Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burning swine
May 26, 2004

Hi keyboards thread

I'm here to report on the quality of the CODE keyboard. This one has greens with the o-rings removed

I'm disappointed because greens are fantastic to type on :( it took me less than a year to do this to the original keycaps. Now I need to sign up for some nerd massdrop to get better replacements.

On the upside, I bought a unicomp to replace this one and that is now my favorite keyboard ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Mercurius posted:

also FopeDush the tenkeyless code keyboard is winning on one of the polls as well so you might be able to get one of those cheaper

Thanks for the heads up but I really don't want to replace the whole board. I'd rather invest in a nice set of PBT keycaps made for backlighting. Probably these ones, in black:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/vortex-backlit-doubleshot-pbt-keycaps

burning swine
May 26, 2004

je1 healthcare posted:

My coworker got a mechanical keyboard and hearing the constant loud clacking all day makes me want to murder. Who's problem is this? How do I ask him to type quieter without sounding like an autist? NOTE: I have headphones that I wear all the time but they only slightly muffle the background noise because I don't listen to music
Come to realize that the sound of a mechanical keyboard in use is actually the most beautiful music there is

Duh

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Hi nerds

My doubleshot PBT backlit massdrop arrived last night and I slapped it onto the code keyboard. Feels p. good

Unfortunately the backlighting is on the upper part of the key so for the number row i have illuminated ! @ # $ % ^ but nearly invisible numbers

oh well still feels good man

I'll post pics when I have a chance

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Oh right I remembered I already took pics of a few loose keys for comparison:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

The N/C/S lights are impossible to see if you're a lazy sloucher like me

otherwise solid as hell

burning swine
May 26, 2004

surebet posted:

back at the office for the foreseeable future, so i got my door back and no more "6 people to a single work desk" startup tom fuckery, so the m is my daily boar again

is there such a thing as ~bespoke artisanal~ model m caps? i yearn to have a dolch look but p much everything is for cherries

Not that I've seen, but stock model M keycaps are already dye-subliminated PBT so there isn't much room for improvement other than looking cooler

Doubleshots would def. be neat but I have yet to see anyone actually wear the lettering off of a subliminated cap

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Ehhh the keycaps that come with the code keyboard fade through very very easily, would avoid

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

WASD V2 104-Key Doubleshot PBT Black/Slate Mechanical Keyboard Cherry MX Clears en route

This was a good choice

burning swine
May 26, 2004

echinopsis posted:

u sure mate? coz last I looked they were backlit which requires them to be doubleshot??

definitely not doubleshot

FopeDush posted:

Hi keyboards thread

I'm here to report on the quality of the CODE keyboard. This one has greens with the o-rings removed

Comparison of the original CODE keycaps with some massdrop doubleshots:

FopeDush posted:

Oh right I remembered I already took pics of a few loose keys for comparison:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

jony neuemonic posted:

i have a code at work and the keys went shiny immediately. clears are real good though.

Put some massdrop caps on it and be happy forever

I've got the one with greens and no o-rings and I love it

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

when i first hooked it up, i was having a hard time figuring out what was so great about it. the buckling spring board felt more satisfying with the resistance and clackiness. but after an evening of typing i'm sold. the keys have a grippy feel to them and the keypresses are assertive but forgivign. where the spring board was like a powerful B17 flying fortress, this one is much more on the level of a sleek SR-71 blackbird or stealth bomber

The P-26 peashooter of keyboards

burning swine
May 26, 2004

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

you hauled away garbage for free, why wouldn't he

INCORRECT

my last IT job netted me a free AT101W and it's basically the best thing that has ever happened to me

Gateway drug into the world of excellent keyboards

You have been blessed, friend

burning swine
May 26, 2004

keyboard friends i'm here to report that under devices and printers the unicomp model M shows up as a "Ruffian 6"

so +10 points to unicomp i think

burning swine
May 26, 2004

surebet posted:

christ what even has greens anymore?

Greens are the best. I got the code with greens and removed the o-rings and it's p. great

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Bloody posted:

im the replacement of an inrush limiting inductor with a short

just jam a penny in there

burning swine
May 26, 2004

El Laucha posted:

Whats the general opinion on Wasd keyboards?

I am currently using a model m that I bold-modded and its working fine (except 1 key that started getting stuck and I have yet to fix :effort:). I was thinking of ordering a wasd keyboard, but with shipping and customs I am looking at twice the price tag, so is it worth it?

e:

temp setup, this was just after I moved.

Super solid boards but at the end of the day they're just a well-built board with Cherry switches. IMO their best value is in the fact that you can buy them with no keys then get yourself some sweet-rear end massdrop PBTs without paying for stuff you're going to throw out.

If you fall into the small group of users who wants a keyboard that can switch (in hardware) between qwerty/dvorak/etc then it may well be the best option out there.

I still thing the num/caps/scroll lights on the WASD v2 are very poorly positioned and I'm thinking about modding mine to move them.

