Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Leal posted:

Post your catgirl

I'm ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Minrad posted:

People seem to universally dislike a lot of the new abilities or class mechanics.

It seems to be mostly bard players, and it's pretty obvious why. You spend 51 levels getting used to playing one way, then you're suddenly expected to park in one spot like a caster?

I haven't played around enough to join the "Yoship ruined bard forever" hate party just yet, but from what I have played, I just plain don't like the Minuet. It runs counter to everything I enjoy about bard.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Good music, then? :v:

Very much so. Every primal's music continues to be the best primal music.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
PSA for anyone looking to roll on Excalibur: All servers are going down tonight for maintenance, so you'll have a good chance to get in when they come back up. This is one of the few times you're guaranteed to not have to contend with all the idlers, so set an alarm or something.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

As a side note, finishing all the Hildibrand trials is a requirement for unlocking Trial Roulette. Fortunately they're all easy with PUGs.

This isn't true anymore. With 3.0, Trial Roulette works like LLDR and includes any trials you've unlocked.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Yoshi-P's on it, guys.

Yoshi-P posted:

Hello, everyone,
FFXIV producer/director Yoshida here.
Thank you for all the feedback you've been posting regarding bard.

I'd like to take a moment to discuss how the development team recognizes the current situation and our plans for adjustment.

The Wanderer's Minuet
In regards to the Wanderer's Minuet, the ability that you learn from the level 52 job quest, we are aware of the following points of feedback:
Until reaching level 60, using Wanderer's Minuet will result in less damage being dealt in comparison to when you are not using it.
It's difficult to feel the benefits of Wanderer's Minuet versus the risk of not being able to move while attacking, which was a perk of playing as a bard.
It's difficult to use Wanderer's Minuet because the casting time required for activating it is too long.
As a result of the initial bad impression given by the first problem, and the length of time required to cast it, I think that it's still difficult to feel the benefits of this ability even when you hit level 60.

The team is currently working on fixes to resolve these problems.

In addition to making adjustments so that the effect of this ability is fitting right after you learn it, we will be making it easier to switch into and out of Wanderer's Minuet and eliminating the current aspects that make it difficult to use. At the same time we will be paying close attention to the balance of each skill so the damage output at level 60 does not largely increase.

The Warden's Paean
We've been receiving feedback that the utility and value of using the Warden's Paean seems low, and the development team is aware of this. We are currently looking into adjustments.

Regarding the bug wherein actions cannot be used temporarily
I apologize for the inconveniences caused by this bug. We addressed this in today's hotfix. I apologize for the time it took to properly address.

There has only been a small amount of time since you all have reached level 60 (this goes for all jobs; not just bard), and the new raid will be opening shortly, so I'm sure you will continue to explore your jobs with trial and error.

The development team is constantly keeping a watch on job balance, and we will be reading over all of the feedback we receive after the raid has opened and making adjustments as necessary.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Is the trailblazer set for gatherers even really worth getting considering it has no meld slots? Would the HQ serpentskin set be better to shoot for because if so I'd rather by grinding gil than scrips.

HQ serpentskin is going to require either grinding up a crafter yourself or spending several million gil right now. A full set of blue scrip gear will take maybe 2-3 hours of grabbing collectables. As a level 58 fisher using vendor-bought 55 gear and rod, I was able to get about 4 of the noontide whatevers (the lowest level fish that gives scrip) during each 20 minute window they were available. Each one gave 32-38 scrip.

Sure, the crafted set will be better, but you're looking at an order of magnitude more difficulty to acquire it. Scrip gear seems to be a great stopgap, which is exactly what it was designed to be.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Meldonox posted:

I was just sitting here at work thinking about video games and realized that early access started 17 days ago and since then I've already clocked ten days of /ptime.

What the hell is wrong with me? :negative:

I know, right? Like, what the hell did you waste those other seven days on?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Do you need to beat Norm Wanderer's Palace to get to it?

You do indeed.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also another thing of note is that it's really, really weird being in a guild of 500+ people. In FFXI, people in your ls would wave to you whenever you walked by and would say hello when you logged on. In this, I kinda don't bother because I see about a million goons I don't know wherever I go. It's almost like a small town vs. a big city kinda thing. In the country, you generally nod and wave to strangers, but if you do that in the city, people look at you like a weirdo.

The traditional goon greeting is /pet.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also while you guys have been helpful here (and I greatly appreciate it!) the actual FC chat is almost like barrens chat sometimes. I can't think of anyone who has been a dick to me personally except for one particular goon in 1.0, but man you guys like bringing up drama sometimes.

