Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I will miss my BLM 2.X rotation because it involved pumping out as many flares as possible and it was fun stripping aggro from tanks and I hope lv60 BLM is as fun and I will level one to find out

I also found out today that Presence of Mind is a great dps cooldown for WHM and I'm a lv56 WHM. Really gotta :gitgud: with my classes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Truga posted:

The best is "turning off" cleric stance while it's still on cooldown during first pull.

Then being annoyed for the rest of the dungeon at my poo poo damage, and tank squishiness, only to notice I had it inverted the entire time :v:

I've started leveling WHM again and I gently caress up cleric stance at least once per dungeon. Either it's on cooldown and I try to take it off, or I get hasty and try to queue up removing and tap the button twice, or I just plain forget my current stance and now the tank just lost half his hp better turn off (oops it was off now its on) cleric and start curing him and wondering why my cure 2's are doing jack :saddowns:

DRKs in SV in level 25 gear aren't helping my scrub skills either :v:

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Question about glamouring: can I glamour a weaver-related item over an armourer-related item?

The glamor item and the item you're applying the glamor to can't have mutually exclusive equip requirements. For example you could glamor a SMN exclusive item like AF gear to DoM gear, but when equipped by the BLM it'll act like there's no glamor and show the base item. You can also glamor something available to all classes onto the same DoM-only gear and have it work fine. You can't mix 'n match different sets though, like DoW gear on top of DoM gear. Unfortunately you can't dress up every class in the WVR AF set.

e: spelling, also efb

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

WobblySausage posted:

My dude. Maining Ninja at the moment (level 46).

When does the leather armor start to look better? I don't know how much longer I can take walking around in subligars and assless chaps.

Make sure you do your job quest at level 45 and 50. You'll get your job specific armor (except for the new jobs, Dark Knight, Machinist, and Astrology) and a recolor ilv90 version which will springboard you into mid-level 50 gear. The variety of how equipment looks expands a lot at level 50 too, some dungeons have their own distinct gear sets (some became crafted leveling gear for 50-60) and you get glamors which lets you select the look of your gear instead of being stuck with whatever is best stat-wise. Glamors only let you use gear that you could equip anyways though, so no ninjas glamored in tank gear for example.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

RC Cola posted:

After getting the 60 msq what should I do first? Grind dungeons for gear?

lv60 PVP Roulette! It's different from the rest of the content you've been doing, has good rewards (the law and esoteric tome rewards are strictly participation, you only get wolf marks / pvp glamor gear currency and pvp exp for your FC winning), and maybe you'll like it!

For PvE stuff, go to Idylshire and Coerthas and look for lv60 quests to unlock the lv60 dungeons. Do them once to unlock EXDR which gives 75 esoterics each day (40 from the dungeon +35 from the daily bonus). It's only two dungeons so it's easy to burn out on EXDR quickly though

(Also definitely take a break if you're feeling tired. Don't burn yourself out trying to cap poo poo or gear up or w/e)

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Summoner doesn't have many "fun" buttons at lv50 which I think is the problem. Once you get Fester at lv35 you basically have all your interesting ARR job-specific skills. Tri-Bind is a wet fart except in one fight and in PVP, Spur is a basic pet dps cooldown, and Enkindle is a OGCD DPS move your pet does every 90s(?). Once you hit 52 and start getting stuff like Painflare, Tri-Disaster, Dreadwyrm Trance, and Deathflare the class becomes a lot more engaging to play. It is a class with a lot of timers that you need to keep track of to optimize your DPS and you can't forget entirely about your pet either. Leveling one is easy too if you're willing to try Scholar for healing queues.

I can't comment on lv60 Black Mage but they're fun at 50 and maximizing all the flares to get giant numbers to appear. Their rotation isn't too involved for decent DPS up to 50 but leveling up can get boring when it's just the spam of Fire 1's until your MP is low.

tl;dr Try both and see which sticks with you better.

e: Forgot the utility of Summoner and having access to healing (garbage), an impromptu tank (Titan which is also garbage but can pull through if your tank falls off the boss of Neverreap :v: ), and can resurrect which can save your actual healer's MP in healer-intensive fights.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 19, 2015

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

kafziel posted:

... I could have sworn Tri-Disaster burned an Aetherflow stack to use.

