Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

infernal machines posted:

i have the mx master. it's v. good and the battery lasts weeks. if for some reason i need to use it while it's charging, the cable plugs in the front and it's still usable as a mouse.

one day perhaps apple can hope to achieve this level of design and functionality

has Apple ever made a decent mouse or were they all hockey pucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

mishaq posted:

they should have put a female lighting port on the top of the pencil since it has no eraser functionality anyway

they should've put an eraser on the top and a male lightning that pops out of the side so it could be plugged in either for charging or just to be held on the bottom of the ipad when not in use, and no cap to lose

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Smythe posted:

it was called YOSIAPOS back then

YOYOSPOS (Ye Olde YOSPOS)

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

infernal machines posted:

“one of the real insights here is, have you ever used other cases and tried to get them on?”

“So the guys had this great insight to put the bend in along with making it a smart case,” Cook explained.

so insightful
much bend

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shaggar posted:

the ipad was a pretty useless device and tablets have been supplanted by phablets and larger phones.

then why is microsoft so obsessed with tablet/laptop hybrids

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

triple sulk posted:

at least the surface is a tablet that runs an os capable of more than browsing or making a word document

but if tablets aren't important than why shoehorn a desktop os into one and piss off users

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
news app features wsj articles that require subscription to read past the opening paragraph

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

PleasureKevin posted:

there's a couple things that point to apple's new display tech being 3D

first, it was rumoured some time ago that the 6S would be 3D. further back, apple has been adding 3D features to their interfaces, like parallax in iOS 7 and the app switcher in iOS 9. when announcing iOS 7 they touted the 3D nature of the UI rendering.

also, it is well-known that both tim cook and jonny ive occupy at least three spatial dimensions. it would be natural for these 3D beings to create a phone which faithfully represents their dimensional experiences

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Dislike button posted:

yep and that's pretty much what Tim Cook is saying, it's political crap to attack them for following the rules when the governments responsibility is to set and enforce those rules. Of course they have better things to do like try to repeal obamacare for 70th time

yeah corps aren't subject to notions of human morality but they also don't need to be defended by fanboys against political attacks as though their human feelings are hurt. apple is a convenient example of a large company that pays less US tax than joe voter might consider fair, and politicians using them as an example to advocate for corporate tax reform is perfectly valid since any eventual law changes would be applied equally to their fellow multinationals.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Dislike button posted:

hardly a fanboy I'm just pointing out that Tim Cook happens to be correct about how retarded the us corporate tax code is and if anything he didn't go far enough in his criticism.

no, that's fair, i wasn't trying to imply the fanboy was you, it was more of a general observation

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
apple maps still doesn't have small streets in my area that are on not just google maps but openstreetmaps. its pretty impressive that its stayed bad this long.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
if you have two apps in splitscreen and you reboot then it doesn't put them back the way it was when you log in again even if that little checkbox is checked (more proof steve jobs is ded)

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shaggar posted:

apple cables disintegrate with normal use

Shaggar posted:

apple cables are the lowest quality. you need to go with monoprice or amazon basics if you want cables that last

shaggar was right. ive had three apple lightning/30pin cables turn blue/green and then burst open at the seams. had similar happen to two magsafe's. i'm not rough on my cables. the amazon basics lightning cable is still going strong (as is every other computer cable i've ever used by any other manufacturer)

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i haven't been keeping up w/usb standards, what the gently caress is this microsoft-level horseshit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_3.1 posted:

In 2015, USB 3.1 was renamed USB 3.1 Gen2 to differentiate it from USB 3.1 Gen1 (5Gbps, formerly USB 3.0). It initiated a new naming scheme where the data speed is referred to by Generation number.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Wheany posted:

they've been doing it since the high-speed/full-speed bullshit

that was def stupid but now you have to say "usb 3.1 rev2", hardware standards that get updated maybe twice a decade isn't supposed to need 3 levels of numeric specification

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

pseudorandom name posted:

I wonder how "distance from Apple Store" compares to "accuracy of Apple Maps".

im 2 miles from one and they still don't have my street on the map yet, or any of the other nearby streets. i've reported it missing in apple maps multiple times. these are small side streets that are part of an apartment complex, but it means Maps can't direct people to my home. google and even openstreetmaps have the streets just fine. it's really inexcusable >2 years after launch

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
Kevin why are u associating with an unrepentant sex offender
Kevin who do you think you're going to "Pleasure" exactly

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

PleasureKevin posted:

can you link me to said thread so i can face my accusers as is my right

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741325&pagenumber=282&perpage=40#post454622838

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i'm cool with usb-c charging if it means just one real power adapter and a generic external battery for extra juice when needed

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gAMIH1yz0I
:dong: :dong::dong: :dong::dong: :dong::dong: :dong::dong: :dong::dong: :dong::dong: :dong::dong: :dong::dong: :dong::dong: :dong:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
reviews all say surprisingly spotty battery life, touchbar is a work in progress, usb-c still nascent, and it costs too much. guess im sticking with my early 2013 another year and see how their next update shakes out. sounds like the new keyboard design is decent tho

