Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Wanderer89 posted:

Group B is so magnificently terrifying, I love it. Here's my run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s37QkJ-dL4&t=1423s

Great battle back and forth, but clearly someone sucks at ice/snow worse than me, otherwise would've had me!

Just did the League. Did all right until a puncture in Finland where i lost a minute. Got the fastest time in Monaco at least :unsmith:. drat you guys are fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Hillclimbing is pretty brutal. The speed is fun, but its quite frustrating not having a codriver. I cant remember half the course.

Speaking of which, is anyone driving without pacenotes? I've seen some streamers do it, but I dont think there is a single stage i could do halfway decent without them. I use the symbols as well, because there are some "tightens into" corners where you are way past your braking point by the time he gets to what it tightens to using normal callout distance. There seems to be a few corners with symbols in Sweden and Germany that the codriver skips if you are going too fast as well.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Qmass posted:

I guess that works if you are running one stage over and over but I could never do it without the notes. Even with notes you still have to memorize the corners that are totally wrong... that right four near the finish on the long uphill greece stage is a motherfucker. Its like an off camber 3 at best, I hosed out so many times on that thing.

Yeah, that one has gotten me a few times too. There are a few of those. The "left 3" in Germany that is more like a "square left rocks on exit" gets me a lot. I believe its even a "caution 6 left into square right" going the other way. On uphill col du turini(?), the "left 4 slippy" that you need to treat as a 2 that also has a hole in the guardrail on the outside that instantly totals your car is also a bastard.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Got the global best time on one of the stages of this monthly challenge. Surprising since i'm 1. Not very good. 2. I generally dont do too well in Germany and 3. I made a few mistakes. I guess everyone must drive really carefully for the monthly or something.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I must be some kind of hipster. I probably have Monte Carlo as my favorite followed by Sweden. Wales is easily my least favorite rally, except maybe Germany if i'm in one of the FWD cars. Feels like way too many bullshit ruts and bumps you have to memorize to be competitive.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Once it really started clicking for me, that you can set yourself up to abuse the camber of the environment to manipulate the weight/motion of the car, Wales became one of my favorites.

Try to force yourself to accept camber as an advantage to be leveraged, a "force multiplier" if you would, instead of some sort of speed bump or obstacle to merely mitigate.

If you have the heart for it, force yourself to race the same track 5+ times (preferably something short so you don't hate yourself) without spinning out, crashing, or recovering the car. Just rest immediately and start over if you do. it's not so much that you need to memorize the specifics of every track, moreso it's to "train your eyes" so that you know where to anticipate to look to see the opportunities.

It not like I cant drive Wales at all. I've won Master level rallies in both Group B and 2010s there. I just don't like it much, and i cant seem to do as well there as in other rallies on the online leaderboards. Looking at replays, a lot of it seems to be that i'm not cutting anywhere near as aggressive as the fastest drivers. Take this corner on Geufron forest. Its a 4 left over crest. That would to me mean treat it as roughly a 3 left if i just had the pace notes. That this guy is taking flat in 6th by cutting it in a very specific way. If i'm taking that corner aggressive i usually crash and im probably loosing a second on that corner alone. I could probably rerun this stage over and over till i learn exactly how to do that corner, but that's not really the spirit of rallying to me. Conversely, there are very few places where you can cut this aggressively in Sweden or Monte Carlo, which is part of the reason why i like those better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GKjFwxMeKk&t=51s

Humbug fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 11, 2016

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Todays daily is hilarious. Lancia 037 on a long Monaco stage at night in heavy snow. At least its uphill. I spun and crashed and generally drove like poo poo, but it was still good enough for 32 out of about 1200 when I finished. A whole load of DNFs and Porkhammer showing everyone hes the boss going almost 10 secs faster than anyone else.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Uncle Jam posted:

Hey guyz, if I get a I5 6600 in a H170 socket and a gtx1060 this game will be good? I have a fx8120 and it stutters like a mofo now.

There seems to be stuttering issues for some people, even with powerful rigs. Works great on my 970 and i7 at 1440/max settings, and it also ran okay on my old laptop with a HD7970M, so your spec should be plenty.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
About that Alpine run.

