Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:neckbeard:

FFIX is my favourite game of all time. The characters are so strong, the world is vibrant, the music is gorgeous and it's got just the right level of challenge.

I'm can't wait for you to show everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This is a perfect example of why I love this game. It's such a tiny detail, there's no need to have added it but Square put it in there (as well as the preceding cut-scene) just to add an emotive punch to the accepted as standard practice of looting NPCs of everything.

I still take the 9 gil every time I play :smith:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There are two many great things in this update to comment on all of them :argh:

The opening continues to be delightful, Vamo Alla Flamenco is one of the best tracks of any game and that swordfight is ace (I loved it so much I'd keep playing sometimes even if I got 100 nobles early), Steiner is hilariously crusty, Brahne is some fantastic character design and Zorn/Thorn make for great batshit side characters.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember there being at least one other Silk Shirt before Vivi becomes equip-able.

I think you can steal one during the last Steiner fight

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I love that the Tantalus crew are so into their salute they even do it on stage in front of all the Alexandrian nobility :3:

And nobody notices

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Blank! :cry:

The game makes such a good effort at making that moment meaningful. In just a few scenes the writers really managed to highlight how close Zidane was to Blank in particular. He also acted as the player's guide both in gameplay tips and directing the player to their next plot point so taking that away adds to the impact. It really marks the moment where the start finishes and we move into the game proper.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Guys, let's just pretend this page never happened.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
At least Zidane's Trance meter actually moves fast. There were some characters in the game who's literally never peaked for me.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Dagger is a good name that represents her character much better than Garnet :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Keldulas posted:

This whole beginning part is really charming in several ways. It's a nice read, and yet we see just enough to know that something is very wrong. It's great.

Yeah, there's a certain undercurrent to Dali that I found really intriguing. Between all the kids, the ghost chocobo, the creepy innkeeper and the passive aggressive mayor it seems like there's something else hiding behind the peaceful idyll

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pureauthor posted:

How does Steiner reconcile the idea that he should be returning the Princess to the castle when she herself obviously doesn't want to go back?

"She's just a naive girl, she's fallen for that thief's charms, she doesn't know what she wants or what's best for her"

That kinda thing

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Man, poor Vivi.

All he wanted to do was check out a play.

:(

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh Zidane, I know I shouldn't be approving of this but I just can't help it :3:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VagueRant posted:

You're in control on the ladder, right?

That's all cut scene

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bad Seafood posted:

Zidane's always in control, baby.

He can't even control Lil' Zidane!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This sequence is one of the strongest parts of the game. What always gets me are the other black mages. They never speak, you've only just learned of them but in the space of 3 scenes they go from mysterious plot devices to conscious beings that you feel emotional about when Black Waltz 3 massacres them :( It's heart wrenching and this whole sequence was what kicked this game into the top tier of my favourites.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Right? And its not even the end of a disk!

I just realised so many awesome things have happened already and we're only about 15% through the game

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MarquiseMindfang posted:

It's all a matter of what you prefer, but Gil is plentiful plus 5k is a lovely amount, and who cares about Cards, but the Coral Ring you get if you let Freya win can't be gotten until Treno.

Real players know the true reward is the date with Dagger

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That final ATE is ace for a couple of reasons. Firstly, when playing the game I figured Tantalus were just there to show Zidane's past and I wasn't expecting them to appear again after Blank got petrified so it was great to see the game wasn't done with them. Second, their theme is one of the best tracks on the soundtrack.

:swoon: LOWELL!!! :swoon:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kemix posted:

You gonna show off all the scenes Of when Freya/Zidane/Vivi wins and when nobody of the party wins? Or just gonna go with the one scene of who you want to win?

It's impossible for nobody in your party to win. If Zidane dies then Freya wins, if they both lose to the Zaghnol then Vivi wins. There's no way to stop Vivi from scoring his points

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Schwartzcough posted:

FFIX has a much better love story than VIII or X, despite those games being much more focused on it. Fact.

