them is overthrown, could they possibly return? Will they be able to try to raise armies to reclaim the lost lands? It seems like it might be interesting.

That already happens, if Im not mistaken. Im pretty sure I had some banished kinsman return as adventurers.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The only cheating I do is to use the console to give kingdom titles to vassal republics and theocracies because I dont think it makes any sense that we cant do it :colbert:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Back To 99 posted:

HIP has a lot of problems, but it has so much more content than boring vanilla that you're the dumb one for not playing it.

Ive tried HIP and I prefer vanilla always.

I would love to have more events and ambitions in vanilla, but HIP seemed bloated and half-arsed to me on these things. And every other change in balance and gameplay make the game less fun to play. Same goes for (current) CK2+ too.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 3, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Toplowtech posted:

You do realize that HIP literally have an install executable that allow you to create the mod of your choice from all the various submods, literally asking you "do you want this submod to be part of the mod YES/NO" for each part of the mod and you can choose not to have the lovely events or the map if you don't want to?

Yes, I know. And I didnt liked any part of it, that was what I was saying.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Roland Jones posted:

Three disagrees to one agree. Hoo boy. I take it that the responses are even worse?

Edit: Found the mod. "Underhanded Tactics - Torture and Adultery". Note that in the OP the full title is apparently "Underhanded Tactics V1.2 Torture, rape and adultery by vincentc". Charming.

At least he has the decency to say outright that you can't target children and will never put that in his mod. Still, ew. I take back any implications of decency I may have included here, the author of this is an awful person. This seems like the sort of thing that should be on some skeevy offsite mod repository, not the main forums for a game.

Edit again: The more I read of this OP the more I regret looking this up. This is abhorrent.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

As always I will let you guys beta test it first and will buy it only after the first patch fix the mandatory game-breaking bugs and hideous unbalances.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

MoreLikeTen posted:

please add a random event that just flips catholicism to cathar and makes absolute cognatic the law of the continent

I think cognatic should be an option for all religions and I actually mod the game to allow it.

CK2 makes it possible to do all kinds of a-historical things anyway (and that's a great part of the fun to me), so why not this?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think it kind of makes sense that it's not available as a default option, but I like the ideas some mods have where ambitious female rulers can set it. You still kind of have to work for it, which still feels historically accurate because women COULD achieve power in that era, but cultural forces were generally aligned against them.

Actually I don't know if a mod for this exists already but another interesting thing could be to create a new "gender egalitarian" trait. Men with the trait wouldn't get the "female heir" or "female ruler" opinion penalty, and male rulers with the trait could set abs cog inheritance law. They could get the trait as an event if they're educated by a woman, or by a man who has the trait themselves. Plus maybe some other random events could grant it to people if their liege is female and is a generally good ruler (represented by high stats, traits like just or kind, etc.)

Yeah, I once had planned a mod where a number of conditions would allow special decisions which would rise a hidden "egalitarian" law.

Something like this:

1- having a female ruler for more than 10 years allows the decision for "low egalitarian", which allows cognatic
2- having at least 30% of your vassals to be woman allows the decision which will raise it to "medium egalitarian, which will allow females to be council members
3- ?

But I dont even know if that's really possible and :effort:

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 25, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hadaka Apron posted:

What's the highest ability score you've ever seen, both with and without the military advice modifier?

In my Latin Empire game, I saw a king of Hungary with 38 Diplomacy, and this was despite being shy. I also saw someone with 53 Martial with advice modifier.

I once had a demon baby genius brave strong guy with 40 martial. With him I went from duke to emperor AND caliph in 4 or 5 decades.

Ive started my first nomad game yesterday and Im having a blast, although it seems it need some balance yet, it seems a bit too easy. Ive started as a vassal Khan and just went conquering the hell out of those tiny buddist realms to the south, while using my money and prestige to get more and more armies. By the time the khagan dies, I was in my second ruler with a lot more land and 2x the army of the Khagan, so that's probably why Ive inherited it (I still dont really understand how nodam succession works). Now Im rampaging through the muslins and indus in the area and nobody seems to be able to stop my 6K standing army.