I don't get how you are that fast with a controller New Zealand. I briefly tried Group B with a 360 controller, and I was immediately in all the ditches. Props.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Am I allowed to say i've really been enjoying the Lancia 037 lately? Huge fun in both Sweden in the monthly and Germany in the weekly. I find that i'm much more patient and careful in it than especially the modern cars. Since it has SO much performance it doesn't feel necessary to carry as much momentum through the corners.

I found Porkhammers Youtube where he uploads a lot of the online leaderboard laps. Look at how loving smooth he is in arguably one of the most difficult car/stage combinations in the game. If you ever wondered if smooth is fast, wonder no longer. 10 secs faster than anyone else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrwM1kFb7PU
What I don't enjoy are spectators on the outside of corners. They have been costing me some good results lately when i clip their fence with my rear. I guess they are historically correct when driving 80's cars though.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

njsykora posted:

Crosspost from the sim racing thread as it might interest some people in here.

I know some people in here roll with gamepads, it has gamepad support (RBR was a PS2 and Xbox game as well after all) but it's a bit finicky to get working so be advised.

I tried what i assume was this package. Pretty nice, but Rally School doesn't work. My car bounces around even when stationary through a physics glitch. Do you know how i can get fullscreen as well? All the startup options are labeled NULL. I played RBR when it first came out, but with a joystick. Definitely nicer with a wheel, but i seem to remember there being Swedish winter stages, which I couldn't find now. Am I remembering wrong?

As for Dirt Rally, there has been a lot of lovely RWD online challenges lately.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I figured out the config stuff. Setting resolution to 1980x1080 seemed to work also, although i seem to get some FPS drops. I think i still prefer DR due to more details on stages, better car turn-in and car variety. Dont get me wrong though. Its still a pretty cool game, and I can see how more sim-oriented players would prefer this over DR. Less grip and more understeer for sure. Thanks for posting about it here.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Doing online challenges early are a real confidence booster. I probably shouldn't check back at the end of the week to find how horribly i've been beaten by then.

I find one thing weird though. I run H-gate and clutch in the appropriate cars, like the R4s above. I expected that it would make me slower than the guys using sequential gears since I often run longer gearing to shift less and occasionally miss gears. Instead, I'm doing better in the manual cars than the modern sequential ones. Are the shift times when using auto-clutch in the manual cars significantly longer than whats possible using a clutch? It also possible that I'm just not very good in the 2000s/2010s though.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Thief posted:

the wildest car in the game :allears:

Well yeah, its very prone to violent oversteer, but it has load of torque everywhere in the rev range, and a lovely crisp turn-in that lends itself well to the smooth style it requires. Keep a high gear into the corner, and it will surge out without even needing too much throttle control. Compare that to the IMO awful 205 T16 with its 200 rpm powerband and massive entry understeer. It would probably benefit massively from a smooth style with its short spin-happy wheelbase, but instead you need to absolutely man-handle it to turn it in and keep it on boost.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Snagged 49th Global up Pikes Peak in Modern :smugdog:

7:28:348. Only 40 seconds or so faster than Loeb IRL. I'm positive a majority of that difference comes from gearing, mine was topping out at 156 vs 149 in real life.

I'll never be as smooth as him tho

Nice. Thats like 30 secs faster that i've ever done it. Grats!

I made a side by side of some random guy in dirt and Loeb.
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/586bd1c649853-side-by-side-pikes-peak.php
It seems that cutting more aggressivly and carring more speed makes a lot of the difference. Can't really blame Loeb for having a sense of preservation for himself and the spectators though.
I do think that the asphalt grip model in dirt isn't that realistic though. You slide easy, but you have way too much grip and control when you slide.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I think part of it is that Monte Carlo was the first asphalt stages in the game, and it doesn't feel that unrealistic there, with the low speed, narrow roads and mixed in ice. You cant powerslide as wildly everywhere there. It falls apart the faster you go culminating with the 208 on PP. Not that I terribly mind though. There are plenty of sims on asphalt that I don't particularly enjoy despite being probably more realistic. I'm not really a sim racer though, and from your steering wheel, I'm gonna guess you are.

I cant really talk you out of VR though. That poo poo looks awesome. I'm concerned that ill get motion sick though.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Yeah, the A110 is probably my favorite car in the game. Its a bit of a shame that its so overpowered compared to the two other 60's cars though.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
i guess its hardly surprising that they would go back to the regular dirt formula for the next title. I am kinda hoping the will implement some of the things from DR though. I wouldn't particularly mind if there was optional rewinds and driving lines, if the stages are still well designed and the physics doesn't get too stupid. Its probably going to be like Dirt 3 though with 50 meter wide roads and antimatter brakes.

