Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Last Transmission posted:

If you're going to really Let's play ALL the Pikmin games you have to lp the Overlord series as well. :v:

(Or not since smite had a comprehensive thread with 100% playthroughs not too long ago.)

But good luck with keeping all of them alive.You should keep a death tally for our amusement.

The game keeps a death tally for us, so no worries there! Every episode will end with a beautiful reminder of what has been lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Special shout out to Admiral H. Curtiss, for making this most recent recording session smooth as butter. We've recorded 4 more episodes today, and everything went perfectly.

Progress!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Drakenel posted:

Like, seriously. I will buy one from you. They're that adorable.

Well hey, now you can do that: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheFairyFountain?ref=hdr_shop_menu

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Markovnikov posted:

Really? Is the game playable without that? Going from later Pikmins to the first one must be jarring.

I don't know if it counts as spoilers, but how strict/generous is the 30 days time limit in Pikmin 1?

Getting all 30 parts is a very strict time limit, but getting only the 25 you need to actually beat the game is not too difficult. The game is absolutely designed around playing through it two or three times to get all 30 parts, though, using your knowledge from previous playthroughs to streamline your run. I believe the current record for getting all 30 parts is only 13 days, so streamlining is absolutely a thing you can do a lot of.

I'm going to be a bit of a hands-on co-commentator here because I'd very much like to see Fae get as many parts as possible and we aren't playing this game twice.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Faylone posted:

So Many Spoilers

This entire post is spoilers, this is a spoiler free thread, please remove them.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Tyty posted:

It's actually down to 6 days now. :stare:

I thought it was 7, and I just googled it to double check. That's actually pretty insane.

Last I remembered it was at like 12 days for the speedrun, cutting it down to 6 is just bonkers. There is absolutely no way to actually improve upon that either, that's literally spending only one day per area.

Dr. Buttass posted:

I would call it strict-ish. It's hard to do when you're learning poo poo, but once you've got a handle on it getting all the parts in like 20, 21 days isn't totally unthinkable. I think the speedrun record might be 11...

Yeah, I think on my second playthrough I got 29 of the parts by day 23 or so, it isn't bad at all after you've had a learning run.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Captain Bravo posted:

Wait a second, I thought that if you leave pikmin in the ground when you come back the next day they'll have turned into full flowers? Those blue pikmin you left yesterday were still leaf!

Pikmin actually unflower if left in the ground too long. It's a full cycle, not just a linear upgrade. After a set amount of time in the ground (I think its 3 or 4 minutes or so), they advance one stage. If they are still in the ground as flowers when it is time for them to advance again, they become leafs.

Night time advances everything in the ground by 1 stage no matter what, so all those leafs were probably already flowers.

Teddles posted:

You shouldn't set the maximum number of pikmin to carrying something unless you have to - it just takes too many pikmin away from you. After you killed that first frog you lost almost half your pikmin just to carrying all the loot back, which meant you couldn't deal with the second frog. After you swarm an item, use quick whistles to call some of the carriers back.

IMO the best strategy is to not have them carry anything back until everything in the area is dead, but both Fae and myself have very short attention spans and I'm not gonna get all up in arms about MY OPTIMAL STRATERGIES in the middle of the videos. Carrying early is fine too, and there wouldn't have been a problem if she'd handled the second frog as well as she handled the first. She didn't, but past me didn't expect that.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Fae and I just did a recording session. Major spoilers behind this image:

:getin:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Faerie Fortune posted:

:siren:Update Time:siren:

Episode 11 - You Are Rude

This was recorded about two weeks ago and when I was watching it to check the quality just now, I got mad all over again :colbert:

There is nothing I could have said to prepare you for that and you know it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The throwing speed in all of the pikmin games has remained constant - it is entirely based on how fast you push the button and there is no limiter otherwise. Fae is just a slow button masher. The pikmin will fly as fast as you mash the button, which is very important for speedruns. We are not doing a speedrun so I'm not too worried about it, although I did ask Fae about maybe installing a turbo button sometime. We haven't done that yet.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Internet Kraken posted:

Catching up on these videoes, I can't decide what is more horrifying; Fae playing this game blind or Argate Gnome misleading her with bad advice.

You don't swarm the wollywogs! :gonk:

Always swarm the wollywogs! It weighs them down and kills 'em really fast. You just need to not do it until they land, is the trouble.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Major_JF posted:

Is the 33/33/33 thing in this one?

It is, I'm saving that for later.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Internet Kraken posted:

Fae's only strategy against...well, everything, is "swarm swarm swarm". For the sake of the LP its probably good that she didn't actually get to fight the Progg itself because that would of been a disaster.

Also my favorite thing about snitchbugs is how they fly. If you look at their model you'll notice they don't actually have wings. Instead they just have huge antennae which they use as substitutes for wings. Its so goofy.

