Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Practical Demon posted:

I think she might have actually been too good of an actor. She seemed to be giving weight and reality to the material when everyone else is hamming it up. If you just look at her part of the story, you can see why, too. Partner killed in front of her, having to kill his possessed corpse, blamed for the death, trying to hunt down his real killer. It reads like a serious arc. I'd blame that more on directing and writing not keeping things consistent than the actor. Once she was actually acting against Bruce, she loosened up immediately as she was brought more into the tone of the rest of the show.

Yeah, I think it was just a writing mistake. She was this totally different character running a different kind of story. She was basically the protagonist in a serious horror film while this campy horror movie was happening around her.

I was surprised to see her die but not necessarily upset. The character was so out of tune and the shift once she joined Ash's crew so jarring that I never really took to her. Given time she probably would have fit in but it just didn't work the way they did it.

Although I have no problem with her hunting after Ash. That made enough sense if you look at it from her perspective. But it also essentially made her an antagonist to the goofy, rear end in a top hat protagonist everyone loves. Even if he did actually cause all this poo poo.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think the episodes need to be longer in the sense that anything really needs to be added or fleshed out. However I've found that the pacing of the show just feels so hit and run and I think I probably would have enjoyed it more cut up into longer chunks. Like, the exact same footage and cuts but instead of 10 24 minute episodes its 4 60 minute ones. Just make it a month long thing in October and that's all. 1 episode on the setup, 1 on the Brujo, 1 on Fischer getting on board, and 1 on the cabin. MAYBE a little added content if you focused an episode around Ruby and Fischer so their thing felt less disjointed and forced into the early tone of the show. But that was my only real critical issue with the season and the only thing I thought they could have done better.

Obviously there's an easy viewer solution as you can just binge the show. I'm thinking I might do that for S2 too. I've got no major issues with the production of the show, just that the short episodes basically dragged it out more than I think it needed to.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bruteman posted:

So I signed up for that, promptly forgot about it, and lo and behold, this showed up today:

http://imgur.com/a/PXRap

I'm genuinely the most jealous right now I may have ever been in my life.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BreakAtmo posted:

It's totally obvious but I still wanted to point out how much Dana DeLorenzo owned as well. She's essentially played 3 different characters now and nailed it every time.

Yeah, crazy Kelly was loving terrifying and impressive.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kelly's definitely the one taking after Ash right down to the fact that she's doing this because of the bloody and traumatic slaughter of her family. Kelly's basically the same shocked, trauma victim embracing the carnage and making poor decisions that Ash was 30 years ago. After all, he didn't start the movie franchise as the Ash we know and love. Kelly's well on the path to Ash-hood.

Thematically Pablo's basically following his uncle (or grandfather?)'s path and generally is the more rational of the trio. He's also the only of the three who didn't get started in this because all his friends and family died bloody. He just got into this because of his hero worship of Ash, crush on Kelly, and general sense that he should give a poo poo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jerusalem posted:

Well to be fair the Necronomicon told them that would be a good idea and if you can't trust a sentient book of evil spells bound in human skin then who CAN you trust?

I've been torn on how stupid of a move I think that was. I mean, sure, don't trust the evil sentinent book. But what if he's telling the truth? Getting rid of the book for good makes a sort of sense. And the only person you could ask is Ruby who is hardly trustworthy. So you just gotta make a gut call.

Too bad Ash's gut is always wrong.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That was an awesome episode even though the ending was heart crushing. But I have hope. Pablo's connection to the Necronomicum brought the book back. So I could see the reverse happening.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zwabu posted:

so.

It also occurred to me that Ash vs. ED would be a great Left4Dead type game if you could play as the different team members.

Oh god, now I really hope that this show somehow leads to a kickass Evil Dead video game getting made. And I barely play games these days but I'd buy that one 100%.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

There's been several made over the years and ehhhhhhhnnnnnnnn.

I did specify "kick rear end."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Raimi had literally wanted to crossover the character from that film with Ash in a movie before the series came about. I honestly think that was the genesis for Kelly instead.

Huh, that actually really fits. I'm going with that theory.

I for one really liked the remake/reboot/whatever. It wasn't proper Evil Dead/Ash tone but it was a pretty effective and horrifying horror movie in its own rite. Also, I like to imagine that it's what happens when the Evil encounters people who aren't Ash Williams and who deal with it with abject horror instead of his Looney Tunes approach to things.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The remake didn't do anything unique or different, agreed. I just think its a good try at a standard horror monster/haunted house movie. Nothing groundbreaking, just a well played standard. Your interest in that may be limited but I'm one of those people who loves a solid horror film even if its old hat.

It doesn't fit with the Ash movies/TV show and I don't include it in rewatches. But from time to time I rewatch it all on its own like I would any random horror I enjoyed. I think you have to be able to remove it from the "Evil Dead" franchise to appreciate it for that same way people appreciate Halloween 3 if they just just accept it has nothing to do with Michael Myers.

