Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009

down with slavery posted:

if you take a cursory glance around the world you'll find that people move with less money, to stranger cities with less of a support network in order to improve the standards of living for themselves and their families

nobody said it was easy, but I mean, there are colleges with actual young people with potential there, it's a comedy. sure, some people are "stuck" in Kansas, but there's plenty of educated individuals above the poverty line that should be getting the gently caress out if they have half a care for their future

What do you do when you move from Michigan, cuz the economy sucks, to Kansas (like i did )because there are jobs! And then 5 years later your fellow citizens elect bunch of morons? Move again? Keep moving from state to state while neoliberals and neocons take over? That's just playing their game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The sales tax has always applied to food, part of brownback's original plan was to remove the tax from food items. Of course after they realized how much of a deficit there was in the budget that was quickly axed.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

down with slavery posted:

Probate posters who dare suggest that the voters hold any responsibility for the actions of the officials they elected.

3rd party candidates have a pretty difficult time getting on the ballot in Kansas, last year for example only the libertarian party got a candidate on the ballot for senator. So the most left wing candidate on my ballot for state offices is gonna be a blue dog Democrat.

I mean really my options are to either move across the counrty for the 3rd time in the last 15 years or stay here and try and change poo poo. I'm lucky enough to be young white and male with a skillset that can get me work in an industry that will pay a decent wage with little trouble so it's probably gonna be the former, but what are people less fortunate than I am supposed to do?

e: I really wish liberals would stop blaming the Kochs for systemic issues, if it wasn't them, it'd be someone else. This isn't a problem that is going to be solved by creating boogeymen that we burn in effigy.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
When you're living in Flint you take the first thing that gets you out of town, which is kinda my point. You don't get a guarantee that the place you choose isn't going to descend into a tea party poo poo hole because people can't deal with a black president, or something else.

e I'm not a loving liberal

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BlueBlazer posted:

Them and anyone in their bracket, its just so obvious in Kansas. They aren't a boogeyman, they're the man, along with anyone else that can justify keeping their dragon horde for their themselves.

Keep trying to defend someone from an attack on their wealth. Please, show us how much you can be on their side.

What the gently caress are you talking about, I'm not defending the Koch brothers, I'm saying that concentrating on them solely means liberals can avoid critiques of the capitalist mode of production you moron

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BlueBlazer posted:

So liberals attacking the Koch brother is a deflection of the critique of the capitalist mode? I would say the exact opposite, that attacking the richest capitalist on earth, whose political aspiration include the spreading of free market capitalism ideology to its logical extent in line with their financial interests, is a healthy area of focus.

If you wish to view it through your optics and their ownership of the means of production, then the Koch's as single entity are still a very valid subject of criticism and attack.

"Librals" focusing on this is exactly the thing they should be doing to bring about systemic change.

Eat the rich to save Kansas.

No, if you single out one person, corporation or group as the cause of the problems, be it in Kansas or anywhere else you are implicitly blaming them for the problem and not the system which is the ultimate cause. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

Yes.

Yes.

What game? Until I moved to Texas, I moved seven times in as many years, mostly for work, mostly fruitless. People do this. What game was I playing?

So we all become economic migrants, fruit pickers with better benefits? I mean that is the ultimate end game here but it also contributes to the breakdown of local communities and social structures that are going to be key if we are ever going to fight this poo poo and win.

e: thanks for proving my points exactly in this thread guys, not all capitalists are bad! !! lmao #notallcapitalists

rscott fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 19, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Must have missed the part when I said I'm peacing out as soon as I can, most people aren't so lucky

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
IIRC in my history class it was mostly stuff about how we Americans tried to give them civilization but they didn't want it and it's real sad that so many of them died but everything is hunk dory after AIM and poo poo, honest we swear

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'd say it's mitigated the effects of capital's ability to disassemble the social safety net in those countries

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I don't deny any of those points but it's a dumb argument because you can't prove a negative. Do I think campaign finance laws are a pancea for what ills the American poltical process? Of course not, there is no magic bullet.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

