Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Can't believe I've only just started playing this. Not a single surfer bro or gymkhana in sight...

I'm about three events in and I haven't driven anything but Lancias. And I can see why they stopped group B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

dsriggs posted:

Did that and it worked. Weird

It could be the same problem Arma has with shadows where too-low settings push it onto the CPU.

E: I'm guessing Modern Masters hasn't always been listed as coming out in November? Is it being delayed a few days?

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Qmass posted:

It says this is 85th in the world but it cant possibly be, beat my time goons:

Didn't do the friend times thing, because I'm an idiot. I suspect the rank is because no one bothers doing long stages in Finland in the 60s cars. At least the Fulvia doesn't sound quite as annoying as the Mini at max revs.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

If we're putting time challenges up, my dad used to be an amateur rally driver, so I tried best to recreate what of his career was possible in this game:

Needless to say he drove the much friendlier 205 GTi, not a T16. I also tried to find a video or something, but this took place in roughly 2003, so all I found were these photos, the first of which is from Sweet Lamb:

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Anyone else finding the 2000's Impreza really slow or something? I'm losing out against the AI by ~2 seconds a split.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Did some times on Bidno Moorland and Kreuzungsring Reverse in the Impreza and Focus, and ended up with less than 2 seconds difference, but at the same time the Impreza felt much faster than when I first drove it, so maybe custom events do something to the cars? Or maybe the AI is just brutal in that class.

Also, using the handbrake in group B is cheating :colbert:

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

bUm posted:

* On a related note: anyone else looking forward to the manual wiper/lights controls so they can turn off the lights on Monaco snowing stages (both night and day) because it's actually easier to see through the snow when you break your lights? :argh: Mandatory high beams in snow.

Do the wipers actually do anything outside of rainy stages and the pits in Wales? I've noticed my windscreen getting muddy occasionally, but I'm usually too busy looking at the road to notice any difference after the wipers give a quick swipe.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

If I'm thinking of the right cars, the biggest difference will be going from front wheel drive to rear. I find the biggest problem is that you can't just jam the throttle to pull you through corners, because in a RWD car you'll just oversteer and end up facing backwards.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Who is Simmoniti? I don't think I've seen anyone post here under that name and they keep winning the league events.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

njsykora posted:

Oh yeah I forgot you have to set the service area manually for the first stage as well. Pretty dumb bit of website design, though the season setup stuff is a tire fire as a whole.

Oh, and this is apparently a thing? Spotted on an Amazon listing and 2015 VW Polo confirmed if it's legit. Release date listed as December 8th. Someone asked Paul Coleman about it on Twitter and he didn't exactly deny it.

Getting more Polos, and new 2010 car(s), it really is Christmas. Unless that's supposed to be the rallycross one...

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Shine posted:

Addendum: my G27 just arrived, so now every course is my problem course.
Yeah, just got my G29 today, and holy gently caress I'm doing terrible (Still better than the delta time :smug:). Anyone got any tips on force-feedback settings?

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

jammyozzy posted:

Wait, did I get kicked from the league too? I can still see it in the league menu but can't enter the event, my only option is to view the current standings. :confused:

Huh, I've got the same problem...

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Today's wager event might be even crueller that when it was the Stratos in Greece. Heavily snowing Swedish stage in the 037

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Nothing here, sorry.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

I got a wheel last Friday, but until that I was playing on a pad with no assists, and you are definitely not gimping yourself. Buy the game.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Renounced posted:

I use a pad with the settings you're referring to, though I haven't had a good reason to clutch kick yet. The only thing to keep in mind is that once you move passed the 1970s starter car you need to up your steering sensitivity and lower the steering linearity, or else your in-game driverman won't be responsive enough to your input and you'll crash a ton more than you should. I spent hours struggling against the car thinking the setup was bad when it was really this.

I've never had that problem with a pad. Does this mean the speed that the wheels turn at is based on the steering sensitivity?

Edmond Dantes posted:

B... b... but I have no clue about cars. I've been driving a motorcycle all my adult life. 4 wheels confound me.

I wouldn't worry about it, I've been playing this game longer than I've been driving anything.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

...at least it's not the Stratos. Top tip for driving RWD cars is not to slam down the throttle in the corners, basically drive them like the rear wheels are trying to overtake the front ones.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Renounced posted:

Are there any clear winners when it comes to Group A cars like the 205 T16 in Group B? I'm ready to step out of Group B for a bit as the white knuckle pace is really exhausting.

Delta 4 lyfe.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Haha, 5:17 holy poo poo.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

tehsid posted:

Never not post.

I just reinstalled, but can't get my wheel rotation settings to feel right on my g27. 900 feels awful and doesn't sync up with the ingame wheel/hands, and it completely throws me off. Any suggestions?

I go for 220, and I've seen people saying that's what Codemasters' testers use.

EDIT: Also, technically my IRL Polo is twincharged :smug:

Praseodymi fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 4, 2016

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

T1g4h posted:

Since you guys love the Alpine A110, have a thing:

You reminded me of this video: a posh git who owns a Stratos, 037, and M1 but can barely change gears.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwwHULWCmkI

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

No praise for the Renault 5 turbo 2? It absolutely flies through the Swedish stages.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Wanderer89 posted:

Great battle back and forth, but clearly someone sucks at ice/snow worse than me, otherwise would've had me!

Guilty as charged :smith:

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Wanderer89 posted:

Great battle back and forth, but clearly someone sucks at ice/snow worse than me, otherwise would've had me!

You'd better do this league, I was a bit more cautious this time and didn't manage to gently caress up everything with snow on it (just gravel this time instead).

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Thief posted:

I dunno if you guys do this on purpose but one of the reasons I love goon league so much is that people just drive whatever car is fun at the time and right now every person in the race is using a different vehicle :allears:

It's a shame the different groups aren't that competitive against each other. I had the #1 time in the '95 Impreza at one point, until people started setting better times in Group B. I don't know what classes are evenly matched. Maybe the Kit cars and 2000s, but probably only on tarmac, as 4WD will probably dominate on loose surfaces.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Wanderer89 posted:

So ice/snow are your's this round, but Finland's rollercoasters must've not stayed on the rails so well :P

Yeah, smashed a telegraph pole and lost the front right tyre at the first split, and had to limp the rest of the way round.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Nah, I think you're spot on. Even with the assists turned off the newer the car the more controllable they should be at high speed, as they're (almost) purpose built rallying machines.

Of course, it might be placebo in the game, but it certainly feels like the case.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Qmass posted:

Since the league is for hipsters, you gotta beat me on the best rally (wales) in the best car (2010 fiesta)

5:57.102

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2kDxWdWBkg

EDIT: Also, the Polo is the best car.

Praseodymi fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Am I imagining things or were the other drivers actually simulated in Dirt 3? I'd like to see that again, it was pretty cool to catch up to the car in front, or actually drive past them stuck in a ditch instead of just learning about it in the times at the end of the stage.

• Locked thread