Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

As a melee dps I literally pray that the ranged/caster uses it on a big trash pull/add phase when it's available, and I'd say my prayers get answered maybe 3% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Eopia posted:

If you're finding collectible leveling slow and painful then you're doing something wrong. You could probably hit 60 in a few hours from 56 by doing nothing but collectibles, since it's a far better source of exp for gatherers than anything else.

In this case the most common "something wrong" is "does not have 600gp through gear/food"

It makes such a huge difference in collectible gathering.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Leal posted:

Also the economy in ff14 is going to be balls because players can, at no cost, constantly relist prices and gladly tank the prices of literally everything at the slightest provocation. Hell, you can price match someone but put your item in another city and they'll immediately slash the prices by 20% in retaliation.

I GATHERED THE MATERIALS SO IT WAS FREE

I'm glad of it.

Edit: Speaking as someone who rushed DoH and DoL within the first couple of days of Heavwnaward, crafted their own level 60 crafting gear and got to profit from the like 600% markups at launch, once you've already leveled the jobs the effort:profit ratio is still obscene, and people that complain about not being able to maintain those kinds of profit margins by monopolizing some lovely leveling gear get no sympathy from me.

Doubly so if the item you're complaining about is fellow DoH/DoL gear.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 11, 2017

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Skaw posted:

The issue isn't how difficult it is to BiS at 60 currently, but how it was a dumb design maneuver to force players to halt the leveling grind to require more effort in gearing up between 50 and 51 than levels previous, and that hopefully SB will not employ the same sensibilities. BiS 60 should give you the advantage of not needing to regear for a while, much like BiS 50 did. But the stat increases between 50 and 51 leveling recipes was ridiculous for anyone breaking in to crafting after HW. And as someone like many, with all my crafts leveled and geared, I personally would not wish the same thing to happen at 61 for players behind the curve. Considering what they did for combat classes to fill the gap between level 50 post-ARR and HW, it was quite silly they did not do the same for crafting and, to a lesser extent, gathering.

BIS 50 gear was more than good enough to keep me going until 55 or so when HW launched, so it kinda sounds like that's exactly what they did? Like sure, I'll grant you the difficulty penalty for trying to craft 51 gear at 50 was needlessly punishing, but one, it only lasted a single level before it eased up significantly, and two, crafting at-level recipes with adequate (not BIS) gear meant you were guaranteed an end-product but not necessarily an HQ unless you worked for it (HQ mats, food buffs, etc.), which IMO is exactly where the difficulty should lie while you're leveling stuff.

Edit: The Lucis tool was literally the same stats as like a level 60 NQ tool, wasn't it? Meaning you could go almost the entire 50-60 without replacing it.

Double-edit: 57. Point still stands.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 12, 2017

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Skaw posted:

Thats what I said, BiS 50 could carry you for a while. But it was extremely futile to attempt leveling to 51 without working the crafting turn in chain or buying artisan gear which was, in my opinion, an unrealistic expectation for a new crafter at the time just because established crafters had already met that criteria.

Oh word, I reread your post and I get what you're trying to say. Thinking back, I'd agree that the endgame crafter had it significantly easier than a fresh Heavensward crafting newbie, but I'm not so sure the disparity was significant enough for me to be concerned for SB. Even for the people that went into 3.0 with Patrician's or AF level equipment, getting over that first 50-60 hump quickly was a matter of chaining NQ synths over and over as opposed to a smaller number of HQ ones, which was the exact same position the people in Artisan's gear found themselves for that same interim. Once you hit 51, the onus was on you to replace your entry set for the (relatively more accessible) heavensward crafting gear and then the disparity between those people and the ones who didn't have that same pressure (due to better ARR gear) was MUCH closer.

Considering you're always going to have a gulf between those who drop DoH/DoL at level cap and those who keep up witb the bleeding edge of the gearing curve, I think that's as fair as you can make the situation without either dropping the difficulty ceiling so much for newbies that you trivialize the crafts for people with better gear, or going the other way and sandwiching the stat difference so much that it seems you negate the efforts of the active crafters to prepare themselves.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

The history of Eorzea is probably the section of game lore most expanded upon by the lore book, since it has information regarding every past umbral and astral cycle. I'll post some scans when I get home if somebody doesn't beat me to it.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I started scanning the relevant pages until I realized it'd be something like 25 pages, which seemed like a lot to dump on the thread. This is a great summary of it anyway.

That said, it's a pretty great 25 pages, and I definitely recommend it to those of y'all who bought the book.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I can't in good conscience recommend someone do CUL 37-50 without CSII or BB, since that sounds like it'd be pretty miserable, but I guess it'd be doable with the other level 15 support skills.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

My heart went out to poor Table Cloth the day /playdead was released, but the male Lalafel emote would make a really lovely tablecloth, so his gimmick is safe.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Guys! We've got a gamebreaker.

Who's gonna be the first to spell "BAD" in their next 24-man come Stormblood?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I use provoke pretty regularly in low level dungeons

as an archer. :getin:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

itskage posted:

On the month I don't play I miss this? :smith:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

If they ever did go through with something like that it'd almost certainly be the other way around, with the classes getting the boot and the jobs taking over for 1-70.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

homeless snail posted:

The saddest I've ever felt in this game was playing foes requiem in a dungeon with just a WHM for a caster and they asked me why I was doing that, I was like "Just in case you wanted to do some damage" and they were like "Well I don't" and proceeded to just stand around for the rest of the instance. I usually mark it up to people being uncomfortable or unaware about healer DPS, but here was someone that was just saying flat out "No". Some people just Don't Want To Press The Bad Buttons

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Airships and gardening are both pretty overrated, tbh.

"Oh sweet I get to lay down fertilizer x9 every hour now, on top of having to remember to water my crops! In between that I get to send out a retainer clone, only it's more of a pain in the rear end to gear up"

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Bleu posted:

He also tells you to LB the fishman, which is basically the opposite of good advice.

Obviously the fight is a joke now, but I remember when the content was current that hysteria-laying Sahagin add was easily the most dangerous part of the fight, to the point where people would deliberately reserve a slot for a Paladin just to maximize the chain-stun time you got to burn it down.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

my internet persona and accompanying av are very important to me

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Thank god for Make it Rain because trying to breed this chocobo is suffering.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

^^ Fantastic

SonicRulez posted:

Today I learned you can roulette into stuff you've never done before. That seems like an odd choice considering what it's supposed to be for.

Reducing queue times?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

These are good dungeons too (for the most part) so there's no shame in unlocking them and then queueing for them normally if you're the type to care about ~~the experience~~ rather than tomes per hour.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Literally the only bad part of Hardflox is that babies complained about speedruns until S-E decided there was no fun allowed in future dungeons

I still remember the relic party finder listings that were locked to BLM/SMN. You guys brought it upon yourselves. :colbert:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

What's the deal with Jobs from a lore standpoint? From the handful of jobs I've done the context in which you get the job stone seems like they're mostly "chosen one" sorts of thing where the WoL is the only person beyond a few NPCs to get to be the job. On the other hand you have machinists which just seem like people with guns.

Machinist is literally the exception because it's a brand new discipline without an established lineage of experience that your job stone draws from. What's cool is that the game description for that job stone is specifically different from all the others to account for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

How could I forget to post a picture, when this thread is already suffering from a severe highduder shortage.

Emstidor Diabolos
"oh my god I forgot to do everything before maintenance."

• Locked thread