Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the difference between starting fresh in expert and doing gimmick poo poo in souls games is that doing gimmick poo poo in souls games is possible due to it actually having good combat

terraria does not

don't start fresh on expert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mondlicht posted:

I really enjoy the fact that tools don't degrade with use, I don't need to eat, or keep warm. I'll just tunnel into this snow and ice forever, I am a god!!

Characters are separate from worlds, in the way that if I'm playing single player now I can use this character to pop into multiplayer as well?

there's no environmental gating or anything, but you'll quickly find that areas can and will be gated by enemy difficulty. of course, there's plenty of ways to get around this if you know what you're doing, which makes it fun.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the arbitrary distinction between some swords having autoswing and others not having it is one of the dumbest things the game does and letting everything attack as long as you hold down the mouse button wouldn't magically break the difficulty of the game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

*rams fingers repeatedly in a door* Can't You See That I'm The True Winner Here

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

chances are it's not registering because the back wall is natural and not placed by you. it's alright to have the actual walls and floor and poo poo made out of, say, dirt, but back walls are different and the game is not a fan of dirt/snow/etc. back walls that are naturally occurring.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm pretty sure it's always been a joke about how sand does/did a shitload of damage in terraria if it falls on you

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

after trying to fight the destroyer for the first time in a while i've been reminded why i should probably make an arena for this poo poo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

those ichor things are loving monsters and losing most of your armor can be killer

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, the one negative thing about the progression in the game is that once you cap out there's literally no variance at all. it's just the same stuff across the board.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i dunno about that. i know that chlorophyte can prevent the spread of poo poo now, so if nothing else the lower jungle will never be converted

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hey

don't play expert, especially with one of the dumb options to drop your stuff when you die on

thanks

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

*rams fingers repeatedly in a door* Can't You See That I'm The True Winner Here

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Azzents posted:

I am of the opinion that Terraria has too much bullshit fly at you at any given time for mediumcore to have any draw.

I dread to think what kind of masochist would play hardcore.

no, seriously, the combat in terraria is godawful. 75% of it boils down to gaming the system because if you're fighting anything more complicated than a generic enemy, such as a boss, you're going to be steamrolled without twinking yourself out and/or cheesing poo poo. why else do people get pissed when dumb exploit stuff is removed. adding in dropping poo poo on death is loving dumb.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also make sure to check your map, because it highlights clumps of ore and will say what they are if you mouse over them. orichalcum is like purple-pinkish or some poo poo. you'd be amazed at how much you passed by when exploring.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Apparition posted:

Just beat WoF for the first time and got into hardmode. I've been smashing up some altars and all that to get more ores but I'm kinda curious, where should I be heading next?

work your way up to adamantite/titanium gear, making sure to make a new pick for each 'new ore' tier so you can mine the better ones. that stuff will pretty much become your baseline of what you want for the next set of bosses.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's genuinely a really stupid design decision

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oddium posted:

who's the girl next door living in the haunted mansion

also experiment #4 or something

i'm surprised more people don't try to make background stuff

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Daeren posted:

Or you're working with something like BYOND and Space Station 13's garbage pile of oldcode, in which case Satan himself lurks behind every corner, waiting for you to step on a landmine.

im coder

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

meet the ideas halfway, make a halfway-buried beached ship that's partially ruined and converted into a base

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's so cool i could see it on a shirt at hot topic

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

endgame throwing armor would have been cool, but the update is neat regardless

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

terraria seems like a very poor choice of platform for a thing like that

maybe starbound might work, but eh

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can't say that this was a crossover i would have really looked forward to, but at least it's some extra update waaaaaay late in the game's lifetime and not some big focus earlier on

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

actually kinda cool if entirely pointless

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

at that point i have to wonder why people are trying to go through so many gymnastics to make the awful combat in terraria even worse

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i remember the days when we were all clinging to every scrap of video from pbat and his forgetting that he has an anvil multiple times, and then getting the leak where the end-all be-all of weaponry was that blazing flail that dropped from the bone snakes in hell.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Crimson Harvest posted:

I think imkSushi's mods might have one that adds recipes for vanilla things. There are actually several but it's been months since I've messed with mods.

i think it's the basic imkSushi mod that adds a bunch of varying 'token' drops depending on what biome you're in and you can cobble together like 10 of one kind to get any item from the chest drop table from the corresponding area. there's a lot of stuff along those lines in it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Crimson Harvest posted:

Also we're the ally of Space, because Space keeps sending shooting stars and meteorites to try to kill the surface. Before I wrap up I want to make a tiny little biodome preserve of each biome in isolation and then pave with asphalt.

that's a neat gimmick

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

thorium is definitely the most like an actual bulky terraria expansion out of all the big content mods

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that would honestly be a pretty cool way of having it set up. i can see a mod focusing entirely on the aspects of the biomes fighting each other and the player being wrapped up in aiding or destroying certain sides of it to their benefit or peril.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the spread really is super slow and even in hard mode it's not difficult to cut off parts of the map to preserve them

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

graynull posted:

This may seem an odd question to ask here, but how does Minecraft hold up these days? I know it doesn't have nearly the progression content that Terraria does, but I am wondering if it might scratch some of that exploration/building itch while waiting for 1.3.6 (and the subsequent mods/tmodloader to update). I was also looking at No Man's Sky but am going to wait for a sale on that one.

your question would be way better served in the actual thread for minecraft modding, tbh

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718099

basically there's a lot of poo poo to play with and there's quite a bit of adventurey stuff if you're looking for that

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you do realize that mods make minecraft way more custom-tailored to the player's personal experience than terraria could probably ever hope for, right. being able to warp to any point i've established on a highly detailed map that's provided by one of many mods for that exact purpose beats out basically anything terraria could hope for. terraria mods are alright but they still don't hold a candle to minecraft ones unless you're specifically looking for janky bullet hell bosses in which case i guess the former wins out.

each game is a lot better with mods

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kalas posted:

AlchemistNPC has a point and click universal teleport (one shot) that puts you anywhere you want on the map.

There's also beacon teleport mods, and the base game has teleport pads you can set up to go anywhere.

true, but i like journeymap's function to just automatically put a waypoint anywhere you die so you can easily go back to wherever you were. especially since i always play with keepinventory on no matter what, anyways.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm kind of amazed terraria has gone on this long

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i definitely suggest thorium as the most 'actually like a real terraria update' big content mod out there

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dis astranagant posted:

I'd wager that at least a quarter of them sell potions or boss summoning items.

definitely probably that, at least half of that quarter probably entirely overlap while the rest sell mod-exclusive stuff

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so is that overhaul mod the gregtech of terraria, then

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

any idea on when the patchnotes are getting posted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Black August posted:

Journey Mode giving so much control without needing mods is going to provide a ton of replayability. It'll also make it really good for kids.

being great for kids is probably one of the best things about it, honestly