I thought this too for the longest time leveling SMN. I don't think I tried it until lv59 or so when I finally read the tooltip properly! :suicide:

One extra use for Painflare is when you gotta burn ads down right away but don't expect them to live long enough for dots to be useful. 200 ogcd potency that you can weave with Ruin 2's 80 isn't bad.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

If it's a dungeon use the LB when the final boss is at <7% or so to troll the dps who didn't use it sooner

I think the only legit use of the tank LB was in turn 13? Never did it so I can't say for certain. Healer LB is when a wipe is incoming, a healer's still alive, and you got three bars which is pretty rare circumstances.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Wasn't the i110 crafted gear originally intended to be catch up gear (and hosed it up in every way)? I'm not sure if I read it once or hearsay my brain mutated into fact.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The real trick to winning PVP is holding three nodes while the other two GCs fight for the last one. I don't know what the hell they're trying to do besides lose but it had made PVP super easy this week :v:

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

One way to tell what crafted items are in demand is to look at what levequest turn ins are. There's plenty of players who'll buy their way through leveling crafting instead of doing actual crafting that you can take advantage of. Look into them and see how much profit you can get and if they're moving. I made a fair bit in 2.x doing that for a while.

Another possibility is level 50 glamor markets. I'm not sure if they're good now though but that was another source of cash in the 2.x days. Since they're glamors there still might be a demand for them and you only need NQ materials. I made cash through the Light Steel markets since the Dark Steel Ingots would be ~15-18k NQ, light steel plate was pennies, and something else that was maybe a few k. Make a few (NQ crafts are also easy) and put them up for 70-100k. Mind they don't move very fast but it was a decent income stream for me in 2.x . Coke / Darksteel Ingots should be cheap now too but light steel plates have shot up in price instead though last I checked.

I haven't done either since HW so I'm not sure if they're good money making games now though.

If you have lv60 retainers send them out too. Check what they can get and what's selling for decent prices and send them on a stream of hunting ventures. If it's a lv51-60 venture you'll get a mix of 10 NQ and HQ items, repeat a few times and it should be enough to sell for a couple thousand.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: What duties qualify for the Tankless Job achievement? (http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/achievement/b84f76c3fe3/) I feel like I've done more than enough high-level duties to get the first achievement.

Binding Coil (except turn 3) and extreme primals. I'm not sure if lv60 content like Alexander gives any but I'd guess so.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Why can no one remember how to do the slime boss in coperbell mines??? :psyduck:

For all the poo poo I give Tam-Tara and Totorak in fc chat I'll still take them over Copperbell because of this. I'll take consistent but slow over rolling the pubbie rng that the group knows how to handle that boss.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

If Summoner gets more timers my brain dps is going to melt

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

SMN at 60 is good and fun to play, don't let the horrors of playing it prior to Painflare/Tridisaster/Deathflare sully you on it! However...

Fister Roboto posted:

Get used to seeing your character start to do the Akh Morn animation and then suddenly stop because you were a half second late on it.

this is the worst :smithicide:

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

My solution to losing Deathflare is just use instant-casts like Ruin 2 / Fester / Painflare when Dreadwyrm's at 2-3s then queue up Deathflare. It's not ideal but I just want to make sure I always do Orbital Dragon Lasers at every opportunity.

Also make your Dow/m retainers the classes you intend to level and gear up. Hand-me-downs make it easy to gear them up. Their maximum level for a class is YourCurrentLevel - 5 until 50 where it suddenly becomes equal to yours. HQ or stat gear doesn't matter either*, just ilevel. Feel free to load up your tank retainer with all the piety right side you want!

