Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Please help me, I am nervous/sad/worried about the blm changes, and Enochian looks like it will make a simple straight forward job that I find really fun, overly complicated and frustrating to play. :smith:

(I am also boring and generic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Stormgale posted:

It's not super complicated, it just means adding some fire IV and Blizzard IV, Remember they upkeep the buff for you so long as you can keep shooting.

The fact that IV is 3s cast, so .5 more, and doesn't mess with astral/umbral makes me worried about movement. But at least Hellioning is right. If its bad itll get buffed.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So there is one thing about the story thus far that has pissed me off, so I hope someone further along can spoil the poo poo out of it. Please, please tell me Nanamo is really dead and all this she might be alive is a false plot and the dumb bitch is dead. If its true its the biggest misstep in the game so...yeah.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Boten Anna posted:

I really don't know how anyone could ever possibly think that she was actually dead. You see her drink the wine then she's just whisked away, and when Raubaun demanded to see her they were really cagey about it; if she was actually dead they'd be practically throwing her corpse at him.

This is an anime, after all. As a wise goon once said, if you don't see a mangled corpse, the character isn't dead.

Also wtf how can you hate the sultana

gently caress this gay earth

Eh largely because her stupid republic plan is idiotic. 'Oh the monetarists buy peoples support with money. Therefor I shall make the government a republic to stop them...where the people's whose vote they buy can then legally ensure they rule forever." :colbert: She was more useful and interesting as a tragic character. Her 'death' scene played up the fact that she was dying too much for me to easily say she'd be alive. Because her being alive is the easy way out of that plot. And...it was.

Mainly I think it's a 'cheap' resolution to that plot. All we lost is Raubahns arm, because you know the Scions are 1000% alive if she is.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 21, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Stormgale posted:

DRK Quest Question It's fight club right, where the other knight is a figment of your imagination/manifestation of your darkness right? only done the first
As is the case with so many 90's fighters. It's a mirror match.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Minrad posted:

People seem to universally dislike a lot of the new abilities or class mechanics.

I've not gotten Five IV to see how awful or not it is. I'm not excited about it, and largely what has me on blm is the momentum of holy poo poo the story is good. Leylines at least is pretty fun, and worth it, it's nice to have a powerful ability on a decent cooldown/uptime. I'm actually excited to push that than Raging Strikes which if it wasn't for trying to min/max I'd forget existed.

I will say one thing, at least Enochian is a 60s cooldown 30s uptime without loving around with Blizzard IV so...it's easy enough to keep up.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 21, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Whelp...having gotten 58 and to test Blizzard IV some. It's awful. The timing does not play nice with procs at all. Get more than 2 and you risk losing Enochian. Blizzard IV is also a long cast time so you have to bear that in mind too. It's damned inconvenient. Not looking forward to Fire IV for more micromanaging of timers, procs, and movement, especially when by virtue of being .5 longer than your normal casts the IV's make movement even worse. Unless there is something ludicriously amazing about Fire IV, it's look forward to 3.1 time for blms.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I've been too busy chasing the story quest to level dark so no. And while I can agree in most ways it's a lot of they changed it now it sucks, they did take away most of why I enjoyed black mage in the first place, namely that it was by and large simple and uncomplicated. Maybe I'm just a scrub, but blm was a nice simple job in a game full of a lot of complicated ones. :shrug:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I think it's interesting that some NPCs seem to mix and match racial body models. For example, Lucia is a hyur with an elezan body, and there's another NPC later on who is an elezan with a midlander body.

Pureblood Garleans actually tend to have elezen models, Cid is the one exception who doesn't. It's why Nero or Gaius were so tall, and especially evident on Nael. As for Hilda, she's our resident half breed.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Gearhead posted:

Pureblood Garleans really aren't Hyur when you get down to it. They're a separate race, what with the third eye and all.

Of course, there's also nothing really like them in the lore either. The Allagan didn't have a third eye...

