Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cautiously optimistic about this. Also gently caress ubisoft and their Udon'tplay.

Skilleddk posted:

I hope they'll go back to historical games honestly. I absolutely loved every single game in the series up to 2070 which just didn't click with me at all. Which is a shame, because I got the collectors edition :v:
Same for me (except I only got the regular version). Something about 2070 just lacks the charm of 1404. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm getting a bit worried the game won't be very good. The impression I've got so far is less of the stuff I enjoy of the series and more of the things that bothered me in 2070. Going to the moon sounds fun, but if the rest isn't it won't matter.

Rascyc posted:

Making pretty islands is the only reason I play this series.
:colbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Wait a minute, no multiplayer at launch?? Ugh.
Figures. No shipping, no AI, no sandbox, no multiplayer... no fun? :mad:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

PiCroft posted:

I've played every single Anno game since the first one, 1602 and I don't want my series to get all uppity and new-fangled and move away from its roots :colbert:
Preach it. :hfive:

I learned the game playing 1602 lan with a friend many years ago, and we last played some multiplayer Anno last year (1404).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

BastardySkull posted:

Beta access for preorders has been cancelled suddenly by ubi with no explanation, apparently.
On one hand I feel that anyone dumb enough to preorder deserves it, but on the other hand ubisoft are big shitheads who need to stop being so slimy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"You're here, hooray! Please never go away!"

I wonder how in the world his bloodline managed to survive. It was so disappointing his great-great-great-etc-grand daughter in 2070 didn't sing like he did.

Anyway, the game looks nice but the city layout looked really dull. Perfect grids are boring, at least try and be creative. It doesn't have to be amazing just better than not trying at all. :colbert:

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 12, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Better wait a month or so for the worst gamebreaking bugs and crashes to be, hopefully, patched out though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

When do they normally drink their lunch in Paris? It could be a few hours difference.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I suppose that by removing agents they free up a lot of CPU power for other crap?

Lorini posted:

Clearly you Brits have more money than us income equality exploited Americans :).
Isn't it just because of their idea that 1$=1€? :downs:

edit
Based on the gameplay video posted earlier the mouspointer changes and becomes really hard to use with certain tools, such as demolishing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Oh, hey, the game actually tells you, in game, how many units of resources a building creates and uses.

So for example, the Vita-drink factory takes 16 units of fruit to produce 12 units of Vita-drink, while the Plantation produces 8 units of fruit. So 2 plantations per Vita-Drink plant.
That's really about time. I don't miss having to guess the ratio of production buildings, or having to look it up all the time. There's a mod for it with 1404 but I don't know if 2070 had the problem.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Urghhhh, limited predetermined spots for so many things... :sigh:

I'm not actually playing the game, watching Quill18's videos. He's just reached the ice world. Best youtuber to cover the game so far because he actually learned the game a bit before starting and doesn't spend forever farting around doing nothing for long periods of time loudly wondering about things explained in the tutorial. He also explains a lot of the stuff he does and why.

Poil fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 3, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

paint dry posted:

Heard a rumour that people buying from key sites are being hit by strange bugs like NPC voice files not working. Any truth to this?
You mean like they know exactly who installs with a key site and give them a special made broken version of the game instead of just making the key invalid?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

FoiledShenanigans posted:

But then you still have to factor in that that 1 CEO is guzzling down literal tons of luxury food and champagne..
It's like you don't open a bag of cheetos, take a handful before throwing the rest over your shoulder for housekeeping to take care off and your snack caddie hands you another bag.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What's the uplay experience so far with this game?

Bhodi posted:

This game is great, the 20 second unskippable seizure warning at the beginning is not.
Is it flashing as well?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Hiding loading is the worst loving user experience. Every time a game attempts to be a smooth experience by hiding it behind a static or cutscene it does the exact opposite of make the game appear to be responsive and well programmed.
Yes, staring at a dull screen that game seem stuck on for long periods of time is really annoying. At least if it has the word loading on it you know why it's taking so long and it's a lot easier to wait for it to pass. At least it's not something as moronic as Civ5 did which made you watch the opening cinematic which you couldn't skip until it had finished loading. Trying to skip past it before the unknown time made nothing happen, it didn't actually register that you were trying to skip the intro until it had finished loading. Of course it never you told you when it was done either.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Which one? The Jorgensen family line has been in the series since 1701. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What determines the price anyway?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

Seems to fluctuate based on global player supply/demand. An actual cool use of UPlay actually.

