Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The GIFs really make this the LP FFIX desperately needed. There's incredible animation work that was naturally an evolution of what they did with FF8's models. Though The White Dragon's LP had a lot of cool Hawaiian references as the game was created in Square's Hawaii studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Mega64, would you post some of the lost art of FFIX as we get to some of those backgrounds in-game? There's so much detail lost in the compression to PSX resolution ratios. If you haven't seen it, just put it into Google. I was going to link it, but it contains spoilers.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh how I would kill for a hi-res prerender backgrounds version of FFIX

Here's grandmas house in Alexandria:

Not everything is available, but you can find the original resolutions of a good chunk of backgrounds in the game since it was created by a largely multicultural team with Western artists that still keep their portfolios around. It's the closest you'd get, sadly.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 7, 2015

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Digital Jello posted:

I agree with this, but we have to wait to see Steiner's character a bit more before I delve into reasons why.

The very first time I played that part (read as: back when I was an ignorant kid), I thought Queen Brahne was a monster (aesthetically), I thought Zorn and Thorn came off as more creepy than funny, and I wondered why all of Alexandria's soldiers are scantily-clad chicks with giant helmets and yet Steiner's the only male knight. Also, that was a nice detail on Blank; I'd never seen his artwork before this thread, so I didn't realize he was all stitched up like a doll.

The original designs of his 3D render did actually give him visible eyes, but then they put a belt on him.

Appreciating Steiner I think largely depends on how much you enjoyed Falstaff in Henry IV. There's a distinct influence there.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Needs a screenshot of Garnet's face after the Bomb blows up. It's loving priceless.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 9, 2015

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

As much as I love this game, I really feel like this is one of the weakest moments, especially if you've played through before. After a fun, exciting intro, the plot more or less stalls until you get to the first town.

Also hey Mega, you gonna show off the secret/easter egg/whatever with saving on the map?

The entire Evil Forest sequence is awesome, though.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
A couple of things I really like that have been shown so far: The title text of each new area (which is always different font & design for every place), and the Cave Imp enemy. They programmed a sound effect for when you kill them so that you can hear when they slip and fall on their face when they die. I always liked that. It's just a little thing that they didn't have to do but also nailed the whole "you're fighting on ice" thing.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Leavemywife posted:

I played through this game a couple of months ago, and had no loving clue there was even a religion in this game.

I'm now wondering what other intricacies I missed in this game.

It's explored very briefly in Esto Gaza.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Bad Seafood posted:

Too bad Quina and Amarant never get any cutscenes. Amarant's looks like it would've been dope.

Well, you do seem them in CGI very briefly at the end of the game.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
This FMV sequence is my favorite in the series. The music, the cinematography, and the action are just amazing.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Two things I loved: One is that I almost shot Rockstar out of my nose with the Zaghnol-bullet-gif. Secondly, I love that the Zaghnol's Heave and Zidane's animation are so well synced. FFIX has such incredible animation work.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

KataraniSword posted:

The only characters we have currently that use more than one type of weapon are Zidane (daggers and thief swords) and Garnet (staves and... uh... lacrosse rackets). The only character we haven't seen yet with more than one type of weapon uses the same weapon types as Garnet.

So no, normal attack animations generally aren't going to change up any.
Garnet and the other character you're talking about only share one weapon type.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Were you gonna fight any Mandragoras near Quan's Dwelling? Pretty good source of EXP right now, even though their gimmick can really gently caress you up if you don't keep track of their HP.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Esto Gaza has one of the best town themes in any FF, but is also probably the least fleshed-out of any city in the game in terms of content. Probably my favorite snow/ice-themed village in the series, though.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
3x speed in FFIX PC is so useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Memoria's theme music is really, really good. Extended versions of it on Youtube make for great background/reading/mellow-out tunes.

• Locked thread