Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

sudo rm -rf posted:

I can't seem to get the Endonym Empire mod to work.

Aw, I was hoping that this would be a mod that would change the names of nations with empire level governments to "____ Empire" or some such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Guys I only have money for one National Monuments pack, which one do I get?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So I was trying to get the Sultan of Rum achievement before Common Sense launched, which was a bad idea as the save obviously didn't transfer. But its so much easier now when you can snake up through Circassia, the Golden Horde and take Moscow in a single war without getting over 100% overextension or much aggressive expansion at all. Nothing like strangling the Russian menace in the grave.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Is Ming really that difficult to beat? Admittedly my last Manchu game was long ago (before AoW even) but I remember their armies being routinely decimated by hordes. Even a small stack could do a lot damage.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

YF-23 posted:

Is the Crimson Empire a reference to something? It feels like it is but I'm not getting it.

Its where the Crimson King holds his court, obviously.

New mission: "Conquer Midworld".

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You know what would be a neat DLC idea? A challenge creator. Like how achievements are meant to get an in-game browser to show you which ones you are eligible for during a playthrough, make it so that players can create custom challenges - IE as X tag conquer Y region - and share them. Or you can share custom setups without going to the Steam workshop.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

drat the Commonwealth is ridiculous. They've expanded so far east that Persia was able to westernize off of them. You'd think I'd be safe from Polish Hussars in India but nope.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

OPM Siberian tribe has managed to invade and take over half of Japan. Honestly I'm pretty impressed.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So I'm doing a Manchu game, and I don't have Cossocks, yet I keep getting events that add or remove horde unity (Manchus shouldn't be treated as steppe hordes at this point in history but whatever). This shouldn't affect anything right? But I had a huge uprising anyways, and the "Warriors Don't Read Books" event popped, even though I was at war.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't think it should be possible to get a pretender uprising after a different pretender has already pressed his claim. The event window's flavor text talked about the pains of succession, I guess, but that seems kind of covered by the Civil War that preceded it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm finding it difficult to wage war on anyone because everyone has a <3 attitude towards me and I just can't find it in me to break it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

To be fair to Paradox, Russian culture doesn't exist in real life either.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If you don't strangle Russia in the cradle you're already doing it wrong as the Ottomans. Its actually easier than you think, I did a Sultan of Rum run and it only took a two wars to take Moscow. After that you can make a vassal out of either Novgorod of Muscovy and have them expand east for you.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What are crossable straits supposed to represent now anyway? It's not like soldiers are swimming across the 9-mile Straits of Gibraltar. I mean the distance means the crossing wouldn't take very long by boat, so maybe the idea is the army requisitions local boats, I guess? I know it's all supposed to be an abstraction, but what's being abstracted?

Well you wouldn't need to really be a naval power to transport soldiers over such a small distance. Having a fleet of ships dedicated to transporting an army represents a much larger logistical support base.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There should be a Dragon Blade achievment for conquering China as the new Rome tag.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So I thought this was neat: someone on Reddit posted about the Chinese EU4 community, translating a bunch of posts from one of their forums: https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/4h6euj/front_page_of_chinese_eu4_subreddit/

I really want to try their Asia rebalance mod, even though my Mandarin is pretty amateur level. It looks like they added a bunch of new provinces, events and tags (including a bunch of aborigine states in Australia Aozhou).

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Koramei posted:

i feel this one so hard

I saw a post where they debate the source of "Spain is not the Emperor".

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

IDK, maybe abuse map sharing and no CB wars.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

One thing I don't really understand about states is how sometimes it seems I don't need to make permanent cores when I turn territories into states and sometimes I do. If you have a permanent claim on the area does it just automatically upgrade the core type? I'm not sure what's happening.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Another annoyance: going to war, having a fleet on auto explore get attacked, retreat back to port, then repeatedly try to go back on its mission, only to get run into the enemy stationed right outside. Over and over again. I can't cancel the mission, right clicking to move to the province doesn't work, even firing the explorer didn't stop it. I just had to accept the loss of that fleet.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I kinda wish the protectorate system had some qualifications to it (culture based maybe?). It feels like I'm punished for Westernizing when I can no longer create vassals and annex them. I'm pretty admin point starved right now and can't even use all these permanent claims I have on everything as a result.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

1. Get mission: "Subjugate X".
2. Ask X politely to be protectorate, they agree.
3. Fail mission.

Wow.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I've been one of the people wanting a new tech system that's more flexible, but this seems a little odd. If you're playing a non European power how much can you really affect some of these factors? Like an Indian or Chinese state could easily get the manufactories and trade ones, I guess, but why is the colonialism one limited to Europeans?

Like the current westernization system doesn't make historically and feels weird mechanically, but at least as a player I have control over it. This feels more random.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

StarMinstrel posted:

I love that this expansion is gonna oust every person that does not know about "La Charte Des Droits De l'Homme".

Thomas Paine was the original MRA.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Pagan is because they know Genghis Khan was the last Roman Emperor.