Also, I had a cool event about a "wolf child" in the forest, which gave me the option to adopt him. I dont know if its knew, but I never saw it before. The kid started pretty lackluster, but by the time he inherited my titles, he had all stats above 10 and 28 loving martial. His child also got the "wolf blood", so it seems like I can keep this going for a while.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 4, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
How can I make another character gain prestige?

Nomad succession is trickier than I though. I want my awesome son to inherit, but my heir is my haf-brother, cause he is old and thus have more prestige. So I gave a bunch of titles to said son, hoping he could somehow squeeze some prestige out of then. Instead he got a rebellion, lost his duchy and ended up with negative prestige and even further down the line (now my two other sons are also ahead of him).

Im using him as commander in all my battles, but the prestige gained is too low. Other than that, I have no idea what can I do to make him gain prestige.

Also, there seems to be a bug or something with the hunter event chain for nomads. I get the dog event and then the first event about the white bear and then nothing else.

EDIT: Dumb kind also converted to buddhism. I guess landing him was really the worst idea. But I still kind confused on what Im supposed to do with titles as a nomad.

And about religion: what happens if I convert to something? Can I still be nomad as a muslin or christian?

And finally: anyone else experienced a very significant performance drop after the last patch and Horse Lords?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 5, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What the hell happened here

Ive traced this fucker to his origins and he is the son of a khan in khazaria. But how the hell was he strong enough to take the Bizzantine Empire? The bizantines were the most powerful nation in the world, I had checked the ledger a bit before this happened. It had like 25K armies while Khazaria had only around 10K. Then how could a subject of Khazaria be strong enough to take then? Is this some new kind of adventurers or something?

Also, it is only 867, and look at those mongol blobs

Im Uyghur, Ive started as a vassal Khan and this is only my third ruler. Nobody can stop us now, not the christians nor the muslims nor the indus.

Specially since the tradicional blobs seems to have been nerfed somehow, both the Arabian Empire and the Karling blob exploded very early. The only force that could at least slow us down was the bizzantines, and then that happened.

So playing a horse lord is loads of fun, but I suppose there is still some balancing to be done, it seems way to easy now.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 7, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The main problem with nomads, IMHO, is how stable they are and how fast you become too rich and strong.

I never had any problem with succession, and you can basically choose your heir freely among your child by making the one you like most get prestige.

With you awesome CBs, you can grab one piece of land after the other while raising more and more armies and getting more and more gold and before you know it you will have like 30 gold income and a 10K standing army of pure cavalry with little maintenance costs (took me 3 rulers to get to this, and it could have been faster if I wanst completely lost on the new mechanics during the first decades).

Is easy to keep your vassals that matter (clans) happy using that raise clan sentiment option with your chancellor, and you dont have to care about everyone else hating your guts, cause if they go up against you, you just smash then with your huge amazing army. And then you have an excuse to revoke their titles and give to people who likes you.

You can also switch religions like you switch clothes and it does not matters if you are pagan/heretic to most of your vassals (for the above reason) or if you cant convert a single province (you still get everything you need from then anyways). Im currently a cathar just because it allows me to employ woman. Before I was manichean and hindu and it didnt made any difference too.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TorakFade posted:

Oooh I like easy mode. What's a good horde start, and what pitfalls should I be on the lookout for?

I can tell you what I did:

Ive choose a vassal khan under the Khaganate of Uyghur, because I like starting as a vassal always. Ive started eating those buddhist counties to the south one after the other, then the smaller muslin nations to the north of the Arabian Empire. Then the empire exploded (by itself, I had no hand on this) and Ive started eating its pieces.

Dont need to care about overthrowing your liege if you start as vassal: by expanding fast you will quickly have more population and prestige then him, so when he dies you will just inherit the khagan for free.

Be at war at all times and dont care if your prestige runs low. Using it to raise armies is essential at the beginning and that subordination CB eats 300, but is very very useful. And buy more armies whenever you can.

Use you chancelor always to raise clan sentiment, leave your steward helping construction at your capital (having it helping to collect will earn little and cause you more trouble with vassals).

When you move your capital, it takes everything you built with it. So do it, move it near to where you are operating, so you dont have to cross half the world to get reinforcements. And if possible, move it to someplace over the silk route, so you can get loads of income from that too.