*not true for gathering retainers afaik, to be clear. I don't know the details though

e: Also retainers are classes only, retainers can't become job-only jobs like Dark Knight and they can't equip job-exclusive gear like AF gear or relics.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 9, 2015

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The healer set looks nice but :agreed: on the rest

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Niton posted:

Daystar Circlet was great, and the Aurum Regis one dyes even better.

I wanted an armored healer look for some time and the Daystar hand and feet were a great step towards that. The PVP Swan hat looks good with it too but I can't find any drat chest to complete the look. :negative:

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

nuru posted:

Prototype Gordian is literally healer armor.

True, I'm just not a fan of the look. Maybe it'll look better dyed a different color. (I want dyable versions of the original CT gear too, I want my hot pink scylla healing set too! :saddowns: )

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

gently caress healing glove drops. I did about fifty LotA runs in 2.5 trying to get the healer gloves and body and I only ever saw the chest drop once. I'd still be trying to farm them if the queue time for LotA wasn't 20+ minutes :smith: 24-man roulette in 3.1 yoshi.p plz

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The guy you give the turn ins to next to the quartermaster handles promotions in each GC. To promote you need a couple thousand seals that increases for each rank. Some promotions also require either finishing a level in the GC hunting log (which also requires completing Halitali and Cutter's Cry as some mobs in the log only appear in those dungeons) or doing a quest that's basically doing Darkhold and Aurum Vale.

So basically get seals from roulettes, hunting log, fates, and turning in old dungeon gear. Check up to see what you need to do to promote, and do the hunting log / dungeon quests as required. You do need a lot of seals and lv1-50 gear turn in seals got nerfed when HW came out so it might take some extra legwork. Provisioning quests can also give seals if you're doing any crafting / gathering and the turn ins scale to your level. They give decent EXP to boot too.

There is a third GC hunting log that requires doing Wanderer's Palace but I don't remember if that's needed for max GC rank.

e: For reference, Halitali is a lv20 dungeon, Cutter's Cry is 38, Darkhold is 44, Aurum Vale is 47, and Wanderer's Palace is lv50. None are required by the story

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Doing the MSQ does unlock the quests to unlock everything though! :v:

There's a guide that has all the quests and whatnot you have to do to unlock everything, hopefully somebody has the link for it. It's handy so you don't end up missing something critical to the game like dyes and glamors and mounts.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Another thing to know with combat cross class abilities is that they don't carry traits over. So for example, vanilla Blood for Blood increases your damage dealt by 10% and damage taken by 25%. Lancers/Dragoons get a trait to make it increase your damage dealt to 30% and damage taken to 15%. When you cross class that skill you get the vanilla version (10%/25%) instead of the traited one (30%/15%).

I know it doesn't have much to do with what you're trying to do but still a good thing to know for down the road.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I'd totally resub and do 24-mans if the queue for them wasn't awful. yoshi-p plz add raid roulette to get people to do them again and I'll heal another 50 LotAs trying to even see the Royal Gloves drop :smith:

e: adding exp to all lv50 content before any roulette bonus might be neat too

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

A raid and EX Primal roulette would be great.

Also let Coil tie in some way to the new Relic.

This would be the greatest clusterfuck. Pubbies abandon Steps as it is now, I don't think a single pug would survive even rolling Titan EX in a roulette.

do it yoshi-p

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

this is also me playing monk as I inevitably forget my rotation and confuse my positionals

e:

Mr. Nice! posted:

IT IS DONE

drat, how long did that take? :golfclap:

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Some of the hate for AV comes from it being the last dungeon before the lv50 jump in power and getting your final abilities in ARR. Plus it was slower in ARR because the gear sync would sync to NQ gear, not HQ gear. This was changed in HW so AV runs are a bit easier and faster just due to better gear when you're lv50+.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

A Spider Covets posted:

so question about chocobo breeding since I've been working on that

do you have to like, do anything specific to get the "best" stats other than buy the highest ranking covering?

