Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy posted:

Ifrit probably, since there isn't an attacker carbuncle counterpart for him yet.

No, Alph uses a Ruby Carby earlier in the MSQ. Easy to miss though, he doesn't call it out like he does with this one.

e:fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
While on the topic of hunts: http://ffxivhuntmarks.jinivus.com/

You should use this site to minimize your teleports.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SirPhoebos posted:

So does the MSQ eventually get better about acknowledging that you didn't in fact solo the 8-man boss fight?

(MSQ spoiler joke) They're actually all primalthingies that you summon whenever you go into battle.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SwissArmyDruid posted:

(MSQ spoiler joke) They're actually all primalthingies that you summon whenever you go into battle.

SirPhoebos posted:

So wait, when you get your first crystal the cutscene shows a bunch of different characters flying around the big crystal-and as they were all in clownsuits like me they were meant to be other players. I assumed that this was supposed to be including the MMO aspect of the game into the plot. Did that just get dropped?

Maybe they are. Maybe they aren't.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
IF YOU ARE TRYING TO GET ONTO EXCALIBUR, YOU HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO DO SO AFTER MAINTENANCE ENDS TONIGHT.

This has been your friendly reminder from Chocobo Insurance: For When Life Just Doesn't Go Your Kweh.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 30, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So, just finished the level 60 MSQ. You know how I was joking about how the people that join you in dungeons are Echoes of you from alternate dimensions? Yeah, after seeing the Ascian Fusion Dance and Lahabrea's comments about how the power of the Echo is to break down the barriers of reality I'm not entirely certain just how much of a joke it really is.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy posted:

You could scrape by with i130 stuff like ironworks as long as you get a better weapon from Vault and probably library. You rparty would probably hate you for being i130 in Library though and you'll still end up having to get up to i145 for the lvl 60 dungeons but that shouldn't be too bad if you're stockpiling law tomestones.

Or you can buy/craft stuff at 56/58.

I didn't get a viable replacement for my Zeta until 58. =T

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Post-MSQ spoiler: When Generic Hyur shows up on the moon, is he a WAR for everyone, or does he change to whatever job you are?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

vOv posted:

Watching new tanks get double-Holy Bladedanced will never get old. :allears:

I wanted to do it, I knew it was coming, I had my cooldowns going and was prepared, and then the other person taunted off of me at the last second. =(

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm just waiting for the FFX class sets. Well, specifically the Yuna set for summoners.

I am going to laugh so goddamn hard when the AST weapon is a Blitzball.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

bonewitch posted:

It hasn't been updated since 2014 and nothing at that level should require a guide to beat. Dungeon bosses are generally intuitive or have a singular mechanic that people will explain to you if you're new.

Indeed. I've got three rules that basically cover 90% of any boss encounter, regardless of level:

* Don't stand in front of the boss. (Or, in the case of the tank, DO.)
* Kill all of the adds.
* Don't stand in the stupid.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy posted:

"In which game is the character doing specials and not attacking."

Someone never played FFT beyond Chapter 1.

To be fair, going MNK and punching people was disproportionately great, relative to weapons. Chakra was also great, and you needed to go that way to get Geomancer for Ninja anyways.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can buy that the magical light spear is beyond normal wounds but the whole "valiant hero blocks deadly attack with shield until shield breaks and kills them because they didn't shift their weight to deflect the attack in to the ground next to them" is a really loving stupid trope. He's not blocking some WoL-seeking missile. Shifting slighting and tilting his shield would end up with the spear either striking empty ground next to him or maybe stabbing him off to the side in a way that's less likely to be fatal.

But that wouldn't let them kill off Ishgardian Jon Snow in a heroic fashion so...

Also, it kind of exploded him in the crotchular region. Not sure anyone would want to continue living after that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Niton posted:

You're not a real player if you don't have ` bound :colbert:

This loving game. Is there a reason why we can't tab through friendlies with `?

