Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Wheee new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Future mafia mods. I will join your game, whatever it is, if you promise to make me BP. :)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

TMMadman posted:

Poor KB, I've been looking at a few games since I joined the SWOLFIA game and you just keep getting murdered before D3 begins.

hehe, yeah. N1, N1, and N2 for last three games. I'm not THAT good, c'mon. :smuggo:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

EccoRaven posted:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

hey derp ur gonna die

and samfucius!

and... *checks map*

opopanax! king of bleh! windshipper! alasdair!

...and me???!!?!

This article is pretty scary. Maybe I don't want to move to the Pacific NW after all.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

flatluigi posted:

*makes new thread* god why do you have so few posts in it!!

I better respond to this post to up my post count or I won't be taken serioiusly.

There. 5.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Oh poo poo, I spelled seriously wrong. Better correct that in a new post. :)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Tremendous Taste posted:

KB you should lurk until you have a chance to throw a freebie slam on a safe target

:iceburn:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Asiina posted:

I'm watching The Wind Rises which I'm feeling kinda gross about in how biased its perspective is.

I really liked that movie. I guess I understand why you feel that way, but I think it presented an interesting perspective.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Asiina posted:

I don't even know who is on what side of this nonsense.

Let's all just stop and buzzfeed it up.

Quote this post and I will tell you which picture of my cats represents you.

In.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm in my last weekish of the old job and they didn't give me any work to do for this final sprint so I'm reading Ernest Cline's new book at work today.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Kumbamontu posted:

what kind of programming do you do (at least i'm assuming you're a programmer using AGILE given your use of the word sprint)

I'm a database developer. T-sql and anything to do with Data Warehouses or the Microsoft BI stack are my thing(SSRS/SSAS/SSIS).

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Lawrence of Arabia - came back into theaters during my lifetime.
My Neighbor Totoro
Pulp Fiction
Run Lola Run
The City of Lost Children

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Asiina posted:

It's a Wonderful Life
Charlie Wilson's War
Across the Universe
Lord of the Rings trilogy (I watch it as one big movie)
Contagion

There are others, but I chose movies that I will watch over and over again and not get tired of. Not whatever bullshit objectivist metric you guys are talking about, but the one I'm using.

If we go purely by which movies I will watch over and over only two of my previous choices stay the same:
Lawrence of Arabia
My Neighbor Totoro
The Fifth Element
Guardians of the Galaxy
Back to the Future

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Everybody name the last movie to make you cry

Ant-Man. But I cry at everything.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

Ugh...

Radiohead - OK Computer
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Tool - Lateralus
Coldplay - Parachutes
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

Runners up:
Neil Young - Harvest
CSNY - Deja Vu

Your list comes the closest to my tastes.

Radiohead - Ok Computer
Depeche Mode - Violator
The Smiths - Louder Than Bombs
Bjork - Post
Faith No More - Angel Dust

Runners up:
Pink Floyd - The Wall
David Bowie - Hours...
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
The Postal Service - Give Up

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Tremendous Taste posted:

Quote this post and I will tell you what animated film you are

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

JakeP posted:

I don't get insomnia but there is so many fun things I would rather be doing at night instead of sleeping and I end up staying up later than I should and being tired in the morning

Exactly this. Never enough time to do everything I want.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

Pretty much this.

Also scum should kill lurkers and be cool people, IMO.

This is my scum tell.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

This is like a crazy version of movie telephone.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

uranus posted:

hello i skipped 400 posts, any new games open?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Almost my entire life revolves around nerdy things. Reading, Gaming(P&P, Board, Video), Movies, etc. Even work-stuff, SQL databases are pretty nerdy. I also help run the local user group for it, organize yearly conferences, speak, etc.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Asiina posted:

Guys I am the lowest weight now that I can actually remember. I think I weigh the same now as I did maybe in high school?

I think in 1-2 months I'll hit the 100 lbs lost landmark.

Today is a good day.

Yay! :)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

I generally like role madness games and I find piecing together the puzzle of roles and how roles interact to be very fun.

So that's my hot take on the matter.

This is where I"m at. In person, in real life, I'd be more down for "pure" games. But in text, where people can just hide and not post? Not fun for me. I need the puzzle of tons of roles to make the game fun.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

TMMadman posted:

Name your favorite late 80s/early 90s rap song.

Mine is 'Humpty Dance' by Digital Underground. When I was in high school it was the only song I could remember the lyrics to without the music playing.

This is still a favorite of mine to do at karaoke.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

EccoRaven posted:

quote this post telling me your favorite Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream flavor and I will tell you which song you are from the Smashing Pumpkins' 1995 magnum opus Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

Cherry Garcia Froyo!! I have a story if you wanna hea--

Muzzle.

Stephen Colbert's Americone Dream

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Lumpen posted:

The only "a" person I've even met was my 6 year old stepdaughter.

I've been a loving know-it-all pedant since I was a wee tyke and I sure as gently caress would have been correcting people left and right for saying "steen" if it had been "stain". I said "steen", the books on tape and cartoon said "steen", my parents said "steen". It was written "stein".

I absolutely read "The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree" to my daughter last year and thought idly "Huh, weird, I wonder why the spelling was changed since I was a kid", even before I saw the alternate reality theory thing (last December).

It is seriously weird.

I feel like I'm being punk'd.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

And thus began the downfall of SA Mafia.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Save us MMM!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

The only thing I'm going to change is that to vote you have to go ##wolf

##wolfY MMM

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

EccoRaven posted:

mmm code in an option (opt-in) for "must unvote before revoting."

