Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Redmark posted:

Just add a distant war modifier for the tributary overlord's willingness to defend, or increase the distance penalty for becoming a tributary in the first place..

This seems ideal, particularly if failure to defend either ends tributary status or makes them more likely to cancel tributary status or to revolt or whatever tributaries do to not be tributaries anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Important question for Switzerlake: is the condition for the achievement just that you currently have 99 directly-controlled provinces with no ports or must you never have had access to the sea?

I assume vassals on the shore are okay.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well, exactly. A system you can almost certainly ignore (like sailors and, mostly, corruption) is pure bloat

The only time I've ever had to take note of my sailors pool was when I first got access to navies as Aztec (and other techblocked/landlocked nations). It seems almost silly to me how they keep tweaking the numbers with Sailors because they still don't matter.

I get that it's supposed to be naval manpower, but what was it supposed to address, gameplay-wise? What was the thesis behind its creation and continued existence?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Man Musk posted:

As a North American Tribe, is it better to continually migrate for the 50x monarch point bonus, or to blob out with colonists?

One fun gimmick I saw was to migrate south and convert to Nahuatl. From there, you use the north american nations to feed your need for vassals until you've got all five reforms and waiting for an institution to develop. Regardless, try and settle somewhere that you think you can start conquering.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Doing Switzerlake--should I stay a republic or go monarchy?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I never knew how much I'd miss that free diplomacy slot until it was gone. It's near-impossible to get good alliances anymore because the AI trends towards getting as many alliances as possible.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The colonist reform should be the last one you grab. Every province makes your Doom gain worse.

Grab provinces sparingly and make ample use of the Sacrifice Vassal Ruler/Heir feature (in the subject interactions tab). You'll want to grab at least one province from each of the more powerful states in the region, like Tarascan, or possibly more (if it's necessary to get a border on Colima). The idea is that you should have juuuuust enough provinces that at any moment you'll have a greater force limit than any two of your prospective subjects. Also, ally one of the Mayan powers.

Once you've completed the first round or two of reforms it's not too hard to keep the cycle going, though the Doom can really creep up. Always take event options that reduce more Doom unless the consequences seem particularly dire. If you ever find yourself in a situation where it seems like you can't get Doom low enough to pass the next reform consider either: A) Starting a war with one of the Mayan nations or B) sitting on your subjects and sacrifice their rulers until they revolt. Your Doom reduces from slain foes (something like 1 doom per thousand slain. It can really stack up) and that's how I got out from under a bad spot in one of my attempts.

With regards to reform order...Grab Discipline first (you probably were going to anyway) then either stability or MAYBE the diplomacy relations one. Colonists last because you can't really use those until you've got all the other reforms.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 27, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I forgot about the fort thing. Yeah, that's really important for deciding where and when to take provinces. If you need to give them back, in my experience they're slow to build new ones, if ever. Due to all their money going into your coffers and the skulls of all their young people resting in neat racks at the Templo Mayor.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

AnoHito posted:

The AI usually gets a free diplo slot to use specifically for the player, to stop you from getting locked out of any alliances just because you don't have the reaction speeds of a literal robot. They removed this in 1.22

I'm reluctant to play again until this is fixed. It's just terrible for any game where you need good alliances to get started.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Phone posted:

Alright, sounds good.

I haven't installed it yet, but I'm going to be out of town with my 13" Macbook Pro (i7, Intel integrated graphics)... how much pain am I going to be in playing on a laptop?

Only issue you might run into with playing on a laptop is that you might not be able to play at the highest speed.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
- Mandate penalty from neighbouring non-tributaries is now calculated from all owned areas instead of just the home area.

So long, Taiwan.

EDIT: Also, the improvements to Aristocratic ideas make it look a lot more viable.

- Military Traditions moved to Second place in Aristocratic Ideas.
- The Aristocratic Idea Local Nobility now gives global autonomy and yearly absolutism.
- The Aristocratic Idea Serfdom increased to 33% Manpower.
- The Aristocratic Idea international Diplomacy now also gives +1 free leaders.
- The Aristocratic Idea noble Noble Resilience replaced with Noble Connections (+20% mercenary pool).
- Aristocratic Finisher is now +1 leader siege.

