Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Game over man. RIP :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

True, since the ships are at least able to function as bombers they've got the jars tightly packed in this sort of gatling gun feeder belt arrangement (at least I think you see one in the Covenant flashback that has David actually carpet bombing the Engineer city).

You are correct. In one of the Aliens Fireteam Elite campaign levels you also see the jars packed into the belt fed bomber arrangement. You can see the jars being prepped for bombing 30s into the clip from Covenant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnOy051aTJo&t=30s

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Can Fireteam be played single player?

It can, but it's way more fun with people. Especially on the harder difficulties.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Fireteam is third person because [...]

Also to see all the cool cosmetics :allears:

Paying extra for the Vasquez bandana and "adios" decal is worth it to support the devs. Still waiting on Drake's cap with the beads and the smartgunner eye piece thing. Will gladly pay for those as well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

The smartgunner eyepiece is in the game, I have it. I’m not sure if it was a random loot drop from one of the in-mission hidden crates, but I think it might have been. I’ll check the armory shop next time I’m in-game and make sure it’s not hiding in there.

Ahh, it's definitely not in the requisition/rep stock. So yeah, it's either from a hidden cache or a mission reward from one of the higher difficulties then I guess!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah Fireteam

It's really fun. Very much a love letter to James Cameron's Aliens imo. If you enjoy pulse rifles and smartguns like me, you will enjoy the game.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bring back Blomkamp's follow up to Aliens.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

This one sucks too because it’s lame recon fan poo poo.

I just want my properties to be subversive and divisive and cool. I don’t want to be fan bated. I want something new!

I don't care what the story is. I'd just know I'd probably love an Alien film done up in the Blomkamp aesthetic, replete with pulse rifles.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MLSM posted:

I’ll never understand how Blomhack stans still exist after Elysium, Chappie, and Demonic.

I haven't watched Demonic yet. I didn't like Elysium much, but I enjoyed Chappie. My enjoyment of any film is largely based on how pretty I think the visuals are—the prettier the movie the more I'm likely to at least partly enjoy it, even if the story and characters are weak/dumb/whatever. Blomkamp might be a one-trick pony, but his movies have a very distinct sci-fi aesthetic that runs right in line with my personal taste.

[edit] Blomkamp also did make a bunch of cool short films through Oats Studios. And he did that Anthem short film that I'm sure gained him some fans.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 20, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MLSM posted:

It was so bad you didn’t even hear about it.

Nobody knew about it. I remember reading articles where the headlines said he made the film in secret during the pandemic (with on-set COVID protocols in place).

[edit] Have you seen Zygote? It's Blomkamp sorta channeling Alien:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKWB-MVJ4sQ

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, Disney would be lucky to have someone like Snyder on any project imo, but there's no way Snyder would ever kowtow to Disney execs because lol.

[edit] Just reminding the thread Blomkamp made a short film with Sigourney Weaver about an alien invasion that's pretty cool.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 20, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve had enough Cameron’s alien style in my life.

Please do something else

I mean I'm down for another Alien vs Predator movie, but only if they bring back Arnold as Dutch and introduce Linn Kurosawa.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah I was gonna watch AVP but now Ima watch Demonic instead, lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

banned from Starbucks posted:

I dont know why Blomkamp cant just do a District 9 sequel...you know the one movie of his that was pretty much universally loved.

He's working on it:

https://twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/status/1365167374421225473

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I just finished Demonic. It sucked. Lol. The one interesting idea that I feel like Blomkamp could run with given the proper budget though: black ops priests using bleeding-edge simulation tech to draw out demons from their possessed hosts in order to hunt them. I thought that was a hilarious reveal but later on felt it would make a good premise for a horror actioner.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 20, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Blood Boils posted:

Neil hasn't made a bad movie of any length yet, and demonic looks dope. His career is fine lmao

Demonic was pretty bad imo. I know the film is outside of his usual genre (sorta?), but it lacked all the flair of his previous works that makes his style so distinct. Clearly it was a low budget joint, but it was just so boringly shot. Some neat concepts buried underneath, but yeah, if it weren't for the brief appearance of demon hunting mercenary priests utilizing simulation tech, you'd be hard pressed to know it was a film made by Blomkamp. His Oats Studios shorts are significantly better.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

It's odd to see people jump to conclusions so quickly about an alien that's friendly after those same people praised Covenant (and the chestburster scene where the Alien mimics David and he talks of taming it when grown prior to it being gunned down) and Alien Resurrection also toyed with how horrifying the idea can be with the interactions between the newborn and Ripley.

