Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Vivi is the best character and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. :colbert:

I mean this game is chock full of some great characters (Zidane included) but Vivi has such an amazing story that he wins top spot in my heart always.

It's weird but I'm also really glad this game didn't have voice acting; it would just be odd, and some characters which were tolerable in the game would become annoying if fully voiced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'm doing it again fyi. Or at least trying.

If Mega64 is okay with me posting about a dumb challenge run in one of his FF threads again, anyway.

I love sperging about mechanics so I'll probably chime in from time to time as well, though I can't be bothered to make a run. :v:

Anyway, the Moonstone is considered a missable, since there are only so many Moonstones you can get during the game.

That said, I always got the Silk Shirt (which is the next best reward), because early armour plus it lets Vivi get a headstart on learning Thunder.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

MartianAgitator posted:

Well, both Steiner and Falstaff are fat and carry swords. Other than that, they are basically opposites. Falstaff is the life of the party, a friend to everyone but the king, and constantly makes sex jokes. Steiner is a stick in the mud, button-down wet blanket in a sexless, bloodless JPRG.

I mean, Steiner has about as much in common with Falstaff as he does with Barney. They are both big dudes with simple personalities in a kid's entertainment medium. But Barney exists in a universe of bright, solid colors where Steiner lives in the most baroquely cluttered JRPG world ever.

I'm not sure if Steiner is supposed to be considered fat; I always had a feeling that, bumbling attitude aside, his physical state is meant to be broad rather than fat, just hidden by the armour.

Steiner just sticks out to me because of his large eyebrows and the lack of armour on that certain portion of his legs. Plus that we have no idea what his hair is like underneath that hat. He might even be bald.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

morallyobjected posted:

Steiner always in the main party whenever possible is the right way to play

Correction:

Steiner and Vivi always in the main party whenever possible is the right way to play

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

FFIX is a game that is vastly wrecked by only allowing 4 party members into your team at any time. Unlike FF7 and 8, which had a cast that could more or less be hand-picked and raised as you want with only limit breaks and equipment differentiating them, every last party member in FF9 is unique, fills a distinct niche (okay, there's two white mage/summoner hybrids) and several of them are sort of dependent on other party members being around to work to their fullest. There's just not enough spaces in your team for a party that is, for the most part, all unique and interesting and worth using. I think that's the whole reason FFX ended up with its rotating party mechanic, really.

That's a personal preference. I personally like it when characters are unique. And there is very little forcing you to bring a particular character. Even healers aren't that difficult to work around not having.

I mean, you might as well say that FFIV or FFVI is wrecked by only allowing 5 or 4 character-parties because they have such a huge cast.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Trivia: the move that Steiner uses on Blank is Armor Break, a move that he can use later on in the game. Admittedly most people never see it as it's named because it's kinda useless.

It's fitting it being the move he uses here considering the effects.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One thing that people miss sometimes is that entering Trance will clear status effects on the character. However, the Trance effect doesn't provide immunity to status effects. So you could get into the situation of entering Trance right before the enemy throws a status effect on you.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Magic Sword is obviously enough unavailable if Steiner or Vivi are knocked out, but it's also unavailable if Vivi is Silenced. It's actually pretty cool in that it ignores Protect, although very few enemies will cast it.

The Zidane v. Steiner confrontation is kinda funny if you name the latter Rusty.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So yeah, BW#1 and Sealion are a very nasty surprise for this stage of the game. You've been coasting alone, one-shotting any enemy that even looks at you wrong. Then the game removes three of your party members and has you fight solos against a pair of bosses, one of whom will heal and revive the other, and said other boss getting more powerful attacks as it gets weaker. If you didn't take the time to understand Trance, row placement, or actually using items to heal, this becomes a roadblock pretty early.

Compare that to FFVII, where they gave you the hilariously weak Air Buster, or FFVIII, who throws you the bumbling Biggs and Wedge followed by the boring Elvoret fight.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I'm not too sure of this, but I think Sealion doesn't start spamming Blizzara or Tsunami at Yellow and Red respectively, but rather uses those moves as a counter for being dropped to two thirds or one thirds of its health.

This is one of my favorite fights in the game since you really have to be careful at lower levels if you want to get the nice items from Sealion AND not explode when he pulls out his more wicked attacks.

The Mythril Dagger moves Zidane up to your premier damage dealer for the next little bit. 18 base attack power is no joke.

Yeah, most people don't really notice this because they're just having Zidane Steal from everything. By the time you get to the section where you actually want him to physically attack, you have stronger weapons.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sum Mors posted:

If I remember correctly, another reason the fight is further simplified is that if you make the Sea Lion use Tsunami early, the Tsunami damages the Waltz as well as you. Free damage!