[Edit] Blog post with more details. There will be a "build a rally" tool. http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/01/announcing-dirt-4/

Humbug fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 26, 2017

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Considering they called it Dirt 4, it seems they consider DR to be something separate, which gives me a bit of hope there will be another installment in the "rally" series. This seems to be a far more fleshed out title than DR, so a similar number of locations aren't that indicative to me. DR is incredibly bare bones in a lot of respects, although i think they spent their resources pretty well focusing on cars and stages rather than menus and animations.
A bit more info here. There will be a driving school and more US locations. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/01/26/dirt-4-coming-to-ps4-this-june-4-things-you-need-to-know/

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I use the wheel buttons, but then i only use 200 degrees of wheel travel, so its never hard to locate.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
New roadbook is up, talking briefly about the two driving modes. I belive they said earlier that the gamer mode would have the same physics, but have "advanced assists". Now the physics will apparently be different. Not like i care much how gamer mode will feel, but I guess two separate online leaderboards will be necessary then.
http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/05/dirt-4-road-book-050517/

Also, someone on Reddit figured out the car list from posted community video although its not necessarily final.

Reddit user Trololol72 posted:

Since DiRT Rally:
Removed cars:
Audi Sport quattro S1 Pikes Peak
Austin Mini Rallycross
Citroën C4 WRC
Ford Fiesta RS WRC
Hyundai i20 WRC
MINI JCW WRC
Peugeot 205 T16 Pikes Peak
Peugeot 207 S1600
Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak
Peugeot 405 T16 Pikes Peak
Subaru Impreza WRX STi GV Rallycross
Subaru Impreza WRC GH
Volkswagen Polo R WRC
New cars:
Ford Fiesta R2
Ford Fiesta R5
Ford Focus RS RX
Ford RS200 Rallycross
Hyundai i20 R5 (Pre-order only)
Lancia Delta S4 Rallycross
MG Metro 6R4 Rallycross
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI
Mitsubishi R5
OMSE Supercar Lite
Opel Adam R2
Opel Ascona 400
Peugeot 205 GTI
Peugeot 205 T16 Rallycross
Peugeot 208 T16 R5
Subaru WRX STi NR4
Volkswagen Polo S1600

Notice that the newest WRC car will be the 2007 Focus. The R5s are used in WRC2 but even those aren't this years model. I dont mind since i never really liked the modern cars, but I see that a lot of people did. Hopefully they can figure something out for licencing.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Nice. Maybe some new players will get in on it before dirt 4 hits. The online challenges are pretty dead by now. I finally got a top 5 daily finish, which was weird to me since i hadn't played in a while, only to see there where only about 350 finishers.

In Dirt 4 news. here's a video of some Dutch guys playing the not yet seen Spanish and Swedish rallies. Sweden looks promising to me. The road is perhaps a bit wider than in DR, but the snowbanks are still deadly, even on gamer mode. Spain somehow looks a bit clinical. Pacenotes seem ok if fairly simplistic.

http://www.gamekings.tv/videos/lets-play-dirt-4/

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Yeah, he apparently got his pre order physical copy early. Definitely looks promising.

Speaking of, its only a little over a week until release, and this thread is pretty much all Dirt 4 anyway. Should I or someone else get to work on a new thread perhaps?

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Krataar posted:

How should I progress in this game? I have enough money to buy more cars, but I am barely managing 4th place consistently with the mini.

However you like really. The AI is crushingly hard for beginners to win, and i didn't win a rally until i was expert or master. The same two motherfuckers would finish 1-2 in all the rallies and championships all the way to masters. I did 60's->70's->80's->Group A. It seems to me that the AI is maybe based on the community times for each class, as they seem to be much harder in car classes that are easier to control. I still struggle to beat all the master AI drivers in the relatively easy to control 2010 class, whereas I routinely beat them by a full minute in the harder Group B RWD class. Doing a "difficult" car class might not be as hard as you think.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Most negative points I have seen thus far has been about the arcade mode not being arcadey enough; landrush and rallycross not having enough content and that the game has a "too serious" tone compared to Dirt 2 or Forza Horizon 3. None of that bothers me much, and i vastly prefer a serous tone to Horizion 3s social media schtick.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 6, 2017

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
drat this game is great. I'm one of those people who liked tarmac in DR, but this is much better. I wish they would implement the car dependent H-gate or sequential though. Feels silly driving an R5 with a stick and clutch when I forget to change settings.

