Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Paradox releases are always kinda buggy and if I was smart I'd wait but with a few exceptions they get fixed relatively quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is it just me or has the AI not quite adjusted to the new warfare?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

Can someone explain how Mercantilism works and where I can check how much of it I have? I can't find any tooltip that says anything about it.

It's under trade tab somewhere, its basically a multiplier on province trade power

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

CK2 has its weird unique RPG aspects which give it a wider audience both because they appeal to more people and it's more unique so people are likely to pick it up cause they heard a friend talking about it and try it out briefly.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Dont diss the pretty borders

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Contrecoup posted:

Was looking at doing a New World game. If you reform your religion as Maya/Inca/Aztec, are you no longer considered primitive? Or do you still have to fully Westernize to survive colonialism?

I;m pretty sure that just hitting the westernize button protects you from the colonialism (or whatever it's called) CB

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tsyni posted:

Yeah, wow. What's required to get a revolution?

IIRC you have to take a shitload of loans and then lose a rebellion. You need a capital in Europe too.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Anyone got a good recommendation for a campaign that starts relatively small but isn't super difficult?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

About to start an Ethiopia game, any advice for the new patch? I tried it the patch before and did alright, just didn't expand fast enough and the Ottomans eventually got bored and stomped me to death.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I don't play Ironman cause autosaves but what's the point of playing Ethiopia without being Coptic? :colbert:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So two questions about an Ethiopia run. First, what ideas? I'm thinking Religious-Exploration-Defensive-Diplomatic-Quantity to start. Secondly, where should I go once I've got the Horn under my control- south for the gold or west to get westernized?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

How do people feel about Economic and Adminstrative ideas? As Ethiopia I'm not gonna be making tons of money of trade until I can break through the Ottomans and I have tons of gold, so Economic seems like it'd be a good fit. Administrative would make it easier to conquer all the countries around me and also get me mercs to smooth my lovely manpower. Any suggestions?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

With everyone talking about Russia lately, I decided to try an ironman Muscovy run:

Playing as the only major nation of a religion really highlights how terrible the Defender of Faith mechanic is. For the first half of the game whenever I wanted to gobble up more of Lithuania, I would always have to deal with France. Though I intentionally kept Georgia alive so I would at least have one Orthodox buddy on the map :3:

DotF is pretty funny when you're the only person of your faith. I had a game as the Guarani where I became defender of the Catholic faith and never had to defend it, as I was the only Catholic on the continent.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Anyone played a colonial nation game? Are they any fun? I think I might play a USA game now that I finished Ethiopia.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

What's a interesting small nation to play in the HRE?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

How long does it take for mercenaries to update to the latest unit?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

What specifically changed that made Austria constantly lose the emperorship? Cause it's happened every game within a hundred years of game start, except one where it took two hundred.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Jesus diplomacy in the HRE is a bitch, I think I had a smoother time as the Guarani than the Hansa.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey if Austria has a vassal can they add their provinces to the HRE?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Any advice for Austria? I got up to about the late 1500s but Spain and France are allied, my authority is poo poo, and I don't quite have the income to support the massive armies I'd need to beat France. I do want to play this one out until at least the 30YW, it'll be Austria (with the Burgundian Inheritance and PUs on Bohemia and Hungary), Sweden, Lithuania, and Britain against Spain, France, Muscovy, Poland, Ottomans, and half the HRE. Should be a proper world war.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

420 Gank Mid posted:

Holy poo poo Independent Canada? I've never seen the AI do that

I actually see at least a few CNs break off every game, last game the USA formed from a Spanish colony on the entire east coast without my intervention at all.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

Nah it is may more realistic that they run themselves out of manpower and deeply into debt when I am trying to take a peripheral off-culture province from them and dont want more.

Eighty Years War says hi

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I generally like to take Defensive early where you need a safety net and Offensive late when you've got your snowball rolling.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

If you go Christian as a native American state you have failed your people and your ancestors and the Wolf Spirit spits on you.

:mad:

EDIT: it is a defacto game loss state

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F54dhf98qgg

:colbert:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ran into a guy at my college playing EU4 the other day. I bring it up cause he was using the terrain mapmode

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

"My padishah, it appears that we have lost our dominance in the trade of silk! Whatever shall we do?"

"Oh bother. Well, time to start oppressing the Albanians again."

All the bonuses for trading in X are kinda silly if you think about them too hard.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

The tooltips that tell you how much money you'll gain by sending a boat have never been very reliable, trade calculations are complex. What nation are you playing? Generally you will want to send boats to your home node unless you have a large share there already, then it's better to send them to an upstream node you want to pull more trade home from.

I wouldn't bother trying to figure out the siege progression mechanics too much they're rather arcane. You need enough troops to conduct the siege, the Siege statistic on generals and every 3 artillery will speed sieges. You might not have artillery yet but it's a good idea to start attaching 1-3 to sieges when they become available.

Basically the easiest way to figure out siege mechanics is to select an army in a siege, look at the siege view that should pop up instead of the province view, and just look at all the tooltips.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Espionage seems better but kinda unfocused to me. Also next expansion can we get a better display of the terms of a peace deal on the event? I mean

is kinda annoying to read

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Any recommendations for a land power that's also a republic ?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So I ended up picking Switzerland. How terrible an idea is Defensive->Influence->Plutocratic?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Node posted:

I don't think you'd ever want to pick a military idea first since the first few technologies that give military tactics and morale are so much more important.

I did luck out with a 6 mil starting ruler and plan on reelecting military rulers til I'm caught up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Should I go Protestant or Reformed for Switzerland? I'm (slowly) expanding into Italy (goddamn is that a lot of development) and plan on mostly being a land power with some meddling in Med trade if I get good ports.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is there a good way to prevent an ally from getting called into a war against you?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

GreyPowerVan posted:

uhhhh i think this relationship isn't going to last long

I see your bet and raise it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Dibujante posted:

:ssh: The gospels were the time-period equivalent of a lovely webcomic :ssh:

Not enough homestuck fans being fed to lions

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

- Countries with incomes less than 10 ducats will no longer get level 2 advisors (except by event) and countries with incomes less than 50 ducats will no longer get level 3 advisors (except by event).

Are Buddhists gonna be less painful to play? I always wanted to do a Southeast Asia game.

Also with the nerf to integrate-by-decision stuff is there a way to break provinces off them if they got bigger on their own accord?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey does anyone know if there's an option to have both the Guns Drums and Steel songs and the songs they replace in the game's playlist?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I hate forcelimits guy cause I keep forgetting my actual forcelimits and building over them

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

It's slang for unrest, which was called Revolt Risk before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm curious, is it Paradox policy to have a dev poster for each SA thread about your games? Wiz has stepped off from EU4 and now you're here. The CK2 thread has Groogy.

Was Darkrenown a goon before or after joining Paradox?

• Locked thread