That's still kind of a bad idea because that means you're dealing with the Sealion at low health (where it'll bust out Tsunami) and a potentially alive Waltz. It's better to take out the Waltz first before even damaging the Sealion, since its attacks are the weakest when it's healthy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Captain Bravo posted:

A JRPG where the world religion isn't the root of all evil? Blasphemy!

:v:

Isn't the whole religion being the root of all evil thing only really relevant from FFX-onwards? FF2, FF6 and FF7 made some allusions to it (like the Cult of Kefka) but they never had the stranglehold on the game's society like Yevon or the Occuria or the Fal'cie.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like to imagine if you rename her Garnet she just pronounces it with a different accent or emphasis, like instead of Gar-nuht she goes Gar-neh or something.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
All this time playing the game and I never knew you could peek into your room at Dali.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

As a reminder, Steiner is 33 years old. :allears:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rarity posted:

Man, poor Vivi.

All he wanted to do was check out a play.

:(

Vivi's story is basically a mix of 'man, poor kid' and 'this kid is growing really impressive'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Iretep posted:

:stare:
That's not exactly what I'd call it.

I'd consider it balanced in the sense that it's not overpowered (looking at you Enemy Skill) nor really underpowered (looking at you Ronso Rage). Personally I feel it's a tiny bit underwhelming in some aspects, but it does its job well enough.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
BW#2 is a chump, but in theory it's actually a pretty well-designed fight. A lose condition if you get three allies KO'd, a counter to magic, and an upgrade to -ra level spells midway. Too bad he's a mage and thus really vulnerable to daggers and swords in the face.

He's not the only boss who employs selective targeting in the series - Rude in FF7 will avoid attacking Tifa unless she's the only one left alive, and Vossler/Gabranth in FF12 especially love targeting Basch if he's on the field.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sum Mors posted:

FFVIII actually had the first damage limit breaking attack. Well, two of them. :eng101:(In single damage dealing instances, that is)

Besides Dbl Blk, you can also reflect a multi targetted spell against all 4 of your party members to break the damage cap, iirc.

Well, the first legal damage limit breaking attack, that is.

Oh, are you going to be posting the little individual statements/virtues each character has? They're not mentioned anywhere but the game manual and they're cute little insights into the character.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
9's the only game which has never been touched on in any way. 12 at least had the Japan-only International version.

I actually kind of hope if they re-release it that they won't touch it outside of maybe adjusting the battle speed. IX's charming enough as it is.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The best part is that you can rename Freya as Helga or Ratchel and she doesn't blink an eye afterwards.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There are a few plot-related details about it but Vivi is essentially the youngest in any FF.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 4, 2015

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Schwartzcough posted:

Clearly you're new to JRPGs, where age is inversely proportional to power levels. Beatrix was never more powerful than when she was 12.

Why else do you think Vivi can pack so much power into an adorable package?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bad Seafood posted:

His hair must never be shown.

The most common hairstyle for him that appears in fanart appears to be a square cut to fit his head. At least they agree on the colour since his eyebrows are black.

Here's an example from fanart (cropped because the other half of the picture includes characters we haven't seen yet):

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FinalGamer posted:

A-awwwwwwwwww.

Awwwwwwww noooooo where's that sad vivi emote when you need it, also that's really great fanart, do you know who did that Apples?

My google-fu's sadly failed me this time. I'll post the full image once we've seen all our playable characters, at least.

As for Steiner, my best fit in terms of voice in my head would be Patrick Seitz. Just someone loud and boisterous, but ultimately good-hearted. And Seitz has voiced BlazBlue's Bang, so he's got the mannerisms down at least.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rarity posted:

Absolutely true. VIII is too focused on making Squall/Rinoa an epic romance and it ends up like a Twilight movie (and it prevents any other character getting proper development). As for Tidus/Yuna in X I wouldn't say it's as bad but it's just really awkwardly forced at times. Zidane and Dagger go through a natural progression that feels real. Right now Dagger knows that she's into him but she's not ready to trust him because of his flirtatious character so she's testing him to see how serious he is about her and besides, she's got much more important poo poo back home to deal with and she's not gonna drop that for a man.

Man, Dagger's awesome.

Pretty much this. Of all the romances in FF, Dagger's the only one that, to me, feels like she's actually feeling her romance out. I'll say more maybe around mid-Disc 3 but she has really one of the best development arcs across the games. She's really only beaten in this game by Vivi.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Personally Zidane is just on Steal duty until either the boss dies, he's looted of everything they own, or if the only thing left is insanely rare. So it's a nice bonus if I get something good, but I'm not going to break my back over it.

There are a few exceptions where I'm willing to hold out for Zidane to try to get a good item from a boss (like Holy Lance or the Light Robe, but there's honestly nothing completely missable from stealing. At best you're getting something about a disc earlier.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's weird because while Lindblum is by virtue bigger, I've always felt that Alexandria dwarfs it practically. It might be because of perspective; Alexandaria's main plaza is seen in a top-down view, while Lindblum's is a left-to-right view that you're just dashing through to get to the shopping section. Alexandria Castle also feels bigger than Lindblum's, which might contribute to it as well.

