Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Zeron posted:

I had trouble turning trade to my advantage in my England game, because literally everything already flows straight to you. I would keep looking around and around for some trade to redirect only to find that they all came to me in the end regardless. English Channel is a bit overpowered as a trade node.

To be fair if you did control the entire English Channel node in real life you would control a crazy amount of super high value coastline and pretty much all of the shipping to the north half of Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

When did Paradox finally respond to this pet issue of mine? (That being Sarai was basically just a typical steppe shitprovince in previous patches)
Military should still be a bit higher but wtv. Also looks like a few more of the steppe cities got covered too, even if they might not actually exist at game start.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, it doesn't seem super common but you can get a permanent nation modifier that's +0.5 Prestige/year or something for finding El Dorado, plus a pile of cash. I'll double check the event files in a bit.

Winning the HYW as England is super easy right now, you'll get coalition warred almost immediately because enforcing the PU generates something silly like 65 AE, but that's ok just release a couple of French-region nations and peace out. France will keep their cores on them so you can get them back easily. France also doesn't seem too rebellious, surprisingly.

Hungary somehow got really scary. They have more development starting out than Austria, pretty good trade goods and lots of farmland and plains provinces surrounded by the Carpathians and other defensible terrain. I might have to try out the Hungary achievement for owning Austria, shouldn't be too hard to take Vienna and get a free Westernization in the process. Hungary has pretty decent NIs, too.

Edit: there are a boatload of modifiers you can get for finding any of the Seven Cities, though seem pretty rare. Yearly prestige, base tax income, trade power.

I've done Hungary games in the past and the Ottomans are your main threat. I usually started out going to war almost immediately and trying to force them to release some vassals so they never get a start on blobbing up.

e: granted alot has changed since then. Not sure how possible/necessary that tactic is now.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 17, 2015

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

What's a good starting strategy and idea plan for Brandenburg?

Gain access to the sea. Murder the Hansa.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

You know I had nothing against you guys Denmark and Poland. You just wouldn't stop fighting me with your endless swarms of poo poo stacks over petty, pointless wars. So look at what you made me do to you.

Novgorod is capable of fielding like 20 regiements even with all that land and has no allies. LET THE CRUSADES BEGIN!

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Hasn't the recent expansion patch nerfed manpower, and by extension, the Ottomans? If so murder the fuckers in the crib.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Honestly they probably did it so that the Berber states stand a chance. What the gently caress would Morocco do if the Iberians didn't have to ship troops to invade?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I tried Sons of Carthage a few months ago and hosed it up by waiting to become a merchant republic before expanding and then getting murdered by the Ottomans. So I'm giving that a shot again:

Manage to ally the Ottomans and kill the Mamluks early on while giving the Ozzy's a nice lengthy peace deal with the Mamluks anatolian allies. Their staggering losses on my behalf led to multiple european invasions that took years to fend off. Morocco and Tlemcen allied and rivaled me at start and decided to invade a few years into the war, with the Ottomans telling me to deal with it on my own. Ungrateful bastards. But I reupped our alliance immediately.

By the time everything was said and done, I'd vassalized Tlemlen, the Ottomans were my eternally grateful allies (and like 3000 ducats in debt) and had yet to expand outside of Greece, and I still have all my money and manpower. I feel good about this run.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Yeah. Murdering a OPM is sort of :effort:

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Star posted:

The Straight Talk achievement was quite boring once you get on firm ground and have enough power to control Arabia. Took me until the early 1700s to unlock enough policies.

