Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There really needs to be a way to sort by development cost in the build manager. That poo poo is annoying to search through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pooned posted:

Why is the aggressive expansion so low? I vassalied Pomerania in the first war as BB and i got 17 AE? Expanding seems very easy now regarding AE.

Edit: Took Lauenberg and Lubeck from Hansa, gained 8.

:O

Expansion is easier in terms of AE, but the monarch point cost is a lot more expensive. 10 ADM/DIP per development point is pretty high, and also the discount for having a claim is now only -10%. I'm starting to wonder if this change didn't tip things too far in favor of vertical growth.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The main reason diplo-annexing is expensive now is because diplo points are now actually worth a drat for other things.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There are a lot of UI issues that are really frustrating me. The fort mapmode doesn't show zones of control, making it nearly useless. I can't sort the building manager by development cost, so I have to search for the cheapest province. The buildings tab of the ledger has been completely removed for some reason, so I can't use that anymore. Like, if I wanted to build a barracks, I'd like to be able to easily find which province has the highest military development. I thought I'd be able to do something like that in the ledger, but instead I have to search all over the map for which province gives me the biggest manpower increase. Things are just really tedious right now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also note that in terms of pure numbers, you only took slightly less casualties than the other side.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Let's say I wanted to colonize the Eastern Seaboard as the Ottomans. What would be the quickest way to make this happen? I'm doing it all for a stupid pun.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I guess that would work. I wouldn't be able to core the Canaries until dip 7, though I'd need that for colonization anyway.

e: also the latest patch made it so you can't take provinces that you can't core, right?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Node posted:

It's gotten so stupid that I've seen Leon get elected emperor, and there was even an elector voting for a westernized converted Catholic native in South America. The HRE is a mess right now.

This happened to me once as the Inca, way back shortly after release. Unfortunately I can't seem to find my screenshot of Emperor Tupac I.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's finally time for Divine Wind 2: Horse Lord Boogaloo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Does anybody know where the event for increasing your heir's stats is hidden?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No, that's the Hindu-only one. I know there's an event for non-Hindu nations that lets you increase one of your heirs stats by 2.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ABC Always Be Converting, even if you're tolerant. Tolerance towards heathens and heretics only goes up to +3, while tolerance of the true faith has no limit. The more true faith provinces you have, the more resilient you are to rebellion, while keeping the heathen/heretic provinces gives you nothing. And converting costs nothing but money. Humanism is just a means to keep your provinces under control until you can convert them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh yeah completely misread that. The easiest way to switch is to make sure that you'll have as close to 100% unity as possible after switching. You get +25% unity no matter what from your ideas, and +2 tolerance means that your heretic provinces will contribute 75% of their development to your unity. That means that you can actually switch at any time, even without a single protestant province, and still have 100% unity after switching. Since you're Spain, you're probably nowhere near any centers of reformation, so you'll want to convert ASAP to get your own and get the ball rolling.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Culture conversion would be OK if they had kept random culture spread from EU3.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd say you should try to butter up the Mamluks and Timurids, since neither of them are too fond of the Ottos.

And yeah, the AI generally will not give a poo poo about your generosity.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It definitely used to be based on base tax of core provinces, and despite what the tooltip on the government window says, it's actually based on total development of core provinces, not just number of core provinces. Interestingly, this number also includes core provinces that you don't currently control. Don't believe me? Ottomans start with 293 development, plus 135 from uncontrolled cores. Their sole Serbian province has 10 development. 10 / (293 + 135) = 0.023

(It truncates to the nearest tenth of a percentage)

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 15, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

double nine posted:

IS there any way to avoid the drat "lose 1 stability or +3 inflation" event? I hate that one.

You can reduce the chance of getting it by having a treasurer adviser, and by not having any outstanding loans.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah Corruption is -1 stab or +3 inflation, there's another mega lovely event which is something like -100 admin points or +3 inflation which only fires if you have inflation >5

It's actually the same event, you get the -100 ADM option if you're at -3 stability.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:burger: :yosbutt:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Revanchism looks good from a gameplay perspective, but it feels a bit out of place historically. Does John Q. Serf really care if he's ruled by a German king rather than a French one?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bort Bortles posted:

Has anyone ever done hardcore math to figure out if it is better to control 100% of the provinces in a Trade Company node or if it is better to own 33%-50% and protectorate the rest so they get that sweet +% to good produced, which you then whisk away to your home node?

I'd say it's always better to own a province, because then you get 100% of the production value as well. The merchant republic trading bonus just gives you a large percentage, but it can never exceed what you'd get from production unless your trade efficiency is significantly higher than your production efficiency. From a competitive standpoint, it's also better to own the province to prevent the production income from going to your potential enemies.

For example, let's consider a node with 2.0 base production for a good which is valued at 5 ducats. That's 10 ducats/year from production before PE is applied. If you have 90% of the trade power share in the node and don't own the province, the trade value gets increased to 19 ducats, of which you would receive 90%, or 17.1 ducats/year before TE is applied. If you DO own the province, you get the full production value plus 90% of the trade value for 19 ducats/year. Again, that's before efficiencies get applied.