Random speculation but maybe the Garleans are an Allagan experiment and the third eye is a magic suppressant. We know the Allagans loved chimeras, and no Garlean can use magic.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

mightygerm posted:

You would have a point if they actually added skills that worked outside of Minuet. Or if Minuet didn't have a 3 second cast time, making swapping stances in combat a dps loss. Or if Minuet was a flat DPS upgrade, instead of tradeoff by losing autos and adding cast times.

But regardless of all that, you can't deny that the Bard playstyle has basically taken a 180 from what it was in ARR. You surely realize that saying ' but just dont use the 50+ skills!!!' is a dumb argument.

To be fair...it seems almost every job has had some massive change. Monk is maybe the most similar at a glance but I'm no monk expert. I guess smn also got more in the 'finisher' department then changing core mechanics. But every is reeling with some kind of change to core play styles which means maybe jobs you liked previously are now different.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

every single black mage is rubbing their hands together and saying "yesss, yessssssss" over and over again while cackling with glee over this bard stuff

We would be, but we're too busy crying over Enochian.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Whelp, here comes a long post about the story, having just finished it.

Overall, I want to say this story was very well executed, it kept my attention the entire way, and I always wanted to know more. However I feel there was one major misstep. This was a story about sorrow and overcoming adversity in many ways, with sorrow compounded upon sorrow. The themes of building up the team and comradery between Alphianud, Ysayle, and Estinien was great and they formed an awesome team. A lot of really strong character moments and Alphinaud really steps in as the main npc protagonist. I liked that even at the end, I still felt there were secrets the dragons were keeping, even if largely they are 'in the right' so to speak. So many little story beats are great, and the heroic sacrifices of Hauteforchant and Ysayle are absolutely heartwrenching, as is losing Estinien in the end. This goes into my main problem, namely the fact that Nanamo is alive. It robs 2.55 of any dramatic potency, and it just feels like a cheap cop out. This whole plot did...what exactly? Kill off Teledji? The only sacrifice is Raubahn losing an arm at this point as we know the Scions are going to come back. Then to top off it off the with drama of losing characters we actually liked and spent so much time with, so it's essentially this cheap dumb character gets to live with the interesting ones are killed off. All I can feel is a smoldering anger at the lore team. As well even after seeing them die, there's now the issue of oh will who will they deus ex back to life again when it's convenient? Nanamo ruins what was otherwise an amazing story.

As for blm in HW? After playing around Fire IV does at least feel suitably powerful. Having a 10 second greased lightning that takes a 2.5s cast to keep up? Not so much. The last two dungeons were insanely chaotic and trying to control the Fire and Enochian buffs was stressful. It might be something I can get used to but I can say as of right now it is not a very fun mechanic with how super tight the rotation is. Any movement is deadly. As I said the main thing is 'feel' and 'fun' and this is entirely subjective. The damage from what I've seen is very much there.

As for the post credits scene it was a he and he was in war af despite me being a blm.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Space Mako posted:

It was a power play that made Lolorito the most powerful man in Ul'dah. Killing Nanamo would only benefit Teledji, as he was an heir to the Sultanate. Teledji co-owned the Brass Blades with Lolorito, so Lolorito now has full jurisdiction over Ul'dah's police force. Killing Nanamo would have destabilized his entire scheme and he's smart enough to know that he's more powerful WITH the Sultana alive.
I'm not sure, but I think the Omega weapon is something he'd want as well, given his Garlean contacts.

I understood it story wise. What I hate is why go through all that drama for the player. Her 'death' plays similar to Hauteforchaunts int hat both spit up blood, in fact I'd say hers looked far more painful. Why do that when it's just a loving sleeping potion?!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Space Mako posted:

They just wanted to end ARR in a bang without having anything too permanent, I suppose. The writers have a huge soft spot for Ul'dah's storyline, so I guess they were reluctant to actually kill her.

Burn Ul'dah to the ground.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I didn't get my stuff yet - do you have to put in your main expansion code to get that stuff?

