Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

someone do a round up of all the posts about the ipad pro and the pencil in yospos when it was announced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

ipad hueg is a fantastic bit of kit, but unless you can justify blowing nearly a thousand quid on a content consumption device you don't need it.

you'll never use it for 'office work', Surface p. much holds all those cards.

wrong again

quote:

Sales of high-end iPads to business customers in particular have been strong. Nearly half of all iPads are now bought by corporations and governments, according to the research firm Forrester.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/08/technology/once-taunted-by-steve-jobs-companies-are-now-big-customers-of-apple.html?_r=0

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

it's finally happened just like i predicted

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-16/intel-licenses-arm-technology-in-move-to-boost-foundry-business

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the final step will be spinning off the foundry business

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

this marks the final victory of apple over intel. the newly chastened intel will grovel at apple's feet for an A-series chip contract

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

"The thing you have to remember is that this was before the iPhone was introduced and no one knew what the iPhone would do... At the end of the day, there was a chip that they were interested in that they wanted to pay a certain price for and not a nickel more and that price was below our forecasted cost. I couldn't see it. It wasn't one of these things you can make up on volume. And in hindsight, the forecasted cost was wrong and the volume was 100x what anyone thought."

It was the only moment I heard regret slip into Otellini's voice during the several hours of conversations I had with him. "The lesson I took away from that was, while we like to speak with data around here, so many times in my career I've ended up making decisions with my gut, and I should have followed my gut," he said. "My gut told me to say yes."

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

are you sure that password change thing isnt because its managed by your employer. thats the only time ive seen ppl posting about it

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Stymie posted:

cool thanks for the article link

now defend the impending dongle disaster for iphone 7

it's going to be great. here's what's going to happen

apple will release the new iphone and then there will be the traditional manufactured outrage on the internet that accompanies every iphone release for a couple of weeks, but no one in the real world will care so apple will still end up selling millions of iphones once again. the only difference is that apple smartly leaked that the headphone jack was being removed almost a year in advance (i think january was the first reports about it) and then again with a controlled leak to the WSJ in the summer which was designed to bait nilay patel and the other apple haters. they obviously took the bait because they can't help themselves and because ultimately everyone was going to have the same take so they had to publish right then and now or miss out on the traffic to competition. everything went according to apple's plan and the first wave of outrage was in the middle of summer when everyone is on vacation, news is slow, and not many people are expecting apple news or are paying attention to news in general. now everyone is used to the idea and has come to accept it as inevitable, the criticism was also blunted by the fact that the other phone manufacturers also read apple rumors and started releasing phones without headphone jacks as well as intel saying usb-c is going to replace them. this made nilay very mad because he would have really liked to have had his take coincide with the high traffic period of an apple launch but also because he had to put this little preamble at the top of his post acknowledging apple wasn't the first to do this before he went into his apple-centric rant

apple was smart to leak it in advance to get the apple haters to blow their wads early, but also because they're introducing this change on a non-traditional "S" release that would normally be a redesign. the 10 year anniversary iphone next year will be the major redesign and by then everyone will have gotten used to the idea of no headphone jack, at a minimum, and no one will be able to bring it up again then. plus this fiscal year all the numbers are perceived to be bad because of tough comps year over year after the iphone 6 pulled forward upgrades and new customers massively, so this year and next year is the perfect time to reset expectations for investors, buyback stock at an insanely cheap discount to fair value, and avoid the entirely predictable narratives from the press that would accompany all their apple news stories. its also perfectly set up to catch all the upgrades from the iphone 6 owners cause most people will replace their phones every 2-3 years

and as for the impact on users themselves, the change will also be great in typical apple fashion. while the retard anroid OEMs aped apple's design choice at a very shallow level without any thought to implementation details, apple doesn't do that and has never. the new way to listen will be via wireless (bluetooth, something properietary, or both) and apple will undoubtedly get all the details right with an extremely polished solution

the only question is whether they'll include lightning headphones in the box or some basic wireless ones with having some better one be a $199 option. lightning in the box makes the most sense cause it wouldnt kill demand for the wireless ones, but that would depend on how much they can differentiate the good ones from the ones that would come in the box for free.