Noble Resilience is a wash, of course. International Diplomacy giving an extra leader slot in addition to the free diplomat isn't bad. Local Nobility sounds like (depending on how much it gives) may be worth it on its own for the yearly Absolutism/autonomy tick.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 13, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

White Coke posted:

What does this mean exactly? Greater penalties from non-tributary neighbors?

Previously, you could dodge the penalty to mandate from having non-tributaries on your border by changing your capital to an "island region", that is, an island like Ryuku or Taiwan that has no bordering provinces (save for the ones on the island). This is because just like when the game figures out where and whether or not an Institution can spawn in your territory, it can only do so in your "home region", provinces with a direct land connection to your capital.

Before this fix, you could transfer your capital to one of these islands and expand to your heart's content because you'd never have to worry about the bordering non-tributary penalty to mandate. Amusingly, this meant that the ideal capital for China was Taiwan (or any island, for that matter).

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Started playing aaaaaaand it looks like the diplomacy slot issue still isn't fixed despite the patch notes claiming otherwise.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I thought that's what this was referring to:

- AI no longer cares about potential allies/marriages being above diplomatic relations limit.

But it still seems to give a -50 penalty to alliance/marriage offers.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

QuarkJets posted:

From Paradox:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru.../#post-22874668

There hasn't been a player-reserved relation slot since 2014.

Then why is it so much harder to get alliances now?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
How are you supposed to do diplomacy, then, if this is how they intend it to work? The only method I know of to break another country's alliances is through war. Royal Marriages (sometimes) break with the passing of a monarch. If you're a small nation, you don't have the power to force an alliance to break and you certainly wouldn't want to do it to someone you intend to ally. Time is also precious when you're a small nation and big nations want to gobble you up so you can't just wait decades and hope a relation slot frees up.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm taking advantage of the Siberian Frontier as well and MAN is this so much less tedious than it would be without it. Only advice I could offer that hasn't been is that you want your country to start on or near the North/South continental divide so you can either get the On Two Continents age bonus immediately or very soon. Other than that--expand aggressively early. You want to make sure to get to the outer edges of the Aztec and Inca lands as early as you can. It's not a do-or-die thing, but it's just ideal so you can take the greatest advantage of the higher colonial development age bonus, essentially doubling the development of all those 1/1/1 dev jungle provinces.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I started in Panama. I also started as Norse--you get that nice Discipline bonus from Tyr and I thought that For Odin would be a "pie-in-the-sky" goal for this run. Yeah--it's gonna be no problem, I think, if I actually want to go through with it. You probably want a Development and maybe a Missionary in your ideas. I threw a colonist in there but now that I'm actually in it I've realized it's totally unnecessary. The colonists from Exploration and the ridiculous exponential growth from Siberian frontier are more than enough.

For culture the old wisdom was to pick the culture of a major colonizer...but honestly, you're probably going to outpace them. Pick whatever you like or what might help for an achievement (like For Odin or, hell, the Zoroastrian one).

Just to put the explosive growth into perspective--I started with five garbage provinces centered on Panama. In 1521, I'm an Empire with 1064 development and the third-ranked great power--and I'm pretty sure I could have expanded more aggressively.

On starting on the Gulf Coast: I feel like getting that On Two Continents bonus is pretty important to taking advantage of Siberian Frontiers. As far as I can tell, you can't rival New World minors when you have Western Tech so you can't get the age bonus for Humiliating one. But then again--maybe you can leap frog through the Aztec and Mayan region quicker than I imagine.

South America at the Caribbean Node could work. It's not far from Panama and it's close to Muisica and the Incan nations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
gently caress, I didn't consider Norse/Manchu. And yeah, ultimately I suppose the dev bonus doesn't REALLY matter. Though it might help with having bigger banners.

Unless I'm mistaken, you should probably relocate to one of the more prosperous states as soon as it's feasible. Mexico, maybe. I did Bogota in mine (with the colonial development bonuses, it was the highest value state and already about half my culture.)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Going Norse Manchu in Panama :xd:

Looks like I am going to buy the expansion simply because doing this New World Shenanigans (tm) sounds like something fun and different.