I did some napkin math, and discovered that if the ratio of your production efficiency to your trade efficiency is greater than the square of your trade share, then it's better to own the province.

That being said, the merchant trading bonus is still insanely good because it means you can save a bunch of monarch points from not having to acquire the provinces.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Are there any easy ways to turn the Ottomans into a republic? I'm trying to get 0% accepted culture threshold, and I need a plutocratic policy to make it happen.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

CK2 and EU4 have exactly the same problems with their war and peace systems. The difference is that in EU4 you can end up taking more poo poo than you wanted initially because the retarded AI decided to fight to the death over a single worthless province or whatever. In CK2 you expend the same vast expense and effort for your lovely war goal and thats it.

The AI really ought to have something that determines how fiercely they're willing to fight for something, because yeah it's really weird to see them go into total war mode over some lovely off-culture heathen grain-producing boondock province.

For that matter it would be cool if you could negotiate with the AI and make demands for provinces before going to war.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

Is the "Failed administration" event from the admin ideas group supposed to fire when I'm at positive stability? According to the wiki, it should only fire if I'm at -2 stab. I've had it trigger thrice in like 20 years and it's getting a bit silly that this idea group just tanks my stability.

In paradoxese, an equal sign is actually greater than or equal to. So the line "stability = -2" means that it will trigger if your stability is -2 or higher.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Make it moddable so that all religions can pick a syncretic faith and I'm sold.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Production gives you +0.2 Goods Produced, which at 100% Production and Trade Efficiency means a potential 0.2 * 2 * Price yearly income. Obviously that's an "ideal" late-game situation and PE and TE scale with tech from 10% at the start to 100% at max tech.

Production efficiency gets added to the trade value, so if you've got 100% PE you're actually getting 200% of the trade value.

e: misread, maybe?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

I think we're on the same page. Production and Trade Efficiency are effectively additive, assuming you're capturing all the trade value (a big assumption).

Production Income = Goods Produced * Goods Value * Production Efficiency

Trade Income = Goods Produced * Goods Value * Trade Efficiency * (how much of the trade you're capturing)

So PE and TE are additive, which is why I simplified my chart to PE + TE as they also increase at most of the same tech levels. They're both multiplicative with Goods Produced, which is the best economic modifier.

Mostly correct, it's actually

Production Income = Goods Produced * Goods Value * (100% + Production Efficiency)

i.e. if you have 0% PE you'll still get production income.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Star posted:

My games are really turning out in ways I've never seen before. This have to be the most expansive reformation yet for me. Even France and Austria turned.

And yet England, Sweden, and Norway are still Catholic. Usually they're the first to go.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't lose wars.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wiz posted:

Dev diary about Estates is up.

Hey this looks familiar

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kalos posted:

North American natives are basically just map filler. The Inca, Aztec, and Maya have some mechanics to make for interesting but difficult runs. North America is mostly just waiting for the colonizers to show up and take your land.

If you know what you're doing and prepare with the right ideas, you can survive and thrive after first contact. The most important thing is westernizing and getting the event to switch to Christianity ASAP, which will remove the colonizers' casus belli and desire to go to war with you.

e: although, I do thing the NA natives need a bit of a redo after Common Sense, since most of their buildings are still balanced without the changes in mind.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 5, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My favorite thing about North America is that everything between the Rocky Mountains and the Sierra Nevada is uninhabitable wasteland, yet Arizona is perfectly fine.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's a lot of Russias.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tsyni posted:

You have no idea:

The greatest borders known to man.

You're the Jackson Pollock of map painting games.

e: loving SPANISH KAMCHATKA

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you've got manpower to spare, it's usually better to just let the provinces revolt, then they get -20 RR for the next 5 years.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jastiger posted:

Wow thats actually really useful and explains a lot. Thanks a lot for that. Now it all makes sense.

Maginot line not gonna happen here, then eh?

Au contraire, building a maginot line on your borders is actually very effective. Especially if you happen to have a nice mountain range on your borders.

e: don't forget to scorch the earth before the enemy arrives!

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 7, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also a province's religion is just the majority religion there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What's a good first three idea groups for Muscovy? I'm really tempted to go with Admin and/or Influence, because I've got just a poo poo ton of coring to do - Novgorod alone is 1190 base points. But that would severely delay settling Siberia and I don't want to wait too long and discover Spaniards in Kamchatka. Maybe Admin/Exploration would be better? Or Expansion/Influence? Or I could just say gently caress it to coring costs and go Exploration/Expansion.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is Admin not as good as I think it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bishop Rodan posted:

What should my second idea group be as the Ottos? I have humanist, and in the past Admin would have been my second idea group, but you can't do that now. I was thinking maybe Influence or a military idea (Quantity?). Any suggestions?

It really depends on if you want to try to keep the janissaries or not. If you do, you're going to need 70+ army tradition to avoid the revolt, and for that you'll need Defensive or Quality, probably both. Aristocratic wouldn't hurt either.

• Locked thread