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

that spot on the left is a really weird design choice. if you're going to have it symmetric with the physical power button on the right, just make it a hardware ESC key like the nerds want and save the touchbar space for the other poo poo. when they showed the first pictures i had assumed that's what it was.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

C.H.O.M.E posted:

hm, the last time I used one of those was maybe 2010 so I don't really care. however in the past year I have used:

magsafe not pulling my laptop off the desk
USB-A plugs
SD card reader

i got one word for you, pal: dongle

here, i'll throw in two of these (a pair of listicles always complements a nice dongle)

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
guys didn't you watch the video? that book is dedicated to steve jobs (pbuh), show some respect

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
the new non-touchbar mbp has a removable ssd, so they can't even say it's some inherent trade-off in the new design

also those speaker grills always looked ugly imo so if they're not even useful it's even stupider

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it might actually be though. the touchbar is a complete watchOS system embedded in the macbook, arm chips screen and all

they may honestly need the extra space to deliver the same battery capacity

well a lot of reviews say the touchbar models have significantly worse battery life anyway, so if that's the explanation they probably should've just made it a millimeter thicker or something. they also needed room for the extra thunderbolt controller i guess.

but any way you slice it this is looking like the ipad 3, a product pushed out a couple of months before the underlying tech was where it needed to be to meet deadlines. maybe 6-9 months from now they'll update with the newer intel chips and other tweaks and it'll be good, who knows

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Linguica posted:

it looks like the Macbook Escape and the Touchbar Edition were two entirely different potential designs, with the former having up-firing speakers and the latter not, and Tim said "porque no los dos?" and then they added fake speaker grilles on the touchbar edition so that it didn't look like it was gimped compared to the cheaper one

ifixit now says there are high-freq tweeters that probably use the speaker grille. still looks ugly tho

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

uncurable mlady posted:

guy at work got a touchbar 15" and the trackpad is ridiculously huge

but the keyboard is real nice, feels better than the regular macbook keyboard.

is there a downside to the big trackpad other than maybe some palm rejection issues, or does it just look comical?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

wow you're the first one to witness a dongle exposed on the subway

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Citizen Tayne posted:

Apple sucks now. The New Function Key 13" MacBook will be my last laptop.

to be fair it might be lastpass doing something stupid in their app, although it would be p funny if apple was so busy jerking off over touchid that they didn't even consider that someone might still hand type a password

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

C.H.O.M.E posted:

if it is a password manager it should say something like "password for account <userid>" there's like no way it should ever say "my password" that is just insane

no i mean lastpass might have rolled a non-standard password box that wasn't marked as "do not parse this input" for whatever api the touch bar interfaces with. it wouldn't have been a problem until now so they might just need to fix their app. real question is whether password fields in every app do this or just lastpass

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

hobbesmaster posted:

unless president trump allows the construction of giant factory cities that are immune to all environmental impact studies, worker safety regulations and whining from nimbys

so ur saying its gunna happen

i mean how else is he gunna revitalize "the inner cities"

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

THC posted:

cant believe anyone uses lastpass when 1password is a thing

i have used both, and while 1password is better in many ways, its icloud sync is poo poo. multiple times it has failed to sync with no notice until i tried to fill a recent login on my phone and it just wasn't there. now they seem to be pushing their own lastpass-like subscription service with their own servers for sync, idk if its better or just a way to keep up a steady revenue stream.. but the whole value prop of these commercial p/w managers is security and convenience, the minute i need to janitor my p/w database synchronization i might as well be using some open sores abomination.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
yeah, lastpass hosed up its password fields
https://twitter.com/jnadeau/status/799769496068100096

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Wild EEPROM posted:

rear end pass

my fart is my passport

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Mad Wack posted:

my new touchbar mac is here today, its nice

the matte surface of the touchbar feels especially good to slide your frenulum along during the unboxing

so... does apple.com break the touchbar's safari tabs for you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyezMO6TcOw

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

mishaq posted:

im the demo of a bug in an apple store

lol remember when random dipshits were bending iphablets in the Apple store and posting the video?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

lord funk posted:

i ran into the password autocorrect things from a few pages ago. i was typing something elsewhere and one of my passwords appeared as the autocorrect solution. loving hell

actually then the touchbar is good, it's embarrassing lazy devs who aren't using the right field for password entry. even on macs w/o a touchbar that leaky password data is probably being stored for predictive input analysis somewhere vulnerable, or being entered in a way that's less hardened to spyware, etc etc

do passwords entered in webforms on the major third party browsers show up too, or just random badly made apps? i know firefox rolls it's own cross platform UI widgets...

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Stymie posted:

reiterating my request to change the thread title to "apple thread - the human donglepede"

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

first u say there's too many dongles. then u say they should make yet another dongle. there's just no pleasing some folks!!

• Locked thread