Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

Just had the biggest loving anticlimax ever. Playing as Von Habsburg Poland, both Austria and I have claimed the throne of Hungary, who are governed by a 67-year-old king with no heir, and broken our alliance with them, massing our troops on the Hungarian border either for the truce timer to run out so we can declare war on Hungary for our claim or for the succession war between Poland and Austria on monarch death. I've got enough money to keep my army maintenance full but it's a tight squeeze and I'm trying threatening Austria's allies into breaking the alliance (excluding myself) but they've still got enough for it to be a full on mega war.

Then the fucker in Hungary somehow manages to squeeze out an heir two months before shuffling off his mortal coil and Austria and I send our armies home before sheepishly re-allying Hungary.

If you want to press your claim for a PU you're gonna have to truce break. Five years is plenty of time to find an heir, even if it has to come from events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqmMJF6xWto

1.19 no exploits Ryukyu WC. This is good stuff.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

deathbagel posted:

I wish he had the whole thing recorded and uploaded in real time, I'd watch it from start to finish!

Uh, that guy apparently made this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/5kyik3/ryukyu_onetag_world_conquest_119/

People started calling him out in the comments, pointing out weird stuff that might mean he was cheating. He deleted the thread :geno: That's pretty suspicious.

I'd like to try one of these Ryukyu runs sometime, in any case. At least it'll be good practice and then later I can roll back to a patch where it was easier (with or without exploits) and try it for real.

Elman fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 30, 2016

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

e: Wrong thread, I'm dumb, carry on.

Elman fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 30, 2016

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Node posted:

gently caress. I can still get An Iberian Wedding, can't I?

Yep! Have fun.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

If a CoR spawns in a one-province minor nation, you can just fabricate a claim, declare war on them and force religion which will flip their capital province, that's the easiest way to erase a CoR.

It doesn't have to be an OPM, the capital of a small nation will work too. But yeah, it takes luck.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Beamed posted:

The Ottoman Empire or Castille are good first choices. Portugal is a very laid back game if you want to explore the colonial/trade portions of the game more.

I'd definitely say the Ottomans. Castille is easy but a new player might have trouble expanding and dealing with France. You can't go wrong with the Ottomans, just take Humanist ideas and do whatever you want.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Fun fact, playing a custom nation in a CK2 converted game opens up all the crazy heresies to play as. But that might screw up the reformation. Who knows!

Does that converter get updated regularly when the game gets patched? Seems like it'd be a major pain to keep working.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

The CB can be pretty great for AE reduction - you're taking some very high-value provinces from some very angry people, and even as the Ottomans, a coalition war can be bad news. It doesn't make any sense that Europe is less angry with you because it's a holy war, but EUIV

I wouldn't normally recommend going Humanist first, but for a new player? Sure. They're not gonna blob super hard, which means they don't need Religion's superior CB (fabricating claims and the Ottomans' missions should be enough). Managing rebels, however, could be a big problem.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Right, well, that doesn't really solve the problem, because eg. taking your cores back from a Christian neighbour should be way less threatening than declaring a jihad against all Christians. And, it's not just holy way - reconquest should scare other people you have cores on, for instance. And you could have a middle ground for countries who you have a different CB on (at least if that CB allows conquest), perhaps.

But sure, I'm not saying it's necessarily something that's particularly important, just that it's the fix for "holy war makes heathens less scared" that makes sense given the rationale for CBs reducing AE in the first place. People are less scared of gains you take in a CB war because you're not just attacking whoever, you're attacking people with reason. But that should be more worrying for people who you also have a good reason to attack!

This all makes sense, but if they decide to go that way I'd at least like to see the AE reduction from cores/claims take effect when they're not the wargoal. It's kind of weird that for example if you get attacked, win the war and force your enemy to return your cores, you'll take full AE from them (so in a situation like that you're better off taking land you have no cores or claims to).

James The 1st posted:

How does navy combat work? I assume lots of big ships are still the best by far?

