Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
drat this expo kicks rear end. The locations are beautiful, the music is great, and the Astro is fun as hell. I barely have the ilvl to get into Fractal, and just did a run with a dark knight and two mechanists, and it was such a smooth run - at least better than some runs with the original classes. At least from my limited perspective, the new classes look good.

I only have 2 real issues. I levelled my Astro from 53 to 57 just doing MSQ and Sohm Al (and my WHM is in that grind now), and I still don't have the drat Skydruid gloves for my glamour. Aside from that, my final two abilities feel like cruel jokes masquerading as real abilities. A regen bubble where I can't move or cast for 18 seconds? Thanks. 4 more seconds on my card effects? Wow. Best case scenario is like party wide 5% more damage on 2 attacks. Still though, fun as hell. I have a pretty large list of things I'd kill to see to the class (or just in battle stance dancing) but I like it. I just feel my 50 WHM has better tools for the job, let alone the awesome 52+ skills they get.

Actually, make a third issue. poo poo warriors with their poo poo deliverance, tanking in poo poo slaying gear with barely 500 hp more than I have.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It's the same as DRKs who insist on using blood weapon on cooldown for the mad deeps or something. It's a higher skill ceiling than most tanks are used to, and bad tanks will be bad. When the skill ceiling is higher and they reach for the stars the crash and burn is all the more spectacular for it. Hopefully these people will get shamed out of doing stupid poo poo and actually swap stance and use cooldowns correctly instead of just being dumb, but who knows :iiam:

That's the hope. I play with a couple great warriors that really know how to gear and stance dance, but DRs in my short bus server can have some interesting characters.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

a cat on an apple posted:

Collective Unconscious is a fantastic skill, please don't knock it. In Diurnal Sect, you can easily give a full party a Regen with a combined Cure Potency of 200, and you can give a few people a Regen with a combined Cure Potency of 300 -- just shy of the Potency of your Benefic I, mind you. It's very strong AoE healing for 0 MP cost. Also, it doesn't seem to count as a Channeled spellcast - you can just sit there and tank damage so long as it doesn't disposition you without ever being interrupted, and with as strong healing as it offers, dodging telegraphs is more than optional. In Nocturnal Sect it's not quite as glorious in that it's slightly less flexible, but with a proper card buildup, you can give someone a 25% damage reduction. It might seem weak because you can't do any other actions, but it doesn't have an MP cost, meaning any circumstance you can use Collective Unconscious instead of actually healing you will gain a huge amount of net MP by doing so (12-16% of your Max MP, depending on tick timers, for the full duration.)

Celestial Opposition is an AoE 4 second stun that adds 5 seconds to all of the buffs you place, including Aspected Benefic and Aspected Helios. Combined with Time Dilation, you can do crazy things such as giving people reduced TP/MP costs for a whole minute.

Don't get me wrong, I use both abilities pretty much whenever given the chance. I was a bit hard on them in the first post. I actually favour the nocturnal stance CU because I think throwing up a quick 10% shell up when I need it, and quickly getting back in the action is more useful than giving a free 150 extra regen for the few seconds I (and everyone around me) can stay still, when I'd rather just throw another helios and get back in the action. The need for mobility is just killing me this expo though, so I don't find many situations where I can feasibly give a 18 second regen and not just get squashed by a boss. I can't find many reasons to be in nocturnal though, either.

The 5 seconds extra regen with CO might give one tick, might give two but either way it's an extra 1 or 2k for me, which is decent. But an extra 5 seconds on ability costs or extra damage I just don't feel add up to a lot - especially when compared to Assize, Tetragrammaton, or Indomitabilty which I can see making or breaking an encounter. Which is probably my biggest problem - I spent so much time on the other two healers that I want to bolt some of their skills onto mine. I'm also used to having multiple "oh poo poo" buttons available to me. Essential Dignity is nice, but it's no benedition + tetragram, or Lustrate. I'm really comparing apples and oranges with the three classes, because when I get more experienced with Astro, I might not feel the need to have those other skills or better use the new ones.

Time dilation is just awesome, I can't argue.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Post-MSQ spoiler: When Generic Hyur shows up on the moon, is he a WAR for everyone, or does he change to whatever job you are?

It was a male Hyur warrior for me, and imagine it is for everybody. It mirrors the warrior in the opening movie.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I have no idea what's actually going on in the fight and I just throw green numbers at people, but the whole thing is awesome.