That daily felt like a bit of a statement to show that they aren't going soft after DR. Managed to get into T1 with a 6.23.775 while driving like a grandma and spinning at least 5 times.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
The owners club daily in the E30 is absolutely lovely. Fast and flowing. RWD feels great. The car should easily pay for itself if you do decent too. I need to unlock historic rallies now.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
It seems like you need to win 15 events to unlock career historic rallies.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
A pretty sizable patch just dropped on Steam. No patch notes that I can see.

Also, don't look at the Steam review page. drat that's some salty dudes .

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Sim enthusiasts being difficult and vocal? Why i'd never.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Does anyone else get the impression Nicky Grist had a plane to catch when he did the voice acting? He keeps repeating the same three lines. Ill try the American for a while and see if she is any better.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Its what he says before and after stages I notice. The pace calls are by and large surprisingly good. A few "into" late calls have messed me up, but no worse than in DR.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

The 037 is still great. Wish this was Sweden or Spain and i might have done better.

There are only about 50 finishers though, so looks better than it is.Looks like the salty babies are true to their word of not playing at least.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I managed to slide my way to a 9.53 on the daily. I still struggle with Wales in Dirt 4, but the fact that no one has memorized stages helps keep the poor condition dailys fun for me. It was demoralizing in DR when the top guys would do the same time at night as in day.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

quaunaut posted:

What's your approach to times like this? I couldn't see barely 10 feet in front of me with the rain, were you going off of just knowledge of how the corners tend to be on Wales corresponding with the numbered turns?

I try to establish a gear for each corner call out at shakedown. The daily isn't the best example since the E30 has stupid stock gearing. Open hairpin to 2s was 3d gear at various rpms. 3s was 3d or 4th gear depending on visibility and 4s and up was in 4th. Deduct one gear for over crest. Once you find a decent setup like that, stick to it rigorously. A bit of lost mid corner speed doesn't actually cost that much time.

Also try to have the car squared up at the call for the next corner, even if that means you loose a bit of exit speed. Sliding and processing calls at the same time is hard.

Other than that, just practice. My memory is terrible so I relied heavily on notes in DR even if I had driven the stages a lot of times.

[Edit] I try to emulate Porkhammers smooth style, and I picked up some speed after watching him drive in DR. Might work for you too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss1sowqFRHU

Humbug fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 11, 2017

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Stratos in Spain is just heavenly. So flowing and fun.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Terminally Bored posted:

Is it too late to ask about DR? Got it in a recent bundle. Played it for 50 hours, probably the best racing game I've ever tried. Two things bug me though:
- why is the Alpine in the 60s class? It's faster than even all of the 70s I think
- why the gently caress is Sweden in the game? Every other event has something going for it, some fun characteristic or surface change but here it's just staring at a narrow road with two giant snow piles at both sides. 3s and 4s ad nauseam, no fun hairpins, it's about as fun as driving on the snow in real life (which is goddamn miserable).

1: Yeah its dumb. Its been bumped to the 70's class in Dirt4. Still one of my favorite cars for a joyride though.
2: Each to their own. Sweden is one of my favorites, especially in a high power/twitchy car. Blasting through that 5 left right section on that massive straight fully sideways at 150+ kph is one of the best things in DR to me.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

njsykora posted:

Dirt 4 doesn't have the historics split by year, instead it's by speed class. So I think the Alpine is in the H3 RWD class with the Stratos.

The Alpine is in the H2 RWD class along with all the 70's cars from DR, except the Stratos which was bumped to H3 RWD class with the E30 and Sierra Cosworth etc.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

L_Harrison posted:

Xbox version confirmed to be full of scrubs.

Nice one. I thought the leaderboards was supposed to be cross platform on Dirt 4 but i guess not. Are there many players using sim handling on xbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
The 5 left right left triple combo in Spain springs to mind. Fast but also kinda tricky. I also like the 2 into 1 taken as a double apex single turn, also in Spain.

• Locked thread