You don't wanna make one huge stack of ships like you used to, since they added combat width to naval combat. Spread out your ships and send in reinforcements just like you would in land combat. Also I think heavies take up a lot of combat width, so while they're still great they'll lose to galleys in an inland sea.

Elman fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 4, 2017

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Just remember you lose all your imperial authority when you pass a reform (which takes around 50-70 AI). Don't go higher than that while adding land.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Don't build forts to stop tiny stacks like that, or at least be aware that it's not the right move. For the cost of maintaining that fort you could just have 5 infantry running around capping it all back. Annoying as gently caress, but such is the current meta.

If only the "auto defend against rebels" button was "auto defend territory".

Or you know, forts weren't stupidly expensive.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

awesmoe posted:

Do missions like http://www.eu4wiki.com/Ottoman_missions#Conquer_Levant succeed if a vassal holds some of the provinces?

Nope. You can take them for yourself, then release/give them to a vassal, though.

That said, don't be afraid to cancel that kind of mission. They'll usually come back by the time the truce ends, and the main reason to take them in the first place is that they give you free claims.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Anyone played the Aztecs lately and have any hot tips? Figured I'd give Sunset Invasion another go now that Institutions exist, add you can gimmick Feudalism in the new world if you need to.

The most important part is managing your truces. Tech is up to you, get military tech as needed, beeline for Exploration ideas if you want to. Personally I think it's better not to tech up at all and spend all those points on development, since colonizing a few extra provinces at the start isn't going to make a difference in the long run. But either way is fine.

Whether you use the feudalism bug or not, don't expand too much after you reform. Your first priority should be catching up in tech and that's going to take a while. Always have three +3 advisors once you can afford them, and always be colonizing. Don't do something crazy like going way over your colony limit though, you don't really need to blob. Central America alone should give you a big powerbase so it's all about catching up in tech before the 1700s so you can then start going after Europe.

And stick to Nahuatl of course, it's super good.

Elman fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 16, 2017

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Going Catholic could also give you extra missionaries from the Counter-Reformation. You definitely want Religious ideas asap, either way.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The Insect Court posted:

Finally got around to trying EUV, coming from CK2. At first it didn't really click, but I think by now I've been able to get a handle on most of the elements. Feels a little hollow missing the more personal narrative that CK2 presented. Can't even become an immortal satan-worshipping sister-loving Messalian who hears the voice of Jesus, can eat people to consume their power, and who spends most of his reign seducing everything wearing a skirt when he's not putting a horse on his council. All the stuff you could do with rulers made it feel almost like an RPG, but that and all the goofy stuff in included just made it a more engrossing experience.

That said EUIV is great as more of a 'straight' strategy game. Are there any small but important non-obvious things you should know going in? Like in CK2, how important it is to keep your spymaster incredibly happy.

They're very different games, I think. To me, CK2 feels more like a roleplaying sim, while gameplay-wise EU4 feels a lot better. A lot of mechanics that are obscure in CK2 are much more intuitive and solid in EU4: alliances, truces, war, inheritances...

As for stuff you should know: I don't think the tutorial's been updated to address territories and states, and they're a pretty big deal. Basically the map is divided in areas with 3-5 provinces each and when you hold provinces in one of those that area will either be a territory or a state of your empire.

The thing is territorial provinces cost half to core, but their autonomy can't be lower than 75%. If you turn a territory into a state and pay the 2nd half of the coring cost that minimum autonomy drops to 0%. States cost maintenance money (the further they are from your capital the higher it gets) and there's a limit to how many you can have, so the idea is if you want to make a massive empire you can --but after a certain point your land will be less profitable. Trade makes up for this though.

In short: after you conquer land make sure to add it to a state with the button to the right of your province screen and then full core it, or you won't benefit as much from it.

Also unlike CK2 you wanna pick a big country for your first few games. The Ottomans are probably the best choice, but you could easily go with others like France, Muscovy or Castile.

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 17, 2017

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

Can someone explain to me when it is correct to add things to trade companies versus keeping them as states? My last game as Castille I added everything I could to trade companies but I'm guessing there is a better rule of thumb.