Dont care about factions and the fact your regular vassals will hate you all times. When they rebel, you crush then, arrest then and revoke their titles. And you can neutralize big dangerous vassal kingdoms by making a new clan (split clan option) and then giving it the kingdom title. You will have a huge happy khan vassal instead of a huge hateful feudal one, that is easier to control and will keep things quiet in its region by eating other smaller feudal realms (and then warring other vassal khans instead of you).

And dont ever land the son you want as heir, or you will be unable to send him as a mercenary to gain prestige.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 8, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

lurksion posted:

Also, what counts as a non-nomad vassal? My single duke-tier chief isn't getting upset that I'm pillaging some of the extra holdings I started with. Is that because he's of Mongol culture?

AS I understand, vassals with "Nomad" government type. Basically the guys you see at the clan tab.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Strudel Man posted:

The optimal way is to keep exactly two baronies in each province, and burn the rest - as long as there's two or more, it doesn't count as a nomadic county, and you don't have to share with the other clans.

How do I burn holdings?

So far I been keeping only my capital, I just give everything else away.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eric the Mauve posted:

I haven't either. It literally never ever happens. Makes me wonder if Slothful Cobra is running some kind of overhaul mod.

I haven't tried to excommunicate anyone myself, either, since usually if I would want a guy excommunicated and the pope doesn't like him, I'd rather get a claim on his land. Maybe the AI is now programmed to think the same way, I dunno.

Me neither.

And speaking of things that never happen anymore, in my current game its already 950, starting from CM date, and Ive never been targeted by adventurers. Perhaps nomads are immune to it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mister Adequate posted:

The big thing that has been missing throughout the game's life has been making promises. You should be able to say "Hey come to my court and I'll make you Steward" or "Support my claim on the throne and I'll grant you another duchy and make you a Grand Duke" or "Hey guys, make me Emperor and I'll reduce Crown Authority!" or whatever.

And then you can have all kinds of clusterfucks result when you make promises you can't keep, or offer contradictory promises, or find that your chancellor/regent/heir has made some bullshit promise you never agreed to and now you've got to figure out a way out of it.

Yeah, its the biggest omission in this game, some kind of promise or deal system. Sometimes you have available jobs, dozens of titles and riches to give, and then there this jobless fucker with awesome stats in a shithole court whose ambition is to become chancellor and you cant say "hey come work for me, I will make you chancellor and give you a county too".

The way it works its backwards: instead of "do what I ask and Ill give you this and that" what we have is "I gave you this and that so now you like me and hopefully will do what I ask". Which kinda works almost the same when the target is in your realm, but not when he is outside, since there is so few choices of what you can give to foreigners.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

alcaras posted:

For the min-maxer, what are the Way of Life paths to bother with?

Business for $?
Then hunting in old age/after business life trait for health (via dog)?

Seduction (for female rulers who need happy vassals) instead of business, then hunting in old age?

Any others?

Stewardship can get you ambition, diligent, and just, among others. And they usually happen fast.

I use to go for Hunting first, than Stewardship, with all characters. But lately hunting seems to be broken;

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I havent played in a long rear end time. Is seduction still broken as poo poo?

Hunting also seems to be broken now, but in the opposite way: its events will almost never fire, nothing ever happen. I usually get the dog and one or two "white animal" events, but nothing ever comes from then and that's it. I can sit on it for decades and still I get no hunter, no stats, nothing.

Maybe they tried to nerf it a bit and went too far? Now is useless.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I think there's too many events that have a chance to fire in a month and it probably selects general events before unique events.

That was always true but before the patch and horse lords the hunting events would happen a lot more often. Now I get 2 or 3 of then in a lifetime, so the chance of getting anything out of then is abysmal.

Im pretty sure it is broken, but maybe its something specific to nomad rulers?

EDIT: at the same time, Stewardship events are hitting like crazy, almost once a month I get one. Makes it really easy to get all the awesome traits and bonuses too.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 15, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Strudel Man posted:

Strange. It looks like it's the same as it ever was - a new hunt is scheduled at the end of the old one, between 1 day and ~4 years later.

hidden_tooltip = { character_event = { id = WoL.5002 days = 365 random = 1000 } }

Can't happen if you're in command, though. Or if you have the do_not_disturb flag.