If the progg fight had been the game-ending disaster I was expecting it to be, we would've restarted day 14 and not poked it. Pikmin 1 has a dedicated "revert to last save" option in both the pause menu and the end of day screen, so we are playing the game with that option very much on the table.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Internet Kraken posted:

"Ignore the puffy blowhog"
*complete slaughter because the blowhog knocks pikmin off the bulbear*

Gnome stop getting pikmin killed Fae can do that on her own.

EDIT: Oh my god it just keeps getting worse Gnome why did you do this

I admit, I made a very bad tactical decision there. My thinking at the time was "there is zero way to kill the puffy blowhog without waking up that first bulbear, so lets quickly kill the bulbear first."

A better decision would have been "Fae we're not going in this direction without about 10 bomb rocks."

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Pikmin health is incidental to parts retrieval, and that is my official stance on pikmin mortality.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Gimbal lock posted:

This might be stating the obvious but wow are you ever terrible at this game!

Shei-kun posted:

I look forward to the next horrible slaughter of Pikmin :allears:

Alright, can this stuff just stop already? It's a blind, first time play through of an RTS game with finicky controls and extremely disposable minions. This last video was a really good day, and I'm getting real tired of this "Wow fae's so bad!" meme going on. We got hit with a fire spout and lost 50 pikmin in one go. That'll happen. Fire is dangerous and very little can be done about it once you've taken the hit. And I can guarantee everyone who has played this game on their own has reset after an equally disastrous moment, they just weren't mocked for it over the internet.

In the run that actually mattered, we only lost 20 pikmin, and we lost them to one of the most dangerous enemies in the game. We killed the boss super fast, got the last part in the area, gained twice as many pikmin as we lost, and got at least 60 flower pikmin of each color. We're on day 16 with 21 parts. We are in a very good position to beat the game and even take a shot at 100%'ing this game, which most people do not do until their second or third play through.

Yes, there's some bumbling with directions. We've had to restart a couple days and it's taken time to learn the controls. Yes, we lose pikmin, but I'm certainly not helping in that regard and at least two of these massacres are at my hands, not hers. Hell, I was even gunning for a third that could've cost actual hundreds of pikmin, but Fae circumvented it. We are making some serious progress through this game within the time limit the game has allotted us.

If your only comment on the video is just "wow I'm so happy to see how bad Fae is" then please, kindly shove it up your rear end. Because she isn't terrible at this game. She's just new to it. We're learning. And we're thriving. There is a surplus of pikmin, a surplus of time remaining, and a mostly assembled ship for us to ride home in.

There will be more disasters. That's a given. I know I've had disasters far worse than anything in this LP happen to my crew before. Anyone who has played this series has a story to tell about losing dozens of pikmin to a timely mistake.

It happens.

So don't worry about it.

And stop bein' rude to Faerie Fortune.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I would've made a followup post saying I was indeed serious and that I would very much like people to knock off the insult the LPer brigading going on, but ChaosArgate covered it for me while I was asleep. Everything he's said is spot on - it is very discouraging to be doing well and have a good 50-80% of the followup comments in the thread be "Wow aren't you bad at this!" It sucks and I'd like it to stop, and I appreciate how chill most of you are being about that request. Thanks.

But back to having fun,

CrazySalamander posted:

Serious stuff over, now check this out:

Apparently it's someone's wedding cake!

That is a hella cool cake.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Doopliss posted:

The Wall of Fallen Pikmin is still kosher, right? :ohdear:

Yeah, The Wall should be fine, it's goofy and fun. Bad Things Happen in pikmin.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

There are more of those beetles in Pikmin 2? That seems like it could get tedious to play real fast.

Like all boss enemies demoted to regular enemies, they have a lot less HP in pikmin 2.

Doopliss posted:

On a similar note, frozen grapes are just the best. Ordinary grapes are pretty decent? Freeze them and they become something else entirely.

Also, it's been at least a page since the Wall has been linked, and that's unacceptable. These Pikmin have families! Or whatever the Pikmin social equivalent of families is, I guess. They have pellet/corpse-mates?

Pikmin family structure seems to be "leader + followers," but for some reason actual pikmin leaders have all died. So now they follow Olimar instead, as the replacement dad, and the pikmin themselves are an interchangeable worker caste.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Has it been mentioned yet that blue pikmin can serve as lifeguards if they're deactivated in water near pikmin of other colors when they fall in? I'm not really sure it would be a spoiler this close to the end of the first game, and it's an incredibly niche application, but it means a little planning can save pikmin if you expect to have to run pikmin of other colors around water.

