Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Chairman posted:

It's looking like you'll get all the 1-30 ones at once. They haven't said anything about any kind of tutorial quests as far as I know.

I guess the assumption is that anyone who's played enough to get through 2.55 is going to have a fair idea of how to figure things out.

(hahahahahahahaha)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is the RAF page broken during maintenance? The link in the RAF OP doesn't work for me, but it's the first google result too, so.

I wanted to go get my code so I could post it and get cool swag someday :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Chairman posted:

You generate the code via Mog Station, which is still up.

Aha, thank you kindly. :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I finally just got around to downloading and running the HW benchmark, 'cos I wanted to make sure I could do the DX11 client.

Was... was that the DRG LB3 at the end there :stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I shouldn't have done that, I had my hype levels under control before I watched the benchmark. drat it.

fount of knowledge posted:

Calling it now, two hours before the scheduled maintenance ends SE is gonna make a post extending it for another 6 hours.

Gonna laugh when it happens.

don't you loving do this

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yes. And you can see ALL the new LB3s in this launch trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGFZ6RJqTWY

shouldn't be watching this either but my mouse appears to be moving of its own accord, help

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Leal posted:

Post your catgirl

You meant potatogirl, right

heed not the siren song of the au ra

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm just kind of sitting here aimlessly watching youtube videos and refreshing pages instead of sleeping, or even playing the minecrafts or something. drat the hype train ran me over fast and suddenly :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The first actually good looking cattegirle in this thread!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oog, I've failed the first DRK quest twice in a row now. Clearly I'm not meant to be playing video games when I'm this tired :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

armoredgorilla posted:

I entered my early access code on Mog Station, but I still don'thave the Heavensward registration code in general.

Mog Station recognizes the early access "Standard - FFXIV: Heavensward - Early Access Windows(R)". but the game wont' let me into Ishgard and Square support doens't open for another 3 hours apparently.

Any thoughts? I feel like this whole process has been entirely too convoluted.

I don't think anyone has the game codes proper yet. Have you taken the first MSQ in the little building in Dragonhead, where 2.55 ended?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I feel yet another drat racechange coming on, away from girl potato. Female highlander or female hellsguard?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Saigyouji posted:

So. It turns out Bane was buffed and its description wasn't changed. It now hits an infinite amount of targets.

Boy the pendulum swung from BLM to SMN hard, didn't it :stare:

A fair point, well made

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was going to level DRK but now I kinda wanna do MCH instead with how fricked up DF is right now, despite not being that interested in MCH. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

You know what I just realized? We're well into primetime on launch evening, and there's barely a crash or other showstopper to be seen. Either we overestimated the launch day woes, there aren't a lot of early accessors, or SE's IT personnel really know their poo poo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Dare you to log out and reopen your client.

Have done without issue several times today. :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've got MCH to 36 now, and I'm wondering, does anything on the way up ever really change the fundamental "1-2-3 with random chance of not getting 2 or 3 if ammo's on cooldown" thing? It's not really grabbing me at all, despite the allure of turrets at 40.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hivac posted:

MCH basically lines up all of their 90s cooldowns to do stupid huge burst damage with Wildfire if their ability list is anything to go by.

Eeehhh doesn't really sound like my bag. Oh well, there's always BLM or DRG for my DPS jollies, once I get done with DRK (or burned out on it, either or).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Think I'm gonna get MCH to at least 40 so I can try Wildfire and turrets out before I give up on them for now. It's odd, because I like BRD and they have a certain similarity. Maybe it's just because I'm not 50(+) anymore :shrug:

Question, does ammo affect the potency of the DoT on Lead Shot?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Riftling posted:

If you do not like MCH at 30, you will not like it past 40. Wildfire doesn't change our gameplay at all; it's just another +damage buff with a unique conditional (mob must stay alive for 15s). Rook turret is really just a DoT you have to place on the ground every fight rather than on the enemy.

AFAIK from limited testing ammo ups the initial damage from Lead Shot, but not the DoT.

Honestly I think it's more that I'm not used to doing such low damage after being omni-50 for so long, it's kinda killing the hype buzz. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rannison posted:

You know, I'm sure you're right but two MCH dps in dungeons seems dreadfully slow.

The dungeons aren't hard, obviously, but they seem to take quite a bit more time than I remember.

But still much more fun than FATEs

Are you up to 40 yet? I'm wondering how much it changes then, myself, with the turrets.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just finished the DRK 40 quest, and I'm really digging the direction this is going. Feels vaguely meta. :v:

Getting harder to resist going SMN or DRG for a while though, and actually start on the story. Or level MCH, which is starting to grow on me...

i need help

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Stormgale posted:

Makes all your abilities have a 1.5~ second cast time for 20% extra damage but turns of auto attacks but gives you access to cool other moves

Wow, Bard and Machinist really ARE kind of similar, that's basically Gauss Cannon to a T, isn't it?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah so remember how I was wingeing hard about what class to level while doing the MSQ, unsure if it would be DRK, DRG, SMN, or MCH?