Why would Temujin want associate himself with a bunch of amateurs?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Even if the provinces have really high development, the Renaissance won't spread there because they're not in Europe. The only way the Renaissance can spread outside Europe is by colonial nations or adjacent provinces.

Uh, apparently you can get institutions even without bordering Euro countries? You can test it yourself. Play Ming, wait for Renaissance to spawn, click on Beijing's institutions tab. Watch as the Renaissance bar goes up when you develop the province. Yep.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Does the amount of Institution gain you get from developing a province scale with how expensive the development is? It makes intuitive sense to dump points into, say, Beijing to make that your tech center but since dev cost grows pretty quickly it might be better to take a smaller province and start your Renaissance in that.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Okay, yea, I really like this system then. It's not really gimmicky either - you're still spending monarch points like you would with Westernization, but now its to develop your nation, and you don't need to always capture South Africa. Plus, since its a ticking malus, the tech modifier isn't quite so bad.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Poil posted:

They stack. +50% from colonialism and you get the, say, +15% from not having printing press for a nice +65%. :shepicide:

Sure, but in the old system you could start out with a 65% cost penalty, this one ticks up to it. You have time to course correct.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, this is cool and good.

Especially because there is now a map trading/stealing function. Much better & more involved than just magic map discovery.

On the other hand, I'm not buying Mare Nostrum just for maps.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh wow, how long has there been unique text for circumnavigating the globe as the Chinese? That's a nice touch.

I guess Gavin Menzies was right afterall...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

A development map that uses the R, G and B channels to separately indicate military, production and administrative development :2bong:

NATO counters for development. Don't ask how, just do it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

There should be an achievement for playing through a pacifist campaign, you know, without starting any wars, never demanding land or vassals, just chilling and pumping up your development and inspiring your neighbours to lay down their arms and welcome love into their hearts.

"Thanks for playing, JESUS."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So I've never really played Austria before, despite hundreds of hours of play time. HRE membership is based on the capital right? If I take Paris, add it to the empire, then return it, will all of France follow or what?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Thanks. Its a moot point since the English nabbed Paris first and won't transfer occupation.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

China mechanic screen was shown in the stream. Historically the Ming Dynasty was referred to to as the HRE of the Orient.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea I don't tend to watch too many of the dev streams but this game is amazing. India is just constant total war all the time. The AI Ming actually put up a pretty good fight when it was invaded on all 3 sides by different players but has collapsed. With Dai Viet, Qing + Korea and Japan all trying to get their fill of the remains, it looks like a thunderdome to dwarf the one in India is going to get underway soon.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

TorakFade posted:

My take on it is that the HRE is a punishment inflicted upon earth by Satan himself and the only sane thing to do with it is dismantle it, set it on fire and piss over its charred remains

But I might be a tad bitter

Incidentally, I quite enjoyed Candide, Monsieur Voltaire.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Xinder posted:

I've never successfully flipped religion without an event or decision. How am I to go about it if say I want to run a Qara Qoyunlu game as orthodox?

I know I need to get religious rebels going so I can concede to them, but a previous game I tried to religion flip had me staring at separatist rebels and they never turned into religious which was frustrating.

Start to convert a province in order to piss off X religious minority, turn down missionary maintenance so conversion never makes progress.

e: as for mercs, I only use them in the first century of the game or so. I always end up getting loans but if you get to around 10 of them you really need to take time and burn off the debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I posted this on the Paradox forum wrt the new China mechanics. Probably pretty premature to offer feedback but hey:

quote:

Granted, without a Dev Diary or ingame experience I do not know everything about this system, but from what I have seen I would argue for a few tweaks:

1. Like it was said earlier in the thread, you really should only be allowed to take the Mandate if you own either a historic capital of China (Beijing, Nanjing, Kaifeng, Luoyang, Chang'an, Hangzhou, am I forgetting any?) or if you own X number of provinces/states/development within the China super region. Perhaps you could still war to remove Ming's mandate to push them towards collapse, but it seems weird that Da Viet can suddenly assume the tributary system and imperial bureaucracy (I assume the edicts represent this?) without leaving Vietnam.

2. Instead of leaving the Qing as an unique decision for Manchus, overhaul it so whoever gains the Mandate becomes a new tag where they assume a new dynastic title (maybe a decision where you can pick from one of several options?), which in turn gives you permanent claims over all of China. So if you're the Mongols you can become the new Yuan. Since this represents a level of sinicization on the part of the conquerors, this decision could be tied into becoming Confucian.

3. Maybe the Chinese culture groups can become accepted by whoever gains the mandate, to ease conquest and rule. Right now, Manchus are within the Chinese culture group to make the Qing work better, but really they would have cultural aliens with their own faith, language, customs, etc. It also makes it harder, as pointed out in the stream, for the Manchus to gain Imperial Splendor from controlling all of their cultural group provinces, which isn't exactly fair.

Some of this might already be represented in game but the basic thrust is turning the Manchu -> Qing mechanics into a more dynamic system that is universal to East Asia.

• Locked thread