Oh, that's it then. I never knew about that, and playing as a nomad my character is in command pretty much 100% of the time.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

FutonForensic posted:

third option: seduce the stag

give it a good tumble

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eric the Mauve posted:

There will never be any. Muslim megablobs are still invincible.

On my current game the Umayyad are still solid and formed Hispania, but the Abbasid exploded by itself (no help from me) in a million of pieces after 2 or 3 successful revolts, 100 years or so after the star (CM date).

Maybe is just this one game, but I have the impression that the AI big blobs are less powerful and stable now.

Of all the usual huge blobs (Abbasid, Umayyad, Karling/HRE, Byzantine Empire), the Umayyad are in fact the only one remaining after 200 years from the start. And I didnt do anything to cause that (except eating the Arabian Empire pieces after it was already heavily fragmented).

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 17, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tendai posted:

I wish I'd realized that before I spent like, an hour figuring out the best genetic combinations in my court :saddowns:

Maybe is not worth the trouble but is still a big part of my games. I guess I just love to see high stats.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Bloodly posted:

Money's a pain to raise, in truth. It's dependant on unused Pop/Manpower and the upgrades in your capital. Certainly, you want to pillage places for instant gold and tech and to get Pop and Manpower, but holding them also means you get max taxes out of them regardless of what they think of you.

Just at the very beginning, with time it will start raining gold coins on you, it is easier than merchant republics really. 100 years from the start I had 20g monthly income. 200 years from the start and now I have 70g income and 20K in cash cause there is nothing to expend money anymore.

And I never even bothered to raid on this game. Just keep expanding, build all things that help income and trade in your capital, and move it to a silk trade province ASAP, the income you get from trade posts is awesome, specially after you build the trade buildings.

Im finding that late-game nomad gets somewhat more challenging. The thing is: you have a lowered vassal limit, no viceroys and cant give kingdom titles except to nomad vassals. So what happens is that when you get huge, you will have to start giving kingdoms to your vassal khans. And since they are limited to 8, some of then will get too strong. And then will try to overthrow you (even if they like you).

Most dangerous war I had on the entire game was when 2 vassal khans rose against me, together they had more troops than me, and the same kind of troops too. But by then I was already filthy rich, so Ive hired lots of mercs and it was easy.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jedit posted:

Yeah, but I can't buy any forces, Prestige or otherwise, because I don't have the manpower, and I can't conquer any land because everyone around me is on equal terms and attacking anyone gets the rest to jump me. I'm sure it's a great snowball, but it's not possible to get it moving.

Where and when do you started? Keep in mind that your 100% cavalry horde troops are far superior than regular troops, you can take armies bigger than yours easily.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 19, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jedit posted:

769. Is that non-viable?

Totally viable, Ive started on 769 too, and my game was very easy.

I dont know here you are, I choose as a vassal Khan in the Uyghur Kahaganate. At the start, there are all those buddhist counties to the south, you can pretty much conquer one after the other without much trouble. You should be able to take then even with inferior numbers, your troops are a lot superior.

Take then all before someone else does and you and then you should have enough manpower to go after bigger targets, like smaller nomads and those not-so-big muslin kingdoms in Persia. And never stop warring.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jedit posted:

Tried that. Half my "superior" troops got killed in a Pyrrhic victory against an equivalent sized force, then the Buddhists called in allies outnumbering me three to one.

Bad luck I guess? To me it was a walk in the park, just took one after the other, wiping all their troops with minimum losses. I think helps a lot if your ruler have has high martial like mine did .

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
In my computer, midrange too, running linux mint 12, I felt that the performance actually is a little worse after the latest DLC and patch.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I must be the only CK 2 player who actually enjoys giving out kingdom titles.

I dont know, I guess it just makes me feel powerful to be able to create kings out of any fucker. Also, I love to see the kingdoms Ive created expand and fight each other.

Of course they can be dangerous to yourself on the long run, but usually when you get to this stage of the game any extra challenge is welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

CrazyLoon posted:

Oh no doubt...a long while back I basically doled out kingdom titles within my empire of the norse like candy, but had low imperial crown authority. Fun times!

I once had 23 vassal kings on my empire, also norse. Actually, on that game Ive managed to not have a single duke or count vassal.

• Locked thread