I really do like this idea of "Kelly = Mia" though and the way Ash vs Evil Dead has done Baal, the children, and other demons actually fits pretty well with the demon Mia fought.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 6, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SeANMcBAY posted:

ED 2013 was a fine modern horror movie but it would have been better if it wasn't an ED remake, if that makes sense.

Yeah. If it had just had another name then it would have just been a good horror that kind of vaguely ripped off Evil Dead's premise but took it in a way more straight direction. It wouldn't have the burden of being compared to Ash, The Evil, or Deadites.

Of course it also wouldn't have carried the attention of being an Evil Dead remake and might have just been lost in the mess of generic horrors.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Deadites always seemed more interested in just creating chaos and with no clear direction. So I never even concerned myself with the idea of them not taking out Ash smarter because they really didn't seem to have a plan at all. That was another big difference with the remake because the demon(s) actually had an actual plan and reason to be killing people. Only the show really introduced that idea to Ash's world. Until Ruby/Baal it all seemed like just evil things loving around. Which is definitely part of what made the Evil Dead franchise unique.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well I get it in this case since a good remake/sequel/reboot should stick to the idea/spirit of the franchise even if it finds a new way to approach it and ED 2013 didn't do that at all. It abandoned the chaotic nature of Deadites and whacked out dark humor for a much more straight forward demonic plan plot. It basically took the loose outline of Evil Dead without keeping the tone.

Like I said, I think its a good movie on its own but its an arguably poor sequel or whatever part of the franchise its supposed to be.

Although, again, I like to look at it as what happens if normal hosed up people encounter Deadites instead of Ash Williams. And Baal and Ruby help make the whole "Wait, they have a plan?" thing fit better.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought the finale was fine, although the ending did feel like you were just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Sure, not much made sense but when does it in this franchise? The criticisms feel motivated by the news of production drama rather than the news being an answer to natural criticisms. Like, I kind of like the idea of that is original ending but when that guy says the finale "didn't feel like Evil Dead" I concluded he was probably as stubbornly blind as the other guy. Because that was a perfectly fine Evil Dead episode even if it wasn't the one he wanted and arguably not the best possible.

I'm sure the shoe will drop in S3. The Kelly idea is interesting but I'm not going to cry over it not being so. IF that tease was Mia then it doesn't matter what people think of the original since its not like the show will turn into it. At most they'll just drag Mia into this world and MAYBE Jane Leavy, which would be great because shes pretty cool from what I've seen her in. But I'm guessing that's a stretch so I'm content to just wait and see.

I enjoyed things.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It makes no real sense since Ash never finding the book should mean Ash never became what he is, Kelly's parents are alive and well, and Pablo's just some stock boy with a crush on his coworker. And yeah, lady who seems to not much care about her daughter having just died.

But again, when has Evil Dead ever really made any sense?

And, I mean, I guess there's theoretically some timey wimey explanation for how this stuff all still played out just in a different way or Ash, Kelly, and Pablo are removed from it it since they did the time traveling or the lady never had a daughter in this timeline or something. But do we really want that poo poo with Evil Dead?

I don't know. I guess I just decided to turn my brain off when Ash Williams is on the screen sometime around Army of Darkness. Its just mindless fun in my book. Which is why if the original ending had happened and Ash had banged Kelly's mom and become her dad I would have rolled my eyes a little but just gone with it because Ash said something funny.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well, like I said I agree that there was an odd feeling to that last scene and you were just waiting for it to all be another trick. I guess I was responding more to the "what feels like Evil Dead" stuff coming from that article/interview. Because while this wasn't the greatest episode of Evil Dead ever I thought it was perfectly good, if a little awkward with the landing. Which seemed to be your take too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I felt like the "death" of the cabin was probably supposed to be the big hit of the finale, but it just didn't connect with me. I agree with that fired showrunner guy that going back to the cabin for the second season finale in a row felt redundant and I was kind of just relieved that the third season might not do the same (although it might).

Because, yeah, it will come back.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Like the cabin isn't coming back...

I think if I just had Ruby smirk in that Final scene I would have been more satisfied. I liked the ep, but the last scene just didn't fit.

The thing is that the Evil Dead franchise is filled with those "Ash is happy, everything is ok" scenes that then just blow up in his face with a Deadite. The difference here is that instead of blowing it up they went with the Ruby walkthrough. It was a rare incident of restraint from this franchise and it felt odd.

edit: Doh, stupid double post.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'll be honest. I just am in disbelief that we're discussing "chronological sense" and continuity about Evil Dead. It feels like having a physics discussion after watching a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ashy Slashy is going to cost like $50 and as an adult with no kids I can't possible rationalize spending money on a puppet (and if I had kids why would I buy them this puppet?) but God drat am I going to want one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I literally don't remember how last season ended.

