Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

beedeebee posted:

By the way, a bunch of pikemen + the Alps = ultimate defense?

+ Scottish generals to get the good defensive tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Middlesex. De jure capital of the empire of Britannia. Essex is a great duchy, there's no republics who you have to compete with, Middlesex is a perfectly strong 6 holding county, and it's easily accessible from any tribal start. Not to mention that it's usually easy as hell to conquer since England is fractured. You can form an empire title prior to conquering Britannia without loving yourself over as well. This is by far the easiest, safest migration to attempt, and if you've never tried one before, this is where you start.

Rome. De jure capital of the empire of Italia. Rome is a bit tricky in that there's two really sketchy variables that no other soft capital has. The first is that until you conquer it, the pope will own it, and he will poo poo all over it with temples and make it a crappy capital. You can circumvent this by starting as the king of Lombardy, instantly pressing a de jure claim on Rome, using every penny you earn to build castles in its empty holding slots, and then moving to Ireland to form your republic, with the intention of one day returning to conquer your bad mother fucker rear end capital. The baddest mother fucker rear end capital in the game, if you'd like to get technical about it. The other issue is that if the AI forms the HRE, the de jure empire of Italia disappears. There's still a way to make Rome your capital by using the "create roman empire" decision as the ruler of the Byzantine Empire, and while this is fun and achievable, it is a goddamn mess and it's not your weekend game by any means.

Brugge. Brugge is an interesting case in that it's a great 7 holding county, but it's also not the de jure capital of any kingdom or empire. It is however, the capital of the duchy of Flanders. So if you want to take on the Karling clown car and conquer Flanders without having so much as a king title to your name, go for it. It'd probably be a cool capital if you could pull it off.

All three of these are amazing. London is by far the easiest for a Germanic character, but Flanders is really good. And Rome is definitely doable, you just need to get it done in the first decade or so of the game. I guess you could also just park a bunch of raiders on it and wait for them to eventually burn down all the churches, but that could take a hundred years.

Also, make sure that if you do the London option you first convert to Welsh culture for the Longbow retinues.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Spakstik posted:

Doesn't leading an army keep some of the Way of Life events from firing?

It prevents a ton of events from firing, not just the new ones.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That's probably the total value of the entire trade route, not just that node.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well, I hope they do.

How cool it would be to be able to start as the chief of nomad landless band of warriors and work your way up to huge empire blob?

If they are adding this new mechanic, they are absolutely going to add at least one bookmarked character you can play as.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Volkerball posted:

eagerly awaiting the entire world is nomadic mod.

That'll probably be the very first thing I do once the patch comes out, I'll modify my all tribal mod to add a second start date where everyone is a nomad.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm not sure how global flags work compared to character flags, but from the look of it you can only get the event once (if you accept), even if your character dies and you take over as the heir. If you reject it that specific character won't get the event again but their heir can.

The immediate clause on the global flag means that it can only happen once, regardless if you hit accept or not. That said, the global flag has an owner scope set for some reason, so it might not be set properly. I've never tried setting a global flag under an owner scope, so if it doesn't work right you could have that event fire once for every ruler.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

There's no fuckin' way you were ever doing world conquest in 25 years even when game came out sorry. I've been playing since release and you're just talking nonsense.

Why do you think it got so nerfed? There were videos of people doing a world conquest in a single ruler's lifetime. Usually starting with the Magyars because of the crazy event troops they got.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

sexy mouse posted:

Trying for the "Empire of the Sun" achievement by cheesing it as Abbasid's. I switched faiths and reformed and then got an immediate game over because I was controlling a theocracy. How do I not have that happen?

Wait for the next patch, because reforming non-norse right now will randomly give you a game over from inheriting a theocracy.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Maybe the quick conquest is using something like the Spy On mechanic to imprison the war target? I didn't think it was that fast of a plot though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

jwalrus posted:

If that flag is supposed to prevent it ever firing again, I don't think it's working. I've been testing, and was able to fill up a county's slots with castles using that event, just by having each successive ruler take the rulership focus.

The entire point of a global flag is to set something game wide, which based upon that event trigger is supposed to only allow a single castle to be built, ever. If it's allowing you to build multiple ones, then putting the owner {} scope in there is what is preventing it from working properly.

Which is a good thing tbh, it should be one per province or ruler, not a single one ever.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

- Landless AI religious heads are not prevented from starting crusades anymore.