Really? Yikes. In the year or so I've been playing, I don't remember DGKK chat ever getting anywhere near general zone chat levels of stupidity. Like, not in the same ballpark, not even the same sport.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Malloreon posted:

I just hit 60 last night and I'm ilevel 143. Do I farm ARF, Neverreap, and Fractal for higher level stuff?

Well, about that...

You're going to need i145 to enter your next dungeon, so you'll need to get at least one piece upgraded to law gear first. You can get law tomes by running trial roulette, HLDR, or LLDR at 60; doing A/S rank hunts; or a couple other oddball things like maps.

Personally, I upgraded my bracelet since it was cheap, and I was still using a tome bracelet from level 50.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

bonewitch posted:

Did a bit more playing with WM and it loving owns. I'm parsing up around 10% lower than non-support dps, compared to 30% lower pre-change. (10-15% was how much lower you usually did in 2.x)

Are you looking at target dummies or real fights? If fights, how much stance dancing is involved?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Verranicus posted:

But how do you know which is which, is my problem.

It's based on the size of the pull on your line. When you get the little tug that barely moves the tip of your rod, use Precision. Otherwise, use Powerful. You'll know you got it right if your rod sparkles and makes a sound effect.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Also I'm not sure why he mentioned the first three hard mode primals cuz I don't think they're mandatory for anything?

They're required for starting the 2.5 MSQ. Most people just didn't notice it since we'd already done them for relics or whatnot.

Mr. Nice! posted:

They are for trials roulette iirc.

Nah, trials roulette got changed with 3.0 so that it works like LLDR. It unlocks once you've completed any two of the trials on the list and will only put you in ones you've completed.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

a cat youtube posted:

well drat i probably missed being able to get on excal this morning then

Try again tomorrow morning. The servers are coming down tonight for a patch, which will kick out all the people who never log off, so when they come back up will be your best chance to join us.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

mightygerm posted:

Yeah, whats really shocking is the massive gulf between bad and competent dps. I'm not sure if this is the game's fault or just a consequence of how easy the story and leveling is. I feel like its even worse in HW because it seems like pugs aren't adapting to the new skills at all, and just regressing to 2.x rotations. I swear that half the BLMs I see in DF don't use enochian at all.

Eventually people hit a cap on how much they are willing to study and practice for a videogame, and I don't see how any game-related content is going to change that.

If the game gets too "hard" for them to play, they aren't going to suddenly up and say "Oh gee, I'd better download a parser and run drills on the practice dummy every night." They're going to say "Oh well, guess I'm not getting any farther than this" and either take to the forums to beg for content nerfs or find another game to play.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

I got to say that I'm a touch disappointed that after 2.55 you can still walk around Ul'dah like nothing happened-not even some bullshit handwave.

If you talk to the random NPCs, most of them do have new dialogue that relates to this.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Does it matter which floor you get them from? (Other than THIS IS THE ONLY EFFICIENT MODEL OF GEARING UP?)

It matters when you've already gotten something else from that floor and you're locked out.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

nuru posted:

NY point was mainly that gearing via just scrip is going to take a very long time unless prices are in the realm of 50 to 100 per piece. The vendor vs melded idea was pretty clear though.

I took a quick look at the gathering gear this morning before work. The mainhands require 26 Rowena's tokens each, at 50 red scrips per. With 450 red scrips a week, that's 3 weeks.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Moldy Taxes posted:

I've seriously considered buying a 3rd optional retainer, but of all things, the only thing holding me back is the thought of having to level another retainer through ventures. Having to check back every hour to receive useless crap I'm gonna toss feels like a chore.

The 18 hour ventures work well for leveling, since you can set it and forget it. Alternatively, just check back every hour since you're already checking on your other retainers every hour to retrieve Mythrite Sand, Deepeye Tears, Chimera Manes, or any of the other items you can resell for mad cash.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Oh really? drat, I'll start going with that now. DGKK's company chest is full of coke so I assumed demand wasn't big for it :v:

Remember that we are both huge and made an organized push to get people to contribute coke early on. There are plenty of 20-30 man FCs who are puttering around with airships.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
If only DPS queues worked the same way...

More importantly, red scrips for fishing collectables have gone up to 12, or 16 if starred, from 10 or 12 if starred. That makes things a little easier, but won't really be a huge jump. You're still going to have to be prepared to sink some time into it. Of course, if you're not, I don't know how you made it this far with fishing in the first place.

I'm still on track to be slinging a fancy new rod by this weekend. Depending on what collectable windows I can hit tonight, I may stock up so I have some ready to turn in right after the reset.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
They've added items from last year's Moonfaire Faire and anniversary event to the Mog Station. $2 for the Bomb Dance emote, $3 for each yukata, and $5 each for Thancred and Minfilia minions.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

If you look at revenu/subscriber numbers its more of a WoW suicide than anything else.