I explicitly remember a comic I had growing up that featured a pale green-colored xeno that was romping around with marines, hunting other bad xenomorphs. It even had its own "xeno pulse rifle" looking weapon from what I recall, lol. Does anyone ITT know what I'm talking about? Or am I crazy?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

banned from Starbucks posted:

i think thats Alien Stronghold. It was a synthetic xeno named Jeri who had a cigar.

Oh yeah. Maybe I'm crossing over different xenos together because I do remember a good guy xeno being sorta pale-green or white, but I definitely remember having Stronghold now too lol. poo poo looks super familiar. The other one I'm thinking of had a more "organic" looking pulse rifle, that looked like alien tech.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

I think you’re blending a few things together.

There’s another comic with a synthetic Alien designed by a terminally-ill roboticist who deploys it into wild hives for research and to gather “royal jelly”, a recurring goop in the comics that kind of does whatever the plot needs it to do (sometimes it’s like a PCP-mega-steroid, sometimes it’s a painkiller, sometimes it mutates people like the Black Goo, sometimes people just get high with it).
The robo-Alien ends up trying to defend its creator against some hostile Aliens at one point I think, and I’m pretty sure it gets destroyed.

Oh I definitely am. I had these comics when I was like 6 or 7 lol. What comic issue is the summary I quoted though? I wonder if that's the one I'm thinking of, because I do remember the good guy xeno dying in the one I read.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

That's "Aliens: Hive" (also reprinted as "Aliens: Harvest").

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=115021

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=568361

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=755901

The art style was really distinctive, if that helps.

Haha, holy poo poo. Yup that's it. That's the one I'm remembering—pale green xeno with an organic pulse rifle weapon thing, lmao:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Well poo poo, I didn’t remember that at all. Then again it’s been like 15 years since I read that series, maybe I’ll go back and re-read it.

It's funny how my brain remembers that specific panel from that comic. I was likely 5 or 6 when I first read it (I'm in my mid 30s now). Memories are weird.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Just wanted to chime in and say this predator/aliens squad swap discussion is hilarious and has been fun to read :allears:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, Prey is tons of fun. Not as good as Predator 1 or 2, but still solid. Lead character is cool, and the predator design is great. I wish they spoke Comanche throughout, seeing as how they didn't bother to subtitle the French trappers speaking French. There being a Comanche dub is sweet though. Gonna do a rewatch with that on later today.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 5, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'd put it a little above Predators because we get to see the predator fight a big rear end bear lmao. The predator sort of feeling out the talent on the planet by moving up the food chain with each hunt was cool. First kill was the snake I think, then the wolf, then the bear. I wonder if there's some connection to Native American myth with each of those kills. That'd be neat.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MrMojok posted:

Why isn't this on Disney+ right now? Am I off on my timezones?

It's on Hulu.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

It cheated that fight. Had to be invisible to win it. This was honestly the worst Predator I've ever seen, especially since it's the first with a clear loss where people could just take its stuff.

I think it's arguable that this predator handicapped itself on purpose. It had a very minimal loadout, and its laser guided shoulder canon wasn't fitted with the plasma blaster thing. It almost certainly had the option of bringing that along, because I don't believe in the idea that their species hadn't developed that weapon tech at the time. Not when they literally have access to interstellar travel.

[edit] Also, the cloak tech didn't really matter during the bear fight I think; the bear had the scent of the predator.

quote:

Also how did they get the gun to pass to Danny Glover, haha.

The illustrations during the end credits show the predator ships descending on Naru's tribe after she had claimed the predator kill and become the war chief.

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 5, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

My general thing is if you're cloaked, your movements can't be seen so nothing can act appropriately towards you in a fight. It's always a "cheat."

I'd agree with you, but the bear drew first blood even while the predator was still cloaked; its mouth was full of green blood. The only reason the predator was able the kill it is because it the bear walked away from the fight after taking a bite (lets assume the bear thought the predator's alien flesh tasted like poo poo lmao, that's why it "arrogantly" left the predator for dead).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rougey posted:

Or it might be that their hunting permit is in line with the available prey.