Which gives me an awesome excuse to rewatch it!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

LashLightning posted:

There still appears to be some threat to a fourth season, I think. The Kelly actor was pushing some campaign on Facebook about something happening to Starz - presumably if something happens to Starz, a new season isn't so likely.

I know Starz just suddenly disappeared from my cable in 2018. I'd be real, real mad about that and it keeping me from Ash but I've been conditioned over the years to assume this will resolve with an increase in my cable bill in a matter of weeks.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think we established last season that Ash has a pretty high tolerance for substance abuse. He's not a lightweight, he's just a horny fool.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I really can't see anyone making Ash vs Evil Dead without a lot of schlocky comedy, body horror, and Ash. Like, if Season 3 suddenly became the Evil Dead remake that would be weird and offputting (and I like the remake) but I can't imagine there's anyone involved who thinks that would work.

But yeah, there's a LOT of room to "cut back" without actually getting anywhere close to there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought it was funny but it was also REALLY REALLY extreme and when people mention it as the big division point for the "serious guy" it just doesn't resonate with me at all. Like I don't think not wanting that scene makes you a no fun serious guy. I think it just puts your taste line at a pretty reasonable place.

But yeah, I don't know how you could have Ash/Bruce Campbell and not keep the series plenty at its schlocky heart.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I got Starz back! I can watch Ash weekly without waiting til its over and subscribing for one month to binge!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Counterparts is definitely on my list although I'm leaning towards just waiting and binging it on the app now (which was the plan anyway, that I was going to wait until Ash was done and then binge both).

And I've seen American Gods, but another show I'm glad to have weekly access back for. Also glad that I can finish my Black Sails watch.

But Ash. That's the one that really has me pumped.

edit: And yes, I've seen, love, and rewatched Spartacus like 3 times.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm going to be a little sad when the new season isn't half terrifying cartoons.

Just finished binging and I did not remember how S2 ended at all. Glad I did it. Plus, you know, it was awesome.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Were there really THAT many horror movies that ended up innnnn spaaaaace? Like is it possible for Jason X to be satirizing Jason X?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I get that Jason X is basically a sendup of the franchise, genre, and general 90's space/extreme stuff.

But like... Jason... the Leprechaun... I'm blanking on other crazy rear end horrors that went to space (that didn't start there for reasons). Maybe the PuppetMaster Puppets got up there? I don't remember the Cenobites but I don't think I've seen every Hellraiser movie.

God drat it, Critters is good and started in space and specifically wasn't innnnn spaaaace it was onnnnn eaaaaarth!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'll grant that maybe there were more than I realized as long as we don't start counting the Alien movies or Phantasm or something because they started in space.

But I will not concede Critters. They were aliens being hunted by aliens. Its built in, drat it!

Also now I kind of want Ash to fight some Critters.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But they were aliens and there were spaceships and laser guns in that barn. Built in.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Deadite Pablo! Oh no!

That was some intense poo poo between Pablo getting possessed and Kelly getting infected. Can't wait to see how they get out of it and horrified that they might not totally. Love my Horrific Scooby Doo show.

Burkion posted:

This season remains great.

Legit surprised the dude in the cellar didn't go Deadite

There's still time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm just gonna say it.

Its a bad idea. I get why it was thought of and tossed around and I get why people like it. But its totally unnecessary and would just be forced at this stage.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, if it had been a thing from early on I would have gone with it. But at this stage it just doesn't fit at all, not just because of what's happened with other stuff and characters but also with Kelly herself. She's her own character. She's got her own stuff now. I love the idea that she wasn't content to just stay with Ash like Pablo but she went off to find someone to fight more Evil with and get more answers. She doesn't need to be forced into another idea of another character.

Like at this stage I think I may see Pablo and Kelly as characters almost as equal and full as Ash. It will be tough to get all the way there since Ash has been a character for decades. But I think Pablo and Kelly are as far there as they can be in a couple of years. They deserve their own lanes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Between Starz dropping off cable platforms this year and the fact that the show gets pre-released on their streaming service each week I'm not really sure how anyone could expect the ratings NOT to be down.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The behind the scenes about all the ways they emotionally scarred three year olds was something else.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TheBizzness posted:

Every episode I’m surprised by how loving jacked Pablo is.

Yeah, I was genuinely shocked the first time he took his shirt off. Its remarkable what some baggy clothes and really distracting hairdo can hide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wasn't really expecting Kelly to lose her leg because that seemed way too on the nose and its exactly what I think the show doesn't need to be doing and would feel too hacky. She's her own character, she doesn't have to be Ash 2.0.

But I also wasn't completely discounting the possibility of it.

• Locked thread