Fix.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/69c8554f1f717b2b87cfb47cbe8c6e83dc31c3c9

Known issues that are going to be fixed with 3.01 next week. Did they already fix the bug with regen sapping the crap out of DRK MP?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
^^^^^^

My love of large, doofy hats is all-consuming.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Captain Oblivious posted:

Literally the only time a truly pet centric class has ever been fun in an MMO is Masterminds in City of Heroes, and FF14 is not that style of game. So I'm okay with pets being most forgettable ability turrets that mostly serve to make the job lore distinct.

RIP COX, taken too soon before its time.

Though if they did put in Beastmaster, I would like them to go that route, with the Beast being the point from which all the BST's ability's damage comes from, and any actual effects coming from the BST being support or cooldown effects.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 2, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

year199X posted:

What other people said, I basically bought this game just for Monk.

Monk is super enjoyable with the simple creation of two macros, one for all of your rear positionals and one for your flank positionals, then it's just hit the key/button for where you are. It can be annoying if your tank is a jerk and running circles around mobs for no reason but for the most part it's a non issue.

:frogout::gitgud:

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 2, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

rock2much posted:

I was wondering how much time was supposed to have passed btwn that fight and the end of the MSQ because is Estinien just going to wear that bloody armor for ever?

Until such time as he can take it off, sure. He says when he's got some time, he's going to have it reforged and poo poo.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Obligatum VII posted:

You know, doesn't Square-Enix own the rights to Drakengard? They could totally have some Drakengard themed vanity items in FF14 if they felt like it.

I, for one, would pay real life money for a Caim outfit. Or a Zero one. ...or Emil.

In b4 Nier items.

edit: No points for me, I forgot they announced a new Nier game at E3, there's probably going to be a crossover event.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ciaphas posted:

What the hell is a Nier, I'm at work and can't google very well but apparently not knowing what that is means I've lived under a rock or something???

I'm gonna help save your job, do not google the chick in the blue negligee, or the name "Kaine" while you're at work.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

....that is amazing. I have those sunglasses, but still, amazing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ciaphas posted:

Sadly no. This game needs more MGR Buttrock.

Platinum crossover please yoship

Fractal is pretty butt-rocky?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm surprised more people aren't annoyed about Fractal Continuum's last boss. That's a very hard-hitting tankbuster on a very short timer, I have yet to run a group that oneshots it. Frankly, it's just not very fun, and I would much rather run around Neverreap and swing my axe around for ludicrous crits on adds.

Rei_ posted:

Jaiseillex Dentonnier

Adamsoix Jensennier

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Vermain posted:

The final Fractal boss does about 3.2k on a Paladin sans cooldowns. It's not a concern unless your healer is falling asleep at the wheel.

Accounting for the health difference, the numbers do line up, so I guess I just need to get rid of the 58 white belt and ring. Still a bit odd to see ~4.5K on a mitigated hit, though.

VHGS posted:

Healing does make me pretty sleepy, so I am often concerned this will become an issue.

The number one complaint I hear is "out of mana" on that boss.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I can't speak to what the healers were doing in our BisEX clear last night, but two Overpowers were sufficient for me to grab and hold my snake until the point where I had to switch/not-switch.

If you're on Excalibur, get a hold of Cid's Angels.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So, Yoshi-P said a thing at Japan Expo, saying that FFXIV now has almost 5 million players. (His exact words, although we should probably take this to mean "accounts", as opposed to actual people.)

Given that Blizzard's own Q1 earnings call indicated that WoW was at 7.1 million subscribers, I'm feeling pretty good about FFXIV's spot relative to #1.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rei_ posted:

Real talk has anyone ever been asked to leave a dungeon? I've seen people get super salty over healers contributing to DPS but normally roulette is pretty chill

Halatali NM, me levelling my BLM for The Professional title. SCH healer put themselves on follow on me, and told me to keep up behind the tank, so they could AFK. Because they were doing us all a favor by being there.

/angrynerdmode on

Cue me doing my level best to DPS at the very limits of my range, using the leash distance of SCH and SCH's fairy to leave fairy just outside of range for healing. And to lock fairy and SCH outside of the first boss's door. Got kicked, sent a report.

