Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

it really sucks when you work hard on something and some idiot leaks it and spoils the announcement.

they're already working on the next version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

multiple ~*tech journalists*~ have said it's someone inside apple who leaked it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

still though, being not an apple employee and getting Genuinely Mad Online because of press conference spoilers is loving hilarious

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Plank Walker posted:

like what are the actual negatives for apple of this being leaked? tech journo hot takes start on monday instead of tuesday?

absolutely nothing other than some more reputational "apple can't keep a secret" biz or I guess chinese fakes coming out a little faster than before? it's too late for anyone to change what they're doing

it's impossible to ramp up a supply chain to make 100 million of something without thousands of people being a part of it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

samsung will poo poo out their own face thingy tonight that they wrote over the weekend and everyone will buy the new galaxy SX with S-face technology powered by the new 32-core tegraXL

samsung already has a face thingy and it can be fooled by an image on another phone

wasn't their fingerprint scanner storing pngs in a public directory?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh hey it's the annual waaaah things are slightly more expensive in my country with free college and healthcare and a 17-20% tax on everything

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

next year they'll make touchid work through the screen and then brag about how innovative they're being and also about how they're giving their customers more options

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

just for people who may be new to this game: if you can help it avoid the first years' version of any new apple platform, maybe even two years

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

reviews of the iphone x: "amazing phone with serious flaws"
reviews of the iphone xii: "cyborg tim has done it again"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the main thing I learned today was that touchid has a dupe rate of 1:50,000 I'd thought it would be way higher than that

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cool if true

quote:

Cast your eye over the specifications for the recently launched iPhone X and iPhone 8 (and 8 Plus) and you'll find a new addition to the list of audio formats supported. In amongst all the usual suspects is FLAC, a feature that was spotted during the initial trials of a new iOS back in June.

The fact the spec of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus also now show FLAC support would seem to suggest that it's coming as part of iOS 11, the latest version of Apple's operating system which is due to launch for download on 19th September. Could hi-res audio support be on the horizon too?

However, there's no mention of the file format on the respective pages for the iPhone 6 or 6S so it doesn't appear to be a universal roll-out. Also it looks like it's a case of one format in and a couple out. Neither WAV nor AIFF is listed on the supported formats for the new handsets, or the previous generation.
lol @ high res audio though

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

honestly the presentation just made me want an se more, and to spend that extra money on a new subwoofer or something

a wise investment, imo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I installed the GM and there’s no button for removing the beta profile under settings > general

does Tim automatically remove the beta profile upon installation of the GM?

nope you'll start getting betas of 11.0.1

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the magic of kinect is that they marketed it really well so it actually sold ok at first, until people figured out that fruit ninja and just dance were literally the only good applications of it but at that point micrtosoft had pivoted their two actually decent studios 100% onto kinect stuff and well :rip:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

pretty disappointed that they retained the camera hump on the X

probably a non-clown-sized 8 here

can you order for in-store pickup?

iirc they usually allow for pickup after the first week or so of ordering have passed but they might allow it right away too

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I looked it up because I was curious and apple specifically says that their branded cases don't interfere with wireless charging

I should have guessed, they'd never give up that sweet, sweet high margin revenue stream

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

just a piece of glass

with a weird asymmetrical camera bump on it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you own an iphone ten you'll stop noticing the bertbrow unless you have an app that isn't set up for it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

something like this?

um, NO obviously not, that's ridiculous

it'll look like this

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm going to wait for the first point release or more likely a few days from now when the red badge on the settings app enrages me

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lightbulb Out posted:

ios11 seems fine but why the heck is the messages app more cluttered

because they're going to keep cramming exciting new features nobody wants into it as long as other chat/picture chat applications exist

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jimmy Carter posted:

Apple went to intel and said 'hey man you wanna build the ARM processor we're gonna stuff into a phone?' and Otellini's response was 'nahhhhhh you won't sell enough to turn a real profit, it isn't worth it for us' and then sold off XScale.

this is some fifth beatle poo poo right here

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

he really is the shittiest human

the people who made him president like murdoch, the kochs and mercer are worse, donald trump is just a symptom, actual billionaires are the disease

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

these are apple's first quick-charge capable phones iirc, you need a good charger for that to work

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

after having it for 6 months I'm fine with my macbook pro escape key edition keyboard but it definitely takes some getting used to

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

firewire was too fuckin' weird to live because either end could provide power (except if it was the connector type that couldn't) and it could be anywhere from like 5v to 30v and up to 45 watts

ain't nobody dealing with that poo poo

when it first came out the press was like "apple's license fees are hurting adoption" so they dropped the license fees and nobody outside of video people and niche apple-specific accessory companies ever really used it because it's a weird-rear end protocol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had an anker that split recently, it probably lasted longer than the apple cable it replaced but it's not like they're indestructible

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

sure but I'll bet you it was at least 40% cheaper than equivalent Apple cable at the time

the equivalent cable came with my ipad so it was either free or incredibly expensive depending on how you do the math

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

are you guys like afraid of mice or something idg why everyone has such a boner for textmode editors but I don't code janitor and I was an emacs guy when I did so that probably explains it

• Locked thread