Yup no matter what version pc/steam/whatever gotta enter the code.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tsurupettan posted:

hey ffxiv thread, what is your dark knight's theme song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7c-n4k3XrU

Give into your anger your rage. It makes you stronger. Gives you focus.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Rei_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqv_LUStxDw

So anyway, I just got to the Aery and people said this games story was like...grim? Like literally every single major dire story beat in 2.5 has been undone or resolved with little to no real struggle? Like the Sultana is just alive, you and Raubahn are cleared of all charges, the abdication of the throne is delayed due to the the impending invasion like?? idk.

Just wait til The Vault. And if you're like me you'll hate that they made 2.55 totally pointless.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Iron Tusk posted:

Not only that but good dragon really isn't good dragon at all, he's bitter, sad-brains dragon. Also, your country is a total lie, hey Iceheart, all your faith? All lies too. Also, the war? It's not really a war, it's an horrific unending troll by a very angry dragon

Also bear in mind we never truly found out what started it. In that sure Thordan killed their sister, but why? I don't trust the white dragon's version any more than the churches. They didn't reveal everything and gotta give em props for that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tsurupettan posted:

yes. you get to enjoy two amazingly fun forms of gameplay for the low price of one!

e: came for the akh morn, stayed for the *ding* *boom*

That and amazing aoe, strong single target that isn't as hosed over by movement as blm's is and you have a battle rez.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

vOv posted:

(HW spoilers) I really don't like the way they just seemed to sort of... handwave that plot thread away in HW. Probably the weakest part of the entire expansion for me.

I've bitched many times about that, especially Nanamo living when if ANYONE should've died, it should've been her, especially when her cutscene 'death' is as brutal as Hauteforchaunts. And speaking of this expansion felt like a double gut punch as Nanamo is alive and off scot free, while my three favorite characters are dead, dead, and practically dead.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

As a blm mage, should I not be using thunder anymore? So I should just get ecochain refreshed with B3>B4 then quickly get back in AS to spam F4?

Do Thunder before you start Enochian, never ever use Thundercloud, maybe squeeze a T1 in on your first refresh. Otherwise that's about it. It's a useless spell atm and I hope it gets addressed...along with alot of other blm issues.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

vOv posted:

The other party members are actually alternate-universe versions of the Warrior of Light.

I'm kind of stuck trying to figure out how the Enochian rotation works. Is Firestarter worth using even though it might mean you have to go umbral early to refresh Enochian? When do you Sharpcast?

Basically your opener is Do you want cast T3? If you do, and I'm not sure this is optimal, you go T3 -> B3 > F3 (Enochian) -> F4 -> F4(Sharpcast) -> F1 -> F4 -> F4 -> Firestarter F3 -> B3 -> T1 (if you have time on Enochian) -> B4

From there its just every 2 F4 do a F1, adjust for movement, curse when you do move because you lost a F1. You only need 2 refreshes before you can start over. If mechanics gently caress you over and you move, I do think its better to cut off a fire phase to keep Enochian up than to let it drop. Again I haven't done the numbers but this has been my general experience. Enochian rotations kills things so much faster than 2.0.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

What the gently caress changes to BLM do these idiots want? The only thing I can think of is what to do with Thunder after the pull, everything else is really good and cool.

As one of those idiots a change to managing Astral Fire and some way that Thunder is not a useless obsolete spell. Personally I'd want Fire IV to refresh Astral Fire, but even just increasing Astral Fire to 15s would help. Right now our rotation is incredibly strict with basically no time for leeway. Move at all? Oh there goes a Fire IV gently caress you. Target dies while casting, Oh gently caress you there goes a Fire IV. Target goes invincible at a bad time? Oh gently caress you there goes Enochian. Not to mention Thunder itself is only really useful on your first Enochian rotation. So yeah when things go fine, they go great. An actual encounter? gently caress you.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I can't wait to see what happens if/when you try out monk.