Alternately, if you really like the model M, you can check out some of unicomp's offerings. They have what is basically a model M but with a smaller footprint, windows key, USB, and black/gray colors. PBT keys and buckling springs out of the box and they're way cheaper than WASD

e: http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/UB40P4A

burning swine fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 3, 2016

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Tatsujin posted:

ive honestly been thinking about getting a unicomp for home use

a pro choice

burning swine
May 26, 2004

code w/ greens superiority

burning swine
May 26, 2004

it's cool but then your life becomes miserable the second you sit down at any computer other than your own

burning swine
May 26, 2004

never tried clears but i'm gonna get my hands on my first browns soon

exciting time to be alive am i right

burning swine
May 26, 2004

minivanmegafun posted:

MX brown? you could say they

don't really click

:smugdog:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

greens are the best of the clicky switches

except maybe buckling springs

burning swine
May 26, 2004

My vermilo tenkeyless with browns arrived today

usin' it upstairs on my tv-puter. It's super needs suiting and good

First time i've had cherry keys other than blues or greens. I like em

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Your best bet is still a unicomp, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.

If you're dead-set on finding an antique mech keyboard with windows keys, you might look in to an AT101W

burning swine
May 26, 2004

surebet posted:

:holymoley:

that ticks off most of the boxes, ps/2, mech, #brand consistent, clicky and awesome

plus for whatever reason alps dolch sets are hella cheap compared to mx ones

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1362

gonna have to pick one off of ebay or something

helllll yeah son

AT101W was my first mech board. I painted mine blue and converted it to usb with a curly cable and loved it forever. Then one of the arrow keys died and I went off in search of greater glory

I still have it though and I'd consider fixing the one key then getting a sw8 keycap set

burning swine
May 26, 2004

rip das keyboard

how the mighty have fallen

burning swine
May 26, 2004

kalstrams posted:

ayy lmao, it's a texan company that used to make good keyboards. unlabelled wasnt an option until like 3rd gen, and never was the only option for any given model either

My recollection is that unlabelled was the only option on the first gen, and the second gen, which sold a ton of units, came in both varieties. Anyway we owe das a debt of gratitude for popularizing mech keyboards in general and cherry keys specifically

I still use my das mark 2 with blues erryday and it continues to own

burning swine
May 26, 2004

quote:

Keyswitch: "They passed this way, the day before yesterday. They met someone they did not expect. Does that comfort you?"

Aragorn: "Who are you? Show yourself!"

[The light dims, revealing CHERRY MX SWITCH, dressed in GREEN.]

[Legolas bows before CHERRY MX GREEN SWITCH, Gimli following him.]

Aragorn: "It cannot be!"

Legolas: "Forgive me. I mistook you for CHERRY MX BLUE SWITCH."

Keyswitch: "I am CHERRY MX BLUE SWITCH. Or rather, CHERRY MX BLUE SWITCH as he should have been."

burning swine fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 20, 2016

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Raluek posted:

keycaps look kind of lovely. are greentech switches any good? i thought they were just cherry knockoff also-rans

oof, they do look awful. das keyboard is bad now

burning swine
May 26, 2004

ABS pad-printed

lol

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Symbolic Butt posted:

you'd think a spring would make a higher pitch but who the hell knows how keyboard acoustics works. not me

nah it isn't the spring that makes the sound, it's the big metal plate at the bottom of the switch suddenly smacking down into a contact

burning swine
May 26, 2004

you _can_ get pbt doubleshot caps made for backlighting, and they're heck of heck of nice, but I don't know of any keyboard that comes with them stock, so you've gotta massdrop it. Then you might end up with weird poo poo like the symbol being lit up instead of the number on the top row, etc

burning swine
May 26, 2004

when I converted my AT101W to usb I installed a hub in it. owned hard

the das 2.0 has a hub, and mine is only a single cable. I think they added the second one to get more amperage

burning swine
May 26, 2004

But seriously find a new job, open floor plans are the death of productivity

burning swine
May 26, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

kb has arrived and it's stupid loud

idk if i like it

i can't believe all this hype about mech keys lmao. the 'lovely' scissor keys on my logitech kb feel the same as this

actually

burning swine
May 26, 2004

pr0zac posted:

Get some greens

Confirming that greens without o-rings own own own

burning swine
May 26, 2004

echinopsis posted:

personal shame : haven't tried greens
blues aren't the same tho: they are a distinct plastic click sound: like flicking a small bit of plastic

My code is all greens. Theyre good, better than blues, but still have that plastic sound/feel

echinopsis posted:

think is for me : like mx boards.. it's a sweet as gently caress clack. don't get me wrong - model ms feel good to type on.. but they are an old
keyboard/ haven't moved with the times

this is incorrect, they're actually ownage and the "ultra classic" version has a very modern footprint

I got elder postsman a unicomp for yosmas this year :ohdearsass: come vindicate my opinion, postsman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

i have an ultra classic and it was very, very good until several keys stopped working

That sucks. Contact them? They do repairs on post-warranty boards (including original model Ms) for reasonable prices. Typically they'll repair and send you back your own board

• Locked thread