I'm surprised they're not saying that they don't have enough money to go through all the paper records or something like that

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
In the latest saga of the slow strangulation of every service the state provides, Kansas finds itself another $290 m short for their budget for the next fiscal year!
Surely you say, after the last 2 or 3 years of Brownback's tax cuts creating budget deficits everyone would recognize the policies need work. Not so fast! Instead, they've floated 3 options, the first of which is to raid the highway fund, again for another $185 million, which would put the amount redirected out of the fund to well over a billion dollars. Option 2 is to sell off the majority of the tobacco settlement money the state receives to get a one time cash payment. Basically the state equivalent of going to JG Wentworth. Option 3 is to delay paying into the state pension fund, always a great idea that doesn't lead to bad consequences at all. Plus there's the assorted cuts to education, again.

Really guys the job creators are coming any day, he promises! Instead of waiting for Godot, it's waiting for Galt.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
PS tax revenues were $75m less than expected in may, the 10th time in the last 12 months that revenues have been less than expected, if they don't find another $40 million by June 30th for K-12 funding the state Supreme Court is going to shut down all the public schools because of unconstitutional funding levels in poor areas which have borne the brunt of the cuts thus far, and the state is signing up to fight the federal government over the transgender bathroom directive, which I'm sure won't cost any money at all

But hey rich soccer moms in Johnson County are finally feeling the pinch at the schools their kids go to so they're running for state legislature seats as "moderate" republicans to try and roll back the Brownback era cuts so uh go them I guess. It's not like democrats are able to take advantage of the historic levels of dissatisfaction with Brownback at all so that's about all there is to hope for if you live in the state and have kids or are poor

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

McAlister posted:

So here is a survey of 433 registered voters in Kansas. The pollster is listed rated as unreliable by Nate Silver with a republican bias that has done GOP push polls in the past.

So its kind of odd that it shows Clinton up by 7 points with 21% undecided.

http://kansashealth.org/sites/default/files/ZogbyPollResults.pdf

90% of my formerly Trump supporting coworkers think he's jumped the shark with all the crap he's said in the last month and are planning on voting for Gary Johnson now

Sadly that means they're gonna go GOP down ticket since the utterly useless state democratic party can't take advantage of the historical levels of disgust with Brownback

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The state legislature's response to the Supreme Court ruling is to introduce an amendment to the state constitution to prevent the shutdown of the school systems because gently caress actually fixing the problem

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Does that have anything to do with the Brownback tax policies, or have they been there for years?

I'm curious how this works, where you lower corporate taxes so that corporations will headquarter in your state. Delaware isn't doing well, is it?

No they're definitely been there for a while, I don't think any major company has actually moved work into Kansas because of the tax breaks, or period really.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't speak for KC, but Wichita was a major cattle stop. Then they doubled down on being "The Air Capitol," I read an article once that contained a massive list of all the aircraft companies that went out of business right before WWII broke out. Of course they still want to be the Air Capitol, but anyone who's been there lately can see how putting all their eggs in one basket is a bad idea. It's getting to Midwest Detroit, I can't imagine how bad it is these days with Brownback's garbage.
Wichita is not even in the same magnitude of economic dire straits as Detroit, you have no idea what you are actually talking about

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article88780642.html

There's this trend of state governments passing laws to prevent local governments from being reasonable and actually trying to counteract the dumb poo poo they pass. This isn't even about raising taxes, poo poo like this is specifically designed to force governments to slowly cannibalize themselves and reduce the effectiveness of services, which is then used as justification for further cuts. Laws like this fly under the radar compared to the crazy poo poo but they're far more insidious and have long reaching consequences beyond blatantly unconstitutional stunts.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

radical meme posted:

So there's absolutely no consideration for population growth in that formula? Is it taken as a given that people will start fleeing the state because of it's retrograde policies? Maybe I'm missing something but, if property values start to backslide, is the city going to actually have to cut it's budget?