I have monk at 50 and I loathe it, it was by far my least favorite job in the game. Sadly it seems everything has had unnecessary complexity added to it in this expansion. I liked blm because it was simple and it hit hard, now I'm struggling to find a class I enjoy. :shrug:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tsurupettan posted:

agreed

i want to do the same rotation i did at 50 for another year+.

If you want something with complexity monk hasn't gone anywhere. Oh all jobs should be like monk, oh okay.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ither posted:

Summoner?

It has a vastly different playstyle from blm. I don't find dots or pets fun or interesting. I'm leveling it just because it's a way to get caster gear, but I'm not enjoying it. And granted again the huge hits are part of why blm is fun to me.

Closest might be new brd, though that's not as high a priority to max as smn. As again at least that's a caster.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 30, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well that's good. The storylines to 1.0 and 2.0 (yes, I actually suffered through 1.0) were pretty dang mediocre. Getting through 2.0's scenario was really a chore and only started to pick up at the end where you get to fight the Empire.

I hate to be the jerk who constantly compares XIV to XI, but maaaannn... I really like FFXI's storylines and job system, way, WAY better. Granted, FFXIV's everything else is much better, I just wish the actual job system wasn't such a weird inconsistent mess and the jobs themselves felt more like the classic ones from FF1/3/5/Tactics and so on. FFXI's job system was VERY faithful, but perhaps to a fault as it's game balance was really, really hosed. Granted, pretty much every single previous Final Fantasy game was broken as poo poo if you knew what you were doing and had awful balance, but every previous game was also single player so it didn't matter all that much.

As one of those grognerds who loves CoP to death, XIV's story gets better. Honestly I'd say with the exception of one very dumb thing, Heavensward is as good as any XI story. They clearly learned a lot from 2.0 to now in terms of story telling and how to approach characters and it really shows. I mean this doesn't help when you're slogging through to get to HW, but trust me it's pretty good. :v:

Granted this world will never be Vana'diel and I love Vana'diel to death while I'm still meh on Eorzea (largely because this game has a bad case of the GoT grimdark everyone is kind of an awful poo poo but you're friends with them so oh well) but yeah. IF anything I think what you're experiencing is that the player character is very much the main character in XIV, while in XI you were a side character. I preferred XI's method as having a story around a blank is boring as poo poo, but I know a lot of goons love that they are center stage. Like everything else, this gets handled better in HW.

As for talking about balance and design, I'm sorry XI's team had no clue what either were. It was an awful mess of a game that somehow mostly worked by a miracle. Just a daily reminder that FFXI ninja was supposed to be a dps and samurai was supposed to tank. Also Square was monolithic and uncommunicative as hell in those days. Sweeping job changes would be summed up as "Ranger has been adjusted" end patch notes. The crisis of 1.0 and letting Yoshi actually interact with the fans is some kind of miracle.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Honestly, as I was getting toward the end of 2.0's storyline, I really kind of started to dislike Eorzea and felt like rooting for the Garlean Empire. What the hell was Cid thinking when he switched sides? Sorry guys, I feel I have a need to side with the "evil" empire.

I think it's more because Gaius is the best. Sure the rest of the Empire sucks, but drat is Gaius awesome.

quote:

What's so great about Vana'diel?

Probably a hell of a lot of nostalgia, being that I was there first and fell in love with the world. The nations weren't as shades of grey as Eorzea which helped liking them a lot. Like San d'Oria is pretty much Ishgard - snow, only without the whole evil religious police and pushing innocent people off of mountains bit. Also the whole Primals thing is a bit weird although we are learning more about them, and will hopefully learn why the whole world isn't a burning husk due to primals.

Also I did prefer the world music for XI. :colbert: It created such a strong sense of place for every zone. Soken shines at boss music, and he's gotten better at zone music, but even still most of the zone music has been a rehash of the Ishgard theme or Dragonsong. Mizuta never gets enough credit.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

rock2much posted:

Anyone else miss skill chaining and bursting? Maybe not the way it was in 11 if it makes it to 14 but I did like coordinating special attacks.