Absolutely true. VIII is too focused on making Squall/Rinoa an epic romance and it ends up like a Twilight movie (and it prevents any other character getting proper development). As for Tidus/Yuna in X I wouldn't say it's as bad but it's just really awkwardly forced at times. Zidane and Dagger go through a natural progression that feels real. Right now Dagger knows that she's into him but she's not ready to trust him because of his flirtatious character so she's testing him to see how serious he is about her and besides, she's got much more important poo poo back home to deal with and she's not gonna drop that for a man.

Man, Dagger's awesome.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Poor Zidane, guy just can't catch a break

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If you arrive at the Business District at a certain time you get to see Vivi being chased by a Fang :3:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kemix posted:

But yea, Dagger/Garnet really is the best princess in final fantasy, she loving DOES something and gets a leg up on Zidane and crew at least a couple times over the course of the game. The love story between her and Zidane is -actually loving believable- unlike a lot of these love-stories that we see these days. And Freya really is a great party member for her utility alone, and once she gets her first spear upgrade, is a...kinda-sorta-not-really a healer.

Yeah, Dagger is great cause the game actually gives her agency in solving her problems. Unlike the likes of Yuna, Rinoa and Aerith she's not being told what to do or along for the ride on the main character's ride, she makes decisions and follows through on them.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

remembering Dr. Tot

Who?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Everything about Chocobo Hot and Cold is perfect. The essential simplicity, the additional features of progression, the awesome rewards, the fun of hunting down the chocograph treasures, Vamo alla Flamenco, best minigame in any game I've played hands down.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bad Seafood posted:

I'd hesitate to call the pixel hunting perfect.

I've lost count of how many times I've run the clock down trying to get a Kwehhh!? to turn into that elusive K-KWEHH!!! for a full 30 seconds.

If you just jiggle the analogue stick while mashing square once you find a Kwehhhh? then you'll get it in five seconds max :ssh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

EponymousMrYar posted:

Fixed that for ya. Tried it, didn't work. The Chocobo takes hugemongus steps.

Then you're doing it wrong :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Man, Burmecia is just bleak. In a game that always nails atmosphere, Burmecia does a great job of showing desolation and despair through the design and the haunting music. It all really helps emphasise Freya's emotional struggle.

Also the first time I played, Freya triggered her first Trance during the first battle in the area and I was like 'woahhhh' and it took me a bunch of playthroughs it wasn't an automatic Trance spot cause it really should have been.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The end of this disc is superb. It does such a great job of taking our heroes to their lowest lows. Freya's home has been destroyed, Vivi's still torn up about the black mages being used for war, Zidane and Dagger are as far apart as they've ever been, Dagger has no idea how evil her mum has got, there's a new super evil guy on the scene and the team just had their poo poo wrecked by the best soldier in the world who by the way is still around to kick their rear end if they get back up again. No other RPG (or video game in general) has ever managed to capture the sense of hopelessness seen here.

Also Mystery Sword is epically good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm 30 but have the emotional maturity of 20 :v:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sorry what is this game? Some kind of MOBA?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mega64 posted:

It's a puzzle game with dating sim elements, much like Star Fox.

How do I make Zidane go out with Quina?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

There's a cool secret in Chocobo Hot and Cold. If you go south past Choco when you're not riding him between games there's a whole other quest to do and a world to explore.

Come on remember, this already happened. It's not like this LP took a year break or anything :cmon:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bufuman posted:

Don't listen to Fabool's lies!

We have always been at war with Alexandria

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
#MageLivesMatter

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ApplesandOranges posted:

Lindblum and Alexandria aren't even on the north side of the continent, so planning a voyage would mean going around the Mist Continent, stretching the journey even longer.

Gaia is a torus :eng101:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mega64 posted:

Huh? Did you just say Pointy-Hats!?
Nay, Ah said Pyntie-Hets!

Conde Petie is just delightful

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I feel like Morrison is a case of wasted potential. They could have done more with him as a character but he enters the story too late to get enough moments to shine. They should have found ways to intertwine him more with what's been going on so far even if his face turn stays as late as it is

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I swear every moment of this game is just so loving good. There are so many dungeons, towns and sequences that stand out as memorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Artemicion, a sobering tale of why mailmen should avoid drugs.

• Locked thread