After doing the 50 job quest, uh yeah it's gonna be DRK. I gotta know where this is gonna go :stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ignimbrite posted:

Are there many/any new cross-classable skills?

Far as I can tell they didn't touch crossclassing at all. Nothing can steal from any of the new classes ('cos they're jobs, not classes, technically), at any rate.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

We talked about it for a while in PBC FC yesterday, but let's talk about { Dark Arts }. What do you all tend to use it on, and when do you not use it? I'm finding it sort of unsafe to use at below 50% mana; and unless you're at full mana using it with Dark Passenger is practically a death sentence.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

Deliverance finally delivers (heh) on the thematic promise of Warrior: a tank that can absolutely wreck poo poo. I am consistently out dpsing the actual DPS right now and it's amazing, and way more challenging and fun as staying in Deliverance requires way more careful and fiddly threat management.

I'm excited to see how it goes when I finally have all of the skills and get a lot more practice.

What does Deliverance itself do? Do you lose the mitigation from Defiance while it's up?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

I think fun is the real problem, though

it's not fun to hammer 1 over and over because you can't get a proc

it's not fun to die over and over in instanced story content while other DPS breeze on through

Yesterday I didn't even get one clean shot proc between reloads not once, but twice in a single run. I haven't played it since.

It might be like not getting any fire starters but it felt a lot worse :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i am tim! posted:

Somebody posted a particular quote for that retainer personality type in FC chat where the retainer dropped the act and calls the hero a pervert.

e;FB ^^^

The (self-)awareness level on the part of the localization team is loving staggering sometimes, jesus christ :stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

dreffen posted:

Early on I'll pop it for Power Slash (or if I feel like I need the extra enmity), but generally I use it to buff up Dark Dance or Dark Passenger for blind on trash.

I don't use it and dark passenger unless I've got over 50% mana either, generally.

e: I'll also Dark Arts a Soul Eater if I've got high mp and high threat and don't have to worry about either in the immediate future.

I only just noticed that it buffs Dark Dance. Oops :downs:. 30% evasion sounds like a pretty loving good tank cooldown to me, assuming it's additive to your base evasion rate.

DRK threat is odd. It seems at times that others cannot possibly catch up to my threat levels so I can freely DA Souleater and ignore Power Slash entirely, other times the DPS manage to sneak up on me threat-wise while I'm too low on MP to bullet back ahead.

It seems like screwing up as DRK gets them hosed a lot harder than the other two tanks. Run out of MP and Darkside drops, some of your biggest threat tools are unavailable and whoops that add just peeled off but you can't get it back and regen mana at the same time because not enough's attacking you for pact to regen your MP and :suicide:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

The INSTANT I enter a quest, look what you people go and do.

Speaking of, god drat but DRK 50 is a hell of a thing. And, from what I can tell, it ties in so well thematically to the expansion, too. I'm really not regretting my decision to switch to DRK for doing the Heavensward MSQ.

I'm still convinced the 30-50 DRK story is a commentary on how dumb the player--not the WoL, the player--is for doing the same stupid poo poo over and over, while inside s/he begs for sweet release from collecting more bear asses for more stupid NPCs

That's probably a "yeah, well, duh" spoiler, innit :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Their basic 1-3 depends on coinflips and one of their major abilities is a net DPS loss according to the math boffins

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

Supposedly parsers weren't catching Wildfire or the other dot and the parser isn't registering crit ticks right since they changed how dot crits work, so the numbers you heard aren't necessarily right.

I was talking about Gauss Barrel :v:

efb

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

mightygerm posted:

not even level 60
also you can do it twice in a row

:getin:

:stare: what level are you to do that much damage to a 52

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I unlocked flying in Coerthas Western earlier, flying owns

But I want to fly on fat-shame chocobo, how do I unlock that?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

37th Chamber posted:

Level 52 quest in Ishgard, "I believe I can fly"

I haven't seen that around anywhere. FC has said it's gated somewhere behind the MSQ; is it far past the point where you first enter the Dravinian Forelands?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sendo posted:

I believe it requires a side quest in Dravanian Forelands before it will show up.

I finally had the brilliant idea of checking xivdb.com, and it's the very first MSQ that walks you in to the forelands that unlocks it. Thanks :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

http://gfycat.com/IdioticOldCormorant

expansion of the year

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Can someone explain the new gathering stuff to me in terms a child could understand? Is it actually possible to make decent money now?

I was wondering this as well, I've got a 50 MIN and I desperately need dosh

(level 6 BOT and level 1 FSH though :saddowns:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

sword_man.gif posted:

warriors can fell cleave for over 11k and they don't have to abuse a latency bug to do it

Look, my DRK's 53.75, stop doing this to me, I have enough trouble not alting it up all the time as is

• Locked thread