Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Downloaded the first episode and man was it a flashback to watch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Everyone has flame throwers that don't do poo poo, someone should just bring a blow torch that is able to cut steal.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm not convinced that the announcers don't record their commentary until after the match. They sound extremely unnatural at all times.

Also funny seeing Sean Salisbury on the original one. I had no idea he did BattleBots before ESPN hired him. Speaking of which, this show should really be on ESPN2 (which falls under the same ownership).

Of all the crazy stupid sports ESPN has put on the air over the years, it is surprising they never picked up any robot fights.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Yeah, no mercy for robots. If someone's robot breaks down you go in and absolutely destroy that poo poo.

It's for the good of America.

Also, there has to be a loving royal rumble or some poo poo where the 8 losing bots all go in at once and the last bot standing gets another shot or some poo poo. That's good television.

I really hope they do that... There should only be 3 battles for the final... so maybe they will stick in a battle royal at the end? One can only hope we get a battle royal with Tombstone and Bronco running around...

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 15, 2015

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I don't get why people don't plan for the possibility of being put upside down in these things.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pakled posted:

I wonder how that new attachment is supposed to work.

It's literally there to keep ice wave's spinner out of distance.

Also - cat ears is what happens when kids can't bully anymore.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I don't get why people don't plan for the possibility of being put upside down in these things.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

TNO posted:

I want to see a Tombstone vs. Ghost Raptor final just to watch the de-icer do the same thing again :allears:

Would take a lot more effort to get it positioned right since tombstone is so much lower to the ground... However the chances are probably high that Ghost Raptor will get into the finals... despite losing their main weapon in round 1.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Philip Rivers posted:

There's a time limit for holds? That's stupid, if you catch someone and they can't get loose then that should be a legit tactic.

Of course theres a limit on holds. A bot the could just pick a bot and hold in the air forever would only be cool for a couple matches.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Aphrodite posted:

Uh, gently caress you Battlebots. Tombstone just lost.

For the second time in a row.

Pretty amazing actually, the other bots the last 2 matches only had to survive one or two more hits from Tombstone and they would have won the match!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Xelkelvos posted:

Lol at the "three favorites." Nightmare is tolerable because its design is so goofy, but idgaf about the other two.

Nightmare is legitimately a bad rear end bot though. It sucks it doesn't have a way to right itself, but Nightmare was always my favorite in the battlebots series. The other 2, one is a girl and the other I don't know why it's a favorite :D

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Kloaked00 posted:

Well, there's Tombstone's weakness - defense wedges

Tombstone's weakness is any bot that can take a handful of hits as was seen in the last 3 fights for Tombstone where a long fight Tombstone tears itself apart.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

DOOP posted:

They changed the rules to mandate powered weapons and prevent wedgebots, but the winner is gonna be a wedge

Lol

No no, you see they still had the flipping arm thing.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

At the very least, it's probably a lock for a slot on ESPN in the future.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Etalommi posted:

The biggest hit in the finals happened before the fight even started.

Wedgebots are lame and it's stupid that they got away with that.

If they didn't use the arm during the match I'd agree with you. But since they did use their arm to control the early fight, I think they should be ok and wasn't just a cheap way to skirt the rules.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MadScientistWorking posted:

Arguably Bite Force had one of the worst designs in the competition. Tank treads and even magnets that they used are relatively pointless and increase the likelihood that you would be immobilized.

Yet it was rarely off the ground and nobody was able to get at the tank treads. Both from it being a good solid design and from good solid driving, which is probably the most important part of a good battlebot.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fire is pretty much the only thing I would think a drone could do to damage somebody. There's just no way you can do damage to a metal object flying above it. Anything that you use to hit the other bot is just going to gently caress up a drone. But of course fire burns up so you'd probably burn the drone more than the opponent :D

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I don't have much to add, but I love Battlebots.

Also Adam Savage should just be an announcer instead. I feel like he'd do better at it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Subyng posted:

Yeah, regarding beta, I dont think it should have won against lucky since its blows were completely ineffectual, while lucky made fewer, but more effective and deliberate attacks. The scoring system is dumb if it doesn't take into account effectiveness of attacks.

But, all lucky's hits did was launch beta in the air. It didn't do any damage at all. Lucky did look like it took some hits and the flipper was even broken for half the match.

Also, lol at Nightmare still not being able to figure out the self righting mechanism after like 15 years.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

It makes me sad that we miss matches and just get to see recaps of them. They are only three minutes long, they could have shown all of them and only lost 15 minutes of people talking.

They gotta get their reality TV show story lines going though.

I wouldn't mind if they just posted the full fights online. I understand some of the early fights probably might not be super exciting. But give us a way to watch it :(.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

AndyElusive posted:

Why even bother with flying drones? Are they just for the spectacle? I can't see any quad rotor drone assisting in any capacity or ever dealing any damage to a ground based robbit.

I could see if someone really dedicated time to building a drone bot it could maybe be effective. But these 20 pound drones that have poor control? Not going to do very much.

Also with the hammer bots, some of the bots of really bad protection from the top. You can even see Complete Controls insides from the top, one or two hammer/axe strikes straight into the internal components would destroy it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pakled posted:

Yeah, flamethrowers are allowed under the new rules. Last season, no flamethrower really seemed to be particularly effective, this was the first time a flamethrower seemed to appreciably damage another bot so that was cool.

I can't wait to see if this evolves farther in the future. Being able to hold a bot and apply fire for 20-30 seconds is going to probably damage a lot of bots in some way. Even if the flame doesn't get inside the internals, The heat alone might be enough to mess up some components.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Oh Snapple! posted:

Watching this first episode now and holy hell Blacksmith losing its hammer cracked me the gently caress up.