It hasn't been mentioned yet because I actually forgot this was a mechanic! It's a really good mechanic, but it comes up so rarely. Maybe we can show it off in a video later.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
As annoying as that bug is, it is sort of a bonus against the flying sheargrubs, because the damage doesn't seem to be negated, just delayed. So if all your pikmin are beating the crap out of a sheargrub eating one of your pikmin, it will instantly die as soon as it's done eating, which means it won't fly off to regenerate health.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Unknown Quantity posted:

I don't know if content that no longer exists or got removed from the final cut of the game counts as spoilers, but in old trailers for Pikmin, I distinctly recall Snagrets being able to pop out completely from the ground. As in, feet and all. Terrifying.

This is spoilers, but not for the reason you think it is. Fae, don't read the spoiler tags on this post or the one I'm quoting.

Snagrets that come out of the ground did not make the final cut of pikmin 1, but come back in later games.

ChaosArgate posted:

Out of the blue comes an announcement no one was expecting: Pikmin 4 is almost done.

This is the best news! I am so excited! I love Pikmins you guys.

Fingers crossed for a surprise holiday release out of nowhere.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

GeneralYeti posted:

What the heck was up with the bomb rocks? They weren't exploding, the ones that did didn't do damage... I do like that you managed to kill one of the Dwarf Bulbears when you were trying to blow up the big one.

Yeah I don't know what was going on there either, they were remarkably ineffective. They usually do so much more.

I think the bulbears' little feets might just have a weird hitbox and the bombs weren't exploding close enough to hit their body somehow. The blast radius really looks and feels like it should be bigger than it actually is.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
It's fine. What's challenge mode for if not for horrible pikmin experimentation time?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Paul.Power posted:

Since we've seen optional parts that were gifts from Olimar's son and daughter, I'm wondering if the final part might be a gift from his wife.

A portable garden would definitely be the coolest idea, though.

The Libra and Sagittarius are very much not optional parts! They are windows on the ship and it needs them to be space-proof. The optional parts are the flotation ring, the nova blaster, the massage chair, the UV lamp, and the one from the Final Trial that we haven't gotten yet.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

FoolyCharged posted:

I don't know how the hell the guy tapped A so fast, but the speedrun I watched one cycled the Emperor Bulbax.

A trick that I didn't remember in this most recent video is that feeding more bombs stuns the Bulblax for longer, so if you have him eat 20 bombs at once and then just shove pikmin all over with good button taps, a one cycle kill is absolutely possible. It's very difficult but very possible.

Killing him in one or two cycles is absolutely crucial for beating the Final Trial in a single day, too, because otherwise there's no way to have the time to do all the trials, kill Bulblax, and then bring the final part back to your ship.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Pyroi posted:

BULBLAX COUNT: A grand total of 201 Pikmin were slain at the Emperor's hand. Good Work team!

It may still be too early to call that. We still need to walk across that bridge to get the part tomorrow - Emperor Bulblax's ghost has another shot at claiming a few more lives.

Now you may probably think that's spoilers because I'm the co-commentator but we recorded this over a month ago and I have no idea if we lost yet more to the bridge or not.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Alpha3KV posted:

Is Fae playing on the North American or European version? This is relevant because treasures can be different based on the regional version (JP/NA/EU), and things could get slightly awkward if you're not both on the same page. Although I guess it wouldn't really make a huge difference overall.

I have no idea what version she has, I'll need to ask, but I only ever played the NA version back in the day. But as you've no doubt seen from my excellent advice in the first game, I haven't played these in a long time and my memory is. Not great.

I'll get things wrong no matter what version we've got here.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The Ship is also way less egregious than Fi because it has an extremely charming character quirk we'll be getting a lot of throughout the rest of the game. The Ship's thirst for clever marketing knows no bounds.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Syka posted:

Two important corrections to the information gnome was giving you in this episode:

1. You do not have a 30 day time limit in this one. I mean, you'll probably pay off the debt before 30 days anyway, but you don't have a day limit to worry about.

2. Your pikmin don't need to be in your squad when you jump deeper into a cave. Any pikmin still alive will come down with you no matter where they are.

I feel like that second point cannot possibly be true. I swear I've had pikmin left behind before, which lead to my fairly rigorous pikmin squad-checking tendencies. There is one very specific cave where I want to say this happened to me and ruined my run through it, but it wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong on a thing. It also will not be the last.

Even if that is true though, it isn't worth risking your pikmin to just dive deeper into the caves anyway. Double checking your pikmins' safety before going deeper into danger is just the sensible thing to do.

As for the 30 day thing, I actually thought that was a thing and just wasn't mentioned until things get dicey back home. In retrospect, a time limit wouldn't make any sense considering what happens when you get the money. Oh well. We'll still get the money way before the end of the month.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Q: Why will Pikmin 2 be a million updates long?