I do, at least in the whole teamwork sense. I'd love to see limit breaks be moved to individual basis, with a corresponding nerf in power, and then letting you do them in sequence for cool bonuses. Also this lets everyone show off their badass animations, which is a shame because normally all you see is the melee lbs.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hivac posted:

I think something along the lines of Elementalist would probably be neater for a RDM class.

Or hell, DRKs show their magic side of things with a few dark attacks here and there but a lot of it is infused into their standard attacks and such. RDM as some weird Fencer-Mystic Knight thing would be kinda neat.

Given my experience in FFXI, no red mage actually cared that they buffed or healed or debuffed. They wanted to hit poo poo with their sword. So focusing on a melee mage would be awesome. Especially because drk isn't a dps.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Eej posted:

RDMs in this game would function as melee DPS and would probably work more like Mystic Knights with rapiers. I don't think the game quite needs another melee DPS though, when there's only two casters in the game.

Finding a new caster would be hard, in my limited FF experience. Black mage is already in the FF verse the one size fits all elementalist master mage. We have smn already. Sch was a dps, but is in as a healer. Whm is basically geomancer. What's left?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

The #1 thing I'm hoping for re: future job/class system revamp is no longer having your class tied to your weapon. I want to be a warrior with a greatsword or a paladin that dual wields axes or a monk that uses a bo staff.

The upside of this is that it would make stuff like Red Mage vastly more easy to implement since instead of "uses sword" being a class aspect with skills tied to class, you can tie them to the weapon loadout and focus the actual class mechanics on the "uses support and mild attack magic" aspect of it.

{Yes please.} Also to be a black mage using a spell book would own.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Boten Anna posted:

People are already destroying the game by levelling to 60 in North Thanalan like complete assholes instead of somewhere new and interesting like Western Coerthas or something, so yeah if you want a world where you get to 60 by doing Brayflox first area pulls for 10 hours straight then I'm sorry I'm glad you didn't get what you want.

Eh they could just make them give exp for 50-51. And I really feel Nthan exp should be killed post 51. Hitting 51 feels like a huge hurdle, while form 51 on you can do the new dungeons.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

About how long does it take for them to post the live letter info, as I missed the broadcast?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Thanks.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tarranon posted:

I got to use purify legitimately in A4 , the dream is still alive

Also elixir field owns, forbidden chakra is pretty good. gently caress tornado kick. Even when you do it right it's not very satisfying and the only time I've used it while buffed is Ravana ex burn phases.

RIP 500 potency Tornado Kick.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Also on the topic of Estinien's new dye job. Artifact armor is explicitly said to resonate magically with the wearers soul gem. It is an enchanted item in universe, so his armor absorbing some of Niddhog's aether isn't out of the question, and thus changing in form. Granted they might have been too lazy to come up with an actual blood splattered model, but it changing by itself isn't that weird.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Opposing Farce posted:

HM and EX primals are designed so you see the basic mechanics in babymode, then in the real-deal EX fight you're forced to deal with more important, more complicated, and usually significantly more punishing versions of those mechanics. They're not really "recycled content" in the sense you'd usually use the term, though I guess you could argue they technically are. Either way the point is this game's pretty good about keeping things fresh, at least as MMOs go.

Savage is a slightly different thing in that Normal Alex to Savage Alex seems to follow the same basic idea as HM and EX primals, but Savage Coil is more of a bonus super-hard mode they threw in for people who really want that.

Sort of, though I don't think any HM to -> Ex primal has been one to one. For example all the stuff that makes Ravana hard is no where in the HM version. The first three primals are probably the best, along with Leviathan, for showing you what you'll see in HM and then in EX mode. I guess Bismark is too come to think of it. Though the difficulty of that EX fight is entirely dps related. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ouhei posted:

Anyone else having some really bad connection issues? It's insanely laggy for me right now.

I'm having extremely bad issues. I'm in the midwest, using TWC. There's a thread on the forums about the issue and it seems to be affecting COX and TWC. (Its only on FFXIV, everything else seems fine.)

• Locked thread