in either case it will be very good and apple will be proven correct immediately but also over the long arc of time, as usual

cremnob fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 22, 2016

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the iphone 7, if it followed the normal pattern, would have gotten a redesign this year but it's just gonna be a tweak to the same iphone 6 design. it will probably still be called iphone 7 cause i think they're gonna stop using S for iphones

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

apple doesn't include the pencil or a keyboard with the ipad pro cause they aren't necessary just like wireless headphones aren't necessary, they're just nice to have.

i dont think apple needs to justify it at all, beyond providing the superior solution

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Ghost Farts posted:

How long will it take for The Verge to like dongle? 2 days
Will dongle be a success? Yes
Total Apple dongle sales: 500 bn USD
Total Samsung dongle phones over the next two years: 3000
Total deaths of people who starved while waiting for the new iPhone 7 Plus Pro: 15 dead
Will this cause waiting Apple users to leave the lines? No
Will dongle come in rosegold? No
Will Apple introduce a dongle to attach two dongles to one dongle?: Yes
Will Apple introduce dongle as "incredible, awesome, amazing"? Yes
Will the media refer to the introduction of dongle as "donglegate"? No
-If yes; will Apple retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Tim sacrifice Jonny (make him introduce dongle/move him to sales)? No
Will LG subsequently introduce a donglephone that supports 8 dongles simultaneously? Yes
Will Google do anything silly like try for modular dongles? Yes
Will a fake dongle cause a series of fires? Yes
How long will the dongle trend persist? ~15 years
Will Steve Jobs rise from the dead to prevent dongle?No
In the long run, will dongle be good or bad for the world? Good

We have to look at what those user casualties are- just because they're likely doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A civilian walking down the street to market gets killed by a truck while fiddling for dongle.

2) A civilian asleep in their house is killed when their house catches fire due to a fake dongle.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since Apple doesn't make a habit of targetting poors who walk or buy fake accessories, they're very small in number!

3) An Android user working at a hackerspace gets electrocuted when he plugs a dongle into an electrical outlet.

4) A Chinese preparing a shipment of fake dongles sold on Aliexpress is killed when the shipment explodes.

5) A non-certified tech repairing an iPhone 7 Pro Plus is killed when a dongle shorts.

6) A YouTuber bleeds to death from a paper cut while unboxing dongle.

7) A techbro chokes to death on a dongle that fell into his Soylent without him noticing.

etc, etc. The list goes on. My point is that there are a lot of dipshit poors and idiots supporting non-Apple approved solutions that aren't exactly "innocent" and whose death would rightly please Apple. I'm an Apple user who jailbroke his iPhone and work for a ridesharing but for goldfishes startup, but I acknowledge I'm also a tremendous idiot hellfucker because of what I do. And I think the vast majority of user casualties will not be innocent.

apple can't worry too much about the 2nd or 3rd order effects of any decisions they make or they'd be held back to the level of mediocrity of android

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

its weird that the wireless airpods havent leaked yet and we're just weeks away from the iphone release

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

quote:

“Our practices tend to reinforce a natural selection bias — those who are interested in working as a team to deliver a great product versus those whose primary motivation is publishing,” says Federighi.

BTFO

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

iOS 9.3.5 is out and it patches a bunch of zero days

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

sad that a once great titan of silicon valley has now been reduced to a garden variety foundry

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

angry_keebler posted:

i hope tim cook spends the 14 billion to hire the murder squad from michael clayon to kill every member of the eu parliament and when scott pelley interviews him for the shocking 60 minutes story he just nods and says "actually scott, what i heard is they all decided to commit suicide for some reason, but in a very stylish and elegant way, and if anybody comes to arrest me they'll probably also commit suicide. oh, and by the way, have you seen the all new apple watch 2?"

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

shaggar is right (on this tax issue)

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

you wont do that anymore and you'll be fine because you'll be using the new airpods

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"airpods" are not gonna replace headphones dude

not to mention i do not see how having yet another thing to charge resolves the charging problem

it solves your weird edge case that you think is this thing that would prevent apple from removing the headphone jack (as if they didn't know how many people and how often have played audio out to headphones while the phone charged via analytics)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

you're welcome

• Locked thread