A: Pikmin Lore.

My other favorite Gamecube game is Metroid Prime. I am a sucker for really good games that also give me infinite reading material.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Purples are WMDs in this game. I'm pretty sure this was supposed to be balanced out by several other factors, but the downsides are mostly a non-factor when ten or twenty chain-thrown purples will annihilate almost anything. In addition to their obvious utility in combat and for carrying things, they have a couple of specific niche uses that are more nuanced using the ground-pound that we may not see for a while, if ever, because they're not very obvious.

I really doubt we'll ever see any of those other uses in this LP because they're basically exploits and are literally never required for anything. And if I remember right, most of them are kinda risky if you don't know how to do them, and I don't think we're going to be risking our precious supply of purple pikmin when we don't have to. So if you have videos on those sorts of niche uses, feel free to post 'em after we see the areas/enemies where those are relevant.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Or if you cannot find a copy of pikmin 2, because it is surprisingly expensive these days, especially the Gamecube version, you could always get Pikmin 3. That game is also quite good!

If you do that though, don't post in this thread about it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Don't worry, I've got it, I have been sitting on an upgraded avatar image for a while now.

Seriously though, what a weird thing to do. I was kinda expecting something like this after the "don't hate" post but I really expected it to happen at that time, not like, 6 months later after a completely innocuous post to not tell us about pikmin 3 in here.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yeah, it isn't really a spoiler to say it at this point, because we've seen most of the in-game evidence already. Pikmin 2 has most of the evidence: All these remains are real-life human-made items that could not exist except on Earth, we find some globes, and, most tellingly, humans are very clearly gone. It isn't clear how exactly it happened, but this is definitely a future Earth, after some kind of extinction-level event.

The popular theory is that the Pikmin world ended in nuclear fire, because there isn't anything in the entire series larger than a really small dog, and well over half of the enemies in the game are bugs. Bulborbs are basically mutant gerbils, and the pikmin are a completely new kind of life defying modern understandings of the categories of life (which we talked about a lot in the last game, whether pikmin are more plantoid or fungoid or animal in nature). But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter how Earth came to be like this. What matters is that it did, and we're here now, and those bottlecaps are worth 100 pokos each, so we need to nab 'em.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yeah, the auto-saves make save scumming really easy. We're trying to keep it to a minimum but if things ever go really impossibly bad (like they almost certainly will against what is to come in some later dungeons), we'll probably resort to it some, like we did in pikmin 1. There is a very, very good reason the game saves every floor.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

chocolatekake posted:

I made a tribute to the lives lost in the most recent excursion by brave Captains Olimar and Louie and their dear Pikmin companions.

:britain: In Memoriam :britain:

This is absolutely incredible

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

You can increase your right stick's deadzone in Dolphin's controller config, that should help with the sticking C-Stick.

Yeah, we didn't think to try this until the next recording session. We're dummies like that. This totally solved it, too.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Skyridge posted:

I'm actually pretty certain only the location of all enemies, treasure, entrance, and exits are randomized. Each floor has the same geography every time.

This is partially true. Certain floors are always the same layout on every visit, while the rest always use the same pieces but the pieces might be attached differently. So the generated floors will have all of the same elements - the same rooms and the same set pieces - but they'll be attached together in different ways, with different kinds of connecting hallways to make them fit together properly. It's a partial procedural generation.

It gives you the illusion that you're always going to the same places, but nothing is quite how you remember it.

The illusion is further increased because the floors that are always the same on every visit are usually the most memorable ones. The final floor of every dungeon is always exactly the same in every way, and the rest floors always have the same layout too (although your entry and exit points may change). Most dungeons also have one or two unique floors that are like nothing else in the game, which have locked layouts like the Final Floor does. We don't reach it in this video, but this cave has a windy maze area with lots of slopes and right angles and zero open spaces that really stands out, and that floor is always exactly the same, down to the treasure locations, entrance, exits, and enemy placements. Hitting a floor like that every so often helps hide how the less memorable floors keep changing up on you.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh, ok. I thought I remembered someone saying that it technically had one but it wasn't an issue for Reasons, but I could easily be misremembering.

I said that earlier in the LP, but I had remembered wrong! I thought this game still had a time limit, because of the "your boss is being pursued by loan sharks" subplot, but no. It has no time limit, your boss can be on the run for as long as you need him to be.

But even if it did have a time limit, caves would make the time limit fairly trivial. Any given cave except the very first one has like 10% or more of the total treasure you need in them, so clearing them out will very quickly get you towards your goal without advancing the clock to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Hello, do you want to watch another LP starring myself and Faerie Fortune? Because I just started a new one of those: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775718

Now all the bad advice I give is immediately put into practice without a second thought! So, it's basically the same.

• Locked thread