Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Killing Time by Caleb Carr was startlingly bad.

Oh, also Atlas Shrugged a book that was remarkable to me for being philosophically repulsive as well as uniquly dull at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

divabot posted:

...The heroes are based on various pagan gods, and the villains are based on historical movements such as the Jacobins, Luddites, Puritans, Aztecs, and others...

One of these things is not like the others...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Carnival of Shrews posted:

Perhaps I've read too much bad smut, but it was the Sproggle Pin passage that got me laughing like a loon near the end of a tough week. "Sproggle pin" occurs nowhere on the internet...except within the pages of The Suppliant, as excerpted on this very thread. It's a phrase worthy of the great Lionel Fanthorpe.

Just like 'the tiger in space'.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

Were these written by Britons, because I am getting some strong "British people who have heard of certain US states" vibes

Oh boy, the comic I've been translating has had a lot of that problem. My personal favourite being a prisoner who is to be taken by train from Alabama to Texas - sure, that's ok. But he's told to break out halfway there and hide himself in the Rockies.

Oh, and before they reach the train station, they're leaving Alabama by wagon and going first to Topeka, Kansas.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lovecraft in his personal life was way more blatantly in need of mental health help than anything.

Boy, that's an avatar/post combo.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh poo poo, LaB! I thought you had left the forums! Nice to see you again!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Was Jaws even any good in the first place? I thought it was on the usual list of dumb and bad books that got turned into great movies.

For another example of a book that was made into a WAY better movie, L.A. Confidential. The book was more reminiscent of American Psycho than anything by Dashiell Hammett.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

This isn't anything new, but it popped up in my feed and made me laugh all over again: Great Moments in Historical Novel Research, when an author did some googling for dye ingredients and somehow wound up putting recipes from a Zelda game into their book :bravo:

Makes me wonder what other dumb/blatant research fuckups have made their way to publication by other authors.

If memory serves, that's the author who wrote that piece of poo poo book the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Does it have a foreword by Matt Gertz?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

GreenMetalSun posted:

I had never heard of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas before and after a bit of Googling uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Like, isn't there someone at the publishing company who's supposed to stop stuff like that?

They fired all their editors as a cost-saving tactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I wouldn't necessarily say it was terrible, but Lovecraft Country had a bit in it that made me think, 'was this written by a white guy?' then I looked it up and found out that it was, and that experience kinda turned me off the book entirely.