:rip: sniping Rome as a Viking.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

beedeebee posted:

My 1 year old son had to take over because I got sick and died. I chose some pretty qualified guy to educate me, but when I turned 16, I had 0 traits. What the gently caress dude.

Always check periodically to make sure you still have an educator, sometimes they go missing.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Realm/Succession laws have changed a lot, and are now located in common/laws/.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

beedeebee posted:

Uhm, since when is the number of troops shown on the character screen? That's neat. No longer having to check realm levies or w/e

That came with v2.3 I think.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Looks like they added a boolean NAND option now.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The Silk Road is not technically just for Nomads. But looking at the map you probably need to be a steppe Nomad or Indian for it to matter much.

Anyone looked at the files to see how the Silk Road works?

The Silk Road is made up of two parts.

The base trade route has a 100 wealth, and runs along a number of paths. These are the paths that can be disrupted by war, but I haven't yet looked to see just what that means.

Every province that the trade route is in gets a +15% modifier to castle/city/temple tax, along with a single share of the income. Building the trade posts will increase the overall value of the Silk Road (that 100 ducat part), as well as give you an extra share of the income. The buildings give an extra 1/3/5 slice, so one level 3 tradepost is as good as 5 un-upgraded provinces. The level 2 and 3 tradeposts also give an increased fort level; the level 3 version is only a little worse than Theodosian Walls in terms of fort level. They also add a local tradevalue, which I think adds an income bonus if it's your capital, not sure on that.

Nomads can build extra buildings on a trade route that provide some huge bonuses to global trade value, these are probably going to be key to making loadsamoney

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TTBF posted:

Go to Green Man Gaming, add Crusader Kings 2 and whatever DLC you want and use the code GMGSUM-MERSAL-E20OFF at checkout for 20% off.

E: The current steam sale is way better than that though.

GMG has some of the DLC on sale for less than Steam does, including Way of Life for 66% off.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Not sure if it was mentioned, but a pretty awesome change is that when converting a holding from a tribe to a castle/city, if there are available slots it will automatically add a city/temple/castle if they don't exist.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Can you pillage provinces you own?

Yes.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TTBF posted:

What's going on with prestige here? Retinues are maxed out and they're all cavalry. Can't figure it out.

Some retinues cost prestige instead of ducats.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Do I just park my horde on poo poo I own with the loot modifier on to pillage?

It's a holding decision. There should also be a notifier at the top of the screen with a notice about it.

If you need to give away land to your clans, pillage it before you hand it off. You might as well get the cash for it instead of them.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Modding-savvy goons, how moddable does the Silk Road look? Does it look like it can be copied and duplicated to simulate other important overland trade routes such as the Sahara Trade?

Yes, absolutely

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Krataar posted:

Can you only pillage a holding into dust if you are the Khagan of your Horde?

I'm pretty sure the only requirements are that you are a nomad, you control the holding, and it's not under siege.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dante posted:

So I found a weird bug. If you pick a nomad (say Khazaria) and alter the ruler with the Ruler Designer (depending on traits it seems) the rulers location is set to ANY_ALL.
That itself doesn't matter much, but unfortunately 500 units worth of army also has their location set to ANY_ALL (which I think I'm commanding). I haven't been able to get this ghost unit to appear anywhere.

Should be fixed in the beta patch.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

So I've been giving out titles exclusively to dynasty members ever since I reformed into feudalism...

About 30 of those allies are called into his current war versus an OPM shithead in Italy.

40k troops total holy gently caress

That's why I love landing my dynasty. Sure, you sometimes end up with a lovely ruler and an entire realm of pretenders allied against him in a revolt, but watching them dump all that energy against others is wonderfully satisfying.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

mythomanic posted:

Modding is fun! I gave the Normans and Norse cultures mercenaries, as well as letting Norman and Berber cultures raid.

Groogy, can you get this in the official patch?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Might not be the most historical thing in the world, but I feel like you ought to be able to send missionary expeditions out even to rulers of non-pagan faiths.

Absolutely

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think it allows them to do coastal raids, period (non-seafarer raiders can only raid provinces next to their realm - they can't load boats up with loot like the Vikings). It might also allow them to use boats along the major rivers.