Yeah. Hormuz is easily the best place to start for Lighting the Fires too.
Have some border gore:

Does it seem like Lithuania never explodes from Ukrainian rebels anymore? I swear they've been ridiculously stable the past few patches.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 20, 2016

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Muscovy should never have gotten that big. You should have given Novgorod all their cores and sold some provinces to them after pillaging the gently caress out of them instead. That way whenever Muscovy goes to war against Novgorod in the future you can declare and eat more of them. You might have already lost if you can't kill Muscovy in the next 20 years. Novgorod at any size is a pathetic enemy so helping them for awhile won't hurt you. Muscovy will straight up end your game.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

During my attempt (abandoned after I killed England but got rivaled by a France that had entered PU with Godsdamned Spain who themselves still had most of Italy under their thumb. They also had a piece of the isles that I would have had to get away from them.) I just focused on having a strong Navy and trying to trap their doomstacks in Orkney.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

So developing a province to force Institutions in Asia just permanently fucks over the European powers that game. It's possible that you personally fall behind in tech than where you'd be if you put those points into tech instead, but even the steppe hordes are keeping pace with the Russians in tech.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I didn't even KNOW there was an Estonia tag.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Ugh, all the blobs seem....blobier of late. Which isn't helped by the addition of a fourth blob in asia.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Update: Aragon was predictably slow to enter the fray, but the six shock general won some early battles for me. Once we took the Balkans, Mamluks declared war on the Ottomans as well. Not long after, Venice jumped in on the feeding frenzy. RIP Ottomans.

Seems like in 1.20 you'll want to ignore the Albanian Gambit and shoot for an alliance with at least Hungary. Basically, go to your land and naval forcelimits, go a bit over on naval if you have to, and hire a diplomatic reputation advisor. The Ottomans tend to give you time to get your relations to +100 via improvement, allowing you to ally Hungary and Aragon as long as you do the other stuff. Promise them land in the war and they'll both be happy to join, although once war started it didn't seem like Aragon actually wanted anything, not even the province they had marked as vital interest.

This was way easier than I expected, and it actually seemed easier than it was in 1.19. As for the guy who wanted to play as Wallachia, that poo poo is gonna be hard. You start with a smaller army and smaller forcelimits, making you a less appealing target for alliance with the bigger countries, so I'm not sure if you can go with that method. And the Albanian method is now nullified, so Wallachia seems like they're in a super difficult spot.

edit: bonus screenshot:

The Turks are done for. Subsequent wars should be easy.

Ottomans are never truly dead until all of their provinces are conquered and converted.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Ithle01 posted:

The thing about hordes is that when you're strong you're strong enough to punch above your weight, but you can easily start to fall into a death spiral so your number one thing is to avoid the death spiral at all costs. Looting countries in wars is how you keep your unity up and you should never find yourself short of targets for this. Weak targets of opportunity are key for this once you have high development. Keeping manpower high is also a big deal because you can easily tap yourself out so don't fight battles you don't need to fight and keep a few mercs handy to absorb losses. Razing should be done everywhere, especially high development areas, because the point of razing is to make it so you can take more land in wars and to fund its own coring cost. Build your forts on flat lands and lure enemy armies in then murder them on the grass. Avoid mountain forts if at all possible. Just because you can use a high cavalry/infantry ratio doesn't mean you should - your economy is going to be poo poo relative to what it should be for your size.

If you're looking for a good 'starting horde' to learn with try one of the Manchu tribes and don't be too concerned if you die quickly.

I've done Khan of Khans and usually use mercs as my infantry even, or especially in the beggining. You just need to get used to the idea that you're a much smaller nation than you look like, and lure your enemies into horrible gangbang deathtraps where you can stack wipe them.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

canepazzo posted:

How do you force spawn religious rebels? Is it just sending a missionary to a thousand months conversion, reducing authonomy in the province, and wait? Low stab, high OE and WE as well I guess?

I'm trying to do Aragon->Byzantium and while I have the initial invasion down pat (Mil Access from Venice and park army in Durazzo, no-CB declare on Albania same day Ottos declare on them, vassalize, call in France/Venice/Poland into the defensive war), I am having trouble with the culture and religion conversion. For switching to Greek I have to throw away some provinces/destate others so that Greek is 50%, which kinda tanks my economy eventually, while the religious part takes ages. Any trick to avoid these downsides?

