Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
This is a pretty good game already. Compared to WoT, I like...

1) Low tiers are not poo poo boxes that go 15 kph. In fact, as a reflection of the fact that everything built from the late 1950's and onward was relatively speedy, nothing in this game is really that slow. At the slowest, some of the MBT's have speeds that are comparable to like an IS-3 or something in WoT.

2) You start off with cool tanks and can be in iconic stuff like an M60 or T-62 in just a handful of games. No more slogging through a stack of random Panzer whatevers before you get to the cool stuff. Tier 1 is fun as everything is pretty fast and there are autocannons everywhere. Also, everyone gets 6th sense.

3) Arty does what it should do in WoT - it keeps a big clump of heavy tanks from hiding behind a big rock all game. You will never totally wreck someones tank with one bullshit shot, and the actual big splash damage means that if you are trying to hug some corner, arty will wear you down eventually (no more waiting 40 seconds for your shot, just overshooting and doing 0 damage). Its less frustrating to play AS and less frustrating to play AGAINST.

4) Missiles are buggy still, but the potential for Battlefield-style wire guided missile trick shots is real and should be really rewarding of skill as the game matures.

5) Your tank is not a hunk of total garbage stock. Upgrades will make you more powerful, but there is no more feeling like your stock tank took a shell into the engine before the match even started.

6) Graphics engine has a lot more potential than the WoT engine. HD WoT looks good, but they are pressing up against what is possible with their engine - Armored Warfare already looks at least as good.

Right now, the biggest issue seems to be that the damage-to-hitpoints ratio is higher than WoT (most tanks seems to die in 3-5 hits from an equal tier tank) and the higher mobility means that a lot of the rounds have a ton of tanks dead just minutes in. It leads to the lopsided games that demon is talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Light tanks and tank destroyers seem to be really powerful against MBT's, but I love that they have kept autocannon using infantry fighting vehicles viable by allowing them to WRECK unarmored vehicles. There is a gameplay video of the tier 6 Bradely up and he kills a tier 6 Stingray (super fast, no armor, amazing gun light tank) in one clip.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Leif. posted:

Is the performance in this game poo poo for anyone else? I run Tanks and Warships on basically max settings. This game gets 9 fps with everything on low. Makes trying to hit anything impossible when vehicles move so fast.

Someone said there was an issue where the game wasn't using your Nvidia graphics card unless you did X or Y. Might want to check it out.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Snakes in a can posted:

T-80s using HEAT make me cry. The gun average rolls for 900 with HEAT. Its insane.

Sad the test servers still have the stupid timer on them, rip ocena.

So far though the games definitely got something working for it. Ive been having fun insted of playing wot. Mm is completely borked but thats fine. Rolling around in LAV 150s with friends using incendiary ammo and wolf packing a pubbie is hilarious.

Also avoid driving over cars. It destroys my fps for like 5 seconds.
The tiers need some work. Tier 7 tanks do insane damage, shredding even Tier 6 tanks in seconds.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I hope GOTTA GO FAST vehicles with autocannons are viable all the way to top tier, because it is a riot to play.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Aesis posted:

Camo/spot: Almost non-existent. There are camouflage values but pretty much expect to be spotted if enemy can see even 1 pixel of your tank within their view range (turret has to be pointed towards your direction). Bushes do help though but not that much. When you're spotted you'll get notification after 1~2 seconds which won't disappear until you're unspotted. However your tank outline is visible for couple more seconds so beware. Enemy outside spot range will not be spotted even when firing in open field. Enemy within approx. 20 m will be spotted automatically.
All that really seems to matter is view range. MBT's have the worst, and by significant amount. Expect to experience light tanks and TDs and infantry fighting vehicles firing at you while remaining invisible.

Aesis posted:

Shot dispersion: Very random. It's probably not Gaussian probability distribution like WoT so expect your shots to fly everywhere. Auto-aim does seem to help though.
This would be annoying if not for the fact that most of the guns in this game are super accurate psuedo railguns. It takes some getting used to compared to WoT - a tank spotted out in the open will often be volleyed to death in seconds.

Aesis posted:

Angling: Angling works, but side scraping is not guaranteed ricochet/damage soaking like WoT. As such it's more important to find a good cover than depend on angling.
This has actually been the biggest disappointment so far. It might be a more accurate reflection of modern tank shells and armor, but I have not been able to get side scrapping to work the way it does in WoT. Do NOT expect to auto bounce shots fired at 70 degree+ angles the way you would in WoT. Going hull down still works well, and angling your hull makes your UFP harder to pen, but its just not the same as WoT.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Snakes in a can posted:

VBL is the "gotta go fast" vehicle, goes 90kph with no perks and with crew/commander skills it goes 110? Ive seen these circlejerk mbts to death.
I just saw one with missile launchers and I just watched him drive around the rest of the match when I died.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

My experience playing Armored Warfare early access:

1. Pubbies bitching about MM
To be fair, there is basically no MM right now. They seem to have it disabled to ensure people get fast games during the short test windows.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

BadLlama posted:

Are they going to have any auto-loaders? I mean besides the Auto-cannon firing tanks.
Arn't a lot of the most modern MBT's autoloader using?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

hopterque posted:

This phase of testing is about to end and they've shown prelim patch notes for the next phase (hopefully starting in a week or two)

http://aw.my.com/en/forum/showthread.php?17826-Early-Access-3-Patchnotes/

Highlights: tier 8 tanks, PVE mode, decals for tanks, matchmaker improvements, more armor buffs and fixes for big tanks, penetration nerfs.
Cool poo poo, super curious about the PvE mode.
I like it, the armor buffs and pen nerf on higher calibre shoulds should improve gameplay, which above tier 4/5 kind of turns into "everyone pens everybody".

