Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
You can always use more mercenaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Trogdos! posted:

Are there any tips for using mercs? Since EU3 I've just built big army stacks out of regular troops and almost never used mercs because I don't know how to incorporate them into my stacks that are at "max size" regarding supply/combat width/transport fleets.

Some hard and fast rules for babby's first use of mercenaries:

1. Don't bother building mercenary cavalry or artillery.
2. If you have no manpower issues, don't bother building mercenaries at all.
3. If you are having manpower issues, replace as many of your infantry regiments as you can afford with mercenary infantry.
4. If you have infinite money, make all your infantry regiments mercenaries.

Basically they're a way of converting money into manpower. I kinda think it would be more elegant to just have a "spend money on mercenaries" button you mash to give you more manpower. You could have bad events for having too large a proportion of your army made out of mercenaries.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

AnoHito posted:

Institution spread from developing seems like it could be really helpful for that. In fact, it's the first thing that came to mind when I read that new feature.

If institutions spread based on development, what stops China from dominating the world every game?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Is the Aggressive Expansion problem actually bad enough that I should delay playing this expansion?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I've been making solid use of out giving off-religion provinces to my religious estate as Vietnam, makes otherwise unconvertable provinces convertable.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Vorpal Cat posted:

I think its a bit of waste of points to do it all in one province, after a certain point you cap on you institution spread per development. In my kongo game I ended up creating 3 size 37-40 provinces right next to each other, one for feudalism, one for renaissance, and one for printing press.

That must be a poo poo-ton of monarch points and sitting around clicking "develop".

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

It's a little more complex than that, and it's really worth it to read the full spergout in its glory: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Trade_goods#Gold_mine_depletion

That's a thing of beauty.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Dali Parton posted:

unrelatedly I wish I could do more with my growing 5k gold reserves. I know someone said to use gold to feed rivals of my rivals, but I don't trust the AI to use gold in any logical way.

Is your entire army mercenaries?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Another Person posted:

Hey so I just saw the dev diary for the upcoming patch and I sat and thought about it. All I have to really say is that this has been a really incredible year for EUIV, it has gone from my favourite current grand strat game to being the best one in my eyes. Not current, I mean all time. Even mechanics I was sceptical of when they were initially added, like corruption, are being advanced into having some genuine decision making in them to make them actually deep and interesting beyond "keep number low".

If any of you dev nerds are in here, give yourself a pat on the back because to me, a player of your game, you have had a super impressive year with the improvements that have been made.

I would say EU4 is currently the strongest Paradox game, and by extension the best strategy game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I do wish there was a button next to each building that just built it in the province in your empire in which it would have the greatest effect. A lot of the time my process goes:

1. Click temple
2. Scour map for highest number
3. Click number

And it would be cool to have that reduced to a single step. Presumably the process is needed in order for the AI to handle this stuff in any case.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Is it best to wait for several institutions to be active before doing a development bomb, or just grab them as soon as possible?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

So estates always very slowly move to 50% approval. Asking them of anything reduces their approval by a lot, giving them new territory increases their power or is only possible if you are also expanding, so how are you supposed to boost their loyalty outside of random events? I tend to give everyone the minimum to be happy, and they just sit at 50% meaning I can't really ask them for anything without having to wait like 20 years for their loyalty to come back up. I'm also constantly getting little events that make me choose between -10 for one and +10 for another and so on. For the most part it seems they just find an equilibrium and you can ignore them. But I'd love to engage with them more, I feel like I'm missing part of the strategy.

Every estate has an interaction that boosts loyalty for some other cost. Check out "Hold Diet" for the nobility, and "Grant Monopoly Charters" for the merchants. I forget what the Clergy get.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Despite my hundreds and hundreds of hours in this game, I still dont understand how I can get stackwiped defending a mountain province with army with a 35% morale bonus and 10% Discipline bonus and a 2/3/3/1 general when I am fighting 30k with 20k. I can understand losing, but getting stackwiped is absurd. Yes my maintenance was at full. They are French without their Elan bonus, and I am Castillian with my morale and discipline bonuses.

You don't mention tech level, ideas, or the enemy general. Also, were you sieging at the time?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

wukkar posted:

All these tweets of "Look how good the next iteration of our games will be!" significantly demotivate me from playing the current version of EU4/Stellaris.

This is true, but if they motivate you to buy the next expansion then they've done their job, and eventually there will be no more DLC and you can abandon the game, unplayed.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Node posted:

I'm stupid/blind and can't figure out what he is showing here.

Looks like the table shows you the most profitable place to put a Cathedral. Presumably you can do the same for any building. Saves you having to pore over your entire empire to find the best spot.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Node posted:

I'd choose the +20 settlers/year native policy if I could mark my colonial armies as exempt from lowered army maintenance costs. It's too much of a pain in the rear end to shuffle four armies around when you have four colonies running, and never being able to lower army maintenance.

Absolutely. They already have the ability to mothball navies, why can't I mothball my home armies while I leave my colonial troops fully maintained?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Half maintenance full tech armies handle natives with ease, really.

Sure, but it's still a bit dumb that it's so all-or-nothing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

So, what's the best way to play Ming? I've been doing my first game as them, and I have the Renaissance embraced thanks to developing one of my 3 development farmland provinces, and every single neighbour of mine is a tributary.

However, I do think I hosed up a bit - I started off by converting some of my animist provinces right off the bat, then I started harmonising with one of the buddhist religions. My harmony hit 0 before it was done - I'd advise everyone else to not convert provinces at all, and to let your harmony hit 100 before you start harmonising with one of your religions.

I kinda feel like I should be expanding, though. Should I invade Japan?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Sounds like this kind of thing is better handled through event than through a menu with "Assassinate king y/n" on it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

True, but for the record no one was suggesting anything even close to the latter

QuarkJets posted:

Assassination attempts seem like a thing this game should have but doesn't for some reason. I guess it would be annoying dealing with the AI constantly attempting to kill your rulers

I mean, you kinda did when you suggested assassination was something the AI could choose to do.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

That guy Reman's youtube channel is a pro-watch if you've got any questions on Trade, Fort Zone of Control or Institutions.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Tag switch to them and find out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I could see not unlocking a full idea group in that time. So if you tag switch to them you could see if they're halfway through three groups or if they haven't unlocked a single idea or what.

• Locked thread