It turns out the true WoW killer... is WoW!!!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
There's an All Servers downtime scheduled tonight for hotfixes, so all right-thinking individuals who want to roll on Excalibur should make plans to be around when they come back up.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The yukata in the event are actually different from last year's; they're the 1.0 yukata.

Oh hey, I'll have to go back and grab those then. I thought they were the same ones I already had. No big deal seeing as I was already planning to run the event FATEs a bunch to level characters. I have a bunch of classes at 30 that I could stand to get to 32 so I can outfit them in Brayflox gear. The quick pop rate combined with the close proximity and the hordes of people running them makes it rather painless.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Emalde posted:

Anyone really hankering for the Realm Reborn soundtrack BR and want to do a cost-split on it? I really want the minion but absolutely don't need any more physical stuff cluttering up my living space.

Willing to go 30(me)/20(you) on it since I'm bad with money anyway. :retrogames:

Before you jump, double-check that the minion is still available, because I'm almost positive it's not. They were only included in the first runs of discs.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Until you purchase the software you're going to be using, yes.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
A Realm Reborn launched 8/27/2013.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, I don't see what you're so worried about. Most of us started Heavensward with 0 exp into 50, and it wasn't a big deal.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

So yeah so far the game is fun and I can definitely see myself at least making it to the end of the basic story. I do wish there was more stuff I could do with non-randomly assigned players at my level. Maybe that's my fault for joining PBC instead of, like, a newbie guild.

Be sure to ask around when you're doing dungeons or whatever. There are still plenty of people leveling alt classes, and on-level dungeons are a great way to do that. When I see someone asking for a group for a story dungeon, I always try to jump in if I've got a class around that range.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
There is a distinct lack of giant afros in those poll options.

The democratic system has failed me yet again.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I expect they'll announce a date this next weekend during the Live Letter from the Tokyo Game Show.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 8, 2015

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Is there a newbie guide that explains how leveling up other classes and stuff works?

Each class has its own experience track, gear set, and skill bindings. It works almost like switching characters in other MMOs, except that you can do it at any time. If you switch classes outside of a sanctuary area, your skills will be on cooldown for a few seconds.

Once you've reached level 10 in your first class, you can just walk into any guild and speak to the receptionist. They give you an intro quest to talk the the guildmaster who will give you your first mainhand for that class. Equipping the mainhand means you're now acting as that class, with access to its skills and putting experience towards it. Starting a new class will also give you an additional gear set in the armoury system so you can save a set of equipment for each class you have.

Any combat class other than your highest leveled one will earn a 100% bonus on experience gained below level 50, and a 50% bonus above level 50. This bonus means you can get a secondary class up to 15 to unlock your job stone by finishing your first couple hunting logs and running a few low level FATEs. It doesn't really make a big difference whether you do this now or once wait until you hit 30 on your main class, just so long as you get it done and get your job stone ASAP.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Just saw this on reddit:

quote:

So I just acquired the Magitek Mount from doing the Main Quests, but when I go to use it it won't let me. How exactly can I summon this mount? I can't look anything up since most wiki sites are blocked here at work.

EDIT: Thanks everyone! I did use the item in my inventory, but I have not done the quest to be able to actually use mounts.

Dude made it all the way through the end of 2.0 without a mount...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I will pull in Tiny Axolotls all day long, but Thunderbolt Eels can gently caress right off.

God forbid the weather is cloudy because then you will get zero of the fish you need to catch during a time-limited window and instead nothing but Pipira Pira for an hour straight.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Zandar posted:

WP doesn't unlock the third GC hunting log, the third GC hunting log just includes monsters from WP. It also isn't required for anything except an achievement (which gives you the GC escutcheon, I think).

Completing each GC Hunting Log gives you a mammet minion carrying the GC banner.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Obscurity posted:

I will never understand the constant desire for PvP in primarily PvE focused and centric games. Like Final Fantasy is so engrained in a PvE centric world and environment and story..but I WANT TO KILL THAT DUDE THAT JUST HELP ME SLAY THE DRAGON :psyduck:

What you want is Guild Wars 2. Pretty Princess and PvP haven.

The only thing to understand is that most of these people do not actually want challenging combat versus other real players. What they want is the ability to be a complete dick to people with no real consequences.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Shy posted:

What's that about?

It's about ignorance and thinly-veiled racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
No, the level cap is per class, not in total. You can reach level 60 in everything on the same character.

• Locked thread