EDIT: Disk O'Inferno got loving robbed. Even without its weapon it controlled that entire match, and Chomp's blows didn't really do poo poo.

Disk Inferno's flips didn't do anything either though, other than make Chomp fly around. Chomp did break their main weapon for half the match and did at least dent up the bodywork. It was a close fight, but I'd give it to Chomp as well. Hopefully Disco Inferno gets a wildcard spot based on the cool design and the characters the team provides to The Battlebots Reality TV Show.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

That is what you call a Battlebot Hernia I guess. Spins up, all it's guts on the floor in 5 seconds. Guess they should have spent more time on the bot than the costumes!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Subyng posted:

Wtf Ghost raptor? What a lovely robot. What were they thinking?

"We can Muhammad Ali" this fight guys.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I don't get why we got full versions of the first 2 fights that were over and out but missed a couple of the maybe fun fights they just skimmed through :(

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lets point our unarmored tire at the vertical spinner of the other bot. What could go wrong?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

She's not a kid anymore my friend. Shes a nice looking lady. Which is a big factor for ABC picking wildcard bots.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They have the bracket up at http://www.battlebots.com/bracket-s2/

They also have the days the fights are happening. 4 fights on the 7th, 4 fights on the 14th, and 8 fights on the 21st.

Also for those upset about Blacksmith getting in, they put it up against Minotaur next week, I can make a good guess which bot will win that one.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 1, 2016

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

T1g4h posted:

Icewave versus Nightmare :lol:

I love Nightmare, I truly do, but that bot is doomed.

Probably. Nightmare was always my favorite back in the day, too bad it hasn't evolved enough for these new bots. Hopefully they get a good first spinner on spinner impact though and see which bot survives all the energy.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ah haaaa, poor fuckin' Rotator. "This Battlebots tournament is the only thing giving my dying father hope!! I've been looking forwards to this since I was a kid!!" /loses in 15 seconds /does not get wildcard draw

I don't think they even tried, just kept their tire pointed directly at the spinning disk like the tire was gonna do something :D

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Ror posted:

The new projectiles rules are kind of weird but it will be interesting to see if anyone can do anything good with them in the future. You can use them untethered now but the effectiveness is super limited by other rules: no explosions (so air guns only), no entanglement devices left in the arena (I'm not entirely sure of the full implications but I think it rules out firing stuff like ball bearings or anything that can get caught in wheels), and no damage to arena floor or walls (so you have to rein in the power). That last part is the real killer, any gun with enough power to reliably punch through bot armor is going to be able to do some damage to those polycarbonate or whatever walls. Gold guns that shoot special effects are rad though.

I think really the only time it could be useful is for what initially looked like what happened in this fight. It could be a way to knock a full body spinner bot off balance by hitting it. Otherwise, yea, a projectile bullet is unlikely to do anything to any of these bots. It really was fun watching them put on a big show as they entered the arena, and then the bot just fell apart in 5 seconds.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

AndyElusive posted:

So Megatento is designed entirely to never make it beyond one or two flights right? Like it has no defense against spinners at all and its offensive weapons are practically nil. I get the designer is basically a kid who's just happy to be there though.

lol, she's like 30 years old! It's just a bot she made when she was a kid back when Battlebots was on originally and she just has kept the same basic design for some reason.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

And purely ornamental flying flamethrowers.

I'm glad they got rid of the weight classes. Now that I've seen it without them, I wonder why they ever had them in the first place.

They didn't really get rid of weight classes. They just went with a single super heavy weight class.

The lightweight bot fights are fun too.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I would be down to join and I have platinum! I am a poor but I shower on a regular basis. I like the first ladder pick option.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Scoring based on dominance:

4 points for a <1 minute knockout.
3 points for a <2 minute knockout.
2 points for a knockout.
1 point for a win.

For rumbles, 1 point for every robot that dies before they do.

This wont really work since they like to do recaps of fights. Based on the schedule they put up, 4 fights will get the recap treatment on the 21st.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Oh poo poo, my bad. Yeah I was thinking 9 EST. Lemme know if there are any issues.

Cool.

How will the draft process occur and how long do you think it will take? I might have to start the draft and then send a list and leave halfway through. I have to work at 11 EST on Monday.

Although my guess is some others might have plans for the 4th?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I thought about that, but like, if somebody signed up for this, ignored every one of my posts and private messages about when it was and what to do if they couldn't make it., then I'm personally ok with them not getting any good bots. If you and the others think this is too vindictive then maybe I'll just use the seeded list.

This is totally okay. If you sign up for this and don't care to participate a little bit, you should get what you get!

I'm okay with being the 8th pick, picking two bots at a time will make it easy! I was going to just pick bots pretty much just by name recognition, but I don't want to end up picking 2 bots that are fighting in round 1 or 2... will have to actually look at the bracket.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

gently caress you Doop. Since my picks are back to back, hope it's okay to do them both at once :).

Ghost Raptor
Stinger

Beta
Complete Control
Hypershock
Yeti
Chomp
Cobalt
Razorback
Brutus
Lockjaw
Bombshell
Captain Shrederator
Lucky
Warrior Dragon
Warhead
Overhaul
Nightmare
Blacksmith
Poison Arrow
Mega Tento
Ringmaster
Red Devil
Chrome Fly
Escape Velocity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PBS Newshour posted:

This is true, stinger and ghost raptor are both my favorite "underdogs who will never win" though

Ghost Raptor proved last year to be a good team. They went really deep without their main weapon for no reason at all!

• Locked thread