It's also a good place to test out LB3 limit breaks, and since there's so much poo poo going on no one will really notice and get pissed off.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Evil Fluffy posted:

The 24 man raid is ...
More importantly, a FF6 raid dungeon means we might get FF6 character outfits as class gear from one of the dungeons. :dance:

I would have to level so many more jobs, and farm so many sets. :(

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Has there been any word on a post 2.0 and 3.0 soundtrack release? I have the first two, but that's still a ton of missing content.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: Speaking of FF6, how do I get the magitek armor mount?

It's the reward for beating the main story quest, before you get into the postgame content at 50.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

I hate cutscenes where someone I like dies, right beside my AST or WHM, minutes after I was healing other grievous wounds.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Tried Bis Ex for the first time last night. Average ilvl was about 165-170, which to my understanding is a bit overkill.

When we finally killed the carapace (we wiped a couple times before that happend), it took two full rounds (three dragonkiller volleys because of the stack debuff). And then we promptly wiped repeatedly when everyone blew up on their coloured dragon.

It was pretty maddening, especially since most of these people cleared T13. I really like the people in my FC, but the skill ceiling on this non excal server is in the basement.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just chalk it up to Haedaelyn and/or the echo.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Spaceman Future! posted:

e. I also party chat every single ability when playing ninja. /p DANCING EDGE: FEAR MY HANZO STEEL

This is almost the right way to play. You need some <se.*> in there so people can recognize your skills by sound alone.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Fractal Continuum is rad as hell and it makes me sad whenever I roulette to neverreap.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

She was just sort of randomly casting blizzard and fire. Obviously, she parsed comically low. (I did get a little snarky when I should have been patient, I'm only human.)

Almost every black mage I play with just bounces back between fire/blizzard at random and it makes me want to cry. I swear a few of them just hit things at random because they'll bliz II at range or throw sleep at a boss or flare at full mp in the middle of a fight.

One moved to bard and the other's thinking about switching to SMN so maybe I'll grind my teeth less when grouping with them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ilifinicus posted:

Self-destruct is a mechanic that begins once one of the two things are dead, you've gotta bring them down almost at the same time like in Coil turn 1. You sure this isn't what you were seeing?

I've seen this multiple times when both were definitely alive at ~20% because our DPS is dismal.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rei_ posted:

After I cleared it in the morning I did it with my static, among us being myself and the guy who had the server first so we just kinda quietly did our tanking jobs and let them figure out the mechanics themselves. It was pretty fun watching people figure out all the mechanics blind. It was a nice experience honestly, I'd reccomend people actually go into those fights with their friends with no info. They're simple enough that they sort of become fun puzzles to figure out and optimize, and I think understanding the mechanics on an individual level will help when Savage comes out

100% this. Nothing so far has needed more than a a few attempts to figure out (execution on the other hand...), and it's fun actually paying attention to the encounter to see what works / what doesn't. And I can say every person in my group understood the fight, rather than the shitfests in coil where they would just try do things mechanically (and fail) because they don't know what's actually happening.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't feel ready for Alexander yet and I wish it was another 2-4 weeks away. And I play this game an embarrassing amount as is.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Luna Was Here posted:

i did it, im a jackpot hitter

Now do three in a row.

Best I've ever gotten is 123, 789, 123.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Fister Roboto posted:

Black mage spamming Fire 3.

e: and using transpose to switch to ice

I see you've played with my FC BLMs.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
What are the rules for the armoury chest? I've put my 45/50 job gear into it, and the occasional glamour piece seems to go in, but my inventory is getting full of other things that seem like they should work but don't.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Magil Zeal posted:

Do you mean the armoire? It's mostly for certain quest-related blue-background gear and most seasonal/event rewards. As well as some other quest-and-GC-related items like the Patriot's Choker for some reason. There aren't hard and fast rules for it though, since last I checked I still had a few pieces of seasonal reward gear that didn't go in (as of 3.0).

That's exactly what I meant, thanks.

Astro changes pre-Alex savage? Rad.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I want it to play the fractal continuum theme when doing completely banal things like crafting or gathering.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Veks posted:

This is literally what World of Final Fantasy is gonna be about.