Do you guys go diplo focus to afford this?

It looks like you can do First Come, First Served; For Odin!; and From Humble Origins all in one go....

:stare:

You don't necessarily have to go diplo focus immediately, but it will become painfully clear when that moment comes.

And yes, the growth becomes explosive and ridiculous. Though I'm not sure if it's possible to do both First Come and From Humble Origins at the same time--or does the cost for tech group not count against the cost for the achievement?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It's possible for the AI to give you a bad time once you've hit the holy poo poo cancer stage, but it seems rare. In one of my runs (went a little frustratingly hairy) a giant France decided to invade with everything they had and gently caress me. They had maaaaybe twenty less troops than me and of course much better ideas all around--I think they had at least +35% morale. And I'm not great at optimizing economy so just dropping a shitload of mercs wasn't really an option.

But for the most part, they aren't a problem.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
How do you get renaissance in the Americas before the colonizers come--do you just keep developing a province or is there something else to it?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

QuarkJets posted:

I don't think anyone was saying they're funky, someone was just wondering why they always got only cavalry (the answer is that you get whatever proportion of units gets you as close to your cavalry ratio as possible, which is probably 50% while you're probably only running like 5-20% normally). In the worst case you can get free, strictly-better cavalry that don't cost manpower to build or reinforce.

I feel like I must be doing something wrong. I merc up so that I have 40 infantry and 20 cavalry and raise manchu banners and it's still pure cavalry. And yes--the tooltip says my ratio is 50%.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mygna posted:

The ratio isn't cavalry/infantry, it's cavalry/(infantry + cavalry) - you only have 33% in your example.

After doing a little napkin algebra, I realized that I always thought the ratio was meant to be a percentage of infantry--not the total of infantry and cavalry. I would need to up my cavalry to equal my infantry to get infantry banners. Doesn't seem worth it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Caustic Soda posted:

I'd say that curtailing the range of tributaries is the way to go. Tributaries in odd places are the one key problem with the MIng as-is, and most of what needs solving. I don't really get the complaints about Ming being stable as if that's a Ming-specific issue. I could say the exact same thing for the Ottomans, Russia, the Timurids and France. Playing a small state close to Ming is much, much more doable than getting a game off the ground as Serbia, Novgorod, Tabarestan, Savoy, or similarly-sized countries.

I strongly disagree with the idea that there should be Ming-specific disasters and events cropping up all the time. A one-time or two-time disaster like the civil wars England/Castile have? That could be fine. But Mandate of Heaven just got rid of the terrible, unfun nonsense Ming had been pilloried with since Divine Wind back in EU3. I'd really rather not have that kind of thing introduced. As I see it, the entire point of EU is to be an alternate history simulator. Trying to be (pseudo)-determinstic was dubious when it happened back in EU2, I see no compelling reason Paradox should move back to that kind of game model.

The tributary range limit seems like it's something that should have been implemented in the first or second patch after Mandate as a band-aid. Its long absence is so damning that we should expect more.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fintilgin posted:

What's the cost of Siberian Frontiers now?

RIP American Frontiers. :patriot:

EDIT: 200 points, apparently.

Killjoys. Just because you made a situationally broken Idea, doesn't mean you have to give it a ridiculous cost. Let people have fun.

EDIT: And I can't seem to revert to the fun, broken version. Great.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 20, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Schizotek posted:

Having all of China be the same culture group is stupid, increasingly so since they stopped basing culture groups on language groups. Breaking all that up into chunks could help reign in their absurd finances a bit.

e:

Your views on Chinese history are strange in light of your Korean expertise, as the only entity that matches the unified China description besides the Mongols was the Tang, and even then there were smaller but still powerful "chinese" kingdoms that they didn't control.

Breaking up the cultural groups would do a lot, yeah. Maybe give it back in the form of some kind of special cultural union thing for one of the later Mandate reforms.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

I Love You! posted:

make tributaries give resting AE

Oh, that's a fun idea :D

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Is there a way to change hotkeys? I'm playing on my laptop and the game seems to believe that the buttons for adjusting volume are the hotkeys for several things including, but not limited, to splitting units off of armies.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Wiz has done some great things, I wonder if he can come up with something to fix that mess....