Though with stuff being unbalanced atm, that's problematic. I'm sure prices will stabilize before too long but by that point a lot of people will have 'beaten' the game unless they give us a compelling reason to revisit and maintain your stuff.
Is it based on the surplus of other players, the stuff they sell or just what they make and how much? But I suspect no one knows that much detail yet.

Doesn't it always become a horrible unbalanced mess whenever someone applies free market between players? Wasn't simcity2013 supposed to have it but it was removed (might have been because they couldn't get it to work)? Or you end up with a mmo auction house where raw materials sell for several times the price of the crafted items?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Interesting, thanks guys. :)

EVE is really strange, it seems to be a special hell for spergs only they're not dead.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

When was combat in Anno anything but terrible?
Sea battles have been pretty decent overall I think. Not amazing but they have worked. Land combat was ok in 1602 when it handled like a slightly clumsy rts of its time.

quote:

Trying to do Anno with better combat just gives you The Settlers which isn't as good.
:catstare:
How dare you?!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

PiCroft posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, land combat hasn't been attempted since 1602. God drat, but I'm nostalgic for that game now. It had by far the nicest music of them all.
You could hire rts-like soldiers in 1503 and 1701 too, but they were less responsive and more wonky if I remember correctly.

Zaphod42 posted:

Hahaha, just having a laugh. Settlers games are really fun and probably appeal to the same crowd as Anno so everybody here should check out a few of them (series has made more radical changes from game to game than Anno also) but I've generally preferred Anno.
As long as they check out the correct Settlers games of course. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's the best option. Land combat is a bit of a mess and takes far longer than waiting for the cash to roll in and the seat cooldown. Frankly I'm not sure it's even any cheaper.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vodos posted:

I want to try that 2170 ARRC mod for 2070 now, but I made the mistake of uninstalling 2070 at some point and it's a huge clusterfuck to get it working now. I'm in a seemingly endless cycle of the game telling me it needs to reboot to activate Deep Ocean and never actually doing it.
I think I saw someone saying the same earlier in the thread, or maybe it was in the 2070 lp thread, and there is a way to get it to work. Or you could wait for ubisoft to patch and fix it. Which might happen before the real calender moves past the game name.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

That said, the combat has never been better because it's basically just a phone game now
:catstare:

That's one sentence I never thought I'd read. Ever. :negative:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Efexeye posted:

How do you even play Multiplayer in a city building/logistics sim anyway?
You friendly compete for reaching population milestones and monuments and so on. And of course to gang up on the AI and burn their islands to the ground through sabotage until you can afford to buy them out.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

I really regret spending money on a Ubisoft product.
Words of wisdom.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

quote:

Did you use the multiplayer mode in any of these games? Please mark them!
And then it lists 1503, get hosed ubisoft. t:mad:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

No multiplayer. It was going to be in at launch and then it was going to be patched in later but of course it was cancelled. I don't think ubisoft was involved, I was mostly angry at them for being lazy and dumb as usual. It's on the list of games of the series you've played multiplayer but unless you were part of the dev team it would be impossible.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 13, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GoG is having a summer sale which includes the whole old Anno bundle 1602, 1503, 1701 and 1404. You can buy them individually on sale too of course.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Myriarch posted:

If I'm new to Anno, should I get 1404, 1701, or even 1503 (the last of which I could play on my laptop as well)? I've gone balls deep into Factorio before so I like complexity and long supply chains.
1404 is the best of the old ones by far, and it's still on sale on GoG for about four bucks which means no drm or uplay involved! :v:

But there is no story or anything connecting them if you're worried about that. They all have campaigns (tutorials really) but you can safely get whichever you think looks the most fun.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

metasynthetic posted:

How many people seriously played Anno MP? I never once even considered doing it.
I've done countless hours of it (1602, 1404 and a bit 1701) with a friend over local network (same room). So much fun. :)

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 4, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't a season pass supposed to work for all dlc and the whole point in getting one?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Agean90 posted:

if they do that the jorgenson for that setting should be a hard as nails barbarian warlord.

Tehan posted:

...Roman colonies on fictional Mediterranean islands? Because I would play the poo poo out of that.
Absolutely yes. :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

What do they do? The webpage doesn't tell me.
Check the construction kit and building venice tabs at the top. :stare:

• Locked thread