Can't wait to see the sperg train grind for hours days weeks to catch a shiny sephiroth.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If the game has flavour of the month classes, I'd say SMN would be one. They're looking pretty drat good, but I think every primal or Alex fight I do has 2+.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Who Dat posted:

I'm level 34 and closing in on Titan. I'm guessing that's about 1/2 way through ARR MSQ? Curious though, since Heavensward's release, are sidequests critical for leveling or can I just do MSQs and get to 50 without much fuss?

I initially levelled WHM and BLM in tandem, and never did a side quest after level 30. Granted, WHM gave me free dungeon XP whenever I wanted. I did spend time with FATEs in Costa and Coerthas though, and pounded out the last few levels with my huge allowance of leves.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If you're using a rotation on a healer I think you're doing something wrong anyways. Just use what you need to use, when you need to use it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like pretty much every one of the Astro card. Granted, spire is only good for royal road and spear can have limited usefulness as cast. Either way, I can work with pretty much any combination of RR and card draws and feel it's useful.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Anasurimbur posted:

As a 51 White Mage, I would love / could use any tips that anyone wants to give. I tend to try to DPS when I notice damage isn't being kick out a lot.

I realize I'm in super easy places right now and doing old content. Still; learning now will help me in the future.

It mostly comes from experience, and getting a feel for how long a tank will survive.

When I'm conservative I have a 7 second rule. I try to think of it like - if I stop healing 100%, will the tank die in 7 seconds (3 global cooldowns)? If he'll be fine, you have time to go into cleric, throw off two spells, turn off cleric, and throw a cure 2. And 7 seconds is really only three attacks and not very much time at all, if you're unsure of yourself you can probably do the bare minumum (cleric, aero2/stone3 *2, cleric off, heal to full) quite often.

Another thing to remember is Holy has a stun. If the tank is OK, you can hit cleric, cast holy, and by the time the stun wears off you can have cleric off and have most of a cure cast.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I had a tank in fractal recently that had 5 infuriate for the entire run. When I called him out on the second boss he used inner beast once and told me to gently caress off.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Holyshoot posted:

Did you vote kick after the boss?

The two dps were in my FC so we spent the rest of the dungeon being annoying as possible while still clearing it. Nothing serious since we were three trash pulls from the end, but we got cheap laughs out of it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I had basically no interest in the game until I read here that healers could (and were expected to) dps as well as heal. And then when I found out White Mages can run around blasting everything with holy I decided to try it out.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Once I got gravity I made it my life's mission to get the killing blow on absolutely every boss I could with it. It looks and sounds so loving rad.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Doublestep posted:

Everything but T9 and T12 and 13 were just generic allagan arenas with the same music track that was old after the second caduceus clear.

Final coil was big because it was the grand finale of 2.0 raiding, if you compare Alex to just first coil it's miles ahead. Coils story was poo poo until T9 and I wouldn't be surprised if Alex is the same way

I think T5 has my favourite boss arena - the petrified claw of bahamut. Plus it has Thunderer as a bgm.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
ARF has the best dungeon music with the possible exception of Fractal which is all the reason you need to run it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I always played on a major short-bus server, and I've never even seen most of that against healers. lovely players all around, yeah, but none that ever said anything about cleric stance.

When I was looking into the game and saw that not only can healers do damage while in the healer role, at times they're expected to, it was the main reason I wanted to try the game*. Before the talent overhaul I could heal most WoW content on an Elemental shaman and achieve a similar effect, but I was getting pretty sick of the game by then.

*The second reason was that I could blast fools with Holy. :unsmigghh:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Early game is actually really painful, when you only have one or two abilities that you hit on clockwork. Like, really, really painful.

It opens up quite a bit late game when you have multiple combos available and more off cooldown abilities you weave between them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
At least with Thaum you have to rotate between ice and fire, while throwing lightning in there. I found it a bit more interesting than the melee classes.

Moot loving point since CNJ is the best.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
What's the overall opinion on ASTs these days? I resubbed over the weekend, and have been exploring the content that's new to me. I read up on the class changes. AST has had a few nice tweaks, but I'm bouncing between WHM and AST and it still feels like WHM is playing easy-mode.

And out of curiosity, how are SCHs? Mine's still 51 or something, and I never had a ton of experience with it at 50. I imagine the ideal healing duo is still WHM/SCH.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I didn't even realize that the Before the Fall soundtrack was out. Looks like I'll have to get that one in preparation of the Heavensward release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I did an expert roulette with a dragoon that only did True Thrust, Vorpal Thrust, Full Thrust. There were a couple Ring of Thorns, but they were probably accidental.

• Locked thread