Have a screenshot for funsies:

("friend" doesn't make any sense in this context, this was a DF group, I didn't know any of them. Except you, Zyra Zephyr. Now I know you. gently caress you.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 6, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

faptown posted:

This guy is on the same server as me (Lamia) and yeah he's a major rear end in a top hat outside of dungeons too.

Why does your server continue to tolerate his existence.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

nuru posted:

So what you're saying is the SCH was actually doing less to sabotage the group than you were? A SCH on follow is better than most healers you'll get at that level who probably aren't going to dps anyway.

I tend to just pull the dungeon while SCH though. Moves things along faster.

What I'm saying is that guy's an rear end in a top hat that expects everyone to wait on him hand and foot, and I resent him displacing his duties as healer onto me. If I wanted to heal, I'd have queued a healer.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Truga posted:

Why not just votekick -> AFK? Like any normal person would?

You make it sound like I didn't try. Between 15 minutes needing to elapse, combat, and loot, I got beat to it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Truga posted:

Yeah, it's a wow clone alright. I hope they work on that in the future, there's really a couple things they could pull out and nobody would notice (hi ruin 1 since broil, just put that kind of poo poo behind traits goddamn).

Of course, my MX518 is dying (or rather, the cable is giving out, *again*, the mouse is still working just fine), so I ordered a G600 for the extra buttons, which should cover me for the next expansion or two. :v:

:( :respek: :(

I found the G502 to be a good replacement, even though I don't use any of the extra buttons beyond what the 518 had. I am now pretty attached to the tilt-wheel and infiniscroller, though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Conditional because there isn't a trap card. Yet :ninja:

Isn't that what Disable is supposed to be? :confused:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

More fun at Alphinaud's expense.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Fister Roboto posted:

It would be if idiots would stop undercutting me by 100,000 at a time.

It could be worse. Just think: Highland Barding sold for 1.5M at the start of 3.0. By last night, the one that I've been continually reposting and undercutting by 1 gil finally sold for 295K after taxes.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If I farm the mats myself...anything I make is pure profit!

Go back to Econ 101, noob.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 8, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

fount of knowledge posted:

In a stunning counterpoint to this, the first Ravana's Forewings were listed for like 5 mil, actually sold for like 50k, cratered to like 3k, then rebounded and I was able to offload mine for half a million.

It's a faulty counterpoint. I said the first one SOLD for 1.5. They were selling at their listed price, before the undercutting started.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 8, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Whizbang posted:

New Admiral Fhqwhgads is way worse but everyone else is much better.

RIP Jean Gilpin. She really was the best voice for the part. I enjoyed the more-likable Meredith treatment.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Fister Roboto posted:

Unukalhai is the name of the brightest star in the constellation Serpentarius.

What does that have to do with Urianger meeting with Elidibus?

Given the name, and the fact that dragons are basically magical bullshit from space and don't play by any of the rules that apply to everything else on Hydaelyn, I figured that it was a subtle hint to the fact that Unukalhai was probably one of Midgardsormr's progeny.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 9, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Niton posted:

since you're probably not joking: There's another character named Elidibus: an optional superboss living in Ivalice's Midnight's Deep. He was notable for being the only character in the entirety of Final Fantasy Tactics to have the Zodiac symbol of Serpentarius.

Is that what they re-translated Deep Dungeon to be?

Anyways, I had started working on the name from an astrological perspective, with Serpentarius being "The Great Serpent", a name also attributed with Midgardsormr, and indeed, the name of one of that boss's attacks. (Well, it was translated as "Midgar Swarm", but after FF7, we all know that it's Midgardsormr.) I had completely forget about the FFT character, although the slightly different spelling of the name might have been what threw me. I still know that guy as "Eldibs". I've never played any of the remakes, only the PSX version.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 9, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Guess I'm replaying FFT the next time there's maintenance. Is the Android version an acceptable port? The $14 price tag is quite appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

quote:

Q81. Can you make it so we can set our retainers as the new jobs?
A81. It's on our task list to make it so that you can set your retainers as any of the jobs, not only the new ones. This should make it in time for Patch 3.1.

DRK male serious Au'ras everywhere! Lolbat, anyone?

• Locked thread