Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

gfanikf posted:

What is currently the best country and time period to get used to the game mechanics with (ie like Ireland in CK2)?

I like Ottomans. You have a really good progression of people to beat up (Albania -> Byzantium -> Turkish Minors -> Mamluks) that'll get you comfortable with war, and when it's all over you're huge as gently caress and can do anything you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

also, gonna take a moment to boast:

it is I, the 0.01%.

I wonder how many players that is?

0.01% of them

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Frontspac posted:

I don't know why, but I think it might be because they have claims there.

Pretty sure that's exactly it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Zettace posted:

So I bought a couple DLCs (not including Common Sense) during the sale and came back to the game for the first time in months. However, I've noticed that the building slots lock is in my game even without buying the Common Sense DLC. How do I overcome this lock without the DLC?

You should be able to build without Common Sense. Have you tried it in provinces with high development?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Nah it the gender assignment doesn't matter, the only way the Iberian Wedding works is with Castile as overlord and Aragon as junior partner. For it to trigger, you need the rulers to be a male/female pair and which is which isn't relevant

Which makes sense since, you know, historically Castille had the Queen.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
e: i'm dumb

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Back To 99 posted:

Huh, i don't understand why are you loving administrative ideas so much. Can't really see any great bonuses in there? And quantity also seems bad if you already have plenty of manpower, compared to other military ideas that will make you win more battles and lose less men.

-25% coring cost

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Catholic.

It might have something to do with me showing up 50 years after the leagues were started?

Pretty sure only the non-dominant faith gets the CB to start the war.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I wish there was a way to see WHY the AI hates you in the empire.

You can already do this though? Hover over the elector in the HRE view.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

VDay posted:

Nice! Am I understanding the league wars mechanic correctly in that you have to be part of the HRE to take part in the war? How'd you go about that as Sweden, just take some of Denmark's lands and then join up? Thinking about going for the Sweden achievements once the patch comes out for realsies.

Your capital needs to be in Europe.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

So non-catholic countries can join before the reformation/league war? Something seems off about a a Serbian orthodox state joining the HRE.

The Ottomans fought for the protestants IRL

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

He is asking if an orthodox country can join the HRE; not one of the league sides.

whoops!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
If your nation has +legitimacy as an idea, and you switch to a republic, do you get +tradition instead?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Trujillo posted:

Except for when you're attacked by a coalition. Then you still get a -1000 penalty to allying.

Speaking of coalitions, how much AE on average does it take for someone to join a coalition against you? As Florence I got too ambitious and took out Siena when I still had a little bit of AE and got jumped by everyone. It was still a decent trade off for me because even though the coalition made me release Sardinia I still kept Siena which is way better but I'd still rather avoid big coalitions.

30 AE before the AI will start to consider joining coalitions. If you hover over AE in the peace deal whether or not someone will consider joining a coalition.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

Paper Mana
Bird Mana
Sword Mana
Baguette
Blurple
Skandenberg
Wrecked
Ottoscum

Sorry for your aneurysm!

Okay I get most of those but what does "Blurple" refer to?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Thunder Moose posted:

Silly question :with universities now providing a 20% local development cost buff:

Does it mean local as in THAT ONE PROVINCE gets a 20% cost reduction, or local as in all local provinces.

If the second, do they stack?

Former.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Avocados posted:

What could be the cause of a massively unstable income? I'm still doing my Russia run, and I was making 20 golds a month. A year passes and I have a deficit of -16/monthly, despite me just colonizing a few siberian provinces.

e:A large amount of my income comes from trade, could world alliances, wars, and embargos end up hurting me?

How many siberian provinces? If you're colonizing more than you have colonists your cost will increase quadratically.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Came back to EU4 after a long hiatus, played an easy game as Muscovy where me and Austria double-prong attacked the Commonwealth into oblivion and I took off to the east unopposed.

I'm looking to play a game where I form Germany, that was my biggest accomplishment in EU3 and I'd like to relive the glory. What's a fun nation to do it as?

Brandenburg -> Prussia -> Germany is the usual one; you start as a scrappy little barely-regional power and grow into an army of cyborgs running rampant across Europe.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
They probably got some "gently caress all your friends" mission.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Guildencrantz posted:

Just formed Germany as TO->Prussia, I'm the biggest empire in Europe and have the awesome claims that I should be able to grab over the next 30-50 years. It's before 1700. Any ideas for goals more interesting/cool than "lebensraum the gently caress out of Europe with ridiculous space marine soldiers"?

Lebensraum the gently caress out of China.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Conquer land in the shape of a dick.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Redmark posted:

I don't know much about the Personal Union mechanics; what causes unions to break, generally? I got baited into declaring war with allied Poland, not realizing that they'd lost their PU with Lithuania. Last I'd checked, Lith was at about 30% liberty desire. I don't think Poland got into any wars in the interim, and they're still allied.