Get Choco Cure from the Healer tree then go DPS. Choco Cure can heal you for a decent amount so you can keep on killing mobs. Chocobos can't tank worth spit so the Tank tree isn't very good, Choco Regen is garbage, and Choco Medica is rarely relevant so just train your bird to heal you and be a vicious murderer of mobs.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Oops, yeah, I'm dumb and illiterate. My brain read chocobo and went straight to fighting chocobros.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, they added duty roulettes in the early days of ARR to get leveled players to do older content. The big one is leveling roulette which tries to group roulette players with players that queued for a specific dungeon with a focus on new players doing dungeons for the first time. The roulette gives bonus EXP upon completion, awarding more the bigger the difference between the roulette's character's class level and the dungeon's level so high level players getting a low level dungeon can still get decent EXP from it. If a character is max level in it they'll get endgame currency instead of the EXP bonus. There's similar roulette for other content and they help get high level players to do older content. e2: You'll unlock it once you complete the second dungeon which is around level 16 or so. /e2:

It doesn't cover everything though, the ARR/level 50 8-man and 24-man raids don't have a roulette for them. The 8-mans will require you to round up a group to do them (e: there is a queue but I'd imagine the queues are long dead at this point /e:) and the 24-mans require sitting in a queue for an hour. Neither are required to reach the expansion but there is story in both.

The roulettes will be slower at this point though. You'll get priority when you do the dungeons for the first time but after that it's the regular queue and the game's currently in a mid-patch lull. Unless you're a tank, then queues are practically instant. Healers might take a bit, DPS have the longest queue times.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 7, 2015

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Aw, drat. Like how long?

It's been a while since I was last on so I can't give any good numbers. I'd eyeball 15m+ queues? Basically start a queue when you're doing the bear rear end collection side quests.

I'm glad they said they'd do something about the 24-man queues. Those are my favorite content in the game and I want to do them again :unsmith:

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

At first I thought it was just the absence of jewelery. Sure some str right side is nice but pretty meh at level 20. I didn't even notice he didn't have a shield 'till I read the replies :shepicide:

e: basically what cheetah said

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I want a dancer tank just to see those slick dance moves done in full tincan plate armor :v:

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

There's been times in 24 mans where somebody is low on health/dead and is out of range of Cure and I have no loving clue where they are so I start panning the camera and running around the arena trying to get them in range*. I'd probably have an aneurysm healing with melee range. :smith:

* Said targets are usually off in some distant corner and died to a mechanic or off loving around with another alliance in something like Atomos.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I found Freeze only useful if you're farming North Than fates. It targets an area so you don't have to worry about finding a target and having it die while casting a Fire 2, it's Umbral so you don't run out of MP, and you don't have to be close like Blizzard 2. Otherwise it's garbage.

That said I have no idea if N Than fate farming is worth doing now so it's entirely possible that Freeze is useless.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

In retrospect blowing all my centuro seals on frivolous things last night was maybe a bad idea :v: (but there's lots of time to get back to 500 before Tuesday)

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

And you gotta get to ilv170 to get into Alex anyways for new players

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

What limit break changes? Not the one where I, a Dragoon, now make a giant dragon lay waste to my foes!?

I'd assume the change to how having a party with same/similar jobs means the limit gauge charges slower, not that each job has their own unique version.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

Titan and Shiva are the most fun pony farms (Garuda deserves honorable mention for being piss easy) but gently caress that stingy rear end fish motherfucker Leviathan and his tedious-rear end fight and broken droprate.

All I ever want is Leviathan's GLD sword to finish a Leviknight glamor thing. I got the pony four instances in back in 2.5 but all the way up to farming him last night I still have not seen the sword once. Now monk petas on the other hand dropped four times yesterday :smithicide: (also gently caress mirrors too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

sword_man.gif posted:

yes, and coat. it's not a weekly quest, you just get a thing dumped into your inventory at the end of void ark you can exchange for one

Neat, I assumed they were going to make it cost more than one of that Void Ark token for twines. I'm going to be drowning in them like with carboncoats again, never earing enough esos to buy all the gear that I can upgrade! :v:

• Locked thread