I have confidence that, given the changes in Utopia, Wiz's approach of focusing on one or two things each expansion and trying to get it solid will at least improve the system over time.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
And I finally completed my First Come, First Served game. I don't think I'll be going to For Odin because Europe is a nightmare of super-nations.

Odd stuff in my run:
--Ottomans have a higher forcelimit/manpower than the Ming.
--Austria has been reduced to a rump state in the Netherlands while Venice is a substantial Great Power
--Itty Bitty Greece has persisted on the island of Cyprus for like most of the game.
--Poor Muscovy.
--France ate Spain who ate Portugal--which was good for me because that kicked Portugal out of Europe and they held the last bit of land in the Americas, Bermuda. France, being defender of the faith and having some -ridiculous force limit, left me just waiting for an opportunity to strike for a while. So I ate Scotland.
--I only had the fourth largest force limit at around 220.

Just a tip if anyone wants to try to do this achievement: Colonize Bermuda. Because you can't forge a claim on it, you can't Threaten War for it so you can end up in trouble later on when you're painting the last bits of the Americas.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Question: Can the Papal States restore the Roman Empire?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Well, in my last game, it got eaten by Scandinavia and the PLC so...

Maybe a player can take advantage of the Russia DLC stuff? They're reasonably powerful.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Any advice for trying to take down Muscovy as a Russian minor? It's rough going. I seem to either bite it early or get pretty strong--but not quick enough to outpace Muscovy's explosive growth so that they're basically impossible to tackle when the Ottomans have started breathing down my neck.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
After getting a little frustrated with Ryazan, I decided to just make a fun/stupid short term goal that, uh, seems to be paying off. See, Tver, like Ryazan, starts off with no heir and is Rurikovich, but they're very willing to do a Royal Marriage.

So I kept restarting until I managed to win a war for my claim on their throne. It wasn't hard--Ryazan has slightly more forcelimit than Tver and combined with a Boyar general your troops are probably going to pull through. The issue isn't even taking them AND Odyev at once. It's mostly that there was more than a few times where they ended up in a Personal Union with Muscovy before I could seal the deal!

But it seems like it's working? Tver isn't too hard to please with development and then you've got a subject that's rolling around with 6-8 forcelimit--and Muscovy doesn't get it, particularly if you Ally Muscovy.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Why is the improve relations bonus so important? Doesn't it just make improving relations go a bit faster? Always seemed like one of the more useless bonuses to me, but the way you people talk about it in this thread it's one of the most valuable.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So does that mean that Diplomatic ideas has a bit of an edge over influence ideas now--or is that immediate Aggressive Expansion discount too valuable when combined with the diplo annex bonus?

More just an issue of which to take first?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I painted this beautiful map in my Kinslayer game (started as Ryazan). I hope you like it.

Lately I've taken to enveloping my foes like an amoeba to jealously insure that no, this will be my tasty meal. It also slows institution development, potentially. I discovered the hard way that if you're nestled in a little hate-envelope, you're going to be getting those institutions looooooong after the rest of Europe. I'd only gotten Colonialism and the Printing Press perhaps a decade or two before Global trade appeared.

Also, yes, Mega-Yarkand is a Ming tributary and the AI seems to be going for the Shahanshah achievement down in Persia.

On a side note, I was hoping to get the Breaking the Yoke achievement this run, but the Ottomans nabbed Crimea. I think I'm just going to have to eat as much of Europe as I can as I wait for Janissary Decadence to fire.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So, I'm in the last century of my Ryazan run. I think I'll go until the end of the game. I've gotten the Breaking the Yoke achievement but Kinslayer...Tragically, Bohemia become part of my dynasty. I'm going to try and eradicate (or union them, if I'm that lucky) them before the game ends, but they are huge. Either way, I figure that by being the last russian state standing, I followed the spirit of the achievement, so whatever, I still did what I set out to do: make Ryazan beat the snot out of Muscovy with my dumb Tverian personal union tactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Allyn posted:

You could also try turning them revolutionary I guess, just get them to 20 WE and taking out loans and then white peace

Oh, thanks! I hadn't thought of this.

• Locked thread