If you have greek as an accepted culture you can can culture change any province to it.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

The general pattern I've noticed is that they tend to do super bad early but become stronger over time, right up until France eats them. Overwhelmyingly the biggest issue in my games so far is the French/Ottoman alliance from hell that exists even if they don't become allies. If you're a great power and end up at war with the Ottomans there's about a 100% chance France will intervene to ensure that you lose. I had to abandon a SWEDEN game because of this nonsense.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Alright, think Its about time I started chowing down on those CN's in South Ameri-?

Hi again england? Guess you decided to move on down after I kicked out out of Canada. the question is why you even have the option.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Ah, sweet Catharsis.

For context all those save games prior to that one you see were wrecked by Ottomans.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 19, 2017

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Ideas Guy achieved, not that it's a hard one to get.

gently caress Ming. Also I waited until the very end to bother conquering the other island nations, and ended up racking up so much AE that the resulting coalition war included pretty much everyone I didn't have a peace treaty with. Frankly I'm a little shocked I didn't get the million casualty cheev from all the dumb transports I swatted into the sea. Poor Benin, they tried so hard compared to France, who just sent a single fleet and then gave up.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I've taken Espionage before. There are edge cases where that 10% vassal loyalty is important.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Edit: what in the everloving gently caress, ivory in Greenland? Is that from walruses or something? :stare:

Yes? Like it's come up a few times in the thread, but yeah walrus ivory was and is a thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_trade#Walrus_ivory

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Welp time to get my Humble Origens run in. How's the Novgorod situation post patch? Never got a Frozen Asses run in and I'm wondering if that start is even more hosed than previously.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I haven't had much time to play much of anything getting ready to travel to Turkey for the remainder of the summer, but I've been meaning to give a Novgorod run another shot. How has that start changed?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Having all of China be the same culture group is stupid, increasingly so since they stopped basing culture groups on language groups. Breaking all that up into chunks could help reign in their absurd finances a bit.

e:

Koramei posted:

Ming in the 15th century wasn't anything like as unified as China today, but the days of a unified China being an anomaly had passed by about a thousand years. There was a cultural and philosophical identity that united the region, extended to its neighbors, and made eventual unification the expectation of basically every power that arose there. It wasn't an arbitrary formation made possible only by historical circumstance like the Mughals or Ottomans, "China" was a solidly ingrained concept. I'd like to see some variety there too but the current situation makes a hell of a lot more historical sense than Mingsplosion happening in more than like 5% of games, and also makes playing on their periphery (in East Asia) way more unique.

Your views on Chinese history are strange in light of your Korean expertise, as the only entity that matches the unified China description besides the Mongols was the Tang, and even then there were smaller but still powerful "chinese" kingdoms that they didn't control.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 20, 2017

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Redmark posted:

Speaking of cultural groups does Manchu get stuck with China being wrong-culture land even after forming Qing with their recent change?

Doesn't the mandate give whoever has it acceptance of all Chinese cultures?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Also that isn't a particularly expensive idea, you can still devour the Americas for the cheev in short order by putting it in a later slot and giving yourself a garbage heir.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah I think they should get claims or something....they were gunning hard for getting rid of the other Turkish rulers in the area once they conquered Constantinople especially.

They also had a hell of a hard time doing it. They had to reconquer several of them because it didn't stick. As it is the Ottomans blob way faster and more successfully than their historical counterpart did. Giving them a slight speedbump might make playing other countries in the region less of a poo poo show.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Varam posted:

Huh? The OE blobs more slowly in the game than it did in real life, where it reached nearly its maximum extent about a century into the game. Matching the pace of Selim's and Suleiman's conquests isn't easy.