Muskets being the most advanced projectile weapon means no John Predator, you can't hunt humans with the plasma caster.

That's what I was thinking. This predator had to have handicapped itself, either by hunt protocol or by personal choice.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

If I have Hulu with ads, does that mean the movie gets interrupted with ads all over the place?

No. You only get a short ~2min barrage of commercials before the movie starts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rougey posted:

Muskets being the most advanced projectile weapon means no John Predator, you can't hunt humans with the plasma caster.

Going back to this, I loved that little comedic beat when 3 of the trappers had to stop and reload their muskets after firing on the predator to no effect.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Comanche dub is live now! :dance:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Azubah posted:

Anyone else watch the animation at the end credits for Prey?

They're hosed lol

I don't think they are. The predator ships descending on Naru's tribe was probably them coming down to pay tribute, similar to what they did with Danny Glover in Predator 2. i like to think Naru traded in her pistol for a sweet predator spear or something. Then Danny Glover gets the pistol 200+ years later.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Spacebump posted:

Prey is the second best in the franchise at worst. I can’t believe some posters think Predator 2 is better. I had low expectations going into this movie. It is my favorite R rated action movie since Fury Road. While it isn’t as good as Fury Road, it is pretty drat good. I can’t believe this didn’t got to theaters. Does anyone know why this wasn’t released in theaters?

You should probably give Predator 2 a rewatch if you haven't done so in a while. I remember not liking it much when I first saw it however many years ago because of how different it was from the first film, but each subsequent rewatch made me enjoy it more and more. It's so much fun, and is a great compliment to Predator 1987.

I can't remember where I read it on this forum, but a goon mentioned that Predator 2's aesthetic really grabs you from the screen; it's so grimy and smoky and sweaty that it really is almost tangible. 100% agree with that sentiment. The concrete jungle setting is super atmospheric. Great performances from Glover, Paxton, and Busey too.

[edit] Grammar

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 6, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Imagine criticizing a good movie pupper. Can't relate.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t know why they felt the need to do a callback (callforward?) to Predator 2, other than the fact that the date on the pistol’s engraving matched with the setting. It makes the ending a major unnecessary downer with that knowledge.:lol:

There's no reason to think the predator ships were coming down to wipe out Naru's tribe at the end. Based on what we know from other movies, the predators likely wanted to meet with Naru and like give her big ups or whatever for managing to kill one of their own.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I think this was probably me, but I definitely misremembred some details like the spaceship, which I realized after a recent rewatch after Prey:

[snip]

Ahh, that was the post, yeah. Great post, creatively descriptive. Lol. And now your photo example posts owns too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

One thing I don't get is the flintlock pistol thing. How does the predator in II end up with it if Naru has it? Did I just completely miss that Raphael was carrying two of them? Or is this some implicit sequel thing? Seems like a flimsy thing to balance the possibility of a sequel on; the implication either way is that the predator wins and keeps the pistol.

You said you were drunk, so I'd assume you weren't paying attention to the illustrations playing during the credits. They basically retold the entire film in pictorials, ending with Naru presenting the predator head to her tribe leader and becoming war chief. Shortly after, a final animated pictorial shows 3 predator ships descending on Naru's tribe. They almost certainly came down to pay tribute to Naru for her being able to kill one of their own, and likely gave Naru some sort of trophy and Naru gave them the pistol in trade.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

heckyeahpathy posted:

I think it was Adam Nayman's review that suggested that the predator in Prey is a rookie trying to prove itself, and I think that's an accurate read.

Some goons ITT have mentioned that Trachtenberg said the predator in this film was a juvenile on its first hunt. Haven't found a source for that though. There's also the implication that this is the species' first time scoping out Earth as a hunting ground too, based on this featurette:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sEC8JkDoRk

Though, the language used in the video above -- "this is the creature's first time on Earth" -- could also mean it's the juvenile predator's first hunt on Earth only, and not the species as a whole.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Make a Predator movie but it's basically The Last Samurai and a predator replaces Tom Cruise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

[edit] ^^^:sickos:

Bring Linn Kurosawa into live-action with an AvP movie so colonial marines can once again grace the big screen.