I'm hoping I can play hide-and-seek with massive Muscovy armies long enough for Poland to get its poo poo together, but they're getting beaten by a 3-star Tverian general lol.

negative prestige is probably the case.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Koramei posted:

Is that a Tunisian North Sea?

Probably Bohemia got a PU w/ Norway.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, the UI is getting cramped, not that that's easy to fix. UI design is almost always the hardest part.

More upsetting is that parts of it just take forever to load; I'm in the late 1700s in my game, and I just don't deal with trade any more, because when I select the trade map mode, the game hangs up for like 5 seconds. What it's doing in 1700 that it's not doing in 1444 I have no idea.

But Estates are useful and good.

Calculating the effect of everyone dickering around in the new world when previously there was nothing I guess?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

Something seems off about this:

Cant figure out what, though.

Reads just fine to me :confused:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

axeil posted:

Canada: One or two more wars? Not sure if I can get enough warscore in the next one

The little star on the province that tells you how much warscore the province is worth also tells you how much warscore it takes to annex the entire country if you hover over it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I inherited land in Burgundy, and I wanted to connect my French/Lowlands holdings, so I ate Flanders, pushing my AE pretty high. Then, a few years later, when my AE got to around -30 in the HRE, I threatened war for a piece of Brabant, since the Threaten War window said I'd only take 15 or so AE. But, nope. That was a trap. So here I am.

30 AE is the threshold for when people decide to gently caress you up. 45 AE is more than enough.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lord Tywin posted:

So this is probably the first time when playing any of the Europa Universalis games that I have gotten this far. I just formed Germany and I wonder what to do next? Are there any fun achievements that I might be able to get? Since I started as Prussia and took Innovative, quality and offensive I have space marines so nobody is really a challenge.

That HRE is a stiff breeze away from being dismantled, you can do that.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Oh my. There are a few extra ideas, nbd:

but then there is a tobleronetriangular interface for adding them

what the hell is colour related to? it isn't required monarch power apparently, since humanist and culture are green but require adm/dip.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

double nine posted:

I started a game as Aragon and ... the Iberian wedding gave me Castille as a vassal? I thought it was always the other way around? What triggers this because I spent a lot of admin and AE biting chunks out of Castille that I apparently didn't have to ...

player's don't get put under PU's by event. if you play lithuania you get poland under the PU.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

El Dorado also has the amazing new world events for conquistadors, and I liked the changes to naval exploration.

Mare Nostrum also gets rid of micromanaging navies during war and it is wonderful.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Where's your capital? It needs to be in a province with Persian culture to shift.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

They ended up sending me the exact same offer I wasn't able to offer them.

if you have mare nostrum you can just totally surrender and then they have to make a 100 warscore peace or get their country super-hosed by war exhaustion

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Can anyone explain EU4 to me?

Crusader Kings 2 was my first Paradox game. It makes sense, it's about politics dickery and family dickery. There's also war/conquest/politics/building up provinces sure, but the core of the game is trying to keep a dumb dynasty together.

I bought Hearts of Iron 4 and that makes sense. It's the "war" game. You set up your factory lines, focus on producing armies/teching up armies, and after spending 5 hours preparing for it, you burn through what you built in the 3-4 hour long WW2. The better you planned/prepared, the better you do, and there's a heavy focus on alt history/doing dumb poo poo like having Poland beat Germany in the initial invasion. Also makes sense.

EU4 just seems to be the nationbuilding/war stuff of CK2 but without the oddball dynasty stuff? Am I missing something? What's EU4s "thing".

The transition from Europe being a bunch of gently caress-poo poo feudal kingdoms to global empires.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Captain Theron posted:

So I picked this up in the steam sale with the goal of colonising the new world as Venice, but apparently the trade nodes don't flow back to me. Who do I need to gently caress up to maximise serene trade?

Get Strong to gently caress up the mamluks and be Strong enough to hold onto Egypt against the loving Ottomans and then gently caress Up India and enjoy Unimaginable Wealth.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

From 1489:

They knew Asia was there but to say they knew what it looked like is a bit of a stretch.

"So there's this peninsula down in south east asia"
"Oh yeah, how big is it?"
"Pretty big I guess"
"OKAY :downs:"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Colonial Air Force posted:

Thomas Paine gets two DLCs. Nice.

I'm pretending the new one is "someone who forgot about half of Lafayette", personally.

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 23, 2016

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
If you've played CK2, you can reasonably just jump in and waddle around until things become second nature.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The last time I played NA native it went something like "England declares war, fucks me up royally and takes a million provinces, takes all their units home, all the provinces rebel and convert back to me back in a decade, meanwhile I've reformed and am actually worth a drat".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Eej posted:

Eastern units start outpacing Anatolians.

you uh, might be waiting a while for this

• Locked thread