Bear in mind state maintenance goes up the further you get from your capital, so creating states overseas is usually a bad idea.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The Bramble posted:

This got posted on reddit and I feel like it belongs here too

It belongs in the OP, honestly.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Eej posted:

I hate it when you're going for any achievement that requires coring all of Iberia and then France dips a toe into it.

Actually, the way areas and regions work now an area can only belong to one region. Which means the entire Basque area belongs to Iberia, so you're gonna be fighting France anyway:

You also need the Azores, Madeira and the Canary islands, but not the Balearic islands (they are Italian). It's kinda dumb.

Elman fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 21, 2017

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

MrBling posted:

I decided to try my hand at the African Power achievement, but I don't know if I'm aggressive enough as a player to actually be able to conquer everything.

This is how I'm doing so far:

Lundu is my vassal that I'm going to feed the remains of Mutapa to before annexing them. Luckily, Spain is the only coloniser that seems to have cared about Africa and they stopped after the Ivory Coast. Granted, I did my best to close off the Cape and also grab those two tiny islands near Benin.

I've also spent quite a lot of monarch points to seed institutions but I feel like it kinda evens out because you get some turbopowered provinces out of it. Printing Press recently spawned and I'm working on seeding it, though having to first finish Economic so I could get away from tribal kingdom status did slow it down a bit.

This is how I was doing around that year in my (successful) run. It's obviously from a few patches ago, but still:

...Yes, that's it. I think I'd colonized Cape by then, but I played it really slow and only expanded by diplo vassalizing until after I westernized. You don't need to rush early on.

Assuming you're up to date in tech I think you're doing fine. You'll need to conquer fast from now on, but admin efficiency will help a lot. Plus you'll soon have access to Mutapa's mines and the Zanzibar node (plus Cape), which should be a big economy boost that my run lacked.

Elman fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 29, 2017

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Koramei posted:

This might be interesting to anyone considering getting Three Mountains: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/three-mountains-as-horde.996038/

Apparently it doesn't (currently) check that you're still Ryukyu, as long as you started as them. So you can vassalize a Jurchen, release and play as them, and then just use them to get the world conquest with instead. Which shouldn't be nearly so difficult since they get razing and some of the best national ideas in the game. Alternatively you could do it as Timurids to Mughals, or Ming etc- the same principle applies- as long as you start as Ryukyu, you're eligible.

I've been wanting to try a Three Mountains run when there's some horrendous exploit and this seems to fit the bill pretty well.

Eh. I'm okay with abusing exploits for Ryukyu but at that point you may as well SAM the achievement. You're not really playing Ryukyu anymore :colbert:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

420 Gank Mid posted:

Also you can literally never lower your maintenance while colonizing or your 0 morale garrisons will get stackwiped

At half maintenance you can still easily defeat natives, even early on in the game. The more military tech you unlock the easier it gets. Or you can just spend a couple of military points wiping them out. It's pretty low effort, I think it's definitely worth it (at least early on).

Or you could just play France so you can trade with the natives and still have 0% native uprising chance I suppose.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

MrBling posted:

Ugh, this african power run is reminding me why I rarely get beyond 1700 in my campaigns. Every war turns into a huge slog and you have to micromanage every part of your empire.
When you have to keep an eye on your main war in Morrocco and also make sure the Ottomans don't sneak in on the other side of the country, not to mention all the tiny naval invasions it just gets too much.
Having army missions like the naval missions would be nice. Just being able to tell an army to patrol a certain area for enemy armies would be so helpful.