That said, thinking of the South Gate cinematic does remind me that, yes, Lindblum is absolutely massive.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sum Mors posted:

Only system that makes me angry enough to not play through the game again is FF8. Why attach stats to drawn magic? It makes me want to never, ever use magic because my stats will then go down and I'll have to re-draw it all over again. Rest of it I can either ignore or grind at my leisure.

That's why you Slots/Angel Wing! All the magic, all the RNG.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Agreeing that Hunter's Chance is a fantastic track and Steiner being a secret sports fan is pretty rad.

Also the points aren't semi-random, each individual creature you face has a predetermined set value. That first Fang always gives 10 points, for instance.

You also get a differing letter from one of the Moogles later on depending on who wins.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kemix posted:

Or shows things that you'll never get to utilize outside of cutscenes (aka: In a battle). That always annoys me. Like FF12's license board (Which was just stupid in general) and FF13 (Barring character specific abilities, though I will admit you get characters who learn different things despite being able to be any class in the game)

The only cool moment in FF13 was when Snow busted out Diamond Dust in a cutscene.

The ice ramps then remain on the field for the remainder of the chapter, it's pretty neat.

Also agreed on preferring FFs with more rigid job roles. It's part of why I never really stuck onto FF7.

Speedball posted:

Yeah, and I think Vivi joins you if you save him liike that.

No, that would make it possible for all three to lose against the Zaghnol. Vivi's entry is basically a failsafe in case you die against the Zaghnol.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The annoying thing about Freya is that she starts in the back row when she joins your party. Yes Jump might do full damage from the back but if you want her to just swing her spear you want her in the front. And yes, this also applies for when you fight Zaghnol - you have to switch her rows manually during the fight.

And yeah, this is just the first of many of Dagger's awesome moments that establish her as a tier above most other heroines.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gnoman posted:

Meanwhile the entire plot of FFX is driven by Yuna with Tidus little more than a tag-along until late in the game, and XII's entire plot is based around Ashe and her decisions about how and if to reclaim her throne. The only FF female lead from this era that really fits the "no agency" concept is Rinoa.

I'd say it's the inverse - Yuna is mostly doing things for other people (for her father, for Spira, etc.) until near the end of the game, where she decides to shake off just doing what she's told to please people. She tries to do a lot of stuff early on but also backs down pretty easily (leaving her luggage behind because Wakka tells her to, not summoning because Seymour tells her to).

Her big tipping point is probably when she decides to confront Seymour at Macalania on her own, that's when she's not taking no for an answer.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Ooohhh yeah, he's got insect legs, so he probably just pivoted and hanging upside down.

I think he means that Vivi start falling down on his face, but his face (hat?) got caught by the table and he's pretty much slumped against it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The one reason you'd have not to bring Quina along here is if you want more levels, since experience is split among the number of party members you have, and when Quina becomes mandatory he/she'll join at a higher level because of that. However, it means losing out on whatever AP he could have gotten, so it's not very useful.

I should also point out Zidane has a special case with his weapon types. Add Status will only work with his daggers, like the Mage Masher - with thief swords like the Butterfly Sword it will never activate. Similarly, Soul Blade (from his The Ogre weapon) will only work when he's wielding a thief sword, it will always fail if he has daggers equipped.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Did Quark escape Zero III's facility after all? Radical-6 really does a number on your skin.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Vamo'alla Flamenco is one of the five best tracks in the game and I will fight anyone who claims otherwise. :colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Chocobo H&C is a lot like stealing in that it doesn't get you anything that you can't get somewhere else, though a lot of the stuff you get is really really good poo poo several leaps ahead of the game's curve.

The more important thing is that upgrading your chocobo tends to get you to places a fair bit earlier than you would otherwise, too. Nothing sequence breaky, but still worth noting.

That's not quite true, a lot of the later equipment is unique to H&C. A couple of them even teach abilities you more or less can't get anywhere else realistically.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Are we linking FF music covers now? Because I think I will.

8-bit Force Your Way is pretty darn cool. And to stay on topic they also covered this game's Battle theme. Again, watch for spoilers in name titles, though the first one or two in the FFIX tags are safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Uematsu was adorable at the talk, I'll say that much. I love that this is a guy whose work has spawned an international fanbase (the guy hosting said it was pretty much the biggest turn-out for a pre-concert talk he had seen) and he's pretty much taking it all in stride with a sense of amusement like 'Oh a fanmade thing of mine? I didn't even hear about it, good job guys'.

Also the remixes done during the actual concert was amazing (their use of Vivi's theme during the IX portion was phenomenal).

• Locked thread