Yeah pretty much. The meme is that the government is inherently wasteful and inefficient and any (completely valid) complaints about funding freezes for public schools and reduced budgets for anything that helps a poor person are just greedy government employees trying to waste your tax dollars.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They're going to have to raise taxes over Brownback's veto is the big problem, even with the gains by centrists in the primary Brownback has enough allies to prevent an override.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
the descriptions of the regulations of the inspection requirements for the rides and their pitiful record keeping requirements (that were waived during an audit because they conduct daily visual inspections) made me :stonk: because that's like a blank check for venal short sighted fuckers to cut corners and ignore the potential consequences of that. It's literally amazing someone hadn't died sooner on that ride.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Wichita is talking about cutting their public transportation services altogether after 2019 because of that dumb law that freezes spending levels of municipal governments forever and ever until the end of time, things are working as intended

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Wichita already has the worst public transportation system (and by extension lowest ridership rates) of any top 50 metro area

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

fishmech posted:

That's probably because Wichita is the #85 metro area in the country, nearly 500,000 people behind #50 (Buffalo, NY)

Last time there were trains for public transit in Wichita was like 1945.

I conflated city with metro area whoops me. The statistic was a rate stat though not a counting one, I think around a half percent per year or something terrible like that.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Your chances of getting murdered by a fascist are probably roughly the same though

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://kmuw.org/post/wichita-artists-brace-loss-federal-regional-grant-funding

lol this state is just the worst

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

If Kansans like the autobahn then maybe they should raise the gas and deisel tax to fix those highways.

lol yeah right, they've already raided like $200m from the highway fund to cover the holes in the budget

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

That's a problem.

OK you can come and live in this hell hole and I'll live somewhere that isn't cutting gaping holes in every single social service provided by local and state governments

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

2016 saw a bunch of shitbacks cronies voted out, that's why the veto passed, not enough of the Senate changed. But still it's incredible that the House had 2/3rds and the Senate was 3 shy. Big change I the right direction.

Except nothing actually changed and they're gonna jack up every consumption tax and raid the retirement fund to make it through another year, cool!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Their excuse was that if they got involved then it would attract the attention of the national Republican political establishment, of course the state party didn't do poo poo until yesterday either because the KDP is useless

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There is no enthusiasm from any of my conservative co-workers about this election, the only people I hear talking about it intended to vote for Thompson. Anecdotal for sure and who knows what the sticks are like but first signs are encouraging

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
IDK that's pretty accurate it's just that none of them can be assed to go out and vote on a Tuesday in April. It's mostly old people with nothing else to do that are the main threat.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There was a story about a Wichita State professor who said he found irregularities in the 2014 election results but Kris Kobach wouldn't authorize a review of the physical record because it would cost too much...
That far east in Wichita is pretty wealthy though so I don't think they need to stuff that particular ballot box

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I blame the Kansas State party as much as anyone, they didn't do poo poo for support, all the contacts I got were from the campaign itself or from progressive groups like our revolution. They're comically inept to the point that if the neoliberals want to practice nation building before loving around in the middle east they could start with building the KDP into something resembling an actual political party

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
As far as the state party goes IDK. There was a lot of new blood at the annual meeting but the KDP hates being reminded that Kansas exists outside of Johnson County and Topeka/Lawrence so who knows how they'll take being proven wrong by an outsider from Wichita

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The big problem was actually that they weren't going to be able to open the school year July 1 if they didn't fund the schools properly, and they couldn't do that without rolling back brownbacks tax plan
If the schools were impacted again after all the poo poo over the last 5 years you honestly would have seen a democrat majority in the legislature here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

I'm interested to see how Kris Kobach runs his campaign. So far it looks like his campaign is "I'm a real Conservative, all of these other Republicans are just RINOs, vote them out so I can lower your taxes again."

Probably by restricting the rights of everyone who lives in a city or has a high school diploma from voting

• Locked thread