The message setting that pauses the game every time a unit completes its orders is really helpful for huge empires like this. It sounds really awkward on paper but it's not that intrusive, I only started using it for my WC but now I can't play without it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

awesmoe posted:

What am I doing wrong/how am I so bad at this game, I thought coalitions were supposed to stop being a thing once you got powerful enough? In this game every motherfucker I've ever looked at joins a coalition the second they come off truce
(ottomans, going for wc, 1630, 650 force limit, 5700 great power points and next is commonwealth with 1k)

e: literally everyone in europe, about half of india, and about half of africa will coalition me if they have the chance

This is how I was doing in my WC run, around the same year (I finished with 10 years to spare):

I think you're doing better, I had more stuff in Asia but you've eaten a large chunk of Europe. And I wasn't in America or Indonesia by that point, but you are, meaning you have more CBs and more room to expand and spread AE around. It should totally be doable but you can't let coalitions slow you down. You should reach critical mass soon enough so they'll stop being an issue, but in the meantime keep attacking people on cooldown and try to get started with China. Europe, China and India are the highest development areas in the world so coring them will take a while. At least your Ming popped though, I had to break mine.

I hope you took religious ideas, I didn't and the 1600s were tough since I wasted way too many diplo points in peace deals. Plus converting your stuff should help with unrest.

Things will kick into high gear around 1680 when you get higher Admin Efficiency, Imperialism and Client States. Don't be discouraged, you can conquer a lot in the last 150 years, just make sure to stay near 99% overextension at all times. You're on the right track. But more importantly, what the gently caress is going on with Delhi?

Elman fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 11, 2017

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Chump Farts posted:

How do you guys get that much that fast and not go over 100 OE? In my TU -> Prussia game I have to take decent breaks when I do 100 per war.

By playing the Ottomans.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Tsyni posted:

When you pass one of the last imperial reforms in the hre, everyone that votes for it becomes your vassal and doesn't count against your Diplo cap. Yes it's overpowered.

In this case they're doing this by 1500 is because there's an exploit that lets you gain extra Imperial Authority every time you add provinces to the empire. But yeah, even if in a normal HRE run you become hilariously overpowered the moment you revoke the privilegia, so a WC is definitely attainable. You just feed your endless vassals all the land and eventually use the last reform to annex them all for free.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Are there any other dev studios that do achievements as well as Paradox? I thought they were the most retarded thing until I played CK2 and EU4

I thought CK2's weren't great. I finished my Irish -> Britannia run then looked through the list and there's barely any achievements that guide you the way EU4 does. Most of them are the usual "something weird happened" stuff, or character-specific ones. Those are good and all, but I really like using EU4's achievements as suggestions on what to play. There isn't even a Reconquista achievement in CK2.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Maybe he's saving to build a channel through Italy's neck? :v:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Senor Dog posted:

EU4 is better by far because my wars don't end when my king dies

That's the thing. A lot of mechanics (wars, alliances, truces, CBs, trade, foreign relations, ...) are so much simpler and more intuitive in EU4. Yeah there's a bunch of numbers to juggle around and they could probably get rid of some, but overall things are simpler, and as far as gameplay is concerned it seems like the better game to me. CK2 feels like more of a simulation, and it does a great job at it, but sometimes I just want to conquer the Balkans without micromanaging my court.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

skasion posted:

CK2 doesn't feel like a simulation in the slightest, it's completely wacky nonsense with the very vaguest veneer of medieval history on top. It's like 1066 And All That come to life. The one aspect of CK2 that I would really like to see in EU4 at this point is that the major players in your kingdom aren't necessarily abstracted, but are actual characters who must factor into the player's calculations. Be a great way to touch up the estate mechanic if they ever felt the need.

I just meant "more" of one :v: When I play CK2 I feel compelled to play slower and more methodically, thinking about the consequences of my actions in more realistic terms than just game mechanics. That may just be cause I'm more experienced at EU4, but they feel like very different games to me.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I hope you accepted.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I would like a "just win this war for me please" button that automates your armies if you outnumber your enemies by a factor of ten or more

That might be a bit much, but I'd love if you could set a few units to automatically defend your land against enemy sieges just like you can with rebels. Things got really annoying now that forts are very inefficient and the AI learned how to carpet siege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Playstation 4 posted:

Pdox really has a hard-on with making things take hard limited resources.

Yeah honestly at 50 mil this seems like it'd only be useful in a world conquest.

• Locked thread