ALSO my roommate and I watched Mystery Men tonight while eating the Best Pizza in the City. It was very fun. Yesterday we made cinnamon rolls, too, so food-wise this weekend has been very satisfying.

I'm always so curious about what your games might be like, but I never join because I don't understand why you mandate me typing extra characters needlessly in your game.

Consider this your chance to convert me.

Why do you do this?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

EccoRaven posted:

I (and most of mafia pre-votefinder) did doublevoters by having them just revote their new player without unvoting, since we as a community all unvoted before revoting with our single votes (it just wasn't done).

With votefinder people vote willy-nilly, but doublevoters don't get their second vote recorded by the bot itself, so they can only use their power if the mod intercedes (like if the vote must be PM'd to the mod, which is super clunky for everyone involved, especially if the votecount is constantly changing because it's near the end of the game day). If we want the player to be able to use their vote freely and immediately without what is essentially mod bureaucracy tying their hands, then they need to mask their power by constantly unvoting before revoting (since if they just voted like everyone else on day 1 they'd wind up revealing their second vote almost immediately). But if they are the only players in a game that do this, then that's essentially the same as roleclaiming that they have a double vote.

And so in my games I mandate unvotes before revotes.

I also think there's a responsibility issue, where if someone doesn't unvote before revoting it implies their vote is made whimsically, maybe even recklessly, without care for who they may currently be voting for, or where their vote ultimately lies. But the main reason is the doublevoting thing, especially since I love playing around with how votes work and votefinder allows no leeway for it.

That's super interesting actually. But doesn't that mean that in your games double voters are revealed immediately to anyone paying attention? Or am I misunderstanding how they work mechanically in your games?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Epsilon Plus posted:

Votefinder having baked-in support for some new functions would be cool (double votes, thunderdomes, vote restrictions, etc.)

And yes, agreed with all of this regardless.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Tremendous Taste posted:

Tonight I had a date at a café that's connected to a bookstore. My date ended up being a little late so I told her I was going to walk around the bookstore for a while. She then sent me a message saying "here." Assuming that she meant in the bookstore, I looked at the only other person currently browsing. She's pretty cute, and she has an endearing Fashion of accidentally dropping every book she pulls out. Not only do I send a message back joking about that, but I've been approach this girl and start talking with her. She's pretty receptive but less so than you'd imagine for someone aware that she is on a date. I am then mortified by the arrival of her friends that she is out with that night.

Because I am mortified I extricate myself without really explaining it. If you can picture it, I just sort of shrink into the background. I return to the café and meet the girl who I'm actually supposed to be on a date with. We sit outside and who should next walk by but that very girl with her friends, all looking at me. Clearly on a date.

Yeah, these moments make for great stories that you get to tell forever.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

TMMadman posted:

I have technically met a Mafia goon, although he doesn't really play Mafia here anymore. But I did get to sit in the sunny Wrigley Field bleachers with Poque. He is a great guy.

I guess I'd meet other Mafia goons if the chance presented itself, but I don't know if I'd go out of my way to do it. Plus, I think I'm like 10 years older than most people here except FV.

I'm 41.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Rarity posted:

I consider myself a hamburger connoisseur and there are a number of great options. Cheese is vital, of course. Not too thick, though, the slice of cheese must be thin enough to melt to a gloop (this is important for mouthfeel). Crispy lettuce will always be required to give your burger the requisite level of crunch. At this point you have options and can go in a number of directions. One of my favourites is to add bacon and BBQ sauce for a real smokehouse burger, if you're really feeling dangerous you could even add an onion ring or two! Another choice which I'm drawn to is to add a hash brown, though this is purely because hash browns are the food of the Gods, hoarded in Olympus until Prometheus risked Zeus's wrath to steal them for humanity. Lastly I have not yet mentioned the burger itself. The burger is the key ingredient in your burger and there are so many great choices available. Don't feel restricted to the traditional ham or beef! Why not try lamb? Why not try buffalo? Why not try yak? An intriguing burger meat is the best way to make your burger special.

Yes.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yay, Secret Santa!

Hmmm, if you get me, no living things/bugs please. :) Anything handcrafted is cool. Things that I wouldn't think to get for myself are cool. Know that if it's media, I pretty much don't do physical books/music/games anymore, it's all digital. With the exception of board/card games and a few good graphic novels. If you need/want more guidance feel free to have someone prod me.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Asiina posted:

I'm going to try to knit DS9 from DS9 for another secret santa I am in. I can't find anyone who has even attempted it before so I am very excited to try something completely new. It will be difficult I think, but I'll give it a try!

I absolutely have to see the picture of this when you are done. So cool.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

EccoRaven posted:

trollolol.

all PMs are out except Magnus Doofus who banned himself and has a new account whose name I cannot remember right now but will when I scour my posts

You totally forgot me. :) But it's cool, ignore the new address I sent you. Things are crazy hectic for the next month while we prep the new house for moving into and move into it and sell the old one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Rarity posted:

Asii, once you get to interviews (which you totally will), take the time to prep for them as well. I know you'll get a kickass job.

And sucks about the money sitch :smith:

This makes such a big difference and it is amazing how many people don't do this.

busb posted:

Thus is possibly the worst résumé advice I've seen. You should be tailoring and focussing your résumé and your cover letter for every job, because you want to make it sounds like you aren't just form lettering them.

It shows effort that you researched their company and care enough to want the job.

Also this.