Maybe it's because I'm not counting their North African holdings which never get conquered because Tunis always decides to be a vassal in everything but name, but they always eat Egypt faster than they historically did and then eat Persia by 1550. Sometimes they hold off on Europe, but sometimes they go ham until they reach the HRE.

e: I ran a game on observe while I read a book to demonstrate. I don't think it proved anything I wanted it to.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 20, 2017

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

50 DIP for +1 Development is also just crazy, plus it comes with an extra -20% dev cost.

I assume those clicks are actually on pretty long cool downs.

It mostly seems to be intended to help Persia compensate for it's geography. All those loving mountains. The claims are meant to help a burgeoning Persian empire reach the borders of it's powerful neighbors quickly enough that they have a chance. These bonuses are extremely powerful in a vacuum, but in the context of Ardabils start position and monstrously powerful Ottoman neighbor mostly just help it survive.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

It's more or less accurate, but irrelevent since the Iranian coast is nothing but blasted besalted hellwastes outside of khuzestan. Also home to most of the Afroiranian population.

e: If you wanna get finnicky there's a stretch between Khuzestan and Jask that should be Persian to represent Bushehr which is like, the one historically Persian port that exists. Although I think even Bushehr came to be dominated by an Arab aristocracy.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 27, 2017

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

Those Theocracy ideas will survive exactly one patch.

I don't see why. It's literally limited to an OPM who'll end up smashing into the ottomans sooner rather than later if it even gets off the ground.

e: Actually new Oman gets it too. But they're also an OPM in a garbage tier province and completely surrounded by the bigger nastier Hormuz.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 27, 2017

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

There's also a Mamluk unique government type with +3 accepted cultures and +2 to ruler admin stat :wtc:

Because when I think of the late 15th century Mamluks, I think of a culturally accepting bureaucracy and not a bunch of Turkish cultural supremacists larping as crusades era warriors until the Ottomans came and blew them away with artillery and mass firepower.
e: I guess it's not entirely off. Everyone was equally inferior to the Mamluk caste, and they did do a remarkable job of streamlining government administration by more or less getting rid of the concept and just defacto integrating everything into the military.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 3, 2017

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Poil posted:

Fairly unrelated but I was listening to music on youtube when this showed up in the list of recommended stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNUE05sRwrA No idea but it seems to be about Kazakh? Could anyone shed some light on it please? :)

Not sure if it's in turkish or kazakh. They're pretty similar and getting even more similar these days, but while they have many of the same words, they don't always mean the exact same thing or fit together the same.The Orkhon runes kinda give it away as a Turkish pan-nationalism kinda thing. Ditto that sky blue flag with a wolf on it. So while it's about kazakhs it could very well be made by Turkish nationalistic types claiming Kazakhstan as another part of the glorious turkish culture. Title is "We are the Turkish Rain".
First part is mostly generic mythical heroism stuff. "I shouted the anthem of my father, something something knowing the cost of valour etc"
Mentions the Saka and the Hun. Can't figure out the context. It's either they admire/teach us or we admire/teach them. Mentions an obscure Crimean Khan who was coexistant with the kazakh khanate and had nothing to do with them as far as me and the various turkic wikipedias know. Says they made a covenant?* Mentions a couple of the more succssful early Khans (Kasim and Esim). Also two of the ones who ruled over the Khanates decline but did their best given the shite circumstances (Tauke and Ablai). Interspersed throughout with various generic nationalistic/heroic/mythic stuff.

fake edit: Canıbek Giray Hanlar uses the plural of Khan, so it's two guys: Janybek Khan and Kerey Khan, the co founders of the Kazakh Khanate. Confusing because Giray/Kerey was the dynasty of the Crimeans, and they had a ruler named Canibek/Janybek. Same names but the latinisation used in the video are the ones usually used for the Crimean names not the Kazakh ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

One of my first serious games of eu4 got ruined by the Ottomans inheriting a successful expansive Timurids. I kinda wish I'd continued the game just so I could watch a viable AI WC.

• Locked thread