There is a river travel flag that can be set, seafarer should be purely coastal.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

OhGreatAGinger posted:

code:
		AND = {
	c_jerusalem = { # Jerusalem's holder is of the non-heretic western Christian faith
			holder_scope = {
				religion = ROOT
				}
			}

AND = {
	c_jerusalem = { # Jerusalem's holder's top liege is of the non-heretic western Christian faith
	holder_scope = {
		top_liege ={
		  religion = ROOT
       		}
	}
	}	

Your formatting is making it difficult to read, but it looks like you have mismatched brackets.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Would female patrician enabled Republics be able to do matri marriages though? I thought that was the hard-coded aspect - like with Muslims you could always enable female succession, but doing so would lead to a game over within a generation because you wouldn't have the ability to produce an heir of your dynasty (although I suppose you can sidestep that now with seduction focus and producing a bunch of bastards).

The last time I tried (late-2014?) republics were still hard coded to never be able to do a matrilineal marriage. So yes, while it was trivial to make it so that republics could do full cognatic, it just meant that you were going to lose at some point.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bel Monte posted:

Sounds good. What's to stop me from, just prior to reforming, taking all the county level titles for myself, pissing off the realm, reforming the government shortly after, then issuing out land again? Seems like a fast way to get to get small kingdoms ready to go and modernized. Looking at you, Ireland.

Nothing really, and it's the best way of doing it imo. Especially if you have good stewardship, the penalty for holding all that land won't even be that bad.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

"Fixed a bug that made Hellenic Pagan religion available in the Ruler Designer."

But, why?

I'm going to assume it's because there is absolutely no reason to ever play them, and if you really want to you might as well just use a mod that adds some sort of features to them.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Black Dynamite posted:

I took out all his troops, including the Knights Templar and their buddies. War score remains 0. Pope issued the following statement: "It's just a flesh wound!"

Is there a way to like, delete the Pope? I can't do poo poo because this war won't go away.

Yeah, I understand why they made it so that landless Popes could call Crusades, but it's pretty hosed up right now. I'd rather they just go back to making unlanded religious leaders be unable to call crusades, but then add an event like the holy orders get, where if the religious head is unlanded you can let him build a temple in your land.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I haven't really played since Horse Lords came out, and found that my archers are now complete crap. I know there were some changes to the way troops worked, but I haven't dug through the files yet. Has anyone compiled a full list of the new troop stats?

Also, is there any way to convert into a Nomadic government form? I haven't conquered any steppe land yet, but was wondering if I could give it to my heir in order to make him a nomad.

Also also, tributaries are OP as poo poo, and awesome for gaining tons of prestige and gold.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bloodly posted:

You wanna explain why? I'm missing it.

Groogy will probably change it, but this is what you get right now:

• 200 prestige and 40% of income from the target
  • They join in on all your wars
  • All your tribal/nomadic vassals get 5 years of +20 opinion (stacking) This is what really makes it go from nice to holy gently caress OP.
  • This lasts until you or they die

Once you get a couple of them going, you can just sit back and watch the swarm conquer everything. When you're playing a tribe, the extra money helps immensely for creating titles. You can stay relatively small but punch way above your weight. Obviously works best if you start with a young ruler, but all you really need are the first couple to then keep everyone around you perma-tributaries. Oh, and they are more likely to accept diplo-vassalization if they are a tributary, so you can then add them to the fold if you want.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bloodly posted:

The bolded: do these still apply if there's a religion/culture mismatch? Are they forced to accept?

I've had non-culture, non-religion (but same religious group) tributaries join my wars. I don't know if they are forced to join or if they are just extremely likely to join.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That's a lot of available levies and money.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Whorelord posted:

Made a demigod Zoroastrian in ruler designer, managed to snag all of the Persian empire in one lifetime to become Saoshyant, turned Sunni Islam into a heresy plagued mess, captured the Caliph's wives, turned them into my concubines. Whose following a dying religion now :smug:

Not just Sunni Islam that's having problems either; the entirety of southern England is Lollard and the nobility of East Francia are all Cathars about 30 years into the game.

Yes, that is usually what happens when you completely break the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hambilderberglar posted:

Anything missing or is this possible in fewer steps?

The hard part is making the Persian Empire title, because it's an absolutely massive amount of land to conquer. For the culture/religion, just move your capital to an appropriate province, and use the decision to change.

• Locked thread