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

How does one redeem their founders pack?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I really appreciate being able to play fun, speedy tanks right off the bat instead of having to grind through some dumb post WW1 shitbox that goes 20kph. Being able to get into an iconic T-55 in only a few games is a big boost as well.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Need an NA invite for Sard to CHAI

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I've been going up the Russian MBT line (because russia) but are there any lines or tanks that stand out as especially good?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Anyone else struggle to even log in? I sit on a black screen or "authenticating" for like 10-15 minutes sometimes.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

The Terminator is so good. I love driving out to fight a tier 5 MBT one on one. You just sit there and aim your missiles. He gets his shot in, then you do 1500+ damage to him.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

So are light tanks the mediums of WoT, with the recon/fire support vehicles being light tanks?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I'm really, really enjoying that even the slowest tank in the game so far seems to be about IS speed which is a nice aspect.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

How does free XP work in this game? I'm halfway through the Sheridan but kind of want to just free XP the rest and move on. If I free XP the rest of the way, how do I unlock the commander I can only get at proven?

Edit: God the loving MBT-70 gun is so bad.

cheese fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 10, 2015

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Tier 5 suuuuuucks right now. Every game will be a tier 6 match with a bunch of MBT70s you cant pen.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

NA invite to Sard please

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I don't understand the XM1 at all. My tier 5 BgltPlatzer with top APCR ammo could not penetrate it from the flat side from about 50 meters. Side shots into turret, tracks, hull, engine etc. I emptied my 8 shot clip twice into the side and never got a single pen :O

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Valle posted:

I uh...I think you mean Panzer?
I call it the BagelPlatzer, dunno why. Maybe because it puts big holes in you from the side, but if you have to frontally shoot an MBT, it feels like your shells are bagels.

Also I've realized that my view feels kind of fish eyed. Tanks at the edge of the screen seem to be stretched out and too long. Is this a FoV or graphics setting thing? What resolution do I want?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Cardiac posted:

I became bored when I realized it is the same grind for no readily apparent change from WoT, and I don't really have the time for grinding another game.
ATGMs seems interesting, but also means a more sniping environment once the meta settles down?
Which mechanics are in your opinion better than WoT?

So why did you start playing it, or was it just because you were tired of WoT?
There are a couple of big things that I really like. You will never be one shot by arty and its more enjoyable to play, modern tanks interest me more (you are in a T-55 by Tier 2 - I hate having to grind through 4 or 5 tiers of inter-war poo poo cans that I neither know about nor care about), mobility is across the board better (gently caress you T-28 prototype), stock tanks are far more playable, the upgrade system is interesting and better than WoTs, armor vs penetration is far more of chess match by tier 5 than WoT (my T62 in WoT pens everything) and my progression is far more dependent on me than on whether my team wins. The company also feels a lot more responsive so far to customer feedback and I'm honestly loving tired of giving Wargaming my money, especially after some of the poo poo they have pulled in World of Warships (horrible weekend bonuses and 65 dollars for loving Tirpitz, get out).

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

ChickenWyngz posted:

I like having months of premium time, heaps of gold, a metric ton of premiums, and 6 million internet monies for the same price I'd spend on some lovely WoT christmas bundle
Don't forget the 2 weeks of +25% credits and XP bonus that stacks with your premium time bonus.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Is there any real difference between the BMP and BMD lines? Do we know what tier 8-10s they lead to?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

For some reason I am no longer in CHAI. Can Sard on NA get an invite?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Use free XP to get to the XM1, it will never be this easy again. Thing is almost unpenable from the front by any other tank and laughs off most damage to the side.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Ambaire posted:

I haven't unlocked it yet, but is the Begleitpanzer 57 completely OP or is it just me? Sure, it's a squishy light tank, but it has a gun that can do 12,000 dpm... 209 damage @ 67.5 rounds per minute... I suppose the caveat is it only has 140 pen, so sides and backs only.

Edit: Oh, it has an 8 round clip with 14s reload. Guys, I think I found the 13-90/batchat equivalent.

Edit2: Also, I think that view ranges in this game are absurdly short for a 'modern' tank game. I was just on the highway earlier and I could easily see traffic moving off an exit from a sign saying it was over a mile distant. That's at least 1500 meters. On the open sand/city/etc maps I think you should easily have 1km visibility. And for the airport map, why can't I see a tank moving across the runway 1km away? That's nothing.
It plays like a slow AMX 1390 that can only use stock AP ammo. Its damage LOOKS good on paper, but as a tier 5, you are going to spend a lot of time trying to shoot things that laugh at your penetration.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Its hard to understand how the XM1 went live like this. Its essentially untouchable from the front by anything its tier. Like immune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Tier 5-6 are not in a great place right now. XM1s are all over the place and a total joke to fight, and everything seems to be focused on MBTs.

• Locked thread